Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I’m excited for next season...
(04-20-2021, 12:44 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: It's unlikely Sewell will play well in the first half of the season either. He won't have played for 18 months and will be stepping up in standard.

However I don't think it is outrageous to expect the O-line to be better just from not having Redmond (played 42% of the Bengals' offensive snaps last year), Jordan (played 68%), Fred Johnson (played 46%) lining up so much. Injuries do happen but none of those should be first man off the bench at either T or G once the draft is factored in. This is also before any improvement for Reiff in for Hart (or Pollock replacing Turner). I wouldn't be expecting an All-Pro line but with even an only slightly below average line this could be a dangerous offense with Burrow, Mixon, Chase(?), Higgins and Boyd. Before Burrow went down after 9 games this O had scored 30+ points 3 times (and 27 on another) against teams who ended up going to the play-offs. The consistency wasn't there but there were flashes of what this O could become.

Nice post, all true. Your OL is gonna be bad when players like that are consuming that many snaps. Geez.

We get Chase and add a couple solid OL and this Offense could be pretty damn decent with Burrow and company.

Maybe top 5. Have to be able to block though and Sewell helps if he is the pick but I don't expect him to just be All Pro right 
off the bat. Like you said, he wouldn't of played in 18 months and will be a rookie. Chase and some Lineman that played last
season might be the best bet. Actually I bet they would be.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 09:53 AM)Housh Wrote: I noticed this as well

We didn’t get beat by a lot too many times. The Ravens embarrassed us and that was the only game I can say we didn’t show up for, even if we lost by than 17 in any game.

Nobody in this league is light years away from winning a SB let alone a division. It's a game of Darwinism. Gotta stay healthy. Ravens lucky to even make the playoffs a year ago. Why? Covid and injuries. Bengals have more injuries than almost any team in the league and still lose a boat load of games by a few points that come down to THAT fumble or THAT penalty. Steelers look like the steelers thru 8-9 games, winning ugly games but establishing that Steelers toughness. You saw what happen there.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 02:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post, all true. Your OL is gonna be bad when players like that are consuming that many snaps. Geez.

We get Chase and add a couple solid OL and this Offense could be pretty damn decent with Burrow and company.

Maybe top 5. Have to be able to block though and Sewell helps if he is the pick but I don't expect him to just be All Pro right 
off the bat. Like you said, he wouldn't of played in 18 months and will be a rookie. Chase and some Lineman that played last
season might be the best bet. Actually I bet they would be.

Everyone keeps saying add solid Online pieces after we take Chase while also saying Sewell will struggle early on or won't make an impact year one.

If the best OL player in the draft isn't doing to make an impact why would you think a 2nd or 3rd rounder would???

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 03:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Everyone keeps saying add solid Online pieces after we take Chase while also saying Sewell will struggle early on or won't make an impact year one.

If the best OL player in the draft isn't doing to make an impact why would you think a 2nd or 3rd rounder would???

I didn't say Sewell wouldn't make an impact, where did I say that? I said I don't expect him to be All Pro right off the bat.

Helps if you played last season no?
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I didn't say Sewell wouldn't make an impact, where did I say that? I said I don't expect him to be All Pro right off the bat.

Helps if you played last season no?

I didn't mean you specifically, just happened to be the last person that was talking about the layoff impacting Sewell while also seeming to think the layoff wouldn't impact Chase the exact same way.

It's like the people that are all "don't draft Sewell he didn't face good competition" but then those same people are screaming, "trade up to get Vera Tucker" who played in the same conference against the same level of competition.

It's just so entertaining, yet also maddening to see people use lame excuses to discount one guy because they prefer the other, then literally negate their own argument in another post.

Hell, I remember getting yelled at by all types of fans on here when I was among the small group that said, you don't lose out, it wouldn't be in our best interest to lose out.... and I was told I didn't know what I was talking about and blah, blah, blah, got to get Sewell..

Well now the same group that was wanting to lose out for Sewell... more then half of them don't want Sewell and want Chase. It is beyond craziness around here.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 03:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Everyone keeps saying add solid Online pieces after we take Chase while also saying Sewell will struggle early on or won't make an impact year one.

Sewell won't have played for 18 months. He'll probably be changing sides and probably positions as well. He will invariably have struggles. What makes him an enticing prospect is that he's young. But that also means he's not as ready, as experienced as some other prospects.

A second or third rounder who has been playing regularly for the last 3 years (and potentially against better competition) may have a lower ceiling than Sewell but may be more NFL ready and may make more of an immediate impact in 2021 even if Sewell goes onto have a far better career.
Reply/Quote

You're correct. That logic doesn't make sense.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 08:22 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Sewell won't have played for 18 months. He'll probably be changing sides and probably positions as well. He will invariably have struggles. What makes him an enticing prospect is that he's young. But that also means he's not as ready, as experienced as some other prospects.

A second or third rounder who has been playing regularly for the last 3 years (and potentially against better competition) may have a lower ceiling than Sewell but may be more NFL ready and may make more of an immediate impact in 2021 even if Sewell goes onto have a far better career.

Chase hasn't played for 18 months either.

He will struggle early as well getting back into form and playing stronger and faster competition. 

To assume Sewell will struggle and Chase won't is asinine.

And the struggle will be real for a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder as well as they play against better competition then ever before. The best college team would still get killed by the worst NFL team. Guys are bigger, stronger and faster.

Also, Leatherwood, Eichenberg, Cosmi, Carman, Radunz, the list goes on... they all will be changing side or position as well, so again... this logic is flawed for not drafting Sewell.

It actually makes it more important to draft the most athletic guy with the highest ceiling over a 2nd or 3rd rounder who has flaws and less athletic ability. That athleticism will make the position move easier. Meanwhile a 2nd round WR just has to adjust to the game the same as the 1st round guy without a position change.

Reply/Quote
If we're making a first round choice based primarily on immediate impact, I think that's wrong from the word go.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 09:07 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: If we're making a first round choice based primarily on immediate impact, I think that's wrong from the word go.

Huh? This team is so bad, the first round pick NEEDS to make an immediate impact. This team is SO bad, that all 3 of Sewell, Chase and Pitts make an immediate impact. Maybe I’m misinterpreting what you meant by what you wrote....
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 09:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Huh? This team is so bad, the first round pick NEEDS to make an immediate impact. This team is SO bad, that all 3 of Sewell, Chase and Pitts make an immediate impact. Maybe I’m misinterpreting what you meant by what you wrote....

I would assert that if the team is as bad as you suggest, then immediate impact is moot. Any of the three could arrive, be immediately impactful, and the team... would still be bad. Only one position group bears much promise to completely change the complexion of a team in one move, and we drafted there first overall a year ago.

Bad teams that wish to become good teams that last are probably as concerned with 2022 onward as they are with 2021 upon making their first round selection. Immediate impact is desirable and good, but it’s not the most important thing (at least not to me). I want someone that grinds out a quality Bengals career, and if a slow start is a part of that journey then so be it.

And sometimes the best spoils go to those who are most patient. Immediate impact isn’t necessarily synonymous with long-term Super Bowl value added. This is why I just don’t care that Chase and Sewell skipped the 2020 season. It’s not important to me. If it slows their development a bit on the way to a great career, then so be it. Between the two I think that’d probably hit Sewell harder for [potentially] playing out of position and getting into the brute physique of an NFL lineman. That doesn’t make me like him significantly less.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 10:14 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I would assert that if the team is as bad as you suggest, then immediate impact is moot. Any of the three could arrive, be immediately impactful, and the team... would still be bad. Only one position group bears much promise to completely change the complexion of a team in one move, and we drafted there first overall a year ago.

Bad teams that wish to become good teams that last are probably as concerned with 2022 onward as they are with 2021 upon making their first round selection. Immediate impact is desirable and good, but it’s not the most important thing (at least not to me). I want someone that grinds out a quality Bengals career, and if a slow start is a part of that journey then so be it.

And sometimes the best spoils go to those who are most patient. Immediate impact isn’t necessarily synonymous with long-term Super Bowl value added. This is why I just don’t care that Chase and Sewell skipped the 2020 season. It’s not important to me. If it slows their development a bit on the way to a great career, then so be it. Between the two I think that’d probably hit Sewell harder for [potentially] playing out of position and getting into the brute physique of an NFL lineman. That doesn’t make me like him significantly less.

That is exactly what is going to be the case.

This team isn't going to be vastly better this season based on this draft. This is still a 6 maybe 7 win team, especially with the schedule they are playing.

It's another reason why I'm all in on fix the damn line and stop worrying about the toys. I'd rather see the young linemen this draft (Sewell in 1st, Meinerz in the 3rd or Ben Cleveland), let them spend the season getting up to speed on the NFL so that in 2022 you have something in front of Burrow. Then go take George Pickens from Georgia in 2022 if your 2nd round WR doesn't blow you away and you have something.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 09:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Huh? This team is so bad, the first round pick NEEDS to make an immediate impact. This team is SO bad, that all 3 of Sewell, Chase and Pitts make an immediate impact. Maybe I’m misinterpreting what you meant by what you wrote....

I don't think they are so bad at all. I think they are a small handful of players and a coach growing into the position away from being dominant.

Over the last 2 seasons, the Bengals have held the lead in of 24 out of 32 games played. They aren't getting just rolled on. They need playmakers and tweaks. 1 or two plays a game last season and at the half way mark they are 7-1 or 6-2. The plays were there to be made and the players just didn't make them. Chargers game, Browns game, Colts game, Redskins game, Eagles game. and on and on. And that was during the hardest part of the Bengals schedule.

I'm actually very optimistic about this season and moving forward. 1/4th of the offseason is done (opening of FA period) and I like what they are doing. Draft, back half of FA period, & camps. They only need to get better in 2 or 3 key spots and that's it. 1 or 2 WR, 1 or 2 OL, 1 DL.... and I would LOVE a big time kicker.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 11:40 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That is exactly what is going to be the case.

This team isn't going to be vastly better this season based on this draft. This is still a 6 maybe 7 win team, especially with the schedule they are playing.

It's another reason why I'm all in on fix the damn line and stop worrying about the toys. I'd rather see the young linemen this draft (Sewell in 1st, Meinerz in the 3rd or Ben Cleveland), let them spend the season getting up to speed on the NFL so that in 2022 you have something in front of Burrow. Then go take George Pickens from Georgia in 2022 if your 2nd round WR doesn't blow you away and you have something.

Who from the "Very Winnable" list is just outright better than a healthy Bengals team? I think the Bengals can win now and, as a very young team, grow and get much much better as the season goes.

TOUGH

Ravens x2
Cheifs
Browns x2
Packers

VERY WINABLE

Steelers x2
Vikings
Chargers
49ers
Jags
Bears
Jets
Raiders
Broncos
Lions
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 03:19 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I don't think they are so bad at all. I think they are a small handful of players and a coach growing into the position away from being dominant.

Over the last 2 seasons, the Bengals have held the lead in of 24 out of 32 games played. They aren't getting just rolled on. They need playmakers and tweaks. 1 or two plays a game last season and at the half way mark they are 7-1 or 6-2. The plays were there to be made and the players just didn't make them. Chargers game, Browns game, Colts game, Redskins game, Eagles game. and on and on. And that was during the hardest part of the Bengals schedule.

I'm actually very optimistic about this season and moving forward. 1/4th of the offseason is done (opening of FA period) and I like what they are doing. Draft, back half of FA period, & camps. They only need to get better in 2 or 3 key spots and that's it. 1 or 2 WR, 1 or 2 OL, 1 DL.... and I would LOVE a big time kicker.

I’m optimistic as well, but it’s hard to argue this team isn’t bad with only 6 wins in two seasons. Things turn around quickly, I have hope, but results are results and so far it’s been bad.

They key is defense honestly. Yes we want to protect Burrow and yes we want to get explosive on offense but an average defense would net 4-6 more wins imo. As you said, leading games, but finding ways to lose. It’s the defense in nearly every case.
Reply/Quote
Even if you ignore the absurd approach that they seem to be taking with the OL and that it'll somehow fix itself, they lack depth across the board. It's a house of cards at best. Just one injury will put this team in crisis mode- and we know we'll have far more than one. Four or five big ones should be the expectation imo.

There's still the draft, second half of FA and training camp cuts to fortify the position groups, but I can't remember the last time the roster has felt this bare this late into April. I'm just hoping that they have a few dominoes ready to be toppled (Turner, Schwartz, Stills, Ingram, Hurst, Richardson, Wright, etc.) once the draft is done.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 04:03 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’m optimistic as well, but it’s hard to argue this team isn’t bad with only 6 wins in two seasons. Things turn around quickly, I have hope, but results are results and so far it’s been bad.

They key is defense honestly. Yes we want to protect Burrow and yes we want to get explosive on offense but an average defense would net 4-6 more wins imo. As you said, leading games, but finding ways to lose. It’s the defense in nearly every case.

I kind of look at it like this: Get ONE unit elite and then work on the other two. The offense is really close, I would spend resources getting that built way way up there. And, honestly, they put in work on the defense. I think the defense, with one impact draft pick at an edge or DT spot, can really make some noise. 
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 04:57 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I kind of look at it like this: Get ONE unit elite and then work on the other two. The offense is really close, I would spend resources getting that built way way up there. And, honestly, they put in work on the defense. I think the defense, with one impact draft pick at an edge or DT spot, can really make some noise. 

Generally agreed. Give me a top 7ish offense and for now I don't care where the defense lands. If they're terrible the Bengals can still become the Manning-era Colts, and that ought to equate to consistent winning. Build the defense when we have a team already. The free agency pile really ought to be enough for them anyway, or it'd be a severe indictment on Anarumo.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 05:01 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Generally agreed. Give me a top 7ish offense and for now I don't care where the defense lands. If they're terrible the Bengals can still become the Manning-era Colts, and that ought to equate to consistent winning. Build the defense when we have a team already. The free agency pile really ought to be enough for them anyway, or it'd be a severe indictment on Anarumo.

I think what we will find with the free agent haul on defense is that Anaruno is indeed over his head. Hopefully things come together soon.

I have to assume you’re team Sewell then correct? I think what you’ve laid out here leans heavily on keeping Burrow upright. I like the high powered offense idea, but do feel the league constantly reminds us that defense wins championships.

Hopefully we can replicate what the Bills have done with their roster... a team who scored enough points to mask a lackluster D.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 12:29 PM)milksheikh Wrote: The draft hasn’t happened yet, but I can definitely say I’m super excited for next season. We were in SO MANY close games last season where when I look back on the games, we could’ve won a lot of the games we lost. I think we’re on the right track and if we figure out how to finish games and protect Burrow, there’s no doubt in my mind we can be a playoff team this upcoming season.

In our 11 losses, 5 of them were less than a touchdown deficit.

If we can draft some o-linemen and get Burrow another weapon this draft while stacking up on more talent on the d-line... I think we’re primed to have a great season. I’m just trying to be optimistic.

I get excited every year and before every game
Reply/Quote