Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hue Jackson fed up with Bungles image.....
(06-18-2015, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No one here is satisfied to just make the playoffs and lose.

That is just a strawman the haters like to set up so they can knock it down.

I like that, Fred.  Tough to put words to, sometimes.

Not unlike calling out Bengals players (by name) and throwing them under the bus.

Geez!!
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 01:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The bigger question is MJ an upgrade over Geathers?

He took his roster spot so I see a huge upgrade over Geathers which should help our defense get better in 2015

Agree completely.   I know Thornton is Johnson's agent, but he is still a pretty knowledgeable guy.   He said the problems the Bengals line had in 2014 were: 1) Geno was not himself    2) The rotation was diminished by that and our aging D-linemen (he specifically referenced Geathers I believe) and  3) The lack of defensive ends who could reliably and effectively set the edge - which he said is one of the primary strengths that MJ brings to the table.

I think he was a logical and very solid move in free agency.  I think that combined with the addition of Sims to the rotation will make a considerable impact on our ability to stop the run and rush the passer.

My only regret was not adding a top notch run stopping, pocket collapsing player to the mix.  I'm hoping that Sims and/ or  Thompson step to the plate.   But I would have been happier if we had picked up someone like Knighton or drafted Goldman.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 02:32 PM)FanStuckInIndy Wrote: Don't sleep on Marvin! He may not be showing you what you think you need to see - but you don't need to see it.  Marvin is plenty fiery, and none of his players question that.  Perception is King, until the fat lady sings!

Agreed.   He is "composed" (to a fault?) on the sidelines, but the excerpts I've seen from behind closed doors shows a very fiery and challenging guy.

The team appears to lack fire.  Not sure what that is exactly, but Housh agrees - and I think it's a player thing.   The more fiery teams Housh played for were coached by the same guy.
Reply/Quote
The only way to change the image, is to change the image.

The image used to be that this organization was the NFL's version of the Bad News Bears. That image was well deserved because of 12 years of front office buffoonery and atrocious on field play, for most of those years.

However, Marvin came along...and in his first 8 years, he slowly changed that image to a more positive one. It became one of a team that could compete, could draft pretty well and was run much better. But the overall stigma of the Bengals past still lingered because they still hadn't really "accomplished" anything.

Over the last 4 years, the Bengals have made the playoffs each year, setting a team record for consecutive appearances. But, at the same time, they also set an NFL record for most consecutive one and done's. So, while they have definitely improved on the overall image (consistently successful in the regular season, and being perennial contenders), they have done nothing to change the image that they are choke artists, that still aren't ready for prime time.

That what's at stake this year. Another winning season will be nice. Another playoff berth will be terrific. But, another one and done will do nothing for "the image", except to cement their place as the league's most consistent underachievers.

How do they change the image in 2015? Go out and win a damn playoff game or two. That would be a pretty good start in reshaping the perception, which they have created for themselves.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 02:25 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: And Fred,  you still have not answered my questions.  Can you read?  Or are you just hiding from your own words?

Your questions were either rhetorical or ridiculous.  Everyone here knows I don't work for the Bucs.  However I directly addressed the issue of Johnson not being washed up by pointing out that other teams were eager to give him a lot of money. But I guess that went over your head.

if you want to argue that he was cut just because he is not good enough to make their roster than please list the 4 DEs they have who are better then MJ.

Johnson was not released bu the Bucs because he was not good enough to make their roster. He was cut because of his huge contract.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 02:25 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Where did I say that the number of moves is what wins Super Bowls?  Where did I say there was a magic number? 

Just because you make transactions and shift personnel around doesn't mean you are doing all you can to win the Super Bowl in my opinion.  You may only have to make one real "move" to really propel your team to the top.  Take the Broncos for instance.

And Fred,  you still have not answered my questions.  Can you read?  Or are you just hiding from your own words?

P. S.: And yes of course the moves (how every many or few) need to be correct for you to have success.  Even a dumb ass like myself knows that.

Actually what you said was that the Bengals had made NO MOVES at all.

I am through playing this game.  I can tell my your member name that you are nothing more than a troll, but you are not even very good at that.  Good trolls at least try to make realistic comments to stir the pot.  Yours are just silly.
Reply/Quote
The fans are looking at Hue in the rear-view mirror. But it is Hue that is in the position to do something about it.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 12:16 AM)J24 Wrote: 1st off Ben wasn't an elite QB in 08 dude had only thrown 17 TDs to 15 interceptions if you thinks  that's elite then we need to have a serious talk. Secondly I   would rather have a coach that can think rather than one that just yells. I'll give you another guy who wasn't a fiery guy Chuck Noll he won 4 championships with the Steelers or how about Tony Dungy he has a ring. Oh before your say well he had Peyton that's why he won I would like to point out to you that Peyton threw 3 TDs to 7 ints in that postseason run. My point being Marvin personality has very little to do with our playoff woes instead it has to do with the fact that when plays needed to be made they weren't.

I don't care what Ben's stats were that year, he was still a top QB. Brady put up less than thrilling stats early in his career, but he was still considered a top guy at his position. Wyche stole my thunder a bit, but I'd love to see your answer. Do you think it's just coincidence that soooo many players have failed in the playoffs under Marvin Lewis? Honestly?
(06-20-2015, 12:38 AM)J24 Wrote: The dirty little secret about professional sports is that coaching is vastly overrated because it is a players game. 

This is silly. Here's some recent coaches that immediately changed teams for the better:

Jim Harbaugh - 49ers
John Harbaugh - Ravens
Chip Kelly - Eagles
Pete Carroll - Seahawks
Bruce Arians - Cardinals
Andy Reid - Chiefs
Sean Payton - Saints
Jim Caldwell - Lions

You think it's coincidence that these teams started winning overnight? Just stop.

(06-20-2015, 10:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: Comparing one of the most entertaining Super Bowls in NFL history to these playoff embarrassments is really, really laughable.  Sorry, it just is.....

The lengths some will go to just to defend Marv.
(06-20-2015, 02:32 PM)FanStuckInIndy Wrote: Don't sleep on Marvin!

I've been awake for 12 years now. Starting to get tired.  Yawn
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 11:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually what you said was that the Bengals had made NO MOVES at all.

I am through playing this game.  I can tell my your member name that you are nothing more than a troll, but you are not even very good at that.  Good trolls at least try to make realistic comments to stir the pot.  Yours are just silly.

Oh fred....Lighten up an relax....ffs man.  I know you don't work for the Bucs and have no real knowledge of why they cut him.  I was just trying to get you to admit it.   You're just a fan like me who reads and has opinions just like me.  We have no real first hand knowledge and probably are just average joes with regular jobs.

This should be a decent place for fans to talk about the bengals.  But hey, if you do feel like namecalling and attacking somebody here, just take deep breath and step away for awhile.  You'll feel better soon.   Have yourself a wonderful day!  Wink
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 11:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've been awake for 12 years now. Starting to get tired.  Yawn

Yeah but but but if Marvin leaves we will automatically go back to the 90's and be the laughing stock of the NFL. We will win 3 games a year tops, despite having a deep team and how different football has changed since the 90's. It doesn't matter. No Marvin can't leave...better not leave. We have to be happy just getting one week in the playoffs because what is the alternative? Our season will be over after week 4 in the regular season. Don't you get it? We will go back to the 90s! Back too:

Grunge
Friends
Seinfeld
Thelma And Louise
AOL
Prodigy
Pagers
Tickle Me Elmo
Monica Lewinsky
The Dream Team
Ross Perot
and....
The 90's Bengals!

So no, Marvin...dont leave...dont you ever ever ever leave! We can't return to the 90's!
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 12:04 AM)GodFather Wrote: Yeah but but but if Marvin leaves we will automatically go back to the 90's and be the laughing stock of the NFL. We will win 3 games a year tops, despite having a deep team and how different football has changed since the 90's. It doesn't matter. No Marvin can't leave...better not leave. We have to be happy just getting one week in the playoffs because what is the alternative? Our season will be over after week 4 in the regular season. Don't you get it? We will go back to the 90s! Back too:

Grunge
Friends
Seinfeld
Thelma And Louise
AOL
Prodigy
Pagers
Tickle Me Elmo
Monica Lewinsky
The Dream Team
Ross Perot
and....
The 90's Bengals!

So no, Marvin...dont leave...dont you ever ever ever leave! We can't return to the 90's!

No we won't, "coaching is overrated in professional sports"....... Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 09:39 AM)Wyche Wrote: No we won't, "coaching is overrated in professional sports"....... Smirk

I'm not even sure why they bother having coaches.....lol

Hey that's it ! Sure fire way to not return to the 90's if we let Marvin go. Just get rid of all the coaches and just wing it every game.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 11:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is silly. Here's some recent coaches that immediately changed teams for the better:

Jim Harbaugh - 49ers
John Harbaugh - Ravens
Chip Kelly - Eagles
Pete Carroll - Seahawks
Bruce Arians - Cardinals
Andy Reid - Chiefs

Of course it is easy to improve a team when you take over a loser like all of these guys did,  but Kelly, Reid, Arians have all failed to win a playoff game with their new teams.

Also funny that you did not mention Chan Gailey, Doug Marone, Mark Trestman, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Jason Garrett, Rob Marinelli, Jim Schwartz, Mike Mularky, Gus Bradley, Joe Philbin, Leslie Frazier, Lane Kiffen, Tom Cable, Norv Turner, Art Shell, Dennis Allen, Tony Sparano, Steve Spagnuolo, Scott Linehan, Jeff Fisher, Raheem Morris, Greg Shiano, Mike Munchak, Ken whisenhunt, Jim Zorn, Mike Shanahan, or Jay Gruden.

I am not saying that Marvin is a great coach.  If someone could say they had a proven upgrade to replace him with then I would be all for letting him go.  But change just for the sake of change does not fix anything.

The Bengals have rarely been favored to win a playoff game under Marvin.  BUt if we are a 7 point favorite at home like we were against the Chargers and fold again, then I would consider taking a chance on an unknown to replace him.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 12:04 AM)GodFather Wrote: Yeah but but but if Marvin leaves we will automatically go back to the 90's and be the laughing stock of the NFL. We will win 3 games a year tops, despite having a deep team and how different football has changed since the 90's. It doesn't matter. No Marvin can't leave...better not leave. We have to be happy just getting one week in the playoffs because what is the alternative? Our season will be over after week 4 in the regular season. Don't you get it? We will go back to the 90s! Back too:

Grunge
Friends
Seinfeld
Thelma And Louise
AOL
Prodigy
Pagers
Tickle Me Elmo
Monica Lewinsky
The Dream Team
Ross Perot
and....
The 90's Bengals!

Did you happen to notice that you are the ONLY person making this claim.

I think you are trying to be clever, but it was a massive fail.  You can't really make fun of something that NO ONE is saying.  
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 04:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Of course it is easy to improve a team when you take over a loser like all of these guys did,  but Kelly, Reid, Arians have all failed to win a playoff game with their new teams.

Also funny that you did not mention Chan Gailey, Doug Marone, Mark Trestman, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Jason Garrett, Rob Marinelli, Jim Schwartz, Mike Mularky, Gus Bradley, Joe Philbin, Leslie Frazier, Lane Kiffen, Tom Cable, Norv Turner, Art Shell, Dennis Allen, Tony Sparano, Steve Spagnuolo, Scott Linehan, Jeff Fisher, Raheem Morris, Greg Shiano, Mike Munchak, Ken whisenhunt, Jim Zorn, Mike Shanahan, or Jay Gruden.

I am not saying that Marvin is a great coach.  If someone could say they had a proven upgrade to replace him with then I would be all for letting him go.  But change just for the sake of change does not fix anything.

The Bengals have rarely been favored to win a playoff game under Marvin.  BUt if we are a 7 point favorite at home like we were against the Chargers and fold again, then I would consider taking a chance on an unknown to replace him.

People tend to forget that we had 10 players on IR in 2013 too. We are always really banged up going into the playoffs. I know people say next man up, but we normally have a lot of key players hurt going into the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 12:04 AM)GodFather Wrote: the 90's

[Image: JN1jiVG.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 04:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1. Of course it is easy to improve a team when you take over a loser like all of these guys did,  2. but Kelly, Reid, Arians have all failed to win a playoff game with their new teams.

3. Also funny that you did not mention Chan Gailey, Doug Marone, Mark Trestman, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Jason Garrett, Rob Marinelli, Jim Schwartz, Mike Mularky, Gus Bradley, Joe Philbin, Leslie Frazier, Lane Kiffen, Tom Cable, Norv Turner, Art Shell, Dennis Allen, Tony Sparano, Steve Spagnuolo, Scott Linehan, Jeff Fisher, Raheem Morris, Greg Shiano, Mike Munchak, Ken whisenhunt, Jim Zorn, Mike Shanahan, or Jay Gruden.

4. I am not saying that Marvin is a great coach.  If someone could say they had a proven upgrade to replace him with then I would be all for letting him go.  But change just for the sake of change does not fix anything.

5. The Bengals have rarely been favored to win a playoff game under Marvin.  BUt if we are a 7 point favorite at home like we were against the Chargers and fold again, then I would consider taking a chance on an unknown to replace him.

1. So I guess you don't give Marv much credit for the turnaround in 2003? After all, it's easy.

2. Kelly, Reid and Arians have each been with their current team's for two years. After two years, Marv hadn't even been to the playoffs, so all of these coaches are ahead of where he was. Perhaps if they get 11 more years like Marv, they'll manage to win playoff games.

3. Thanks for helping me prove my point to J24. Coaching matters and is not overrated.

4. Say Marvin loses another playoff game, extending his playoff record to 0-7. Would firing him really be "change for the sake of change"? 

5. This argument is so silly. As if underdogs never win. I wonder how many times the underdog has won in the playoffs over the last 5 years or so? I'm pretty sure the 2012 Ravens were underdogs all the way through the Super Bowl. They won 3 straight road games. We shouldn't have to be 7 point home favorites to be upset about a playoff loss. Especially when the losses have been so embarrassing and so numerous.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2015, 01:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 5. This argument is so silly. As if underdogs never win. I wonder how many times the underdog has won in the playoffs over the last 5 years or so? I'm pretty sure the 2012 Ravens were underdogs all the way through the Super Bowl. They won 3 straight road games. We shouldn't have to be 7 point home favorites to be upset about a playoff loss. Especially when the losses have been so embarrassing and so numerous.

I tried to explain the silliness about Fred's constant banter about odds so many times but it's never any good.

The point that some people bring up odds is that we weren't "supposed" to win. What were the odds and final score of those games?

Were we "supposed" to get blown out? Say one of the games had a spread of -4 to the Texas (I can't remember exactly what they were) but we lose by 14. That means we weren't "supposed" to lose by 10 of those points. That's no bueno no matter how you look at it.

People that use "but, but, but...ODDS!" don't even fully comprehend their own argument. They're actually making Marvin look WORSE by using odds by showing that he rarely covers the spread or wins when he's the underdog. Those things are NOT positives, yet Marvin supporters bring up the odds as if it helps their claim.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 04:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Did you happen to notice that you are the ONLY person making this claim.

I think you are trying to be clever, but it was a massive fail.  You can't really make fun of something that NO ONE is saying.  

Are you kidding me? If you don't see those posts on this board then you aren't looking or reading isn't your strong point. Use your eyes not your mouth, you'll see it. And it was a joke to Shake which he got. Humor doesn't seem to be something you can grasp on too.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2015, 01:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This argument is so silly. 

Shake the term "Arguing for the sake of arguing" comes to mind on half of his posts. It's a button pusher thing. If you said what he did, then his reply would be the complete opposite point of view.  :snark:
Reply/Quote