Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to protect Joe Burrow, and win this game.
(01-24-2022, 02:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Do you like our interior’s chances against Aaron Donald if we make it that far?

I still like it better than what TEN was doing schematically. People don't understand that what happened saturday wasn't just because of who was rushing but what they were doing on the backend. Late rotations and simulated pressures (including sending more pressure than normal) confused Burrow more so than normal.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 02:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Do you like our interior’s chances against Aaron Donald if we make it that far?

Lol, no. Plus von Miller.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 03:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: I still like it better than what TEN was doing schematically. People don't understand that what happened saturday wasn't just because of who was rushing but what they were doing on the backend. Late rotations and simulated pressures (including sending more pressure than normal) confused Burrow more so than normal.

That’s fine and dandy, but the bengals OL still wasn’t winning their 1 on 1 matchups.

Plus do you not think KC will try the same?
Reply/Quote
WE NEED TO DRAFT o-line first 2 picks of the draft, and bring in some FA's...
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:37 PM)higgy100 Wrote: 1.They're doing the best they can as players. 3 undrafted OL starting ain't suppose to win you any regular season games let alone a playoff game. This is on the coaching staff.

2. Agree. Love the quick hitters to the WR's. Even a play that looks dead nets you 4-5 yards many times and if the DB misses (see the Titans DB against Chase) it can go for big yards. Need to roll JB out more and get him on the edge with defenders chasing him instead of a sitting target.

3.We have no idea if the route is even there for him to get rid of it faster. He has to wait until plays develop. At the expense of throwing a pick, I'll take the sack. Read so many posts from people (not you) that have no idea what Intentional Grounding is as they just said for JB to get rid of the ball. Can't do that between the hash marks. Problem on saturday was the Titans brought pressure from both their DE's and the interior of the OL. That is a terrible mix. I can live with constant pressure from one or the other as JB can then either step up more and/or get outside the pocket more to buy time or get rid of the ball to live another down.

Williams at LT was drafted in the 1s
Spain at LG was undrafted and is the highest graded OL
Hopkins at C was undrafted but the best OL we had last year and has been solid every year but this year
Adeniji at RG was drafted in the 6th
Prince at RT was drafted in the 6th

First, there are only 2 players on the OL that went undrafted. And I don't think the undrafted status has anything to do with our OL problems. Both players have been the best OL in the entire unit at different times.  Our draft picks have been the issue. We keep drafting players that don't see the field or play sub-par. It takes some time to get up to NFL strength and learn the technique... so let's hope next year we see some improvement.

And you most certainly can throw the ball away in-between the tackles (hash marks are not the boundary for the penalty). It just requires that there is a receiver in the area. Most QBs throw it high overhead... but on screen passes you see them throw directly down onto the ground. It is intentional and they are throwing it away, no penalty.

Also, the last time we played the Chiefs they walked away with 4 sacks: Chris Jones 2, Jarren Reed and Frank Clark had 1. They also had 10 QB hits: Chris Jones 3, Jarren Reed/ Melvin Ingram 2, Frank Clark/Mike Danna/ Alex Okafor had 1.

Chris Jones is a DT. Just like we saw with the Titans, the IOL struggles with pressure up the middle. Titan's DT Jeffery Simmons lead his team with 3 hits and 3 sacks. It seems that DT pressure is even more of a problem than the rush from DEs. After watching the Titans embarrass our OL, I expect the Chiefs to do more DL twists to try to get pressure. It really seemed to work.

We got a week of practice... Pollack needs to really coach up our IOL and get these guys on the same page.

I hope we do not face the Rams and Aaron Donald in the Superbowl. It would be a nightmare.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 02:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Do you like our interior’s chances against Aaron Donald if we make it that far?

Not the best scenario's, but it's all we got atm. and yes i do have faith. It's definitely US.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 03:13 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: That’s fine and dandy, but the bengals OL still wasn’t winning their 1 on 1 matchups.

Plus do you not think KC will try the same?

Late rotation and exotic zone coverages are tough for young QB's. Even when you lose a one on one the QB can get it out if he knows what's happening, it was apparent Joe didn't a lot of that game. 

No, they are not equipped to completely overhaul their whole scheme in one week. TEN had been doing variants of that all year, KC is a heavy man blitzing team and that is what they will do, maybe minus some of the blitzing this week with Chase. 

I am not saying the Bengals aren't going to give up 4 or 5 sacks this week, my point is the overall function of what is happening across the defense will be a lot different then what we just watched and can be more easily handled and adjusted to.
Reply/Quote
The big issue against Tennessee was the defense confusing Burrow a little - making him hold the ball coupled with the scheme not providing an outlet receiver and Adeniji got totally owned - depending on source he surrendered either 3 or 5 sacks. I have to think that against KC we will see some schematic wrinkles like maybe Boyd in the flats.
Reply/Quote
When the line allows 4 sacks or less, the Bengals are 10-2 this year. 
When Burrow has a qb rating of 92 or more, they are 12-2.
When both things happen, they are 11-0.
Reply/Quote
Heck with exotic schemes and ideas.. Just slip a mickey in their gatorade and watch them all pass out between downs.. Screw playing fair!  We have Joe, Joe, Jamarr, TB, Higgins and CJ!   Who Dey
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 04:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: When the line allows 4 sacks or less, the Bengals are 10-2 this year. 
When Burrow has a qb rating of 92 or more, they are 12-2.
When both things happen, they are 11-0.

That's gonna be scary if we can get that line fixed this next off-season.

For now, it is what it is, so we just have to put our faith in Joe, and let Joe and his "it" factor do their thing.
Reply/Quote
KC did not do stunts like Titans did that causes problems for this OL. IF KC zero blitz, Burrow will destroy them. I do not have stats at the moment, But I believe Burrow is in top 3-4 in NFL for blitz completions, Blitz scores.

KC will double Chase this time I think. This means Higgins has to be the Man. Higgins and Boyd. Jones is tough to run against but Mixon has to get going.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 05:07 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: ...Jones is tough to run against but Mixon has to get going...

Again this goes back to the O-line.  They need to open up some holes for Mixon to run through.  Mixon cant keep getting hit 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 02:39 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: After the performance on Saturday you shouldn't feel fine about our line blocking anyone. I would feel fine if we had an entire new right side. You can find guys off the street that pass protect better than those two.

The left side wasnt much better.  Jonah gave up 2 sacks and Spain another.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:51 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: My take aways to beating the Chiefs and winning the Super Bowl.

1.  The offensive line needs to get on a man and do the best they can.  Give burrow .25-.5 second longer on average per play.
2.  The bengals coaching staff needs a better game plan.  Quick, short and efficient passes.  10-15 yard routes may not be the key to winning this game, and I don’t think it needs to be.  Play like the 2003-2004 patriots, make the passing game an extension of the running game.  These wide receivers are beyond capable of YAC.  Joe burrow doesn’t need to average 10 ypc an attempt. If he goes 35-45 for 300 yards and 3 tds (like Brady did back in those days) the bengals will be in it at the end.
3.  Joe burrow needs to get rid of the ball faster.

I truly believe if you do those things, instead of 2nd and 15 every play, we can be ahead of the chains and be 2nd and 5 +/-.

Need to help the right side of the OL or start Carman and Fred Johnson over Adeniji and Prince.

Chris Jones and Frank Clark can be problems for us but I don't think they are on par with what the Titans do.

Simmons and those boys are legit. If we beat the Chiefs this game was a good prep game for the Rams if that is who we play
in the Supe. Simmons is a beast. Burrow has the Chiefs Defense figured out, he had his best game of his career against them.

On Defense we need to stop CEH and that run game and keep Mahomes in the pocket where we can get him down with big 
time pressure from the edges with discipline, do not over pursue. What is nice is this is what we are good at on Defense. The 
Bills played undisciplined and didn't tackle well and let Kelce and Hill beat them.
Reply/Quote
The AFC crown is there for the taking. As Michael Irvin stated: "It's Joe and his dawgs - and his dawgs are bitin'!!!"
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 09:13 PM)Interceptor Wrote: The AFC crown is there for the taking. As Michael Irvin stated: "It's Joe and his dawgs - and his dawgs are bitin'!!!"

Love it lol  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Bengals have trouble with teams whose DL's are good enough to get pressure while only rushing 4 and dropping everybody else into coverage.

Hopefully KC will have to use blitzes again to do so unlike the Titans.

Which is when JB and Ja’Marr excel like last game when Chase dropped a couple TD's and 266 yds receiving on dem Chiefs.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 02:39 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: After the performance on Saturday you shouldn't feel fine about our line blocking anyone. I would feel fine if we had an entire new right side. You can find guys off the street that pass protect better than those two.

They could at least fall down and make the guy jump over them. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Bandwagoner LSU fan here - what’s the deal with Reiff? He has an ankle, tried to come back for one game and has now had over a month off. I know he’s eligible to be activated.

This is a game for the Super Bowl and Prince (along with Adeniji) is getting Joe killed. This is now or never and RR needs to at least make an attempt to play.
Reply/Quote