Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
AJ Green On Dunlap's Penalty
(09-09-2018, 08:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here comes the unpopular, yet accurate opinion...

Dunlap's first PF was legit. He dipped his head right at contact. But more importantly, he fell right on top of Luck. I don't care how big he is, it's a clear rule; you can't fall with all your weight on the QB (full stop)

Los' PF where he fell on the back of Luck's legs was total BS. Bengals not getting a call when Dalton was clubbed on the head was total BS. William's PF deserved the flag, ejection and suspension (that's sure to come). 

And yes yes yes, Lofton is TURRIBLE. Worse than Fouts.

This.  I don't like it either, but the "pancaking" penalty was a correct interpretation of the new rule as written.  They've been calling this all preseason, and hit Grady Jarrett with the same call on Thursday night.  Nice explanation of the rule by Collinsworth:

https://deadspin.com/falcons-grady-jarrett-gets-flagged-for-not-levitating-a-1828874308

They got Myles Garrett v. Steelers, too, negated a 4th down stop.  I guess they expect the defenders to roll off the QB after the hit.  Here's the rule:

A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (a) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player’s arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 10:40 AM)shanebo Wrote: This.  I don't like it either, but the "pancaking" penalty was a correct interpretation of the new rule as written.  They've been calling this all preseason, and hit Grady Jarrett with the same call on Thursday night.  Nice explanation of the rule by Collinsworth:

https://deadspin.com/falcons-grady-jarrett-gets-flagged-for-not-levitating-a-1828874308

They got Myles Garrett v. Steelers, too, negated a 4th down stop.  I guess they expect the defenders to roll off the QB after the hit.  Here's the rule:

A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (a) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player’s arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight.

There appears to be two schools of thought on the penalty ...

1. it was called because of the "driving him to the ground" interpretation; OR

2. it was called because of contact to the head/neck area at the start of the sack.

Personally, I think it was #2 (above) but still, the whole thing was a big, steaming #2.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 06:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Did anyone see the Watt hit on Tyrod Tylor? Williams deserved his ejection, Watts was worse and no ejection. Did anyone else see the hit Watt hit on Taylor?

I saw him hit Taylor late and get penalized for it. For some reason, they still counted it as a sack for him. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The rule sucks. It's horrible and very subjective. Dunlap got screwed and so did Garrett, but the rule is there to prevent that. The just need to get rid of it outright.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 07:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: With you 100% Brad, but I would ask:  Where was the energy at the start of the game?  The only guy that seemed ready to run through a wall was Joe Mixon (and on defense, Preston Brown...hope he is OK).

They need to stop waiting for something to happen to catch fire.  They better come our breathing fire Thursday because the Ratbirds will be. 

I agree, and that’s typical of a Marvin Lewis team, but hopefully going into Indy and handing the Colts their asses will have the team getting energized before games and ready to come out swinging.

Week 2, being in the Jungle and against a divisional opponent, I think we’ll come out breathing fire, especially with the momentum from this win.

I also think Burfict will be HUGE in that area (I know he’s not back yet but just saying).
Reply/Quote
Whoever wrote that rule has either never watched a football game and/or has no understanding of basic physics.
(09-10-2018, 10:40 AM)shanebo Wrote: This.  I don't like it either, but the "pancaking" penalty was a correct interpretation of the new rule as written.  They've been calling this all preseason, and hit Grady Jarrett with the same call on Thursday night.  Nice explanation of the rule by Collinsworth:

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 12:34 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Whoever wrote that rule has either never watched a football game and/or has no understanding of basic physics.
Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

They also have no common sense.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2018, 08:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Tuck was blasting the call on Sirius this morning. Said that a DE as big as Dunlap trying to take a QB as big as Luck to the ground, and not falling on him, is against the laws of physics.

Actually it's not. I'm not saying it's easy, but he just needs to roll to the side...like he did on the later sack of Luck.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote