Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huckabee: I Trust Bernie Sanders 'Like I Trust a North Korean Chef' With My Dog
(10-19-2015, 03:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Come on man . This is old humor. Nothing wrong with this at all. No one fears Asians will cook up their pets or that Asian drivers are the worst .

I guess your offended by Blazing Saddles as well?

This isn't something to get crazy over.

Comedy from a comedian =/= a joke from a POTUS candidate

And, I won't even go into how the intention of most, if not all, of the racial humor in that movie was to make fun of bigotry, not to perpetuate a stereotype. A very distinct difference between the work in that movie and the joke from Huckabee or most racist jokes, for that matter.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-19-2015, 04:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: My comment has nothing to with who said it...  It's about what was said.  It's not a big deal .

Who said it is what makes it an issue.

If it's some guy on the street running his mouth, that's one thing. But there are people who follow guys like Huckabee because of the assumption that if he's on TV, he must be legit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-19-2015, 04:09 PM)Benton Wrote: Crazy, no. But he should get a heaping helping of flack.

He's a commentator (some people confuse that with journalist) and a presidential candidate, both of which are nonfiction, not starring with Gene Wilder, which is fiction. I think that's part of the problem now — too many people don't know the difference. They think everything is just scripted.

I already said it wasn't appropriate for a pres candidate. But there is nothing wrong with the actual joke.
(10-19-2015, 04:11 PM)Benton Wrote: Who said it is what makes it an issue.

If it's some guy on the street running his mouth, that's one thing. But there are people who follow guys like Huckabee because of the assumption that if he's on TV, he must be legit.

It's mike Huckabee . No one takes him serious. Nor should we treat what he says with any amount of seriousness. It was funny., that's all. Mainly because few are willing to say those jokes any longer. I like when the PC police get upset.
(10-19-2015, 04:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's mike Huckabee . No one takes him serious. Nor should we treat what he says with any amount of seriousness. It was funny., that's all. Mainly because few are willing to say those jokes any longer. I like when the PC police get upset.

Yes, because being respectful of all people and not denigrating them or their culture is something we should dismiss out of hand because it means that the easy, ignorant jokes are now not considered appropriate in polite company and we are unable to mask bigotry behind humor.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-19-2015, 04:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's mike Huckabee . No one takes him serious.   Nor should we treat what he says with any amount of seriousness.    It was funny., that's all.   Mainly because few are willing to say those jokes any longer.   I like when the PC police get upset.

All of the bolded is true.

However, and you are ignoring the point, he is running for President of the United States of America.  Perhaps he should refrain from trying to be a stand up comedian and work on being a stand up guy.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-19-2015, 04:23 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yes, because being respectful of all people and not denigrating them or their culture is something we should dismiss out of hand because it means that the easy, ignorant jokes are now not considered appropriate in polite company and we are unable to mask bigotry behind humor.

You are putting way too much thought into this... I laughed .... Does this mean I fear or think that Asians will serve me puppy stew? Or does it just mean that I laughed.

You would have a case if people actually believed this stuff.
(10-19-2015, 04:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: All of the bolded is true.

However, and you are ignoring the point, he is running for President of the United States of America.  Perhaps he should refrain from trying to be a stand up comedian and work on being a stand up guy.

Not ignoring it at all. I am merely discussing the joke. Not who said the joke. Matt brought up that it was bigoted. I disagreed because it may have had that tone in the past but not today.

If I was running for president I would lay off those jokes. But i am not, so I laughed. Nor would I vote for Huckabee, he is a progressive.
(10-19-2015, 05:17 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You are putting way too much thought into this... I laughed .... Does this mean I fear or think that Asians will serve me puppy stew? Or does it just mean that I laughed.

You would have a case if people actually believed this stuff.

The joke is racist. Flat out. Whether that makes you a racist for laughing at it or Huckabee a racist for saying it is subjective, but the joke is a racist joke. That's all I've been saying. No matter what you say in an attempt to justify it, that will not be changed. But whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

(10-19-2015, 05:31 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The joke is racist. Flat out. Whether that makes you a racist for laughing at it or Huckabee a racist for saying it is subjective, but the joke is a racist joke. That's all I've been saying. No matter what you say in an attempt to justify it, that will not be changed. But whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

It was a racist joke. People used to get upset about it.... They don't anymore. Because everyone realizes it is what it is.... A joke. Which does not hurt anyone. Is it racist when someone makes a white person joke? No, because it's funny to make fun of each other.
(10-19-2015, 05:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It was a racist joke. People used to get upset about it.... They don't anymore. Because everyone realizes it is what it is.... A joke. Which does not hurt anyone. Is it racist when someone makes a white person joke? No, because it's funny to make fun of each other.

It's still a racist joke. Any joke like that about any race is a racist joke. And yes, people do still get offended by them. Racist jokes are harmful to society, whether you choose to see it or not. But, again, whatever justification you want to use to make yourself feel better about yourself.

(10-19-2015, 05:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's still a racist joke. Any joke like that about any race is a racist joke. And yes, people do still get offended by them. Racist jokes are harmful to society, whether you choose to see it or not. But, again, whatever justification you want to use to make yourself feel better about yourself.

None of this matters enough to me to justify anything.   I already got my laugh.  If it bothers you then so be it.    I just choose to not worry about small things, life is too short.   Obviously this is a bigger thing to you so I will respect your outrage.
(10-19-2015, 06:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: None of this matters enough to me to justify anything.   I already got my laugh.  If it bothers you then so be it.    I just choose to not worry about small things, life is too short.   Obviously this is a bigger thing to you so I will respect your outrage.

I actually have zero outrage over this. Mostly, I am just sad that there is still a sizeable portion of our society that thinks racism is harmless.

(10-19-2015, 04:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's mike Huckabee . No one takes him serious.   Nor should we treat what he says with any amount of seriousness.    It was funny., that's all.   Mainly because few are willing to say those jokes any longer.   I like when the PC police get upset.

I like it when some right-wing blowhard mouthpiece says something unfunny and semi-offensive and conservatives rush to act like conservative pundits are all a bunch of goofy clown-faced satirists who spend their time making all sorts of jokes.

Maybe Fox News should have a laugh track in the background?

But seriously folks I'm Mike Huckabee and here is my monologue.  Homina homina homina!
(10-19-2015, 07:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I actually have zero outrage over this. Mostly, I am just sad that there is still a sizeable portion of our society that thinks racism is harmless.

It usually seems like the same group of people who feel like straight white males are being persecuted, interestingly enough.
(10-19-2015, 07:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I actually have zero outrage over this. Mostly, I am just sad that there is still a sizeable portion of our society that thinks racism is harmless.

Well I'm glad you are not upset. It's only harmful if anyone takes any of it serious.
There are comedians who can get away with somewhat racist jokes, but there are rules involved in order to make it funny>offensive. That's where the right-wingers go wrong. They don't get that just sitting there and saying Asians can't drive and blacks are lazy without any sense of irony, self-deprecation, parody etc. isn't funny, just offensive.

This is mostly because cons tend to be such black and white thinkers. Comedy really requires nuance.

Plus, let's not forget: we're not talking about a comedian here. This guy wants to be President while insulting a significant percentage of the population. It just doesn't cut it.
(10-19-2015, 07:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Mostly, I am just sad that there is still a sizeable portion of our society that thinks racism is harmless.

And I'm sad that people still think their race is the reason why they're failing at life.
(10-19-2015, 05:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's still a racist joke. Any joke like that about any race is a racist joke. And yes, people do still get offended by them. Racist jokes are harmful to society, whether you choose to see it or not. But, again, whatever justification you want to use to make yourself feel better about yourself.

In Lucie's world racism is harmless fun.  But, if everyone doesn't close their eyes and at least pretend to pray when Christians do that's disrespectful.  Hilarious

I have noticed a trend that the majority of people complaining about political correctness are disgruntled, bitter white guys whose life didn't turn out as planned and pine for the good ol' days of the Fifties.  The 1850s. 

The remainder seem to be people like Limbaugh, Beck, O'Reilly, et al who pander to these disgruntled, bitter white guys to support their lifestyle.