Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JN Game: Pick the next HC
(11-17-2016, 12:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Me and LL have mentioned Harbaugh, but like we said, there's no way he's leaving his throne at Michigan. He'd probably be most people's #1 choice if they viewed him as a realistic option. Fwiw, I can't envision a strong personality like Harbaugh getting along with Mike Brown. Talk about oil and water.

I completely agree about mixing with Mike Brown...He would be the most outspoken and controversial guy here since Sam Wyche.  That is a part of the reason I want him.  It helps Brown answer the conservative criticism.  It would also draw National media coverage, which is something Brown usually would shy away from.  With Katie and Troy doing a great deal of the heavy lifting now, I think they could see those characteristics as strengths.  Remember, they still want to sell tickets.

As far as Harbaugh leaving Michigan, I am not so sure.  I think it grates on him that his brother has a Super Bowl ring, which he won against him.  I will never underestimate the man's drive.  If he came to the Bengals and won a Super Bowl, they would be putting him on the Mount Rushmore of Greatest Coaches of All Time.  The only thing as great as his drive is his ego.

I know it probably has less than a 1% chance of happening, but he is exactly what I want:  Energy, creative, no-nonsense.  The anti-Marv.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-17-2016, 07:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So you're saying that these guys all retired because they hated Harbaugh, but waited until months after Harbaugh left to announce their retirements? Don't you think that sounds a little far fetched?

It's documented that Borland  retired due to concerns over head trauma. Justin Smith was 35 coming off a down season, and Willis had been battling a severe toe injury for several years. It seems far more believable that they retired for these reasons than hatred for a coach who was already gone.

Plus if they're retired, why lie and pretend you liked Harbaugh? We would've heard plenty of talk if that were the case.

Plenty of his players did say they very much disliked him. Go back and look, few said it openly many did behind the scenes. His roster issues aside in San Fran, he acts like a baby on the sideline and it is off putting. Kapernick regressed over his tenure there. His defense was the product of Vik Fangio. The drafting while he was there is what put them in their current state of a "talent less "roster.

As I said your all in on him, I am not. Is he a "bad" coach? No he is probably a good coach. Do I think he is a good solution for any team long term? No. I think he becomes toxic after being in places for a long enough time. It's not a question of is he better than Marvin, but is he better than other candidates for the long term success, and this is what I'd be leery of.
Coughlin
Joseph
Fox
Patricia
McCarthy

College bonus:

Brian Kelly.
I figure it'll be Guenther.
Everything in this post is my fault.
(11-18-2016, 11:11 AM)samhain Wrote: Coughlin
Joseph
Fox
Patricia
McCarthy

College bonus:

Brian Kelly.

I thought we wanted to get away from coaches who can't win big games.  Tongue

Joseph
Fox
Patricia
McCarthy

College bonus:

Brian Kelly.

Oh please no.   And I'm an Irish fan!

McCarthy
McDaniels
Schwartz
Billick?   Interesting name......
Shanahan??

only two college names interest me.  and neither one will make the jump here.  Saban and Harbaugh
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Joseph
Fox
Patricia
McCarthy

College bonus:

Brian Kelly.

Knowing that a-hole, he'll get the Bengals to the Super Bowl... and then quit before the game to go coach elsewhere, leaving the Bengals hanging.

Notre Dame's 4-6 record this year is delicious.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(11-16-2016, 08:38 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: McCarthy
Haley
Joseph
Coughlin
Bevell

And I'll throw out a college coach with lots of ties to Ohio and surrounding areas. Mark Dantonio. He's good at getting the most out of the talent available to him and a hard nosed coach that would fit great in this division. Coming off a down season and looking up at the traditional powerhouses in the BIG10 coming back to life, he may just agree to move on. Unlikely but not totally unrealistic and I would love that hire about as much as anyone listed in this thread.

If we went to the college level, Dantonio would be my pick.  I also think he might be a guy that would be a good fit for the city since he coached at Cincinnati for awhile.

Obviously the key would be for him to hire a pretty good staff.  I think he would be open to making the move, since he's probably not winning too much more now that Harbaugh and Meyer are coaching in the Big Ten
(11-18-2016, 02:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Knowing that a-hole, he'll get the Bengals to the Super Bowl... and then quit before the game to go coach elsewhere, leaving the Bengals hanging.

Notre Dame's 4-6 record this year is delicious.

Pretty much this  Hilarious

Provided Tommy Tuberville is fired, I wouldn't be shocked at all if UC tried to get Kelly back. And for the few who said Doug Marrone are you crazy?? Did you watch his Syracuse teams? Pure garbage. Granted, he didn't have a whole lot to work with but the game planning and preparation was as bad as Marv... Maybe even worse. 

Top 3 coaches:

Mike Zimmer (I can dream, can't I?)
Vance Joseph (I think this is the most likely option outside of Guenther)
Darrell Bevelle (this guy has been flying under the radar for years. I think he could be very special. If we were somehow able to nab him I'd be ecstatic)
Any word on Gruden coming back out to coach?
McCarthy
Fox
Joseph
McDermott
Robiskie
Jon Gruden
Patricia

Would be happy with any of these guys...
(11-18-2016, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: McCarthy
Fox
Joseph
McDermott
Robiskie
Jon Gruden
Patricia

Would be happy with any of these guys...

Officially the only other person besides me to mention him so far. Welcome to the club!

No-College Allowed...
HC: Terry Robiskie
OC: Brian Daboll
DC: Al Holcomb

I all but guarantee we'd be a top rushing team. Throw in Dalton/Green/Eifert and that could be a crazy scary offense since Daboll clearly knows how to use/coach TEs.

Plus maybe Holcomb could finally make the Bengals get a good LB group. At least good enough to cover a freaking TE for once. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Am I the only one who thinks you have to at least make the call to Zim and Hue and see if they want to come back?

Jim Harbaugh would be awesome. He and his brother in the same division would be amazing. And we know he would win here. But that's never gonna happen.

I like the idea of McCarthy. A guy who has won before and has longevity with one team. Calm demeanor.

I've always thought Vance Joseph would be a HC some day, but he has only been a coordinator for 1 year, not sure he's ready to be the hC of an NFL team. But what do I know.

Didn't like the idea of McDaniels but after reading this thread I could find myself optimistic that he could be ready for a second chance and could be good for our offense.

The ultimate pipe dream that many teams would love to have - David Shaw.