Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hue Jackson called a run play on the last offensive snap
(11-25-2015, 04:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The more I think about it, that just might be the reason they went for the win.

They knew that their defensive backfield was decimated with injuries and they would not be able to stop the Cardinals in overtime.

Why would they be not going for the win by going for first down and having at least another 3 opportunities for the TD?  They pretty much moved the ball at will on the Cards the entire 4th quarter.  The Bengals definitely had the momentum, until the clock snafu.  After that, I thought for sure Palmer was going to run right up the field and they'd kick the FG.  That's exactly what happened too.  

Don't get me wrong, I liked the play call, it was just at wrong time, because if it fails (and nothing is guaranteed), there's just too much time left on the clock, IMO.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 04:53 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: He should have thrown a short pass to AJ or handed it off. I don't blame him for taking a shot if it was there but i disagree with his decision. You still have to trust your quarterback and receiver to make that decision and execute so it's not a big deal.

It's situational football.  Dalton is generally very good at calling audibles but this was not the time to do it based on the situation.  A throw to the pylon, regardless of who is covering AJ, is not the right thing to do on 3rd and 2 from the 25 with a little over a minute remaining - and the other team doesn't have any timeouts.  You call the run play and hope to get the 1st down, worst case you run another 35 seconds off the clock and kick the FG.

I'm all for being aggressive but the situation dictates everything.  It's called situational awareness and is extremely important from a QB perspective.  AD has a lot on his plate but that was such an important call.  Hopefully he'll learn and be better for it next time. But a throw to the pylon in that situation is just too low of a percentage to work.  Too much has to go right, beat coverage, great pass, stay in bounds, etc.

Take a shot like that before halftime but not at the end of the game.  He'll learn.  I hope!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2015, 09:41 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Why would they be not going for the win by going for first down and having at least another 3 opportunities for the TD?  They pretty much moved the ball at will on the Cards the entire 4th quarter.  The Bengals definitely had the momentum, until the clock snafu.  After that, I thought for sure Palmer was going to run right up the field and they'd kick the FG.  That's exactly what happened too.  

Don't get me wrong, I liked the play call, it was just at wrong time, because if it fails (and nothing is guaranteed), there's just too much time left on the clock, IMO.

Because it didn't seem like the defense was expecting a deep pass to Green. Which they weren't. It was one on one against a backup CB and Green beat him. The touchdown was there, it was just a bad throw. Plus, why be predictable on offense? The defense didn't expect that play and it almost worked.

Besides, they get a first down there's no guarantee they get a touchdown nor win it in overtime. We couldn't stop them with 1:06 left. That's the biggest issue, not the last offensive playcall.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2015, 09:41 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Why would they be not going for the win by going for first down and having at least another 3 opportunities for the TD? 

Because the defense was probably set for the run, and we might not get the favorable match-up against against green again.

Third and 2 is not even close to automatic, and settling for a fg is going for a tie instead of going for a win.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2015, 08:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because the defense was probably set for the run, and we might not get the favorable match-up against against green again.

Third and 2 is not even close to automatic, and settling for a fg is going for a tie instead of going for a win.

Pretty much.  In a parallel dimension we got the TD and everyone who is crying that we didn't run the ball is bragging about what solid steel balls Dalton has for calling for a pass play when Hue called a run, and how his football IQ is through the roof for seeing and exploiting that match-up.  Dare I say people are even calling him a super awesome leader for doing it, too?
Reply/Quote
Brady would have taken that shot and been hailed as a true leader for attempting it.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2015, 11:58 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Brady would have taken that shot and been hailed as a true leader for attempting it.

This X 1000000000

"Belichick alwasy plays to win instead of playing not-to-lose!!!!!"
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2015, 11:58 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Brady would have taken that shot and been hailed as a true leader for attempting it.

Hailed as a leader in Attempting it by succeeding or failing or does it matter?  I think Brady has a better chance of completing that pass though.

I'm still running the ball in that situation if it was me though.  I'd rather play the percentages.   Oh well, it's over and a loss is a loss no matter how you slice it. 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote

Your forgetting the most important part, if Brady threw it, the pass most likely would've resulted in a TD.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2015, 12:13 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Hailed as a leader in Attempting it by succeeding or failing or does it matter?  I think Brady has a better chance of completing that pass though.

I'm still running the ball in that situation if it was me though.  I'd rather play the percentages.   Oh well, it's over and a loss is a loss no matter how you slice it. 

Doesn't matter.  The talk would have been about the fact that he played to win.

By ther way, Andy did complete the pass, just not in bounds...
Reply/Quote