Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I Give Coach Lewis Credit For 7 Play-Off Seasons.
Shula, Colslett, Lebeau combined for zero play-offs. So Coach Lewis 7 Play-Off Seasons was an improvement. Coach Gregg had been only Bengals Coach to have 2 straight Play-Off Seasons. Coach Lewis made it 5 in a row and 6 in 7 years. I also feel after 3 losing seasons it is time for Coach Lewis to go. Had he stayed, he is talking retiring soon anyway. Time to change. Still, I give credit to Coach Lewis winning more than Shula, Coslett, Lebeau and I'll throw in Tiger Johnson and Homer Rice. New Years Eve, so out with the old, in with the new, but hoping not in with the hue.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Making the playoffs 7 times and not winning atleast 1 seems inconceivable. You are essentially giving him a participation trophy with this thread.

Other teams make the playoffs and manage to win. Most teams have won 5+ since we last won one.
Reply/Quote
Eh. Feels like he got credit and then bankrupted it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:10 PM)kevin Wrote: Shula, Colslett, Lebeau combined for zero play-offs.  So Coach Lewis 7 Play-Off Seasons was an improvement. Coach Gregg had been only Bengals Coach to have 2 straight Play-Off Seasons. Coach Lewis made it 5 in a row and 6 in 7 years.  I also feel after 3 losing seasons it is time for Coach Lewis to go.  Had he stayed, he is talking retiring soon anyway.  Time to change.  Still, I give credit to Coach Lewis winning more than Shula, Coslett, Lebeau and I'll throw in Tiger Johnson and Homer Rice.   New Years Eve, so out with the old, in with the new, but hoping not in with the hue.

Marv was good at putting talented teams together and he was a decent regular season coach.

I will give him credit for that.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:49 PM)McC Wrote: Eh.  Feels like he got credit and then bankrupted it.

I think that's a good way to put it.

Now had he left after 2013 or 2014...maybe he goes down as a Bengals legend. He just overstayed his time way too long.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You have me confused for someone else. I wouldn't call someone out for saying the season needs to end.

All I'm saying is that yes making the playoffs 7 times is good. But, it's nearly impossible to not manage to win 1 of those games. It's inconceivable. That's his legacy. He took us from the 90's which were horrible and atleast made us decent. But he failed at winning a single playoff game.

You can't really blame MB for that either as he had a good enough roster to make the playoffs.

My error.  That was others who blasted me yesterday for posting Bungles season finally coming to an end.  One guy posted several times saying I was trying to win Negative Poster Award.  So today on posting a nice farewell to Coach Lewis, I thought you were that same person, only now saying I'm too positive.  It wasn't you both times, my apology on that mistake.  So I'm glad that season over.  I've been a fan since 1968, so I lived through 1990's Bungles. Last 3 years have been pretty Bungle.  So the 5 straight play-off seasons were a franchise record. I know there were no play-off wins, but in saying Good Bye to Coach Lewis, I do give him credit for the play-off seasons.  2011 may have been his best coaching considering nobody expected play-offs with Carson and Chad gone. 

So Marvin gone. Reds and Bengals will have new Manager/ Head Coach and new players. As a long time Cincy Fan from 1960's, I hope both teams start moving from Last Place to First Place. These were needed coaching changes, both teams need changes. Go Bengals. Go Reds.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 07:45 PM)kevin Wrote: My error.  That was others who blasted me yesterday for posting Bungles season finally coming to and end.  One guy posted several times saying I was trying to win Negative Poster Award.  So today on posting a nice farewell to Coach Lewis, I thought you were that same person, only now saying I'm too positive.  It wasn't you both times, my apology on that mistake.  So I'm glad that season over.  I've been a fan since 1968, so I lived through 1990's Bungles. Last 3 years have been pretty Bungle.  So the 5 straight play-off seasons were a franchise record. I know there were no play-off wins, but in saying Good Bye to Coach Lewis, I do give him credit for the play-off seasons.  2011 may have been his best coaching considering nobody expected play-offs with Carson and Chad gone. 

No problem. He has a complicated legacy.

He came in where other coaches...some HOF like Lebeau failed and had atleast some success. I just don't think the 0-7 in the playoffs can be overlooked. He got there, but he never won 1. By accident, you'd think he'd win one.

We as Bengals fans look at Playoff wins like some white whale that takes all these forces to align. In reality most teams have won 5+ since we last won a single one.
Reply/Quote
I give Marvin Lewis credit for helping turn this franchise around and getting us back to the playoffs in 05. But he should have left in 08 or 10. Everything after that has been pain and misery, in the end.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin gave us the stability we needed to get over the hump. He had an inside look at how to put together a good team and he brought a lot of that here. He drafted QBs better than any of our coaches in a long time. Really he drafted 2 QBs and both ended up good QBs. Without that he may have been fired already. I commend him for leaving here with a winning record. 15 years of winning more than losing is pretty good.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 08:04 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Marvin gave us the stability we needed to get over the hump. He had an inside look at how to put together a good team and he brought a lot of that here. He drafted QBs better than any of our coaches in a long time. Really he drafted 2 QBs and both ended up good QBs. Without that he may have been fired already. I commend him for leaving here with a winning record. 15 years of winning more than losing is pretty good.

131-129-3

Lets build a statue.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 131-129-3

Lets build a statue.

We can have him holding up two fingers in the V for the two wins over Pittsburgh at home.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
Thanks Marvin. Bye.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:14 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Thanks Marvin. Bye.

That sounds a little

[Image: 3049733-inline-tumblrnmwvl1ymrp1qdqyxho1500.gif]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:14 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Thanks Marvin. Bye.

Bye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQql-ZbZmg
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:21 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: That sounds a little

[Image: 3049733-inline-tumblrnmwvl1ymrp1qdqyxho1500.gif]

My response was much cleaner then My first idea. The first idea was from “2 live crew” get out my house. But I know better. LOL

Reply/Quote
im grateful for Lewis taking the franchise from league laughing stock under 3 coaches and at least making them relevant
in a very difficult division with the Ravens and Steelers.
going 8 and 8 in his 1st season,everyone forgets how difficult that was. the Bengals were the Browns before the Browns.
Lewis didnt have a owner who was willing to overspend for FAs.
thats why in the draft they had to draft the Thurmans and Henrys
cause Brown was unwilling to acquire game changing talent in FA.
Browns frugrality simply limited Lewis building quality depth.
I appreciated what he accomplished here.
now it time to.take the next step with a new coach.
being a force in the playoffs
Reply/Quote
Marvin & Co. put together some pretty fun teams to watch over the years. They've also put together teams that literally make me sick to my stomach to watch. Here is to a new coach and a new year.
Reply/Quote
We did win the AFC North under him a few times and we played really well against the Ravens and Browns.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for dragging the Bengals out of the 90's and making the team somewhat respectable. The Bengals have changed a lot since he arrived but its time to move on. Good luck in the future Marvin.
Reply/Quote
I have a sad feeling we're going to really miss Marvin for awhile. It's not in the Brown family DNA to move upward..they move sideways at best and usually downward . Perhaps things will be different, but I ain't exactly overwhelmed with the possibilities.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote