Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I caught up with Paulie G. at the Senior Bowl
It was the first time anyone got a chance to talk to him since his entire defensive staff changed.

So, the natural questions were - what happened? And are you comfortable with this? Paulie G. answered that here (read/share).

Since y'all are my people, I'll give you a little more context.
He liked the fact that Burney worked for Marvin in Baltimore, and he said he had Haslett on his 'wish list' should he ever interview for a head coaching job. Ran into Haslett and Burney, too, but they wanted to stay off record until they got comfortable. They're excited. Haslett insisted he didn't want to be a coordinator and turned down a couple DC offers and is looking forward to getting back to the basics of position coaching.

I couldn't find Coyle, but Guenther said obviously the appeal there was he used to be a DC and his familiarity with the system.

I've got some stuff going on this weekend but I'll circle back to the "ask Jim" thread next week.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the update Jim.

I am really liking the Burney acquisition, sounds like he has some passion. Something i never really saw with Hayes.

Haslett is warming up to me, originally what Fletcher said turned me off cause of my respect for London, but for Haslett
to be turning down DC positions says a lot to me and he has tons of experience. Hopefully we get a talented Linebacker
to put next to Burfict for him.

Loved bringing back Coyle.
Reply/Quote
Did you keep mentioning Sheldon Rankins or Jarran Reed's name? If you do, that'd be fantastic.
Reply/Quote
Whatever happened to pass rush guru Chuck Smith? Wasn't he here last year as some sort of a coaching assistant?
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Whatever happened to pass rush guru Chuck Smith?  Wasn't he here last year as some sort of a coaching assistant?

I thought he was just here for the preseason.  Seems like he might have made his mark.  Dunlap had his best year and even Peko had five sacks.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The word I kept noticing was experience and it seems to be the big difference from the old coaches to the new.

To have guys who have been in the same shoes as Guenther must be pretty valuable to him. While guys like Hayes had a ton of experience in one position you gotta wonder if their input seemed a bit limited.

Zimmer also said he appreciated that out of Pat Shurmur when he talked about bringing him in.
Reply/Quote
We actually got more of an answer out of Bellicheat on why they had coaches leave than what we have been given. Was any of our guys contracts up and we decided not to renew? Whose decision were these moves? Ours front office or the coaches wanting out?
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling that Haslet will be great for Vontaz. Just because he is willing to get into his face.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 01:47 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We actually got more of an answer out of Bellicheat on why they had coaches leave than what we have been given. Was any of our guys contracts up and we decided not to renew? Whose decision were these moves? Ours front office or the coaches wanting out?

It was just so rude of Mike Brown not to call you and give you the the details. Ninja
Reply/Quote
NATI BENGA Wrote:We actually got more of an answer out of Bellicheat on why they had coaches leave than what we have been given. Was any of our guys contracts up and we decided not to renew? Whose decision were these moves? Ours front office or the coaches wanting out?

Marvin doesn't want to ever tell the media anything. Besides its not like he hasn't been almost perfect in hiring coaches of late anyway .

I got the feeling after listening to the BBP that VJ and Burke's contracts were up and that Hayes left to pursue a chance to move up: I think with Coyle most likely coming back that he knew he wouldn't be the next up as DC and saw the writing on the wall.
Reply/Quote
Good stuff. Thanks for the info.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes, Hayes/Burke left because their contracts were up. Burke and VJ were tight - they came in together and their contracts were up together. Hayes' contract was up, too, and it's safe to say he got a better offer. Carrier, it was just time, really.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
good read, thanks for the update.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
good update, thanks for posting.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Good updates, thanks for sharing on the boards!
Reply/Quote
Yes. I, too, appreciate the insider updates.
Reply/Quote
Did you have to run very fast to catch him? I couldn't imagine you did.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2016, 09:21 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Did you have to run very fast to catch him? I couldn't imagine you did.

Probably just stood at the deep-fried-stick-of-butter tent and waited.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote