Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am Loving the Speed
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/NFLs-fastest-team-Speed-mandatory-at-this-camp/14f24f21-78c2-40a7-abae-e3e99e0b8acd

Can these rookies make the roster and change the overall team speed? Will it make a difference? If so,where exactly do you see biggest impact from the 2017 speed draftees?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
You won't be loving the speed of the opponent's DL going through the Bengals' OL. Or the speed of the ambulance carrying Dalton to the hospital.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 06:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/NFLs-fastest-team-Speed-mandatory-at-this-camp/14f24f21-78c2-40a7-abae-e3e99e0b8acd

Can these rookies make the roster and change the overall team speed? Will it make a difference? If so,where exactly do you see biggest impact from the 2017 speed draftees?

1) see WJIII, Ross, Joe Mixon, Jordan Willis, Carl Lawson, and possibly Cody Core making roster. 

2) Yes

3) It will make a difference having Ross and AJ lined up together keeping safeties honest and allowing Eiffert and Mixon to do their  thing. 
Hopefully WJIII is real deal as well and allows his speed to impact defensive backfield in major fashion too.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 06:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You won't be loving the speed of the opponent's DL going through the Bengals' OL. Or the speed of the ambulance carrying Dalton to the hospital.

Bazinga!

Reply/Quote
Is there a positive topic we could discuss without the thread being derailed by someone telling us our O-line will be crappy? Btw, all that speed will keep the defense at home..
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 07:43 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Is there a positive topic we could discuss without the thread being derailed by someone telling us our O-line will be crappy?  Btw, all that speed will keep the defense at home..

Don't worry, if the Bengals start out fast this year, and the line holds up, you will notice how fast those negative opinions get flipped around, and the bandwagon starts filling up.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 07:47 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Don't worry, if the Bengals start out fast this year, and the line holds up, you will notice how fast those negative opinions get flipped around, and the bandwagon starts filling up.

Yep! And please let me state my hatred for bandwagoners. It takes a special heart to be a fan of this team. You have to earn the right to be on that wagon, you can't just jump on.

WTS, if the line does their job (big if), we friggin smoke the division, the conference and the playoffs. That if Marvin keeps it together (another big if)?

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 07:47 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Don't worry, if the Bengals start out fast this year, and the line holds up, you will notice how fast those negative opinions get flipped around, and the bandwagon starts filling up.

(06-13-2017, 07:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep! And please let me state my hatred for bandwagoners. It takes a special heart to be a fan of this team. You have to earn the right to be on that wagon, you can't just jump on.

WTS, if the line does their job (big if), we friggin smoke the division, the conference and the playoffs. That if Marvin keeps it together (another big if)?

I'm going to watch all the games and cheer for the team regardless if they are good or not. I was still a fan regardless of Akili Smith or Ryan Fizpatrick being the starter, so my "true fan" status has been well paid off.

I just know two years ago the Colts tried this exact same approach. Stock up on offensive talent at the skill positions... Luck, Gore, Hilton, A Johnson, Fleener, Allen, use a first round pick on an undersized WR who was the fastest in their draft in Dorsett... and think that the skill positions will make up for having a putrid OL.

Luck ended up with a hurt right shoulder, a hurt ankle, lacerated kidney, and torn abdominal muscle. He had never missed a game prior, but played only 7 games that year. His hasn't really been truly healthy since then, and he had to get surgery on his throwing shoulder, traced back to the injury in the 2015 season. Luck still hasn't resumed throwing yet.

They call it a copycat league, but it is generally implied you are supposed to copy the good things, not the stupid things.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 08:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm going to watch all the games and cheer for the team regardless if they are good or not. I was still a fan regardless of Akili Smith or Ryan Fizpatrick being the starter, so my "true fan" status has been well paid off.

I just know two years ago the Colts tried this exact same approach. Stock up on offensive talent at the skill positions... Luck, Gore, Hilton, A Johnson, Fleener, Allen, use a first round pick on an undersized WR who was the fastest in their draft in Dorsett... and think that the skill positions will make up for having a putrid OL.

Luck ended up with a hurt right shoulder, a hurt ankle, lacerated kidney, and torn abdominal muscle. He had never missed a game prior, but played only 7 games that year. His hasn't really been truly healthy since then, and he had to get surgery on his throwing shoulder, traced back to the injury in the 2015 season. Luck still hasn't resumed throwing yet.

They call it a copycat league, but it is generally implied you are supposed to copy the good things, not the stupid things.

Epiphany! Now we know why McCarron wasn't offered in any way. However, not really like it hasn't been brought to the surface a million times on this board. He's part of the game plan.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 08:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm going to watch all the games and cheer for the team regardless if they are good or not. I was still a fan regardless of Akili Smith or Ryan Fizpatrick being the starter, so my "true fan" status has been well paid off.

Dang. Lol
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 06:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You won't be loving the speed of the opponent's DL going through the Bengals' OL. Or the speed of the ambulance carrying Dalton to the hospital.

You say this like it's a fact but it has yet to be determined.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

I wouldn't worry about a bandwagon forming around this team. Even if we win a playoff game or two this year we'll still have the stigma of being a "thug" team and be seen as the villains... At least for awhile longer.

Mixon will have the woman beater stigma follow him for the rest of his life (like Michael Vick and his dog killing). People still think Vontaze is dirty (even though he had one personal foul all year last season) and with Pacman Mothaf****n' Jones still around....

Nationwide, we get no respect because of all the negative publicity. We win consistently for the next few years (especially January) then people will start to change their tune. Winning cures all, but the winning has to be long term and in critical scenarios. That's what draws the low self-esteemed, weak minded, small d***ed Bandwagoners aboard.

Bottom line, there won't be another Bengal Bandwagon for at least a few more years.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 06:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/NFLs-fastest-team-Speed-mandatory-at-this-camp/14f24f21-78c2-40a7-abae-e3e99e0b8acd

Don't want to derail your thread Luvnit like TLL did about the O-line but.... 

This is all presumption until we see it.

Og has been working his ass off, Fisher will be at one position finally, Boling should be healthy, Andre is a better run
blocker than Zeitler, Bodine was a little better last year than the year before but to your OP Luvnit...

No one can question that having this much speed on ST's with our coach Simmons won't help, a lot.

Jordan Willis, Carl Lawson, Brandon Wilson and Jordan Evans should really help on ST's.

Let alone our already good players in Josh Shaw, Peerman, Core, Erickson, Fej, Shawn and such.

3 phases to the game and this phase should be one of the best this year along with the Defense.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 07:43 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Is there a positive topic we could discuss without the thread being derailed by someone telling us our O-line will be crappy?  Btw, all that speed will keep the defense at home..

[Image: b7b.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 10:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't want to derail your thread Luvnit like TLL did about the O-line but.... 

This is all presumption until we see it.

Og has been working his ass off, Fisher will be at one position finally, Boling should be healthy, Andre is a better run
blocker than Zeitler, Bodine was a little better last year than the year before but to your OP Luvnit...

No one can question that having this much speed on ST's with our coach Simmons won't help, a lot.

Jordan Willis, Carl Lawson, Brandon Wilson and Jordan Evans should really help on ST's.

Let alone our already good players in Josh Shaw, Peerman, Core, Erickson, Fej, Shawn and such.

3 phases to the game and this phase should be one of the best this year along with the Defense.

I think it be hashed, rehashed and obvious to most the OL has to be better in 2017 than they were in 2016. BTW..they sucked in 2016 allowing or QB with a quick release (no A. Luck or Ben R. type QB who hold onto the ball) 42 times and be hit repeatedly.

I agree ST's may be the biggest winner in 2017. I also like adding speed guys to our defense. A healthy Jackson, Lawson, Willis, Minter and Evans all could upgrade our defense as well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
With the speed that is on offense, Andy Dalton won't need 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball. If I'm not mistaken, Dalton has one of the fastest deliveries in the NFL and who exactly is going to be able to cover Ross when he is sent deep?

It takes Ross 4.22 seconds to get 40 yards, add half a second to account for the pads and helmet so 4.72 seconds. For Dalton to throw the ball 40 yards, he will only need 2 seconds and the time of travel will allow Ross to just flat out beat his man if he's one on one which he should be since he's a rookie and Green is on the other side being doubled.

Once he continues to beat his man, he will need help which should pull the Safteys back making the LB's cover the TE's. Once they are beat, the opposing D will have to give the LB's help and drop a DE which should allow Mixon and Hill room to run.

On D, the Bengals will have Atkins and Billings clogging the middle with Dunlap and whoever on the Ends. Burfict, Minter and the kid from last year will cover the middle of the field which will allow the Safteys to help the DB's

In a perfect world that is.
Reply/Quote

There are a few problems I see with your thinking.. Gore, Johnson were aged veterans that they signed neither worked out that well and neither had the speed that our draft picks are bring to this team..., ,, also don;t forget Richardson, they tried him briefly... ..   As for draft picks.. the Colts picked  3 lineman out of their first 4 picks in 2013/14.. after drafting Luck in 2012.. so I would not say they ignored the line before he got hurt... but you can argue that maybe they needed to look at a veteran lineman also... I just don;t see a very good comparison with the Bengals and Colts.. they went old at WR/RB we went young and fast there.  Also we have drafted two tackles early.. yes they have struggled but the foundation of level of play is way too early to judge yet and we did add a veteran in Smith to try to soften the blow of losing Whit and Zeitler.

Finally, the speed can help a subpar line.. speed is more than just going long.. quick screens, slants.. safety release out of backfield all are facets that can help protect a QB getting rushed.  I am not saying that our line is cured and could be a issue for sure.. but this draft was not a good draft for lineman and I believe they decided to induce speed into the equation and believed this will help the offense line better than drafting early lineman that probably would not have helped. 
Reply/Quote
We have to be able to run the ball more effectively. I think if we're able to run the ball better than we have, we'll be much more explosive. That will mean the whole defense will have to respect the run and give our speed guys those valuable few seconds to get by the D checking in on the backfield.

Even though the league has changed into more of a passing league, running the ball is still the tried and true way of a being a dynamic offense.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

The pessimists will look at this and say "yeah, that really worked out for the Raiders", while completely ignoring that they had Shamu (Jamarcus Russel) as their QB.

The optimists, myself included, will realize that this infusion of youth and velocity is going to address issues the Bengals have had on several fronts:  

Speed rush from the outside...especially when they come in fresh and breathing fire. 

Vertical threat to draw safeties off the LOS...This is a large reason as to why Rudi had a 1400 yard season with Henry taking the proverbial top off the defense.

Special teams.  The coverage units will be downing punts with no returns and teams will likely not want to take the ball out of the end zone.  Word out of mini camp is Elliot gets good hang time and the ball dies at the goal line.  Remember the Green Bay game when their KR fumbled the opening kickoff because he couldn't decide whether to let it bounce or not?

I can't narrow it down to just one thing.  It will be a huge impact from a pass rush standpoint and a vertical threat on offense.  Special teams is just icing on the cake.   
Reply/Quote
I think my favorite part of the added speed is that it's talented speed. This isn't Darius Heyward Bey, Dontay Moch, Dri Archer speed.

This is refined, route running, edge bending, tackle breaking, gap reading speed.

We've never had this before.
Reply/Quote