Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would the Draft have been different had Marvin still been here instead of Zac ?
How do you think the Draft would have been different had Marvin been retained and still here to help shape the 2019 Draft.

No Zac Taylor but instead they had rode with Marvin again into 2019.

Likely not the same Offensive Focus in the Draft.

The Drew Sample and Ryan Finley picks would very likely not have occurred.

Maybe Marvin would have influenced a greater focus on Defense versus Zac's Offensive focus.

What say you ?

Would Jonah Williams still have been the 1st round pick ?

Would Marvin have pushed for Dwayne Haskins or a defensive 1st round pick like say a Rashan Gary.

I know it is purely speculation but (just for fun) what do you think may have happened differently had Marvin still been here for the 2019 Draft.
Reply/Quote
If Marvin were here, we likely would have went CB or DE in the 1st two rounds, and then maybe took a look at LB and OL in the 3rd.. Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If Marvin were here, we likely would have went CB or DE in the 1st two rounds, and then maybe took a look at LB and OL in the 3rd..  Ninja

Which specific players do you think he would have targeted ?
Reply/Quote
I don't think anything would have changed to be honest because Duke runs the draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:07 PM)depthchart Wrote: Which specific players do you think he would have targeted ?

if the draft shock out the way it did for when we are on the clock at 11...  I think we still take an OT.. Marvin was here last year and definitely knew what the main issue was (past few years)

we might have traded back and tried to get dillard later.. As with marvin his coaching staff would have stayed
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:10 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I don't think anything would have changed to be honest because Duke runs the draft.

Actually none of us know how much influence the HC has, but I tend to agree with Jakeypoo.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually none of us know how much influence the HC has, but I tend to agree with Jakeypoo.

Yep.

So Taylor was hired early Feb. He apparently:

-Got hired.
-Evaluated the roster.
-Evaluated coaches.
-Hired coaches.
-Scouted college players.
-Scouted free agents.
-Decided which free agents to sign.
-Created a vision for the team complete with offense/defense.
-Ran the draft.

Yeah...I doubt that all was done by Taylor in 3 months.
Reply/Quote
A lot stays the same but maybe something different happens with round 2. I'm not even saying there is anything wrong with the pick but Samples seems like a player where Taylor's input won out. Who do we take instead? It is tough to say.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:10 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I don't think anything would have changed to be honest because Duke runs the draft.

(05-03-2019, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually none of us know how much influence the HC has, but I tend to agree with Jakeypoo.

(05-03-2019, 12:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...I doubt that all was done by Taylor in 3 months.

I doubt they take Drew Sample in round 2 if Zac was not here since Zac wants a solid blocking Tight End for his system.

I also think that Ryan Finley was hand picked by Zac.
Reply/Quote
The Marvin Lewis draft room would have looked a lot like this...my representative pictorial story:

[Image: lewis.jpeg]

[Image: FoolhardyPortlyEkaltadeta-small.gif]

[Image: 5a55ca8243d73.image.jpg?resize=400%2C267]

[Image: 1065213704.jpg.0.jpg]

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:24 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: The Marvin Lewis draft room would have looked a lot like this...my representative pictorial story:

Where is the picture of Hue Jackson ?

Good chance Hue would still be around & maybe find his way into the Draft room or be outside the Draft room somewhere with a yellow Walkie Talkie to communicate to Marvin with. Tongue
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:23 PM)depthchart Wrote:  I doubt they take Drew Sample in round 2 if Zac was not here since Zac wants a solid blocking Tight End for his system.

I also think instead of Sample, they Draft Zach Allen in round 2.  They may have even drafted Greedy Williams.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:23 PM)depthchart Wrote:  I doubt they take Drew Sample in round 2 if Zac was not here since Zac wants a solid blocking Tight End for his system.

That's possible. Honestly, we don't know IF Sample is a good pick or not. That's been debated over and over.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's possible. Honestly, we don't know IF Sample is a good pick or not. That's been debated over and over.

Zimmer & the Vikings ended up with Tight End Irv Smith Jr in round 2.

Marvin may have also liked Irv & influenced taking him in round 2 instead of the trade down for Drew Sample happening.

Never know how things may have been different.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep.

So Taylor was hired early Feb. He apparently:

-Got hired.
-Evaluated the roster.
-Evaluated coaches.
-Hired coaches.
-Scouted college players.
-Scouted free agents.
-Decided which free agents to sign.
-Created a vision for the team complete with offense/defense.
-Ran the draft.

Yeah...I doubt that all was done by Taylor in 3 months.

Why not?  What exactly do you think he's been doing for eighteen hours a day?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:22 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: A lot stays the same but maybe something different happens with round 2. I'm not even saying there is anything wrong with the pick but Samples seems like a player where Taylor's input won out. Who do we take instead? It is tough to say.

(05-03-2019, 12:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I also think instead of Sample, they Draft Zach Allen in round 2.  They may have even drafted Greedy Williams.  

Yup I'd say most likely round 2 would have been defense, lineman perhaps ? And I'd say we would have drafted more D in the later rounds.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 01:36 PM)McC Wrote: Why not?  What exactly do you think he's been doing for eighteen hours a day?

Yep,

I think ZT had a heavy influence on this draft. 

Did he have complete control ? I doubt it. But I don't believe Tobin 100% calls the shots either.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if the draft shock out the way it did for when we are on the clock at 11...  I think we still take an OT.. Marvin was here last year and definitely knew what the main issue was (past few years)

we might have traded back and tried to get dillard later.. As with marvin his coaching staff would have stayed

This is what i think, we would of traded back and thought we were so smart to do so and getting the best pass blocker in the Draft who cannot run block. But i could be wrong and they could of made the right move and took Jonah just like Taylor and company did. I don't think we would take Sample in the 2nd, Pratt was too obvious, Marv would have taken him i hope for Marv's sake.

Oh well, just happy we can move on, Marv kicked my dog lol
Reply/Quote
Well, hopefully he wouldn't' have had his old pal and assistant head coach/ketchup bottle savant on the phone during the draft to help make the calls.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Simmons at 11  Ninja
Reply/Quote