Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Spoke With a Christian Terrorist Threatening Atheists in Tennessee
(06-25-2017, 06:05 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: The constant need for the uninformed to compare Christianity and Islam gets old. They're both fundamentally different with one having a higher propensity to violent ****** Guess which one?

Right up there at the top of the most ridiculously stupid liberal created memes was this masterpiece.
It was met with responses explaining the difference.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
(06-25-2017, 06:05 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: The constant need for the uninformed to compare Christianity and Islam gets old. They're both fundamentally different with one having a higher propensity to violent ****** Guess which one?

The Bible is a vast book filled with contradictions. The Quran is much more streamlined and much more clear in its message. You can't find a clear and concise message in the Bible to kill non believers and to kill in the name of Christianity, but you can in Quran several times over. Both religions revere their prophets and seek to live by their example, and jesus and Muhammad lead lead vastly different lives. Muhammad wasn't some hippie who got nailed to a cross whilst his followers got prosecuted when they tried to speard his word. He, along with his followers,were conquering warlords. His life is comparable to conquerors like Alexander the Great and genghis khan. The problem with christians are that they fail to lead by Jesus' example, but tons of muslims do a halfway decent job of following Muhammads

Shit, in the Bible you can find a rationale to ignore all the bad parts through the example of Jesus and the New Testament. There's nothing like that in the Quran and Hadith. Nothing.

And I haven't even mentioned how each religion handles detractors. My family still loves me after coming out an atheist. If you're in a devout Muslim family? Good luck with that.

Christians seem to manage ridicule towards them just fine in the media. Now,
Google Charlie Hebdo and tell me what happend after they poked fun at Islam.

It's a ******** comparison at best. At worst, it's a red herring to deflect any criticism (valid or invalid) of Islam.

People practicing Christianity are relatively peaceful... if you don't go any further than the last 30ish years.

People have been committing violent acts and forced conversions in the name of Christ for nearly 2000 years. They still do, just not as openly. People do bad things in the name of good. That's just bad people, regardless of their religion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-25-2017, 11:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: Nah, she just made threats.

Harmless old woman.

And if she does get violent she'll just be an isolated nut case not reflective the religion she is professing to defend.   Mellow

Those Arabs were evil when they were born.

Ninja

Ha ha...and what meme did you get that from?
(06-26-2017, 12:10 AM)Benton Wrote: People practicing Christianity are relatively peaceful... if you don't go any further than the last 30ish years.

So around 1987ish Christians stopped behaving like Muslims?

I see.
(06-26-2017, 12:19 AM)Vlad Wrote: So around 1987ish Christians stopped behaving like Muslims?

I see.

They so desperately want to prop up Islam and trash Christianity they can't even get themselves straight . lol

It would be so much easier to just admit that the world has an Islam problem and the good ones need to step up with a reformation.
(06-26-2017, 12:12 AM)Vlad Wrote: Ha ha...and what meme did you get that from?

It's called thinking.  Try it.  But don't hurt yourself.  ThumbsUp

(06-26-2017, 01:23 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They so desperately want to prop up Islam and trash Christianity they can't even get themselves straight . lol

It would be so much easier to just admit that the world has an Islam problem and the good ones need to step up with a reformation.

Why are we talking about Muslims in this thread?  this is a story about a crazy old woman who has threatened violence against a group because she doesn't beleive in evolution.

Nothing is mentioned about other faiths or how this applies to other situations.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-24-2017, 02:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well *I* didn't...the author did.   Smirk

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2017/06/23/i-spoke-with-a-christian-terrorist-threatening-atheists-in-tennessee/

By the way, by Fox standards, Bryant would be a "far leftist."  I actually respect the guy a lot more than I do Darrow.

If I had the chance to participate in Ms. Griffin's debate, I would ask her how she felt about the corporate domination of US politics and Trumpcare.

PS hey non-prophet Dino,
(06-26-2017, 10:47 AM)Dill Wrote: PS hey non-prophet Dino,

No doubt!  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-26-2017, 10:53 AM)GMDino Wrote: No doubt!  Smirk

ha ha, forgot to finish my sentence. 
(06-26-2017, 12:19 AM)Vlad Wrote: So around 1987ish Christians stopped behaving like Muslims?

I see.

I share your skepticism.

Benton is pushing the time frame too far back.  Also, he is ignoring the double standard which is central to Islamophobia. Once that is in place, Islam was always bad and you don't need time frames.
(06-26-2017, 12:10 AM)Benton Wrote: People practicing Christianity are relatively peaceful... if you don't go any further than the last 30ish years.

People have been committing violent acts and forced conversions in the name of Christ for nearly 2000 years. They still do, just not as openly. People do bad things in the name of good. That's just bad people, regardless of their religion.

If you're going to expand my comparison's scope to include timeframe, then it's only fair if you do the same for Islam.

Islam has a similar, if not worst past despite Christianity being a few centuries older. It's rife with subjugation of other people/genocide too.
(06-25-2017, 09:27 PM)Dill Wrote: Well it is good that we have someone in the forum who is informed about both the Qu'ran and Hadith as well as the Bible.

Seems to me like each religion-of-the-book handles detractors in a wide variety of ways. I know some Muslims who have become atheists and they are still tight with their families. Is it possible that some atheists who come from devout Christian families are no longer welcome in those families?

One thing that has always puzzled me about religions of the book is how their believers pick and choose among their religious texts. I see you have noticed this too. Christians who like authoritarian social regulation, like the above-mentioned Ms. Griffin, for example, often turn to the Old Testament for justification when the Sermon on the Mount blocks them from some desired oppression. They are fine with "the bad parts," even the ethnic cleansing; but there are definitely Christians who aren't fine with them. They are not even fine with "bad parts" of the New Testament.

On the other hand, I have to wonder why so many Muslims ignore the "bad parts" of the Qu'ran, given their role model was a "conquering warlord" as you put it, and there are so many concise messages urging them to kill non-believers.

Include the way these different religions have behaved over the last thousand years and you could get the impression that what religious texts say depends as much upon who reads them and how they are read as much as what is actually in them. In fact, just looking at the words of a text seems not a very good predictor of how people will interpret and act upon those words.  I find myself constantly looking to other social and historical factors to explain the wide range of variations.

I have raised this problem with fundamentalists of two of the three religions at various times, and they do the opposite. They just look at what the text says and assume they are reading without interpreting. Or they have fixed hermenutic method, which they don't seem to think is a method (e.g., Biblical typology). For them, the text is unchanged so the message is unchanged.  That is why whenever they argue, they are always citing lines and verses and scoffing at hermenuetic/linguistic/historical questions/problems.  Why do fundamentalists of all three religions so often disagree with their fellow fundamentalists then, one wonders, if they are all seeing what's just there on the page? I am not a fundamentalist, but if I were, I imagine I would solve the problem quickly by recognizing Satan's snare and affirming my deep and unchangeable belief in with the text says.

Didn't see this well thought out response until now. One paragraph/bolded point at a time here. I go from the top down. I don't address the last boded point because I feel like I addressed that in my 2nd paragraph.

But yeah, I developed an interest in understanding 3 big religions at a young age. I wanted to understand what I didn't like and could never buy into growing up. Personal research + an infatuation with Christopher Hitchens is to blame there.

It's possible, at least in the west anyway. I don't know if you could say the same about say, an atheist and Saudi Arabia but my gut says no. Could be wrong.

When the foundation of your beliefs is rife with inconsistencies, you have to nitpick what and what not to believe/say. Instead of sitting down and say "Hey, if X belief has X many inconsistencies, I need to reevaluate why I have these beliefs at all", religious people say "everything is okay, because mai faith".

Depends on what you mean by ignore. Sure, the vast majority of Muslims aren't charismatic mid-life crisis aged men trying to take over the world. But a good many of them are sympathetic to those that are and the beliefs/interpretations driving them.

There's nothing wrong with looking other variables that could cause bad actions that appear, at first glance, to be motivated by religion.  Just as long as you scrutinize them and any casual link thoroughly. First example that comes to mind are those that say that economic/geopolitical factors are more to blame. I checked out a dozen or so middle eastern muslim majority nations and pulled up with GDP figures I could find. There doesn't seem to be any link between Islamic extremism, abhorrent islamic practices/laws, and poor economies. Further, we can find plenty of cases of religous buttholery in the west. It's really one of those things that people intuitively believe to true but it isn't.

The problem I have with that is that we could say that about any text, religious or not.  Sure, there's a subjective interpretation to religious text. That doesn't negate the fact that (A), some interpretations could be dead wrong; and (B), there isn't any core takeaway we can get from them.

It's gets even worse with Islam from what i've seen, at least when discussing its text and history. I've seen/spoken to several Muslims at my university (some of them in prominent administrative positions that try to whitewash history and spread ignorance. I remember there was a Muslim student on campus running a "ask a Muslim" stand in the student center. He was talking to a friend of mine in the free-thinkers and inquirers' group about Islamic conquest and history. As I walked by, I overheard him claim that  actions taken against non-muslims, by muslims, were "defensive". I chimed in with a "I know right, those god damned Armenians really had it coming. Those assholes. He then stared at me for a couple of seconds and proceeded to change the subject.

You then get prominent figures like good Ol' Cenek, everyone's favorite buffalo doing things like.....

1.Claiming that the Ottoman Empire was pleasant to their minorities (lol, they only treated them as 2nd class citizens.)
2. Having a history of blatantly denying the Armenian genocide.
3. Naming his prominent news organization The Young Turks. He knew who the Young Turks were well before we started his medium, as evidenced by this 1991 article he wrote  http://dparchives.library.upenn.edu/cgi-bin/pennsylvania?a=d&d=tdp19911122-01.2.24
4. And worse of all, him, along with other grassroots progressives, have a strange habit of white-knighting for Islam, even going  as far as to brand "new atheists" as closet racists http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/new-atheism-anti-muslim-white-supremacy-movement-426032443

Because yeah, let's work for marginalized groups....by going after atheists: the most marginalized voice out there. Whatever dude. /Endrant.
(07-22-2017, 12:00 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: When the foundation of your beliefs is rife with inconsistencies, you have to nitpick what and what not to believe/say. Instead of sitting down and say "Hey, if X belief has X many inconsistencies, I need to reevaluate why I have these beliefs at all", religious people say "everything is okay, because mai faith".

Depends on what you mean by ignore. Sure, the vast majority of Muslims aren't charismatic mid-life crisis aged men trying to take over the world. But a good many of them are sympathetic to those that are and the beliefs/interpretations driving them.

There's nothing wrong with looking other variables that could cause bad actions that appear, at first glance, to be motivated by religion.  Just as long as you scrutinize them and any casual link thoroughly. First example that comes to mind are those that say that economic/geopolitical factors are more to blame. I checked out a dozen or so middle eastern muslim majority nations and pulled up with GDP figures I could find. There doesn't seem to be any link between Islamic extremism, abhorrent islamic practices/laws, and poor economies. Further, we can find plenty of cases of religous buttholery in the west. It's really one of those things that people intuitively believe to true but it isn't.

The problem I have with that is that we could say that about any text, religious or not
.  Sure, there's a subjective interpretation to religious text. That doesn't negate the fact that (A), some interpretations could be dead wrong; and (B), there isn't any core takeaway we can get from them.

It's gets even worse with Islam from what i've seen, at least when discussing its text and history. I've seen/spoken to several Muslims at my university (some of them in prominent administrative positions that try to whitewash history and spread ignorance. I remember there was a Muslim student on campus running a "ask a Muslim" stand in the student center. He was talking to a friend of mine in the free-thinkers and inquirers' group about Islamic conquest and history. As I walked by, I overheard him claim that  actions taken against non-muslims, by muslims, were "defensive". I chimed in with a "I know right, those god damned Armenians really had it coming. Those assholes. He then stared at me for a couple of seconds and proceeded to change the subject.

You then get prominent figures like good Ol' Cenek, everyone's favorite buffalo doing things like.....

1.Claiming that the Ottoman Empire was pleasant to their minorities (lol, they only treated them as 2nd class citizens.)
2. Having a history of blatantly denying the Armenian genocide.
3. Naming his prominent news organization The Young Turks. He knew who the Young Turks were well before we started his medium, as evidenced by this 1991 article he wrote  http://dparchives.library.upenn.edu/cgi-bin/pennsylvania?a=d&d=tdp19911122-01.2.24
4. And worse of all, him, along with other grassroots progressives, have a strange habit of white-knighting for Islam, even going  as far as to brand "new atheists" as closet racists http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/new-atheism-anti-muslim-white-supremacy-movement-426032443

Because yeah, let's work for marginalized groups....by going after atheists: the most marginalized voice out there. Whatever dude. /Endrant.

A couple of quick responses.

1. All religious people don't say everything is OK when they encounter inconsistencies. Some work very hard, and admirably, to reconcile them with what they know.  E.g., St. Augustine's City of God. Aquinas Summa Theologica.

2. A good many Westerners are "sympathetic" to wars of domination carried out in the Middle East too, not to mention other horrible things like torture.  I think people make too much of polls showing what Muslims are "sympathetic" with. Too little investigation into what that really means.

3. Checking a country's GDP was not really what I had in mind when speaking of social and historical factors, if by "blame" you mean recent Muslim terrorism.  If you regard lack of security and development as co-factors, you find a much better predictor of where Salafism takes root and turns politically active.  Globalization has certainly altered the practice of Islam in many countries, especially Egypt, Iran, and Pakistan. It also plays a strong constitutive role in creating "new" Muslims in Western countries.

4.   Of course what I said about religious texts applies to all texts--including scientific and secular-political (e.g., the US Constitution). I don't think any text has a "core" meaning, if by that you mean an essence that remains unchanged over time. All interpretations are judged right or wrong according to prevailing--and changing--standards of interpretation, which in turn are grounded in historically and culturally variable assumptions about the nature of reality.

Some of your comments about your Muslim student and Cenk are puzzling. You were imagining a tally of misdeeds which would somehow favor Christianity or "the West"?