Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will Mike Brown spend his extra 10 million
Maybe MB and Pacman will make it rain at the "Script Club".

They seem to be homies.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Here's the real question. The Bengals will be around $30m in cap space. After tagging Bell, the Steelers are currently around -$9m in cap space (that's negative, they're over the cap). Which team do you think will be more active in free agency? We all know it's the Steelers. They'll cut players and re-work deals to bring in players to help them win now. Hobson will be putting out an article any day on how the Bengals cap space is just an illusion and that they only have $10-15m in space to work with. Same shit, different offseason.

The Bengals could be given an extra $20m by the league as a "we're sorry you root for a team owner by the Brown family" exception and we'd still be less active than teams who have a fraction of our cap space.
Reply/Quote
Also, for all the talk of the Bengals spending over the cap, that's a technicality. I'm not using the real numbers, but I know some will ignore that and argue with me, but here's how it works.

Year 1: NFL salary cap $150m, Bengals salary cap $150m, Bengals spend $140m
Year 2: NFL salary cap $155m, Bengals salary cap $160m, Bengals spend $150m
Year 3: NFL salary cap $160m, Bengals salary cap $170m, Bengals spend $162m
Year 4: NFL salary cap $165m, Bengals salary cap $173m, Bengals spend $170m

In that example, the Bengals did spend over the NFL salary cap twice. However, their adjusted cap was already higher than the NFL's from rolling over money and not spending up to the cap. So yes, technically the Bengals can and have spent over the NFL's salary cap but it's because they didn't spend all of their cap space in previous years. Twisting it to try and make it seem as if the team is just throwing money around and going all out isn't the truth.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 02:54 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Also, for all the talk of the Bengals spending over the cap, that's a technicality. I'm not using the real numbers, but I know some will ignore that and argue with me, but here's how it works.

Year 1: NFL salary cap $150m, Bengals salary cap $150m, Bengals spend $140m
Year 2: NFL salary cap $155m, Bengals salary cap $160m, Bengals spend $150m
Year 3: NFL salary cap $160m, Bengals salary cap $170m, Bengals spend $162m
Year 4: NFL salary cap $165m, Bengals salary cap $173m, Bengals spend $170m

In that example, the Bengals did spend over the NFL salary cap twice. However, their adjusted cap was already higher than the NFL's from rolling over money and not spending up to the cap. So yes, technically the Bengals can and have spent over the NFL's salary cap but it's because they didn't spend all of their cap space in previous years. Twisting it to try and make it seem as if the team is just throwing money around and going all out isn't the truth.

And could still use it wiser by just trimming the fat. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
he will use .0001 percent of it to pay, Xeno Morph, Sled21 n Fred to keep defending the Bengals every move on this message board. their contract expires next year so don't expect any big free agent signings
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 05:12 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: he will use .0001 percent of it to pay, Xeno Morph, Sled21 n Fred to keep defending the Bengals every move on this message board. their contract expires next year so don't expect any big free agent signings

Nice. If you actually READ my posts, I am plenty critical of things this organization does. I just try to be fair about it and don't buy into a lot of the hype that goes on around here, good or bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 11:37 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Truth and this is a major factor in not getting over the hump. 

Let the good ones walk and keep the eggs. 

And I fear that more will go the route of Reggie and Whit, where they feel like they are joining teams with a shot instead of same ole, same ole.  

Whit leaving makes me wonder if they will be able to sign Dunlap and Geno even if the money is there.  
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 02:54 AM)muskiesfan Wrote:  Twisting it to try and make it seem as if the team is just throwing money around and going all out isn't the truth.

It is closer to the truth than claiming that Mike never spends up to the cap and just puts all the extra in his pocket.

If you look at any of them numbers right now there are lots of teams that have much more cap space than the bengals and lots of teams that do not spend as much as the Bengals.  

You are free to complain about how he spends his money for player salary, but you can not whine about him being extremely cheap when it comes to paying players.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And I fear that more will go the route of Reggie and Whit, where they feel like they are joining teams with a shot instead of same ole, same ole.  

Whit leaving makes me wonder if they will be able to sign Dunlap and Geno even if the money is there.  

Whit left because we just offered him a one year deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 05:12 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: he will use .0001 percent of it to pay, Xeno Morph, Sled21 n Fred to keep defending the Bengals every move on this message board. their contract expires next year so don't expect any big free agent signings

Perfect example of how much haters use logic and/or facts in their posts.

I am the guy who always says Marvin is handicapped by working for the worst owner in the league. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 10:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is closer to the truth than claiming that Mike never spends up to the cap and just puts all the extra in his pocket.

If you look at any of them numbers right now there are lots of teams that have much more cap space than the bengals and lots of teams that do not spend as much as the Bengals.  

You are free to complain about how he spends his money for player salary, but you can not whine about him being extremely cheap when it comes to paying players.

No one said MB threw money around, only that he did spend more money that most teams on player salaries. But some insist he is cheap and does not spend, that is in fact not truthful. As Fred pointed out, he spends, but his loyalty fulfilling contract to under performers (versus cutting them) prohibits him from spending wisely.

Sorry if facts don't fit narrative of some that MB is cheap, Fred is correct MB pays his players well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 02:41 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Here's the real question. The Bengals will be around $30m in cap space. After tagging Bell, the Steelers are currently around -$9m in cap space (that's negative, they're over the cap). Which team do you think will be more active in free agency? We all know it's the Steelers. They'll cut players and re-work deals to bring in players to help them win now. Hobson will be putting out an article any day on how the Bengals cap space is just an illusion and that they only have $10-15m in space to work with. Same shit, different offseason.

The Bengals could be given an extra $20m by the league as a "we're sorry you root for a team owner by the Brown family" exception and we'd still be less active than teams who have a fraction of our cap space.

You nailed this.

:andy:
Reply/Quote

Not all of us can be blind clueless haters....  we leave that to you.

There is this lump about 3 feet above your ass... If you'd use it some time life wont be so bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 10:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is closer to the truth than claiming that Mike never spends up to the cap and just puts all the extra in his pocket.

I'm free to complain about anything I want. That's what's so great about the internet.

For Mike Brown to be able to spend over the cap, that he means he had to have years he didn't spend up to the cap. At the end of the day, we're always rolling over cap space so that gives people the perception that the team isn't spending all they can. If they spend over the League's cap, but still save $10m to rollover from their adjusted cap, that's why people are calling them cheap.
Reply/Quote
He will buy Marvin a Happy Meal for "being such a good boy" this past year.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 02:09 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: He'll roll it over to next year - as usual.

And the winner is ..........  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 02:10 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Would be happy with a Weston Richburg signing in FA personally.  
Or Ryan Jensen or Zach Fulton or Nate Solder or Chris Hubbard or Byron Bell or Cameron Fleming or make a move and give the Bills a couple late round picks for Cordy Glenn...

There are lots of good O-lineman that we could get.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 12:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not when they get paid way over what they think is market value for them

It kills me Bengals fans still get brainwashed with this thinking

Bro search my created posts and look at the one where i discussed how good we really are at retaining our own players. Weve let SUPER BOWL calibur talent WALK for nothing only to NEVER replace them via draft or free agency.

I can’t even believe A Bengals fan would be talking about money in 2018
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 06:13 PM)Housh Wrote: It kills me Bengals fans still get brainwashed with this thinking

Bro search my created posts and look at the one where i discussed how good we really are at retaining our own players. Weve let SUPER BOWL calibur talent WALK for nothing only to NEVER replace them via draft or free agency.

Not sure what this even means.  We have replaced every player that left.

But let me ask you this.  You know all those good free agents out there that you wish the Bengals would sign?  Where did they come from?

Every team loses players in free agency.  Bengals are just as good at retaining their own as most every other team.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 02:41 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Here's the real question. The Bengals will be around $30m in cap space. After tagging Bell, the Steelers are currently around -$9m in cap space (that's negative, they're over the cap). Which team do you think will be more active in free agency? We all know it's the Steelers. They'll cut players and re-work deals to bring in players to help them win now. Hobson will be putting out an article any day on how the Bengals cap space is just an illusion and that they only have $10-15m in space to work with. Same shit, different offseason.

Well it appears the Bengals have signed 2 players, not going to pick up Jones option. To date Steeler's have pushed the can down the road paying AB in bonus money so that money goes to future cap hits to be able to sign Bell a franchise tag. So keeping score Steeler's have done nothing in free agency obtaining players from other teams so far.

Steelers were the wrong team to choose, they build through the draft primarily also, so I take your challenge and say Bengals are more active.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote