Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I’m excited for next season...
(03-31-2021, 12:50 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Our defense lost us 2 or 3 games last year by allowing teams to march down the field after Burrow and the O put us in position to win. The worst one was against the Colts and Browns. Bullock lost us a game or 2 as well. He was anti-clutch. But he is gone and so is Sims. We will be much healthier on D with better depth, and hopefully it stays that way. Losing our 2 biggest FA's from last year hurt. Waynes didnt even play. Then Atkins and Hubbard and its no wonder the D sucked so bad. Especially with 3 rookie LB's. 

Ths is Zac's year. He seems to be building a team full of good players and leaders. If we lose a bunch of games this year, he will be gone. 

Time will tell.  Every team needs to expect injuries every year.  They must find a way to overcome.  Assuming that every player will be healthy this season because they weren't last year doesn't ring for me.  The coaching staff has shown their lack of flexibility in overcoming injuries and not having "their" guys the past two years, so I just don't carry confidence that somehow it's all going to go perfectly this year and the Bengals are finally a playoff team under Taylor.  

I'm hoping for the best, but I think it's important to be realistic, too.  We added one guy to the OL this year and I see a lot of praise that our OL issues are fixed now and I just don't buy that.  The team is one injury away from being right back where they were.  And how do we really have that much more depth on the defense?  We lost Dunlap, Lawson and Geno on the line since we started last season and added two guys in FA.  Yes, if we get guys back from injuries we'll have more, but that's not an offseason improvement where the team was proactive in building depth.  You mention Bullock lost us a couple of games and he's gone.  Yes, he is.  But we have an unknown at that spot now.  The new guy could lose the team more games or be a clutch kicker for years to come.  I can't hold up Bullock being gone as an improvement until we see the replacement.  

I'm excited for every new season, and I want and hope for the best.  I'm always amped through TC and going into the opener to see how the team performs.  But there's really nothing that's happened in the last 3 months that's gotten me particularly optimistic thinking this is the year the team turns the corner with this coaching staff and the personnel changes they've made or haven't made. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 01:14 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Time will tell.  Every team needs to expect injuries every year.  They must find a way to overcome.  Assuming that every player will be healthy this season because they weren't last year doesn't ring for me.  The coaching staff has shown their lack of flexibility in overcoming injuries and not having "their" guys the past two years, so I just don't carry confidence that somehow it's all going to go perfectly this year and the Bengals are finally a playoff team under Taylor.  

I'm hoping for the best, but I think it's important to be realistic, too.  We added one guy to the OL this year and I see a lot of praise that our OL issues are fixed now and I just don't buy that.  The team is one injury away from being right back where they were.  And how do we really have that much more depth on the defense?  We lost Dunlap, Lawson and Geno on the line since we started last season and added two guys in FA.  Yes, if we get guys back from injuries we'll have more, but that's not an offseason improvement where the team was proactive in building depth.  You mention Bullock lost us a couple of games and he's gone.  Yes, he is.  But we have an unknown at that spot now.  The new guy could lose the team more games or be a clutch kicker for years to come.  I can't hold up Bullock being gone as an improvement until we see the replacement.  

I'm excited for every new season, and I want and hope for the best.  I'm always amped through TC and going into the opener to see how the team performs.  But there's really nothing that's happened in the last 3 months that's gotten me particularly optimistic thinking this is the year the team turns the corner with this coaching staff and the personnel changes they've made or haven't made. 

I pretty much agree with everything you say here MileHigh.  

I dont think you can say the OL issues are fixed now because we signed Reif and brought back Pollack.  Do I think the team believes they'll be better on OL with the addition of Pollack, yes.  However, in reality we don't know if Jonah can play a full season.  He's played 10 games out of 26 so far.  If i remember correctly both XSF and Spain were nicked up last year and Reif is a great pick up but the guys 33/34 years old.  The chances of us staying 100% healthy on the line are slim and none. 

Randy Bullock sucked as a kicker but Seibert, I believe is his name, was cut from the Browns and missed quite a few clutch kicks with them.  So are we really improving in that area.  
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 12:29 PM)milksheikh Wrote: The draft hasn’t happened yet, but I can definitely say I’m super excited for next season. We were in SO MANY close games last season where when I look back on the games, we could’ve won a lot of the games we lost. I think we’re on the right track and if we figure out how to finish games and protect Burrow, there’s no doubt in my mind we can be a playoff team this upcoming season.

In our 11 losses, 5 of them were less than a touchdown deficit.

If we can draft some o-linemen and get Burrow another weapon this draft while stacking up on more talent on the d-line... I think we’re primed to have a great season. I’m just trying to be optimistic.

I am with you, I just hope the coaching starts to come around. 

We had just as many close games as the Chiefs last year, difference?

The Chiefs under Andy Reid won those close games. If Taylor and company can get this team to start finishing things will turn 
around, Taylor will be in his 3rd year as a HC and it is a make or break year for him. With Burrow an improved O-line and on 
Defense actually having a pass rush it could turn around. I didn't want Lou back but what am I gonna do except hope he gets 
better at his job.

Yeah, I am excited. We need to win at least 9 games for Taylor to come back IMO.

Hope he comes back lol
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am with you, I just hope the coaching starts to come around. 

We had just as many close games as the Chiefs last year, difference?

The Chiefs under Andy Reid won those close games. If Taylor and company can get this team to start finishing things will turn 
around, Taylor will be in his 3rd year as a HC and it is a make or break year for him. With Burrow an improved O-line and on 
Defense actually having a pass rush it could turn around. I didn't want Lou back but what am I gonna do except hope he gets 
better at his job.

Yeah, I am excited. We need to win at least 9 games for Taylor to come back IMO.

Hope he comes back lol

Love your positive thinking, Nate.  

But with a 17-game season and two seasons completely wasted, Taylor better do a lot better than 9 wins this year.  I need to see playoffs, and not a collapse in the playoffs, either.  He'll have had 3 years to figure it out.  Which is more than enough time to get a team turned around in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 06:37 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Love your positive thinking, Nate.  

But with a 17-game season and two seasons completely wasted, Taylor better do a lot better than 9 wins this year.  I need to see playoffs, and not a collapse in the playoffs, either.  He'll have had 3 years to figure it out.  Which is more than enough time to get a team turned around in the NFL. 

Come to think about it, I agree with you MHG. Playoff win or lets move on before Burrow's career starts going down the tubes.

9 wins won't get us into the Playoffs with a 17 game season. I forgot about that part.

Make or break year for sure for Taylor and Lou namely.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 06:37 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Love your positive thinking, Nate.  

Heck, many great coaches have turned around dead franchises in one season.

3 years is a long term rebuild by NFL standards.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 11:38 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Offensively, the Jets were devoid of virtually any talent beyond Barkley but he missed last year and in 2019 he suffered a high ankle strain midway in the season leading to lost games and only 1000 yards for the year.  They’re moving on from Darnold after 2 years, have no TE of note and Robby Anderson is their top WR.  Line is lacking talent too.  

Coaches aren’t miracle workers.  I think the 2021 Bengals will  have far more talent that Pollack has dealt with the last 3 years.  I think it’s a mistake not to have optimism for this team (at least offensively).  Too much talent.

Really? Where's the talent coming from because it certainly isn't here now? So far they have replaced Bobby Hart with Reily Reiff, which is a great step up, no doubt. But not anywhere close enough to making this OLine even average. I will also point out that the only time Reiff has been asked to play the right side (in Detroit) he struggled. And if they end up with Jamarr Chase in the first round, this team will finish last in the AFCN again. Because any OLinemen they take in rounds two and later won't play well until at least mid season. I think they'll finish last again even if they do get Penei Sewell in the first round. The window for fixing this Oline for the 2021 season has already passed. And, as usual this front office results has been found extremely wanting. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 11:38 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Offensively, the Jets were devoid of virtually any talent beyond Barkley but he missed last year and in 2019 he suffered a high ankle strain midway in the season leading to lost games and only 1000 yards for the year.  They’re moving on from Darnold after 2 years, have no TE of note and Robby Anderson is their top WR.  Line is lacking talent too.  

Coaches aren’t miracle workers.  I think the 2021 Bengals will  have far more talent that Pollack has dealt with the last 3 years.  I think it’s a mistake not to have optimism for this team (at least offensively).  Too much talent.

I say again, where's the far more talent? They swapped Bobby Hart for Riley Reiff. Good move no doubt. But its starting to look like they are completely done improving the OLine in free agency this year. And they could very well not draft any linemen until the second round in the draft if Chase is there when they pick in the first round.  

I mean, this is the same team whose big FA pickup for the Oline in 2020 was Xavier Su'a-filo, a player that couldn't crack the starting lineup in two seasons at Dallas, and then proceeded to not draft any lineman whatsoever until the 6th round. 

Pollack may very well be an outstanding coach but I'm merely pointing out that there is no history to suggest he's going to be tremendously successful with what he's going to be given this coming season which is an average to below average offensive line.  
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 02:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The vast majority of games in the NFL are decided by 1 score. Bad teams lose them, good teams win them. It's not a sign of being "close", it's just a sign you are a losing team.

I remember doing this for (I think) the 2019 season. If all 1 score losses were turned into wins for all teams, there were only 2 teams with a losing record, and those teams had a 7-9 record.

[Image: -coffee-is-for-closers.png]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 09:15 AM)bengalfreak Wrote: Really? Where's the talent coming from because it certainly isn't here now? So far they have replaced Bobby Hart with Reily Reiff, which is a great step up, no doubt. But not anywhere close enough to making this OLine even average. I will also point out that the only time Reiff has been asked to play the right side (in Detroit) he struggled. And if they end up with Jamarr Chase in the first round, this team will finish last in the AFCN again. Because any OLinemen they take in rounds two and later won't play well until at least mid season. I think they'll finish last again even if they do get Penei Sewell in the first round. The window for fixing this Oline for the 2021 season has already passed. And, as usual this front office results has been found extremely wanting. 

They're finishing last in the division regardless of who they draft. Penei Sewell isn't going to make up for incompetence on the sidelines, and Baltimore and Cleveland are light years ahead of us right now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Big picture I think the Bengals are still 2 good drafts away from being serious contenders. The coaching staff is a huge question mark and this roster this has glaring holes at multiple spots. Carson Palmer made the playoffs in his 3rd year but that roster had a good foundation when he got drafted in 2003. At offensive line they already had Willie Anderson, Levi Jones, Eric Steinbach , Rich Braham and later Bobbie Williams. At receiver we already had Chad Johnson / Houshmandzadeh and a good running game with Rudi Johnson. Palmer also had a head coach in Lewis who had previous experience as a super bowl coordinator unlike Taylor who was a QB coach and Anarumo who was DB coach. Even the 2011 team you had Whitworth/ Smith at tackle with Bobbie Williams. Gresham at TE. You had two young studs in Atkins/ Dunlap with Peko at DL. Leon Hall was a legit CB1 and had Reggie Nelson at safety. They also had assets to trade to gain draft capital. They flipped Palmer for a 1st and 2nd. They traded Chad Johnson to the Patriots for a 5th that ended up being Marvin Jones and traded Keith Rivers to the Giants for a 5th that ended up being George Iloka.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 12:29 PM)milksheikh Wrote: The draft hasn’t happened yet, but I can definitely say I’m super excited for next season. We were in SO MANY close games last season where when I look back on the games, we could’ve won a lot of the games we lost. I think we’re on the right track and if we figure out how to finish games and protect Burrow, there’s no doubt in my mind we can be a playoff team this upcoming season.

If we can draft some o-linemen and get Burrow another weapon this draft while stacking up on more talent on the d-line... I think we’re primed to have a great season. I’m just trying to be optimistic.

Good cause they can't let you down yet.... savor the moment...soak it in..
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 06:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heck, many great coaches have turned around dead franchises in one season.

Completely agree with this, but my counter would be that the Bengals didn't really go all in on a rebuild.  Not until this year. 

They stuck with AJ Green and gave him $18 million via the franchise tag.  A team doing a real rebuild would have tried to get something for him the year prior.  

They also stuck with Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins.  Same thing.  Should have tried to get something for them the year prior.  

They held out hope (poor strategy) that John Ross and some young players on the offensive line would be good with Burrow.  Wrong again.

This year, it seems, they took another step in FA and they REALLY cleaned out the last of the "old guard".  Some on here said no one liked ZT and they all prefer Marvin.  Maybe that is true on the "old guard" players, but I don't see that on the team overall.  I think this time they really made some key changes and although one could argue that the talent loss was greater than the talent influx, the guys they got fit their scheme.  WJIII was a man corner.  They clearly want guys that are more adept for zone.  They also added a high-motor productive DE to replace the one-year wonder in Lawson.  

I have no idea what kind of player WJIII was in the locker room, but his "parting shots" don't bode well.  Looking at a young stud like Jessie Bates and how Vonn Bell started to adapt to the role the Bengals were asking him to play here shows me that the coaches have an idea of what they want and how they are going to build it.

I am the eternal optimist.  Most of you know that already.  Here are a few of the things that have me so excited about this upcoming season:

Look what Joe Burrow did in his second year at LSU.  

Joe Mixon will be healthy, involved as a receiver more, and likely have a later round RB to push him along with Perine. 

I believe adding Ja'Marr Chase will give the Bengals one of the best WR corps in the NFL and will be the missing piece on the offense.

The offensive line will be massively improved vs. a year ago and will be a top 10 unit in the league.  

The defensive side of the trench will be much better than a year ago with a healthy Reader, depth at DT and DE, and the young LBs take the next step.

Jessie Bates and Vonn Bell in year two together.

My biggest issues are still on the defense.  I like a lot of the moves they have made, but they will need one more FA to help with the pass rush (really hoping it is Kerrigan) or they will likely have to use the 2nd round pick on a DE.  We all know we want that pick for the offensive line, so I am really holding out hope for one more pass rusher to join the fold.  I have my reservations about Anarumo, but when I see the progression of players like Bates and Bell I find at least some optimism.  
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 10:57 AM)jason Wrote: They're finishing last in the division regardless of who they draft. Penei Sewell isn't going to make up for incompetence on the sidelines, and Baltimore and Cleveland are light years ahead of us right now.

While I understand why people would feel this way, I don't think they are "light years" ahead right now.  The Browns stabilized their offensive line and their production took off.  The Bengals are working to do the same thing, and the signing of Reiff was a nice start.  Getting Pollack back will also help.  Just ask Joe Mixon.  

As far as the Ravens go, I am not sure having Lamar Jackson run as much as he has is sustainable.  Their defense was legit, but I think Burrow with an improved line and another couple weapons can put up 30 on any team.  

Perhaps the best thing about this upcoming season is just about everyone will be choosing the Bengals to finish last.  I think that drives people like Burrow:   "I told you....you didn't believe me".  
Reply/Quote

I noticed this as well

We didn’t get beat by a lot too many times. The Ravens embarrassed us and that was the only game I can say we didn’t show up for, even if we lost by than 17 in any game.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 09:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I understand why people would feel this way, I don't think they are "light years" ahead right now.  The Browns stabilized their offensive line and their production took off.  The Bengals are working to do the same thing, and the signing of Reiff was a nice start.  Getting Pollack back will also help.  Just ask Joe Mixon.  

As far as the Ravens go, I am not sure having Lamar Jackson run as much as he has is sustainable.  Their defense was legit, but I think Burrow with an improved line and another couple weapons can put up 30 on any team.  

Perhaps the best thing about this upcoming season is just about everyone will be choosing the Bengals to finish last.  I think that drives people like Burrow:   "I told you....you didn't believe me".  

See i agree that I believe the Bengals are light years away from winning the AFC North.  Cleveland has a defense and an exciting young offense with a 2 headed monster running game and a OL that will pound you.  They have a competent front office (it only took them 20 years to get one) and assembled a good defense.  

The Ravens again not a huge fan of Jackson but the DC in Baltimore could run circles around Lou in his dreams when it comes to scheming and coaching a defense.  

There's still so many holes with this team.  Like last year if we have any injuries and we will have injuries they're screwed especially on the OL and DL, and WR and LB.  

Hopefully, Burrow can make it out of his 2nd season with a fully intact knee.  Doesnt matter if you have Chase or weapons if you dont have time. Also, if Taylor is going to have Burrow throw 50-60 times a game like last season then Burrows other knee doesnt stand a chance. 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 10:42 AM)TJ528 Wrote: See i agree that I believe the Bengals are light years away from winning the AFC North.  Cleveland has a defense and an exciting young offense with a 2 headed monster running game and a OL that will pound you.  They have a competent front office (it only took them 20 years to get one) and assembled a good defense.  

The Ravens again not a huge fan of Jackson but the DC in Baltimore could run circles around Lou in his dreams when it comes to scheming and coaching a defense.  

There's still so many holes with this team.  Like last year if we have any injuries and we will have injuries they're screwed especially on the OL and DL, and WR and LB.  

Hopefully, Burrow can make it out of his 2nd season with a fully intact knee.  Doesnt matter if you have Chase or weapons if you dont have time. Also, if Taylor is going to have Burrow throw 50-60 times a game like last season then Burrows other knee doesnt stand a chance. 

Just trying to give you some optimism:

Others have posted on here that with the addition of average guards (XSF and Spain), the pass protection improved markedly and the Bengals won games with backup QBs.  The defense was largely awful, especially when WJIII was out injured...Sims was easy pickings.  They addressed the CB depth very well in FA and I don't think they are done yet.  I bet they add one more pass rusher.

That being said, I think it really boils down to the offense.  With an aforementioned stabilized line (and Reiff plus a draft pick will take it even further), a weapon like Chase, and Mixon back at full strength, I don't think there is any defense that could stymie the Bengals as we saw teams with depth at CB do last season.  Burrow in year 2 (look at what he did in year 2 at LSU) will have a better line, run game, and WR weapons.  

If you can put 30 on any team, your defense isn't relied upon to completely shut down the opposition just to stay in the game.  I believe that strongly in what Chase, the revised line, Frank Pollack, and a healthy Mixon can do this year.  

I get the skepticism, but remember, even Burrow noted that they had 200 yards passing at halftime against the best defense they saw all season before he was injured.  That was with the awful Jordan at LG, and no Joe Mixon.  They will be lethal this year with Chase, Reiff, a couple more draft picks, and a healthy Mixon.  
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 10:42 AM)TJ528 Wrote: See i agree that I believe the Bengals are light years away from winning the AFC North.  Cleveland has a defense and an exciting young offense with a 2 headed monster running game and a OL that will pound you.  They have a competent front office (it only took them 20 years to get one) and assembled a good defense.  

The same Cleveland team that beat the Bengals the last play of the game in Cinci. and beat them by 5 up at their place with a failed onside kick to get the ball back? Look, games many many times come down to 3-4 plays. Some of those are penalties even. Complete a long 3rd and 10 only to have it called back by a holding and now you're punting from your own 15 instead of continuing a drive. Fumble a catch and run for a 1st down and the opponent returns it 40 yards to setup a 1st and goal and you lose by 7.

Point being is losing causes teams to not play on edge, to not want to be there, to not focus. Finally, you fix a couple real weaknesses and you can be right there. Add in that staying healthy is EVERYTHING in this league. Ravens had below average QB play this past year and had to do everything the last month just to be a WC playoff team.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 10:57 AM)jason Wrote: They're finishing last in the division regardless of who they draft. Penei Sewell isn't going to make up for incompetence on the sidelines, and Baltimore and Cleveland are light years ahead of us right now.

Agreed.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 11:27 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm excited. Zac has had to rebuild this entire team. Our big dogs when he took over Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap, were basically done before he took over. We had covid last year, stupid injuries, 2 DLmen sitting out, Reader hurt, Waynes, Atkins, Hubbard for a while, XSF, Mixon, etc. We were signing DL off the street to fill holes. We had to play Sims because Waynes was out which hurt depth overall. Turner was starting Jordan and Johnson at G and we had Hart at RT. All of that stuff has mostly been addressed, and we got a good OL coach now. 

Getting the right players and most importantly a franchise QB can make an average coach look great. We got our QB, and ZT, if he hasnt done anything else that well, he has brought in players that seem to fit his plan and has been active in FA. And now he is primed for another good draft that is deep at positions of need. With a more normal offseason and a little luck on the injury front, the Bengals may shock some folks this year. We really were in a lot of games last year despite the adversity this team faced. We even beat the Stealers on MNF. 

This is ZT's make or break year. He's done a good job at trying to rebuild and bring in new guys who are good and also good leaders. If we suck again, ZT is gone. But I think we have a good chance to turn some heads. I can see a playoff run or close. 

(03-31-2021, 06:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heck, many great coaches have turned around dead franchises in one season.

The turnaround in Cincy takes longer as the Front Office won't commit to a rebuild.

Lawson, WJIII, Dalton, Green, Eifert, Atkins, Billings, Dunlap etc should have all been flipped for picks if they weren't part of the long term plan. Instead they got a 7th round and maybe a 4th round comp for the lot.

If they'd picked up a couple of seconds and some thirds a year ago this rebuild would be over instead it is stretched out over three drafts.

(04-01-2021, 09:15 AM)bengalfreak Wrote: Really? Where's the talent coming from because it certainly isn't here now? So far they have replaced Bobby Hart with Reily Reiff, which is a great step up, no doubt. But not anywhere close enough to making this OLine even average. I will also point out that the only time Reiff has been asked to play the right side (in Detroit) he struggled. And if they end up with Jamarr Chase in the first round, this team will finish last in the AFCN again. Because any OLinemen they take in rounds two and later won't play well until at least mid season. I think they'll finish last again even if they do get Penei Sewell in the first round. The window for fixing this Oline for the 2021 season has already passed. And, as usual this front office results has been found extremely wanting. 

It's unlikely Sewell will play well in the first half of the season either. He won't have played for 18 months and will be stepping up in standard.

However I don't think it is outrageous to expect the O-line to be better just from not having Redmond (played 42% of the Bengals' offensive snaps last year), Jordan (played 68%), Fred Johnson (played 46%) lining up so much. Injuries do happen but none of those should be first man off the bench at either T or G once the draft is factored in. This is also before any improvement for Reiff in for Hart (or Pollock replacing Turner). I wouldn't be expecting an All-Pro line but with even an only slightly below average line this could be a dangerous offense with Burrow, Mixon, Chase(?), Higgins and Boyd. Before Burrow went down after 9 games this O had scored 30+ points 3 times (and 27 on another) against teams who ended up going to the play-offs. The consistency wasn't there but there were flashes of what this O could become.
Reply/Quote