Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Have Seen the Future
Unfortunately, Bengaldom, we'll have to wait one more year to be done with Marvin Lewis.  He's signed through 2017 and Bengal coach contracts are unfortunately set in stone, somewhat like the Ten Commandments.  Here's the problem: I see the Bengals making a serious improvement in 2017 and Marvin, as a result, will be extended again.  The only way to get a new head coach is for the Bengals to tank again in 2017 -- and Marvin's teams have never had two bad seasons in a row.

Look, I love Marvin Lewis for what he brought to our community and for restoring the Bengals to a consistent regular-season winner and playoff contender.  I'll never forget the 1990s and how Marvin gave the Bengals new hope and real change.  However, I think it's time to move on either with Marvin in the Front Office or, well, gone completely.  He's like Tom Hagen, the adopted Corleone brother in The Godfather who, although a great lawyer, is not a proper wartime consiglieri because he's not Sicilian.  Or, if you're an Old Testament fan, you might liken Marvin to Moses who got the Israelites to the promised land but not into it.  That took a different leader:  Joshua.

I'm not that old but I remember Paul Brown, Bob Howsam, Forrest Gregg, Sam Wyche, Sparky Anderson, Lou Piniella, and even Marge Schott.  Teams from Cincinnati were expected to win!  We showed up to watch The Big Red Machine and the Ohio River Offense maul opponents and make runs through the playoffs.  Cincinnati was the sports town to live in and that's what I want again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Understood, Paisan. Seems that the best we can hope for is for Marvin to step down, on his own accord.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm right there with ya,

It's time to take the next step. This team badly needs a change, a new direction, a new leader. The excuses, the at least he's getting us to the playoffs narrative, the we could go back to the 90's, etc. Is wore plumb out !

The core good players on this team deserve more, we deserve more, Cincinnati deserves more.

I'm praying MB promotes him or he decides enough is enough and resigns. Because we all know he will not be fired.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 08:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Unfortunately, Bengaldom, we'll have to wait one more year to be done with Marvin Lewis.  He's signed through 2017 and Bengal coach contracts are unfortunately set in stone, somewhat like the Ten Commandments.  Here's the problem: I see the Bengals making a serious improvement in 2017 and Marvin, as a result, will be extended again.  The only way to get a new head coach is for the Bengals to tank again in 2017 -- and Marvin's teams have never had two bad seasons in a row.

Look, I love Marvin Lewis for what he brought to our community and for restoring the Bengals to a consistent regular-season winner and playoff contender.  I'll never forget the 1990s and how Marvin gave the Bengals new hope and real change.  However, I think it's time to move on either with Marvin in the Front Office or, well, gone completely.  He's like Tom Hagen, the adopted Corleone brother in The Godfather who, although a great lawyer, is not a proper wartime consiglieri because he's not Sicilian.  Or, if you're an Old Testament fan, you might liken Marvin to Moses who got the Israelites to the promised land but not into it.  That took a different leader:  Joshua.

I'm not that old but I remember Paul Brown, Bob Howsam, Forrest Gregg, Sam Wyche, Sparky Anderson, Lou Piniella, and even Marge Schott.  Teams from Cincinnati were expected to win!  We showed up to watch The Big Red Machine and the Ohio River Offense maul opponents and make runs through the playoffs.  Cincinnati was the sports town to live in and that's what I want again.

Love the moses reference. Sounds dead on! And since we are speaking biblical, this team needs a miracle.

Reply/Quote
What Cincinnati needs to do is make Marvin WANT to leave. Now I'm not suggesting dumping trash on his lawn, but anytime he goes out he should hear the wrath of the fans....
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 09:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: What Cincinnati needs to do is make Marvin WANT to leave. Now I'm not suggesting dumping trash on his lawn, but anytime he goes out he should hear the wrath of the fans....

From what I've heard and his reaction when talking to the media, I don't think he'd care too much if fans lined up for six blocks just to tell him how frustrated/disappointed they are. He'd just shrug it off because, in his mind, they don't understand.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 08:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Unfortunately, Bengaldom, we'll have to wait one more year to be done with Marvin Lewis.  He's signed through 2017 and Bengal coach contracts are unfortunately set in stone, somewhat like the Ten Commandments.  Here's the problem: I see the Bengals making a serious improvement in 2017 and Marvin, as a result, will be extended again.  The only way to get a new head coach is for the Bengals to tank again in 2017 -- and Marvin's teams have never had two bad seasons in a row.

2006: 8-8
2007: 7-9
2008: 4-11-1
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 05:13 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: 2006: 8-8
2007: 7-9
2008: 4-11-1

I was using the Front Office definition of "bad season." Hilarious
Reply/Quote