Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JN Game: Pick the next HC
(11-16-2016, 07:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In trying to keep the options as realistic as possible, I didn't include college coaches like Harbaugh, Kelly, Shaw, Sumlin, ect because the Bengals have only dipped into the college ranks one time in their history (when Paul hired Sam in '84) and as far as I can remember, Mike has never even talked about having interest in going the route. 

However, if he did, Herman would definitely makes since. Although I like the idea of going after a guy like Herman, I don't know that Mike realistically would, which is why I didn't put him on the list.

Fair enough, I suppose. Though I would say that if you one dip into college coaches netted you Sam Wyche, perhaps you should head back to that well. Harbaugh isn't really realistic even if you add the option for college coaches, simply because I think he wants to stay in Michigan. That's why I didn't actually rank him and chose a more realistic Tom Herman.

If college coaches are off the table, I would move Terry Robiskie up to #1.

He was the WR coach for Atlanta ('08-'15) when Robbie White and Julio Jones tore up the NFL. Now he's the OC for the Titans and he has them at 6th in yards (3rd in rushing yards) and 8th in scoring, up from 30th (25th), and 28th respectively in 2015. Marcus Mariota looks really good and DeMarco Murray looks like 2014 DeMarco Murray in his offense.

He would need to choose a good DC, because he's pretty clearly and offensive guy, but I think he could actually get a consistent dominant running game going. That could be the key to dominating the AFCN for the next decade or so.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
McDaniel's
Joseph
Haley
Linehan
McDermott
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Zimmer........oops

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
(11-16-2016, 04:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So I thought we could have a little fun with all the talk about replacing Marvin. For the record, I still think Marvin will be the HC next year, but if I'm wrong and Mike either fires him or Marvin walks away, then what kind of coach would be best for the Bengals moving forward. 

I figured I would put together a list of possible candidates and get the pulse of our members as to what they would like to see. In this scenario, I have Mike McCarthy and John Fox getting fired and being on the list. I also have 2 very successful ex HC's in Billick and Coughlin, as well as 5 ex HC's that are now coordinators/coaches and 11 coordinators that are hot candidates and/or have had interviews over the last couple of years for open spots.

I did not include guys like Gruden, Cowher and Dungy because I think it would take too much money to land them, and I'm not sure if they would even be interested in leaving their current gigs. 

So, there's 20 names to choose from. Make a list of 5 candidates who you think would be the best fit for the job. Once enough lists have been shared, we'll do a poll of the top 5 names and see who gets the nod in our imaginary coaching search. Again, this is just for fun and meant to see who the fans would hire if they had the power. 

Here's the list to choose your top 5 from:

Mike McCarthy
Tom Coughlin
Brian Billick
John Fox

Steve Spagnuolo
Scott Linehan
Doug Marrone
Todd Haley
Jim Schwartz

Josh McDaniels
Matt Patricia
Kyle Shanahan
Vance Joseph
Sean McDermott
Teryl Austin
Sean McVay
Darrell Bevell
Anthony Lynn
Frank Riech
Mike Shula
1.) Josh McDaniels- I think his system would be perfect for Andy
2.)Steve Spangnulo- reminds me of a young Zim
3.) Jim Schwartz- coaches with fire might be what this team needs
4.)Kyle Shannan - I like his offensive system 
5.)Mike Patrica-  very smart coach.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
(11-16-2016, 04:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: My list would be:

Mike McCarthy
Matt Patricia
Kyle Shanahan
Brian Billick
Josh McDaniels

Pretty much this. Although I'd maybe think about replacing Billick with Vance Joseph. 

Honestly, Matt Patricia is probably the most interesting candidate for me. 

Bill Billick- Dude is salty that no one else gave him a chance

Todd Haley- Dude is a GREAT OC. Deserves another chance at a HC gig

Josh McDaniels- See Haley comments

Norv Turner- Not listed
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-16-2016, 04:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: .... For the record, I still think Marvin will be the HC next year, ...

Stop it, stop it. Thinking that Marv will be gone is what gives me happy thoughts about the Bengals chances next year.

My 5 would be:

Mike McCarthy
Brian Billick
Matt Patricia
Kyle Shanahan
Vance Joseph

Jim Harbaugh

I don't want anyone else, and there isn't anyone else that gets more out of his players. I know, he's crazy... I also think his competitive fire burns hotter than any other coach and it burns him that his brother has a Super Bowl ring and he does not.

Can you imagine Jim and John in the same division...and with Omar Opps? I mean, Tomlin? That's good theater. I think the NFL would love it.

Before you all poo-poo it, remember that Mike, Katie, and Troy were paying Marv over $5 million per year, and gave raises to Zim and Gruden that, collectively, I believe approached $8 million per year. Harbaugh might just take $8 million per year for the opportunity here.

Ok, release the hounds....
(11-16-2016, 04:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So I thought we could have a little fun with all the talk about replacing Marvin. For the record, I still think Marvin will be the HC next year, but if I'm wrong and Mike either fires him or Marvin walks away, then what kind of coach would be best for the Bengals moving forward. 

I figured I would put together a list of possible candidates and get the pulse of our members as to what they would like to see. In this scenario, I have Mike McCarthy and John Fox getting fired and being on the list. I also have 2 very successful ex HC's in Billick and Coughlin, as well as 5 ex HC's that are now coordinators/coaches and 11 coordinators that are hot candidates and/or have had interviews over the last couple of years for open spots.

I did not include guys like Gruden, Cowher and Dungy because I think it would take too much money to land them, and I'm not sure if they would even be interested in leaving their current gigs. 

So, there's 20 names to choose from. Make a list of 5 candidates who you think would be the best fit for the job. Once enough lists have been shared, we'll do a poll of the top 5 names and see who gets the nod in our imaginary coaching search. Again, this is just for fun and meant to see who the fans would hire if they had the power. 

Here's the list to choose your top 5 from:

Mike McCarthy
Tom Coughlin
Brian Billick
John Fox

Steve Spagnuolo
Scott Linehan
Doug Marrone
Todd Haley
Jim Schwartz

Josh McDaniels
Matt Patricia
Kyle Shanahan
Vance Joseph
Sean McDermott
Teryl Austin
Sean McVay
Darrell Bevell
Anthony Lynn
Frank Riech
Mike Shula

Matt Patricia
Josh McDaniels
Sean McDermott
Steve Spagnuolo
Todd Haley

Bonus: Me
(11-17-2016, 09:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Jim Harbaugh

I don't want anyone else, and there isn't anyone else that gets more out of his players. I know, he's crazy... I also think his competitive fire burns hotter than any other coach and it burns him that his brother has a Super Bowl ring and he does not.

Can you imagine Jim and John in the same division...and with Omar Opps? I mean, Tomlin? That's good theater. I think the NFL would love it.

Before you all poo-poo it, remember that Mike, Katie, and Troy were paying Marv over $5 million per year, and gave raises to Zim and Gruden that, collectively, I believe approached $8 million per year. Harbaugh might just take $8 million per year for the opportunity here.

Ok, release the hounds....

Me and LL have mentioned Harbaugh, but like we said, there's no way he's leaving his throne at Michigan. He'd probably be most people's #1 choice if they viewed him as a realistic option. Fwiw, I can't envision a strong personality like Harbaugh getting along with Mike Brown. Talk about oil and water.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(11-17-2016, 12:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Me and LL have mentioned Harbaugh, but like we said, there's no way he's leaving his throne at Michigan. He'd probably be most people's #1 choice if they viewed him as a realistic option. Fwiw, I can't envision a strong personality like Harbaugh getting along with Mike Brown. Talk about oil and water.

Agree,

1. Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan anytime soon. Maybe in 3 or 4 years ?

2. MB would never tolerate Harbaugh, I'm quite sure he would demand nearly full control. So it's not happening 
(11-17-2016, 12:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Me and LL have mentioned Harbaugh, but like we said, there's no way he's leaving his throne at Michigan. He'd probably be most people's #1 choice if they viewed him as a realistic option. Fwiw, I can't envision a strong personality like Harbaugh getting along with Mike Brown. Talk about oil and water.

Harbaugh will not work in the NFL in a long term capacity. He works in college because the kids leave every 4 years, that isn't the case in the pros (well expect they start retiring to get away from him). He had early success in San Fran then it all came crumbling down because he is just tough to deal with.

I'll take Josh McDaniels because of the lineage and the offense he'd bring.
(11-17-2016, 12:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: Harbaugh will not work in the NFL in a long term capacity. He works in college because the kids leave every 4 years, that isn't the case in the pros (well expect they start retiring to get away from him). He had early success in San Fran then it all came crumbling down because he is just tough to deal with.

I'll take Josh McDaniels because of the lineage and the offense he'd bring.

I have to disagree. I don't think the guys who retired, did so because they hated Harbaugh. A few of them retired due to concussion concerns and Justin Smith was just at that age. If they retired due to Harbaugh, why didn't they come back when he left? So yeah, that's a silly accusation IMO.

Baalke just butted ego's with Harbaugh and held the higher position. That's all there is to it. Jim had a fantastic run in SF, and the 49ers have been complete crap before and immediately after his tenure. All the guy does is win, if management stays out of his way.

Edit: I just looked it up, and Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, Chris Borland etc all retired AFTER Harbaugh was fired. So maybe you should rethink your stance that players hated him? Again, I think Harbaugh's only issue was with Baalke. I did hear rumblings that Kaep didn't like Harbaugh, but consider the source. Kaep takes issue with a lot of stuff.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(11-17-2016, 02:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I have to disagree. I don't think the guys who retired, did so because they hated Harbaugh. A few of them retired due to concussion concerns and Justin Smith was just at that age. If they retired due to Harbaugh, why didn't they come back when he left? So yeah, that's a silly accusation IMO.

Baalke just butted ego's with Harbaugh and held the higher position. That's all there is to it. Jim had a fantastic run in SF, and the 49ers have been complete crap before and immediately after his tenure. All the guy does is win, if management stays out of his way.

Edit: I just looked it up, and Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, Chris Borland etc all retired AFTER Harbaugh was fired. So maybe you should rethink your stance that players hated him? Again, I think Harbaugh's only issue was with Baalke. I did hear rumblings that Kaep didn't like Harbaugh, but consider the source. Kaep takes issue with a lot of stuff.

The timing of their retirement was the season Harbaugh was canned, as in a couple months after it was official. The long standing thought that last year was Harbaugh drove them too hard and was fracturing the team (see Alex Boone defending him the year before then saying he wanted to kick his ass that season). You can say Harbaugh was already gone, but the damage was already done. I can see your all in, so nothing I say will change that, but I do not believe Harbaugh will come back to the NFL. If he does, I would bet money he doesn't last past 4 years at any one place.
Good list so far. I would also like to consider Jim Schwartz, Rob Chudzinski, and Jim Bob Cooter.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
(11-17-2016, 06:05 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: Good list so far.  I would also like to consider Jim Schwartz, Rob Chudzinski, and Jim Bob Cooter.

Actually considered putting Chud on list for a little bit, but found it hard to justify over SB winners like Munchak or Coughlin.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(11-16-2016, 04:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Doug Marrone
Josh McDaniels
Matt Patricia
Kyle Shanahan
Vance Joseph
Those guys
McDaniels first
Joseph
Shanahan
Patricia
Marrone
(11-16-2016, 04:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mike McCarthy
Tom Coughlin
Brian Billick
John Fox

Steve Spagnuolo
Scott Linehan
Doug Marrone
Todd Haley
Jim Schwartz

Josh McDaniels
Matt Patricia
Kyle Shanahan
Vance Joseph
Sean McDermott
Teryl Austin
Sean McVay
Darrell Bevell
Anthony Lynn
Frank Riech
Mike Shula

Kyle Shanahan (he's been at the top of my list for a couple years)
Brian Billick/John Fox (not super high on either, but both are good coaches and know how to build winning programs; if we're cleaning house, either would be a good choice for top to bottom)
Shwartz/McDermott (not super high on them either, but I think both could be the defensive minded coach we never had in Marvin)
(11-17-2016, 04:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: The timing of their retirement was the season Harbaugh was canned, as in a couple months after it was official. The long standing thought that last year was Harbaugh drove them too hard and was fracturing the team (see Alex Boone defending him the year before then saying he wanted to kick his ass that season). You can say Harbaugh was already gone, but the damage was already done. I can see your all in, so nothing I say will change that, but I do not believe Harbaugh will come back to the NFL. If he does, I would bet money he doesn't last past 4 years at any one place.

So you're saying that these guys all retired because they hated Harbaugh, but waited until months after Harbaugh left to announce their retirements? Don't you think that sounds a little far fetched?

It's documented that Borland  retired due to concerns over head trauma. Justin Smith was 35 coming off a down season, and Willis had been battling a severe toe injury for several years. It seems far more believable that they retired for these reasons than hatred for a coach who was already gone.

Plus if they're retired, why lie and pretend you liked Harbaugh? We would've heard plenty of talk if that were the case.
Mikey may trust Katie and Tobin a lot, but still makes the final call. That could go one of three ways given the options:

1. Marvin stays

2. Vance Joseph or Paul Guenther
-If Hue's succession plan was an actual offer, then we underestimate Marvin's pull. Vance or Paul would be a plug and play HC and Marvin retires or gets paid to be some sort of advisor. Who knows the dynamic so maybe he could muscle Tobin out if it comes down to it though, talk about backlash.

(at this point Coughlin is contacted but declines)
3. John Fox: Playoff experience (8-7) He would be let go 3 times, maybe he sees Marvin's span as job security. If given security, may not push for personnel decisions and take some of Cincy's lifer assistants (everyone's nightmare). He would still need top 10-20 coaching money to make it work.

After that, I really don't know. McCarthy may be the best coach, so I don't see him being fired, affordable or going to Cincy. Cincy's biggest chip could be the idea that you may get a college like lifetime deal if you play your cards right. Young guys don't worry about that, neither do comfortable guys like Billick or Coughlin that may need an ideal position. If somehow they turn a new leaf and throw a bunch of money and power at a big name, smh nevermind...back to reality.