Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunters and gun safety
Full disclaimer: I have never hunted. I have never fired a gun. I have always supported the 2nd amendment, though I feel there are issues with some weapons that can be bought and why they could possibly be needed. I still believe you have a right to own a gun and carry it with you. I'd like you to have proper training and all that also.

(My dad hunted up until I was about 4 years old and then gave it up. His rifle and the ones his brothers had were in a cabinet at my grandmother's house. No glass in the door and we knew better than to ever think about touching them let alone removing them from the cabinet.)

I support hunting. I think its good for maintaining population control of various species. I also love the taste of deer meat! Smirk

I understand there is a tremendous amount of safety involved in hunting.

However this has been making the rounds on Facebook for the past week or so:

[Image: 12190905_1072806859410481_79087894529525...e=56E36D4B]

And I just found it...odd.

Even accidentally you would think there would be at least one.

And so I did a 10 second google search and found out there was not one.

There were 22.

Now, statistically that's still almost nothing.

But why do people have to post that were were zero other than for hyperbole?

Its okay to admit there will be accidents and there will be deliberate shooting without saying we have to ban guns in my book.

Ignoring that those things happen makes the poster look as foolish as the person who thinks that banning guns will end gun violence.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I hunt.  I own guns.  I'm a law abiding, responsible gun owner and I don't have any psychiatric problems.  I don't worry about gun control laws because they will have little to no effect on me.  If I miss the opening day of turkey season because of a background check prior to a gun purchase then that's my fault for piss poor planning.  The NRA has gotten ridiculous.  I don't believe gun control laws will completely eliminate gun violence, but I think a more thorough back ground check might have some impact to reduce the number.  Even if it is only by one.
(12-04-2015, 12:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: Full disclaimer:  I have never hunted.  I have never fired a gun.  I have always supported the 2nd amendment, though I feel there are issues with some weapons that can be bought and why they could possibly be needed.  I still believe you have a right to own a gun and carry it with you.  I'd like you to have proper training and all that also.

(My dad hunted up until I was about 4 years old and then gave it up.  His rifle and the ones his brothers had were in a cabinet at my grandmother's house.  No glass in the door and we knew better than to ever think about touching them let alone removing them from the cabinet.)

I support hunting.  I think its good for maintaining population control of various species.  I also love the taste of deer meat!  Smirk

I understand there is a tremendous amount of safety involved in hunting.

However this has been making the rounds on Facebook for the past week or so:

[Image: 12190905_1072806859410481_79087894529525...e=56E36D4B]

And I just found it...odd.  

Even accidentally you would think there would be at least one.

And so I did a 10 second google search and found out there was not one.

There were 22.

Now, statistically that's still almost nothing.

But why do people have to post that were were zero other than for hyperbole?

Its okay to admit there will be accidents and there will be deliberate shooting without saying we have to ban guns in my book.

Ignoring that those things happen makes the poster look as foolish as the person who thinks that banning guns will end gun violence.

Because they don't think many people will check.  Facebook doesn't interest me much, but I completely lost interest when I saw countless people reposting garbage they didn't bother to check.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-04-2015, 03:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Because they don't think many people will check.  Facebook doesn't interest me much, but I completely lost interest when I saw countless people reposting garbage they didn't bother to check.  

I hear ya.....I just use it to keep in touch and see family pics, etc.....and old friends were interested in my family pics, apparently....oh, and sports shit talking...lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

(12-04-2015, 03:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: I hear ya.....I just use it to keep in touch and see family pics, etc.....and old friends were interested in my family pics, apparently....oh, and sports shit talking...lol.

Facebook is everyone's racist drunk uncle and Twitter is everyone's know-it-all annoying college freshman cousin 
(12-04-2015, 03:42 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Facebook is everyone's racist drunk uncle and Twitter is everyone's know-it-all annoying college freshman cousin 

LMAO how true

Again, a gift from Facebook.  Perhaps those who have purchased can attest to its accuracy?

Edit: When I first saw the infographic I didn't see it was along with the gun related deaths.

I guess its interesting as a general guide?

[Image: firearm-mainchart-oct5-3.png]
(12-04-2015, 03:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: Again, a gift from Facebook.  Perhaps those who have purchased can attest to its accuracy?

Edit: When I first saw the infographic I didn't see it was along with the gun related deaths.

I guess its interesting as a general guide?

[Image: firearm-mainchart-oct5-3.png]

But look at the source.....I betcha I could find a NRA chart on the same premise to refute this one....truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. With all of the gang violence on the West Coast and Mexican drug cartels, I find it hard to believe that KY has a higher per capita gun death rate.

(12-04-2015, 03:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: But look at the source.....I betcha I could find a NRA chart on the same premise to refute this one....truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

I have to imagine the death numbers are skewed at least.  I'd be interested in seeing more in depth breakdowns of them.
(12-04-2015, 03:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: I have to imagine the death numbers are skewed at least.  I'd be interested in seeing more in depth breakdowns of them.

Yes.....and see my edit to my post in reference to the skewing.

I'll see all your statistics and facts in the world and raise you one 2nd Amendment.

Check mate.

But seriously though, you can ban guns but then people will just go on 20+ person killing sprees with switchblades, nunchucks, and baseball bats. If someone wants to kill you badly enough they will do so with or without a gun. Also, if you want to stop that person badly enough you should be able to do so with a hammer, not a concealed weapon of your own. Why do we need the right to carry firearms when you can defend yourself with a pocket knife?

Hmm, now that I think of it, why do we bother giving soldiers guns when we can just give them hammers and tell them "If you want to protect America enough this hammer will do the job just as well as a gun." Oh well, I'm off to go hunting. I really want to feed my family so I'm going to hunt with a pointy stick because I don't see how guns make killing things any easier.
(12-04-2015, 01:06 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don't have any psychiatric problems.

...is just what a crazy person says.
(12-04-2015, 03:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: ...is just what a crazy person says.

We disagree. 
(12-04-2015, 04:53 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: We disagree. 

Disagreeing with me?  Crazy flag #2.
(12-04-2015, 05:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Disagreeing with me?  Crazy flag #2.

Yep....I can see where this is heading....

(12-04-2015, 05:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep....I can see where this is heading....

Thinks he can see the future?  ...crazy.
Come on. How difficult is it to obtain a concealed carry?

That's completely subjective.

And the checks? If they're a federally licensed dealer, they have to have some kind of check. 13 states do that entirely on their own (almost entirely what your chart says as yes), several more have some other kind of system but 36 still check directly with the FBI.

[Image: 4dcd6ade-2758-44ed-8ada-948f47ccc016.jpeg]
On your initial graphic Dino:

Speaking on Florida . There is current legislation Coming up for a vote that open carry will be the same as concealed I believe ..... It made it through committee a few months ago .
On Virginia, the difficulty for CC should be listed as easy. All that is needed is safety course and a clean background. Hunter education works for the class.
(12-04-2015, 06:20 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: On Virginia, the difficulty for CC should be listed as easy. All that is needed is safety course and a clean background. Hunter education works for the class.

Florida permit I believe opens you up for other states as well.

And really a hunters safety course should be very similar. I still think we would be better off teaching these courses in public high schools . Generals public awareness should be higher and kids only exposure shouldn't be from video games.