Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Might Be Part of History!
(04-19-2017, 01:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was just talking to a friend and she said that some studies let you pay to make sure that you're not the placebo, so, if that's an option in this study, I need to find a way to make it happen!

She said it costs tens of thousands of dollars, but, with the kind of support I have in the community, it would be EASY to find!

Keep your fingers crossed for me please!

I am no expert, but I believe that if you know whether or not you have the placebo then the study is not valid.

In fact, even if the doctors know then it is not valid.

It has to be "double blind".
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 03:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am no expert, but I believe that if you know whether or not you have the placebo then the study is not valid.

Funny, in the first sentence, you admit that you are no expert and use the words "I believe," but then in the second sentence you're able to make a definite statement of "even if the doctors know then it is not valid."

I'll trust the experts and the knowledge from someone whose mother actually paid money to avoid being the placebo, as is the case with the person I talked to.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 03:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am no expert, but I believe that if you know whether or not you have the placebo then the study is not valid.

It doesn't. There are single blind and open label studies as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Brad my fingers are crossed, and hope you remember the ignore function to avoid being baited.
At times folk we have issues with just annoy us even while attempting to be helpful. They get on that last nerve and apply pressure on "that button" without trying. We are all human and thusly fallible.Crossing toes too now. On ward and upward brother .
Reply/Quote

I'm a little limited on time today to pursue this in depth, but I found that the use of placebos in general are ethically-challenged by some in the scientific community, let alone having an option to 'buy your way out' of taking one. Consider the info contained within this article (http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic205128.files/NEJM_--_The_Continuing_Unethical_Use_of_Placebo_Controls.pdf ), then maybe Google some more for additional info on the topic.

I'll follow up on this when I can, but I currently feel any study that allows you to skew the results by paying serious money to opt out isn't a study that I'd be interested in being a participant.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote

Furthermore, if the doctors didn't know, then how could they observe which one was different?  
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 11:59 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Furthermore, if the doctors didn't know, then how could they observe which one was different?  

The people who interact with the subjects don't know, the top level people do know.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 11:59 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Furthermore, if the doctors didn't know, then how could they observe which one was different?  

The double-blind study is to ensure the most unbiased results. Patients/subjects are treated and the results are recorded as to how they react to a dosage or treatment. 

Humans are humans. They don't want a tester getting closer to one subject over another and allowing that to effect their judgement. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I am usually one of those people who talk about how humans in general, and specifically doctors act like they know more than they really do. The truth is we have no idea how to create life or fix most of the things that afflict and/or kill us.

But this stem cell research is fascinating. Especially with the new breakthroughs in genetic modification. We still don't know how to create life, but we are getting better at manipulating it. We can grow a human ear on the back of a mouse. We can grow new heart valves on mesh forms.

I don't know if this study will help Brad, but he is still very young. If he lives a normal life then I think he will see people with his type of injuries being cured. I may not care much for Brad, but he does not deserve to be handiocapped the way he is. I hope this study helps him.
Reply/Quote