Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hubbard update
(12-19-2022, 11:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Moving the Chains did their weekly interview with their sports medicine doctor today and he talked about it. It was not good news. He said calf strains are worse than hamstrings, and have more tendency to reoccur and be nagging. We may not see Hurst or Hubbard either one the rest of the year

They won’t be back at all? Including the playoffs?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 01:35 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We are not releasing our #3 OG so we can sign a #6 DE who is only gonna play for 2-3 weeks, max. And may not be better than our PS guys. That is just silly. What happens if something happens to Cappa or Volson? Yeesh. Carman would be playing. Yikes. 

Bachie & Johnston are core special teams players. We are not releasing both to sign a DE who cannot fill their roles on specials. This is not Madden.

We will elevate someone from the PS. Play more 3 man fronts. Play Hill and/or Carter wide some. We'll see more of Tupou & Tufele inside. Pats are run first anyway. And we will try to see where Hendrickson is before Buffalo. If the D really struggles, hope the O can pick them up. 
Your "What if" something happens to a starter has been trumped by Some 'has happened" to our 2 starting DEs. 

Kinda silly with you saying "we can replace our DEs with PS folks and others, but we couldn't replace an interior olineman if we cut a guy who hasn't seen a snap all year. 

But thanks for letting me know this is not Madden; I was confused for a second.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 01:43 AM)OUatown Wrote: They won’t be back at all? Including the playoffs?

Impossible to say at this point. Sources from the team are saying they believe 2-4 weeks though.

Reply/Quote
^ That’s gonna hurt us. Badly. Ouch.
Reply/Quote
That’s going to hurt against Allen and Jackson. He and Hendrickson do such a good job on mobile QBs and keeping them in the pocket. Hoping for a quick recovery
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 11:29 PM)Nepa Wrote: A post that I wish I didn't read. Sometimes ignorance is bliss for a sports fan.

When I heard calf injury, I was thinking "Ah, it's a bruise, two weeks max!" I can assure you when I heard the doctor say that I threw up a little in my mouth.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 01:43 AM)OUatown Wrote: They won’t be back at all? Including the playoffs?

Can't say, as the doctor is speaking of calf injuries in general. He said coming back too soon is more likely to re-aggravate it and there's only 3 weeks left in the season. I think maybe since Hurst's is several weeks older than Hubbard's, he may be back, but we're gonna miss Sam playing QB's like Lamar and Mahomes (who we will probably see in the playoffs) All we can do at this point is hope and pray they are not severe strains. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 01:20 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Man. It’s going to be tough sledding for a while

Yep, Hubbard sets the edge so well that will be the biggest thing to fill.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 09:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Can't say, as the doctor is speaking of calf injuries in general. He said coming back too soon is more likely to re-aggravate it and there's only 3 weeks left in the season. I think maybe since Hurst's is several weeks older than Hubbard's, he may be back, but we're gonna miss Sam playing QB's like Lamar and Mahomes (who we will probably see in the playoffs) All we can do at this point is hope and pray they are not severe strains. 

Yeah, we are going to need Burrow and the Offense to score a lot to make up for the loss of Sam. His discipline against running QB's 
might be the best in the entire league. So even if I like Sample and Gunter they are not going to be able to do what Hubbard does and
we will need Logan and Pratt behind them staying disciplined big time, same with our Safeties.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 01:45 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Your "What if" something happens to a starter has been trumped by Some 'has happened" to our 2 starting DEs. 

Kinda silly with you saying "we can replace our DEs with PS folks and others, but we couldn't replace an interior olineman if we cut a guy who hasn't seen a snap all year. 

Well, I thought your post was an huge overreaction and still do. You wanted to release our best reserve OL player for a guy (DE) off the street, or two core special teams guys. After our D just kicked Tampa's @$$ without Hubbard, Hendrickson, or Hilton. And without CTB as well for the last part.  Next man up looks pretty good to me. Ossai caused a pick and recovered a fumble. A week after sacking Mahones to end KC's last drive.  If we get to the point where it looks like Hendrickson or Hubbard may miss the PO game, then we might sign somebody (Everson Griffith, etc). But only if Ossai/Sample look so poor we have to do something. If they look good to decent, we roll with what we have.

I think the idea that guys who have not played much (at all) this year are gonna roll in off the street and get up to speed and contribute in a week or two is shaky in my view. We have won 6 in a row. We did not make a signing when Chase got hurt. We did not make a signing when Chido went out for the year. Why do you think we make one now, especially since we are virtually in the POs?  And the length of the injury is short.

If anyone were to get released to facilitate a signing, it would be the guys who are inactive most games: Evans, Smith, or Carman. Though Carman has significant dead money, so I doubt he would be. No way would it be guys who play regularly. 

Hubbard could be back for Baltimore (edit). I bet Hendrickson could play now if he had to. We are just being smart about it and trying to get him as whole as possible. Sample, Ossai, Gunter, and Hill/Carter will play the DE snaps. We'll play more 3 man fronts. Tupou & Tufele will play more due to Hill/Carter kicking outside some. Reader will play more snaps than usual. We may try a more possession based attack on O. We still have 8 healthy DL. Plus 3 more on the PS. Yes, it sucks both starters are out.  But we are not about to panic cut someone to sign a marginal player. That has not been our MO so far. 

Heck, if we get ONE of Trey/Sam back for the POs, I think we can win the first game. And I think we can beat NE without both. It is a short week. Roll with what we have. If it goes horribly, then reevaluate.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 09:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Can't say, as the doctor is speaking of calf injuries in general. He said coming back too soon is more likely to re-aggravate it and there's only 3 weeks left in the season. I think maybe since Hurst's is several weeks older than Hubbard's, he may be back, but we're gonna miss Sam playing QB's like Lamar and Mahomes (who we will probably see in the playoffs) All we can do at this point is hope and pray they are not severe strains. 

All I can say about these, "doctor," posts, is:

Remember when all of these doctors were diagnosing Joe's knee injury, his rookie year?

They know dick, just like the rest of us.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 04:44 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: All I can say about these, "doctor," posts, is:

Remember when all of these doctors were diagnosing Joe's knee injury, his rookie year?

They know dick, just like the rest of us.

That's not really the case Truck. He is speaking of calf injuries in general. Dr. Davis Chao is one of the better known sports medicine doctors in the country. My guess is it's a good baseline to go by on when to expect him back.

Quote:Dr. Chao, an internationally known sports medicine expert, has been practicing orthopedic surgery in San Diego, California for the past 17 years at OASIS. He is the former head team physician for the San Diego Chargers (1997-2013), where he specializes in orthopedic sports injuries. High profile professional athletes from the NFL, NBA, and MLB trust him, and so can you. When a sports related injury requires expert medical attention, Dr. Chao has the experience and expertise you need in a physician.
Reply/Quote
I must have missed something...but who said anything about a calf strain?

The most I've seen with the Hubbard injury is just "calf" with no detail.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 05:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's not really the case Truck. He is speaking of calf injuries in general. Dr. Davis Chao is one of the better known sports medicine doctors in the country. My guess is it's a good baseline to go by on when to expect him back.

'Even without injured reserve, the Bengals will be lucky to have Ja’Marr Chase back in December and any playoff run.' - Dr. David Chao 

Speaking in generalities is fine, but anything more is just opinion and speculation at this point.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 01:45 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Your "What if" something happens to a starter has been trumped by Some 'has happened" to our 2 starting DEs. 

We have the $$$ to sign Terrell Lewis OLB/DE 6'5 275-lbs who was just cut from the LA Rams to allow more snaps for other players.  He's in shape and could be plugged in immediately, and we wouldn't have to cut anyone to afford him.  
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 04:26 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, I thought your post was an huge overreaction and still do. You wanted to release our best reserve OL player for a guy (DE) off the street, or two core special teams guys. After our D just kicked Tampa's @$$ without Hubbard, Hendrickson, or Hilton. And without CTB as well for the last part.  Next man up looks pretty good to me. Ossai caused a pick and recovered a fumble. A week after sacking Mahones to end KC's last drive.  If we get to the point where it looks like Hendrickson or Hubbard may miss the PO game, then we might sign somebody (Everson Griffith, etc). But only if Ossai/Sample look so poor we have to do something. If they look good to decent, we roll with what we have.

I think the idea that guys who have not played much (at all) this year are gonna roll in off the street and get up to speed and contribute in a week or two is shaky in my view. We have won 6 in a row. We did not make a signing when Chase got hurt. We did not make a signing when Chido went out for the year. Why do you think we make one now, especially since we are virtually in the POs?  And the length of the injury is short.

If anyone were to get released to facilitate a signing, it would be the guys who are inactive most games: Evans, Smith, or Carman. Though Carman has significant dead money, so I doubt he would be. No way would it be guys who play regularly. 

Hubbard could be back for Baltimore (edit). I bet Hendrickson could play now if he had to. We are just being smart about it and trying to get him as whole as possible. Sample, Ossai, Gunter, and Hill/Carter will play the DE snaps. We'll play more 3 man fronts. Tupou & Tufele will play more due to Hill/Carter kicking outside some. Reader will play more snaps than usual. We may try a more possession based attack on O. We still have 8 healthy DL. Plus 3 more on the PS. Yes, it sucks both starters are out.  But we are not about to panic cut someone to sign a marginal player. That has not been our MO so far. 

Heck, if we get ONE of Trey/Sam back for the POs, I think we can win the first game. And I think we can beat NE without both. It is a short week. Roll with what we have.  If it goes horribly, then reevaluate.

How much has Scharping played this year? Balt just claimed Sammy Watkins off waivers is that a huge overreaction? 

As to who is released? If you're doing it to make Cap Space, you release folks that can gain you Cap space. Evans, Smith, or Carman do not do that. The players I listed do.

As I pointed out in the thread you classified it as Madden and now it is a huge overreaction; we have the space and if we didn't we could easily make it. 

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 05:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's not really the case Truck. He is speaking of calf injuries in general. Dr. Davis Chao is one of the better known sports medicine doctors in the country. My guess is it's a good baseline to go by on when to expect him back.

(12-20-2022, 05:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: 'Even without injured reserve, the Bengals will be lucky to have Ja’Marr Chase back in December and any playoff run.' - Dr. David Chao 

Speaking in generalities is fine, but anything more is just opinion and speculation at this point.

'holic said it for me: Chao is one of the least credible sports-related docs on the planet, case in point:

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2013/4/22/4251626/san-diego-chargers-doctor-david-chao-has-chaotic-past
https://helbocklaw.com/san-diego-chargers-doctor-history-medical-malpractice/ (more of the same)
https://deadspin.com/the-chargers-doctor-is-a-drunk-quack-why-havent-they-466685771 (a bit more tongue in cheek)

Everyone is different and everyone heals differently, etc. He doesn't even know the exact injury, so it is indeed, purely speculative.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 05:41 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: We have the $$$ to sign Terrell Lewis OLB/DE 6'5 275-lbs who was just cut from the LA Rams to allow more snaps for other players.  He's in shape and could be plugged in immediately, and we wouldn't have to cut anyone to afford him.  
We'll we'd have to cut someone to make room, but the point was: If we needed cap. we could easily find it. I realize we currently have the cap space; I was the one that posted the Over The Cap to show we currently have over $2 MIL.

As to Lewis, I'd love it.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 07:22 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 'holic said it for me: Chao is one of the least credible sports-related docs on the planet, case in point:

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2013/4/22/4251626/san-diego-chargers-doctor-david-chao-has-chaotic-past
https://helbocklaw.com/san-diego-chargers-doctor-history-medical-malpractice/ (more of the same)
https://deadspin.com/the-chargers-doctor-is-a-drunk-quack-why-havent-they-466685771 (a bit more tongue in cheek)

Everyone is different and everyone heals differently, etc. He doesn't even know the exact injury, so it is indeed, purely speculative.

Well, Bengaholic and Truck restored my optimism after the downer from Dr. Chao. Yeah, I know he was only speaking in generalities, but he was the first one to create the image of both Hurst and Hubbard not being back this season. 
Reply/Quote