Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hue Jackson
(12-14-2015, 04:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: Dalton's regression may because those "cute" shifts everyone hates on are gone with Hue. Those shifts force the defense into checks to more basic coverage which give Dalton a much easier defense to read. People think Hue does it for fun, but there is a legitimate football reason, and I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes the "it" thing around the league next year.

100% agree ....the ones who complain about this are the ones who just don't understand football on a technical level.  
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 04:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was feeling pretty pessimistic sitting there with my Steeler fan pals yesterday and I predicted Hue gets a HC job, the Bengals get some crap OC to replace him, Dalton regresses to being an 86.3 rating QB, and the window closes.  Yea, melodramatic.

You're forgiven.  If ever there were a day for melodrama, yesterday was it.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I agree with what most have said.

A few sprinkling of "cute" plays do not equate to bad play calling all season.

I do however question the ability of the O-line to block well for the run against better D lines.

Hue or Alexander needs to address this and fast. AJ can't do it all with his arm.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 04:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What are you talking about? Whenever we do the shifts its either A. a bubble screen to the outside or B. a run play. 

There is no need to read a defense when the the place the ball is going to is predetermined before the snap. 

False, the shifts are not just the wide tackles you reference. They come out in all sorts of formations then shift some go from a crowded box to spread others go spread to tight with lots of combinations in between. The concept is the same you change the formation from their initial checks forcing them to abandon the defense and call a basic coverage.As for the wide tackle formation you mentioned you are correct it is a numbers read, if the numbers favor you in the box you run if they are stacked you throw the bubble. That is a simple numbers game and one that is scheme sound.
Reply/Quote
Overall I feel Hue has done a great job with both Dalton and the offense. However I agree he's thrown in one to many "cute" plays in 3 or 4 games.

Trick plays only work when you catch the defense off guard because you're running a regularish offense most of the time. They have their place and I don't cry when they fail.

But if you're running a trick or cute play once every offensive series the defense is looking for them and it's harder to catch them off guard.

There's a balance there and Hue has exceeded it at times.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hue Jackson is my favorite OC of all time. He called a good game yesterday, we just didn't execute as much as we planned. I hope he stays with Marvin because those 2 could bring us a super bowl.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 12:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Hue Jackson, in my opinion, has been a bad play caller/ game planner all year. I think he maybe one of the more overrated coaches in the league.

Im getting a little tired of his crazy formations, splitting Whit out wide only to run the ball when your best offensive lineman isnt even on the line. How does that make sense? Why do screen passes to Fisher, an offensive lineman, when you have a guy like Bernard who is leaps and bounds more of a play maker? I just don't get it.

Hue is getting too cute. He is trying to trick his opponent when we should just be lining up and letting our skill guys, who are some of the best in the league, do their job. 2nd and goal at the 4 and we do a little shuffle pass play? Really? Line up your guy and run the damn ball. Have some faith in your players.

Andy went out of the game yesterday and what do we do? Pass the ball 3 straight times. Why not lean on the run at that point? Even when we do run, why are we continuing to lean on Hill? Its OBVIOUS that Gio has been a significantly better runner than hill this year and can do so much more, yet he has gotten a fraction of the touches lately. Are we afraid to hurt Hill's feelings?

I'm just getting tired of it. We talk all the time about how "talented" this team is, yet we do some bullshit on offense where we don't even get our best players involved. C'mon Hue.

Totally disagree  .. you can argue a formation on a play etc, and i can also point out where we have been effective on different formations.. also you and I do not have the film, data or knowledge to speak as a NFL coach when they are game planning.  In the end I look at the resume of the body of work so here is what I have 

Bengals are 10-3 , are 4th in NFL in scoring and 6th in yards.. i say we are doing pretty damn well overall
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 12:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm just getting tired of it. We talk all the time about how "talented" this team is, yet we do some bullshit on offense where we don't even get our best players involved. C'mon Hue.

No matter what any offensive coordinator has ever done here he gets criticized.

If he runs the ball all the time and keeps the passing game simple then he is "too conservative" and everyone talks about how the other team knows exactly what play is going to be called.

If he tries to be creative he is "getting too cute."

If he throws the ball then he is "pass happy".
Reply/Quote