Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I can't believe I'm saying this about coaching...
But I think that the only thing that needs replaced in the off-season should be the OC. And I think that Norv Turner would be the best candidate to do so.

The players are still playing really hard. They just had a string of poor kicking in close games.

My offseason presricption for fixing the Bengals ails:

Replace the kicker
Bolster the Oline, and Dline
Grab a strong OC.

Sometimes teams have bad luck, but besides the kicker struggling mightily I think that the OC is a mess. Just too green to be handed the keys to such a high end team with high end expectations. There's no reason the offense should look the way it does. Especially in the red zone.

Norv Turner gets the MAX out of the TE spot and the Bengals have 3 studs and 1 other worldly player at that spot. He also can work a running game and stretch the field. I think he would also command the respect of Marvin and be left alone to do his thing.

What style of offense do you see benefiting the current roster? Do you want pass happy, deep threat, run more, West Coast? And what OC do you think could step in right away and make that happen seamlessly?

I predicted 7-9 before the season and felt that the team was due to have a down year. It's just typically how it goes in the NFL. I'm not as upset or bitter about it as a lot of other fans and don't think a total roster or coaching overhaul is going to be a step forward.

Thanks and Whodey!
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 05:32 PM)PDub80 Wrote: But I think that the only thing that needs replaced in the off-season should be the OC. And I think that Norv Turner would be the best candidate to do so.

The players are still playing really hard. They just had a string of poor kicking in close games.

Replace the kicker
Grab a strong OC.

Sometimes teams have bad luck, but besides the kicker struggling mightily I think that the OC is a mess. Just too green to be handed the keys to such a high end team with high end expectations. There's no reason the offense should look the way it does. Especially in the red zone.

Norv Turner gets the MAX out of the TE spot and the Bengals have 3 studs and 1 other worldly player at that spot. He also can work a running game and stretch the field. I think he would also command the respect of Marvin and be left alone to do his thing.

What style of offense do you see benefiting the current roster? Do you want pass happy, deep threat, run more, West Coast? And what OC do you think could step in right away and make that happen seamlessly?

I predicted 7-9 before the season and felt that the team was due to have a down year. It's just typically how it goes in the NFL. I'm not as upset or bitter about it as a lot of other fans and don't think a total roster or coaching overhaul is going to be a step forward.

Thanks and Whodey!

I don't disagree with your premise, but the only way I see the change in the OC is if Lewis retires, and I don't believe that will happen. With Brown the way he is, my goal is that he doesn't extend Marvin this time.
Reply/Quote
1. Yes, because changing the OC in the past has solved all their issues with primetime, postseason, game management, halftime adjustments, etc. Ninja

2. Norv Turner quit on his team midseason this year, didn't he? Pass.

3. We saw this year what happens with a Turner offense behind a suspect OL. It wasn't pretty. If he can't change his scheme to help negate the bad OL, then how is he good enough to be the answer?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
So the 15th time's a charm huh ?

No thanks, It's way past time for Marvin to go.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We have had some good offensive coordinators. Same postseason results with Marvin running the show.
Reply/Quote
"What style of offense do you see benefiting the current roster?"

No Huddle/Hurry up. Whenever we go up tempo (going all the way back to Palmer days).. we succeed. It was born here for a reason.

Reply/Quote
Whatever you do.....can Piano Man.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 09:19 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: "What style of offense do you see benefiting the current roster?"

No Huddle/Hurry up. Whenever we go up tempo (going all the way back to Palmer days).. we succeed. It was born here for a reason.

Yes! Yes! Yes! I have complained bitterly about the lack of up tempo this season. It is obvious that the OC and HC won't let Dalton run it even when behind late in the game. Dalton should just say eff you and run up tempo!!! What they gonna do bench him? Cry
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 09:19 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: "What style of offense do you see benefiting the current roster?"

Crazy isn't it. Every time we squeeze out a FG or a rare TD before the end of the second half it is literally always because Dalton went no huddle and called his own plays and marched right down the field.

But then the next drive Zampese gets an ego and gets mad that Daltons plays actually freaking worked and then he goes back to his trash offense of predictable plays with a little dumb crap mixed in to try and out do Dalton. Then we don't even come close to scoring for the rest of the game. Like clockwork.

Iv said it before I think both our coordinators are egotistical losers who need to accept that the stuff they want to do isn't successful. Gunther is the main culprit of ego. Zimmer left behind the ABSOLUTE PERFECT blueprint for a defense. We had run it for YEARS and all the players were familiar with the man blitz scheme. Gunther comes in year 1 and changes the WHOLE defense. Usually you ease the team into the new stuff you wanna run game by game year by year. NOPE. Gunther's egotistical ass said screw that I'm going to implement my dumb ass 90% zone defense scheme and run it all year for most the game. If the guys don't get it **** em.....because I wanna be a head coach somewhere and the Bengals are my vehicle to do so.

Gunther's defense literally doesn't work against any good QB in the modern NFL. Its like he thinks this is 1985. Theres a reason why most the league runs man or hybrid defense mostly. Because playing zone as much as we do is freaking STUPID. I remember that NE game where Tom Brady and Gronk just ate us alive because Gunther would not stop playing zone. Remember that play against the Giants where Eli threw it to OBJ in the zone? Basically lost us the game. Remember the infamous Steeler game where we got up 1 god damn point and ran prevent zone D for literally an entire defensive possession and gave up a TD in like 4 mins. That's 3 games right there, and theres probably been more his defensive scheme have lost us but honestly I stopped watching full Bengals games after the Patriots game.
Reply/Quote
Is it just me or do people feel me on the whole Zimmer blueprint thing?

Am I the only guy who would not have changed much the year after a guy like freaking Mike Zimmer left? Dude if I was Gunther I literally would've stole that mans playbook and changed LITTLE things SLOWLY over the course of MULTIPLE games.

How we went from a decent defense to pure trash with exactly the same roster, actually Zimmer didn't have Burfict last season mostly so Gunther has the same roster PLUS Burfict minus Reggie Nelson.

Gunther came in and turned us into a zone defense team. I'm cool with that.....IF WE HAVE THE PLAYERS TO RUN IT!! We freaking DONT. None of our players have EVER been praised for having high football IQ except Burfict. So that's ONE FREAKING guy who is suited to run zone defense out of 11. And people wonder why our defense is so trash. Its too complicated for the guys, and Gunther refuses to change it. Do you think when the guy from New England retires his replacement is gonna throw away everything he did that made the Patriots great? NO. Hes gonna steal that shit and make it his own ever time.

So boom now were looking at a possible 4 or 5 win season
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 10:57 PM)Housh Wrote: Is it just me or do people feel me on the whole Zimmer blueprint thing?

Am I the only guy who would not have changed much the year after a guy like freaking Mike Zimmer left? Dude if I was Gunther I literally would've stole that mans playbook and changed LITTLE things SLOWLY over the course of MULTIPLE games.

How we went from a decent defense to pure trash with exactly the same roster, actually Zimmer didn't have Burfict last season mostly so Gunther has the same roster PLUS Burfict minus Reggie Nelson.

Gunther came in and turned us into a zone defense team. I'm cool with that.....IF WE HAVE THE PLAYERS TO RUN IT!! We freaking DONT. None of our players have EVER been praised for having high football IQ except Burfict. So that's ONE FREAKING guy who is suited to run zone defense out of 11. And people wonder why our defense is so trash. Its too complicated for the guys, and Gunther refuses to change it. Do you think when the guy from New England retires his replacement is gonna throw away everything he did that made the Patriots great? NO. Hes gonna steal that shit and make it his own ever time.

So boom now were looking at a possible 4 or 5 win season

Zimmer has been in Minny since 2014.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 05:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1. Yes, because changing the OC in the past has solved all their issues with primetime, postseason, game management, halftime adjustments, etc.  Ninja

2. Norv Turner quit on his team midseason this year, didn't he? Pass.

3. We saw this year what happens with a Turner offense behind a suspect OL. It wasn't pretty. If he can't change his scheme to help negate the bad OL, then how is he good enough to be the answer?

Would you consider not losing in the postseason this year to be an upgrade?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 12:45 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Would you consider not losing in the postseason this year to be an upgrade?

What in the heck does that have to do with keeping Lewis here for a 15th season because Nov Turner would be the solution to their problems?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm already fully prepared to see Zamp as the OC next year and not because I think he's worth a hoot, but because the front office will keep him there out of misplaced loyalty. I truly admire loyalty and wish more people even knew what it means, but in this case it's loyalty to a fault and not in a good way.
No, they'll keep him in there at least another season just like they'll keep Marvin with the reasoning that it's just a bump in the road to hell. In fact I would be surprised if they dump either of them.
I know it sounds like I'm in favor of keeping them, but anyone who thinks that is most definitely mistaken. I want to see both gone, but I hold zero sway with the team and very few of us do so they'll do what they always do and stick to the losers and give Hobson a nice pay raise to tell us all the benefits of keeping the two coaches who seem hell bent on moving us backwards in history to the 90s so that in 5 or 6 years from now they can brag about their rebuilding efforts.
I've given up on optimism. It always lets me down.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 03:27 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'm already fully prepared to see Zamp as the OC next year and not because I think he's worth a hoot, but because the front office will keep him there out of misplaced loyalty. I truly admire loyalty and wish more people even knew what it means, but in this case it's loyalty to a fault and not in a good way.
No, they'll keep him in there at least another season just like they'll keep Marvin with the reasoning that it's just a bump in the road to hell. In fact I would be surprised if they dump either of them.
I know it sounds like I'm in favor of keeping them, but anyone who thinks that is most definitely mistaken. I want to see both gone, but I hold zero sway with the team and very few of us do so they'll do what they always do and stick to the losers and give Hobson a nice pay raise to tell us all the benefits of keeping the two coaches who seem hell bent on moving us backwards in history to the 90s so that in 5 or 6 years from now they can brag about their rebuilding efforts.
I've given up on optimism. It always lets me down.

:andy: couldnt have said it better myself.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Marvin is incompetent. Guenther is a stubborn Chuck Bresnahan clone. Zampese is just a plain moron. Paul Alexander is STILL HERE for some reason.

The entire coaching staff needs to go. They have no business at their positions in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
zampese is not the problem with the offense. The O-line is the problem.

Seriously, how can you blame Zampese for our red zone problems when we can not gain a single yard rushhing onm most plays inside the 10 yard line.

I'd rather replace Marvin and keep Zampese than the other way around.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 09:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: Whatever you do.....can Piano Man.

Yep. I'd rather keep Marvin and can PA than vice-versa. That's saying something.

(12-04-2016, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: zampese is not the problem with the offense.  The O-line is the problem.

Seriously, how can you blame Zampese for our red zone problems when we can not gain a single yard rushhing onm most plays inside the 10 yard line.

I'd rather replace Marvin and keep Zampese than the other way around.

Agreed. I haven't exactly been thrilled with Zamp, but it'd be unfair to judge him too harshly with this o-line. Marv could make PA his fall guy, and I'd almost be okay with that. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 01:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yep. I'd rather keep Marvin and can PA than vice-versa. That's saying something.

Agreed. I haven't exactly been thrilled with Zamp, but it'd be unfair to judge him too harshly with this o-line. Marv could make PA his fall guy, and I'd almost be okay with that. 

He could, but it would be very un-like Marvin... At least, I would be surprised if a bus came by, (theoretically speaking) and Paul Alexander would be shoved in front of it by Marvin...

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 05:32 PM)PDub80 Wrote: But I think that the only thing that needs replaced in the off-season should be the OC. And I think that Norv Turner would be the best candidate to do so.

Replace the kicker
Grab a strong OC.

Thanks and Whodey!

It's all on Marv. Keeping Og in the starting line up after the first half of the first game and not doing something about the kicking problems has cost this team dearly this season. In fact, it has cost us at least a share of the division lead, if not the division lead outright. Those close games were lost by missed kicks and prematurely ending drives.

Ray Charles could have seen what was going on it was that obvious.

Reply/Quote