Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Hypothetical - Dalton for Mariota?
Assume for a second it could just be a one-for-one deal.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

TEN can still make the playoffs and has a decent line. AD could thrive there and likely live to see his 35th birthday. Dalton is a much better bet for them than Tannehill, for the love of cold french fries in a Wendy's Frosty.

Mariota is mobile enough with some tools, and maybe he learns something under Taylor.

It's worth a freaking try.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You'd need a great line and a strong running game to win with Mariota. Does that sound like us?
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 01:22 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Assume for a second it could just be a one-for-one deal.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

TEN can still make the playoffs and has a decent line. AD could thrive there and likely live to see his 35th birthday. Dalton is a much better bet for them than Tannehill, for the love of cold french fries in a Wendy's Frosty.

Mariota is mobile enough with some tools, and maybe he learns something under Taylor.

It's worth a freaking try.

I'd be fine with Mariota as a backup, but I don't see him ever getting to that elite level. He's a 9-7 type of QB.
I haven't watched a ton of him, but from the times I have, I still don't see him being able to read defenses or go through progressions well.
That will take more than one offseason to coach him into doing well.
He also doesn't run for as much as I expected him to, which limits his value I think. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Mariota is a bust. This trade gets neither team anywhere.

The Panthers may have a new QB but need a receiver. Though it will never happen the idea of AJ for Cam intrigues me.

Having said that I love AJ and hope he retires a Bengal.

I'm going to go out my flame retardant suit on now.
Reply/Quote
Not sure it would be an upgrade that gets us any closer to a SB. Mariota has a lot of attributes and intangibles you look for in a QB, but he just processes too slow and that will never play well in the NFL. The game moves too fast to have a slow brain.
Reply/Quote
Mariota is an underperforming injury prone QB. Why would he be an upgrade over Dalton?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
We had Mariota last year. We called him Driskel
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
No. Draft Dalton's replacement.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think we'd still be in a position to draft Dalton's replacement. Ideally you want that guy to have a little time behind a starter to take things in.

But yes, I do think MM is an upgrade to Andy, merely because of the strengths and weaknesses of this particular team.

Our strengths: Most of the guys on this team appear to be free of shingles.

Weaknesses: Everything else, including anything remotely resembling an offensive line.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Mariota was looking to be a good QB after his second year, as he put up some good numbers and played well. But his 3rd year he regressed badly, hasnt come close since to regaining that earlier form for whatever reason.

But no, I dont see him as an upgrade right now to Andy, imo.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Ehh, we keep saying it doesn't matter who is behind this line so I guess it wouldn't matter. If we did trade for Mariotta I'd assume we'd have the same chance of extending him as we do Dalton after this year. Both guys seems like middling vets who will keep the QB spot until we are (apparently) good enough elsewhere on the team to warrant drafting a new starting QB.
Reply/Quote
I'd say no. Not a popular opinion, but we have the best bridge qb available this offseason on the roster already.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 01:42 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I think we'd still be in a position to draft Dalton's replacement. Ideally you want that guy to have a little time behind a starter to take things in.

But yes, I do think MM is an upgrade to Andy, merely because of the strengths and weaknesses of this particular team.

Our strengths: Most of the guys on this team appear to be free of shingles.

Weaknesses: Everything else, including anything remotely resembling an offensive line.

I think Mariota is a free agent too after this year.
Reply/Quote
FOr good or ill, I think ZT might have to talk Mike Brown out of sticking with Dalton for years to come IF IF IF he actually wants to move on from him. If ZT pushes for his own QB and it doesn't go great he's going to be in trouble. Is he a boat-rocker?
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: FOr good or ill, I think ZT might have to talk Mike Brown out of sticking with Dalton for years to come IF IF IF he actually wants to move on from him.  If ZT pushes for his own QB and it doesn't go great he's going to be in trouble.  Is he a boat-rocker?

It all depends on what MB thinks of the team. He likely still sees them as talented and close to competing.

That said, say Dalton costs $20 million a year and a rookie QB is $7 million a year. That's a HUGE savings.

Of course, he stayed with Marvin forever for fear that he'd miss on a HC. QB has that same risk.
Reply/Quote
Remember, after 2010 we were all so sure this team needed a deep cleanse and a reboot but even while Marvin, Chad and Carson were all complaining about the direction of the franchise Mike Brown's response was simply to stay the course and get them next year. I find it hard to believe he's going to cut Dalton if Dalton is playing good soldier when he hasn't shown much initiative in getting rid of anyone who isn't actively demanding to escape.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: FOr good or ill, I think ZT might have to talk Mike Brown out of sticking with Dalton for years to come IF IF IF he actually wants to move on from him.  If ZT pushes for his own QB and it doesn't go great he's going to be in trouble.  Is he a boat-rocker?

I honestly don't think Mike Brown makes many, if any, decisions any more. I firmly believe Katie and Duke and Troy are running the team. I think the only reason he hasn't made a big public deal about him letting Katie et al take over is because he wants to wait until the team is doing well. Then he can say, he's stepped back and the team is Katie's and look how well she's doing.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It all depends on what MB thinks of the team. He likely still sees them as talented and close to competing.

That said, say Dalton costs $20 million a year and a rookie QB is $7 million a year. That's a HUGE savings.

Of course, he stayed with Marvin forever for fear that he'd miss on a HC. QB has that same risk.

Yeah, but Mike has NEVER been shy about taking a franchise QB. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 01:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: No. Draft Dalton's replacement.

They need to see what Finley can do against #1s, to decide if he's worth starting or if he's a backup/cut before they draft another QB.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 01:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh, we keep saying it doesn't matter who is behind this line so I guess it wouldn't matter.  If we did trade for Mariotta I'd assume we'd have the same chance of extending him as we do Dalton after this year.  Both guys seems like middling vets who will keep the QB spot until we are (apparently) good enough elsewhere on the team to warrant drafting a new starting QB.

Be careful with that "we" because people who say that...are mistaken. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote