Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I don't think you guys realize HOW GOOD JaMarr Chase is
(03-31-2021, 03:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, and has pretty damn good hands to boot. He hasn't had a very good QB his entire time at FSU, line play has been as bad as, or worse than ours. Terry would be a nice pick at WR if we go Sewell/Slater/Pitts in round 1. 

To be honest, it's been so dismal in Tallahassee for so long.....I wasn't even thinking about him. He'd be a steal for us, IMO.

Yeah, he was your lone bright spot for the most part there the year before last and that is with poor QB and OL play.
Reply/Quote
I think Sewell is going to have some struggles this year. He's a young kid, hasn't played against the best of talent and now has a year of rust. Not to mention, people are talking about moving him inside, to a position he hasn't played since High School. And fwiw, I consider OL one of the harder positions to transtion to in the NFL.

I'm not pointing this out to say he's a bad pick or he won't pan out long-term. I just think the idea of him coming in and immediately being a huge upgrade might be a tad premature. I would not at all be shocked if he's a below average starter in year 1.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:15 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: im obviously exaggerating.

but there are people clamoring for Chase because Higgins just isnt good enough. Neither is Boyd. 

Because muh "seperation"

Higgins is obviously really good, but merely putting up 1k yards (especially in an offense that throws a ton) does not equal being a true #1. We currently have two good #2’s. No DC lays awake at night worrying about stopping Tee Higgins or Tyler Boyd. We haven’t had the type of guy who DC’s have to literally game plan around since prime AJ.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I will be massively disappointed if we take a WR at #5 when a generational Tackle falls into our lap after 5 years of o-line struggles. That'd be the most Mike Brown move ever. We did that kind of crap all through the 90s.

Let's recap:

Our 2 superbowl runs featured amazing lines.
Our lines were awful for most of the 90s.
During our 5 year run of playoff appearances, line was good.
Last 5 years (all losing seasons), line was horrendous.

Carl Pickens and Darnay Scott were fun players to watch...while we went 3-13.

Thing is, I don't even view Chase as an AJ Green caliber prospect. Taking him over Sewell when we have 2 good WRs would be utterly ridiculous. Btw, where is the love for Higgins around here? That dude just had one of the best rookie seasons in Bengals history, and we act like we have some dire need at WR? I don't get it.

Sure, we need speed on the outside, but we have a pair of 1000 yard receivers on the roster. We don't need a third 1000 yard guy.

Fwiw, I think people are just fascinated with pairing Burrow with his old teammate. Burrow isn't going to toss 60 TDs in the NFL just because Chase is on the roster.

TL/DR: WR isnt as big a need as OL, and Chase is a worse prospect than Sewell.

So much truth here.  This would reek of the 90s.  Just getting the biggest flash and spectacle possible to sell tickets and not building the foundation that supports a championship.  

Also how many passing attempts are they envisioning?  Last year the league average around 70 offensive snaps per game. They threw the ball 56% of the time last year.  The Bengals would have Mixon, Higgins, Boyd, and Chase to get the ball to, who is not being utilized?  Is paying Mixon @ $11 mill per year a good deal to have him carry the ball 15 times a game?  Who don't you throw it to if they try to emphasize the run with 25 carries for Mixon? 

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Take away Marv's years and how do those numbers stack up? Also, Taking Sewell would help us fix the interior problem as well. Mike has always placed heavy value on skill position players...based on both picks and money spent retaining players. He has never valued interior line.

So yes, it is a Mike Brown way of thinking.

Not sure why we’d exclude 16 years of drafting, but the very first pick we made post-Marvin was OL.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Higgins is obviously really good, but merely putting up 1k yards (especially in an offense that throws a ton) does not equal being a true #1. We currently have two good #2’s. No DC lays awake at night worrying about stopping Tee Higgins or Tyler Boyd. We haven’t had the type of guy who DC’s have to literally game plan around since prime AJ.

well considering that he played half the season with back ups and the worst line in the league, Im not gonna go with the "they arent good enough" narrative that people like to give them. Boyd has never played a full season with a starting qb since his break out season in 2018

We dont need a new number 1.

it's not about elite receivers.

A 3 is all that is needed.

you dont have to be a deep threat in order to be an elite receiver.

Keenan Allen, one of the best receivers in the league, is a possession guy. Are chargers fans clamoring for a first round receiver?

OF COURSE NOT

A better offensive line and a better defense is what is needed
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:24 PM)Burma Wrote: So much truth here.  This would reek of the 90s.  Just getting the biggest flash and spectacle possible to sell tickets and not building the foundation that supports a championship.  

and the people here pounding the desk for Chase and Pitts are those exact people lmaoo

it's like they're conditioned

good little consumers
Reply/Quote
It’s hard to pass on Chase in this offense. I’m excited to see what he could do here with Burrow.

Wouldn’t it be awesome if they tried to trade up into the first of it Vera tucker? Snag the best receiver and snag the best IOL in the draft! Tgey cab probably sit there at 38 and get the best lineman available too, but it would show us that they are still working the offensive line
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think Sewell is going to have some struggles this year.  He's a young kid, hasn't played against the best of talent and now has a year of rust.  Not to mention, people are talking about moving him inside, to a position he hasn't played since High School.  And fwiw, I consider OL one of the harder positions to transtion to in the NFL.

I'm not pointing this out to say he's a bad pick or he won't pan out long-term.  I just think the idea of him coming in and immediately being a huge upgrade might be a tad premature.  I would not at all be shocked if he's a below average starter in year 1.

I agree, I actually think it is really premature to think he will come in and automatically be an upgrade, especially if we start 
Sewell at LT and move Jonah inside. Think people have been hard on Jonah in his first year starting, he WAS our best OL.

Sewell sometimes lets his hands get outside of the Defenders chest and holds and gets away with it. Great run blocker but I
think he may struggle pass blocking early on cause of this bad habit. Would love to pick Sewell, just saying, he might not be 
near as good for us as a rookie as say Pitts or Chase would IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I will be massively disappointed if we take a WR at #5 when a generational Tackle falls into our lap after 5 years of o-line struggles. That'd be the most Mike Brown move ever. We did that kind of crap all through the 90s.

Let's recap:

Our 2 superbowl runs featured amazing lines.
Our lines were awful for most of the 90s.
During our 5 year run of playoff appearances, line was good.
Last 5 years (all losing seasons), line was horrendous.

Carl Pickens and Darnay Scott were fun players to watch...while we went 3-13.

Thing is, I don't even view Chase as an AJ Green caliber prospect. Taking him over Sewell when we have 2 good WRs would be utterly ridiculous. Btw, where is the love for Higgins around here? That dude just had one of the best rookie seasons in Bengals history, and we act like we have some dire need at WR? I don't get it.

Sure, we need speed on the outside, but we have a pair of 1000 yard receivers on the roster. We don't need a third 1000 yard guy.

Fwiw, I think people are just fascinated with pairing Burrow with his old teammate. Burrow isn't going to toss 60 TDs in the NFL just because Chase is on the roster.

TL/DR: WR isnt as big a need as OL, and Chase is a worse prospect than Sewell.

This offense is lacking that weapon that can strike from 
Anywhere on the field and simply outrun you.
Boyd is the best chain mover around.but hes not a end zone threat. 

Higgins has potential to be a consistant 8 to 11 TDs a year kind of WR. 

None of the TEs are red zone machines. 

But this offense needs a dynamic playmaker. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:28 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This offense is lacking that weapon that can strike from 

the offense needs a running game. Quit ignoring the importance of a running game

Your point would make sense if football was played without runningbacks

But football IS played with runningbacks

A good run game and Boyd and Higgins eats up a lot of clock.

Bengals have a bad defense. It's good to have a clock eating offense
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:25 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: well considering that he played half the season with back ups and the worst line in the league, Im not gonna go with the "they arent good enough" narrative that people like to give them. Boyd has never played a full season with a starting qb since his break out season in 2018

We dont need a new number 1.

it's not about elite receivers.

A 3 is all that is needed.

you dont have to be a deep threat in order to be an elite receiver.

Keenan Allen, one of the best receivers in the league, is a possession guy. Are chargers fans clamoring for a first round receiver?

OF COURSE NOT

A better offensive line and a better defense is what is needed

They were not the worst OL in the league. Another exaggeration, or do you just not pay much attention to other teams?

The biggest problems were Jordan and Hart. One is gone, and the other is going to be a back up. That’s a good start.

Reply/Quote
I'll just add this. If Sewell falls in our laps due to an unprecedented run on QBs, and the Bengals pass on him after what happened to Burrow, they will be a laughingstock to the national media once again...and rightfully so.

If we take Chase, I'll immediately hope for Boyd to get traded, because there's no way his production will match his contract with Chase and Higgins on the roster.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They were not the worst OL in the league. Another exaggeration, or do you just not pay much attention to other teams?

The biggest problems were Jordan and Hart. One is gone, and the other is going to be a back up. That’s a good start.

ok bottom 5

now you're just being antagonistic 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'll just add this. If Sewell falls in our laps due to an unprecedented run on QBs, and the Bengals pass on him after what happened to Burrow, they will be a laughingstock to the national media once again...and rightfully so.

If we take Chase, I'll immediately hope for Boyd to get traded, because there's no way his production will match his contract with Chase and Higgins on the roster.

Why not? 3 different WR’s saw 100+ targets in Taylor’s 11 personnel last season.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not sure why we’d exclude 16 years of drafting, but the very first pick we made post-Marvin was OL.

Because Marvin is no longer here, and our drafting was different under him. In the 90s (pre-Marv), we did this kind of stuff all the time. Like I said.

(03-31-2021, 05:28 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This offense is lacking that weapon that can strike from 

We need speed. Speed can be found later. After we help solve our glaring weakness on the line that got our franchise QB injured literally last season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Because Marvin is no longer here, and our drafting was different under him. In the 90s (pre-Marv), we did this kind of stuff all the time. Like I said.

We need speed. Speed can be found later. After we help solve our glaring weakness on the line that got our franchise QB injured literally last season.

2 weaknesses. Offensive line, and defense

but no, people want to buy receiver jerseys.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:32 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: ok bottom 5

now you're just being antagonistic

Nope. It’s just annoying when people exaggerate to make their point.

Do you think a line of Jonah - Spain - Hopkins -2nd rounder - Reiff would be anywhere near as bad as when we were trotting out Hart, Jordan, Redmond, etc?

Please answer honestly.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nope. It’s just annoying when people exaggerate to make their point.

Do you think a line of Jonah - Spain - Hopkins -2nd rounder - Reiff would be anywhere near as bad as when we were trotting out Hart, Jordan, Redmond, etc?

Please answer honestly.

werent jordan and redmond playing because of injuries?

exaggerating to make my point?

by saying the bengals had the worst line?

THAT's exaggerating? It's not far off from the truth.

very annoying from you
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Because Marvin is no longer here, and our drafting was different under him. In the 90s (pre-Marv), we did this kind of stuff all the time. Like I said.

The 90’s were also (mostly) pre-Tobin. It’s hard to say they would do things the same way they did back then.

Reply/Quote