Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life
(01-29-2019, 02:22 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'd like to second that. Jackson, as far as I can tell, will set back the Raven's franchise for several years. San Diego gave the blue print for beating them and I don't see them making the playoffs again with Jackson at QB.

Imo, it was smoke and mirrors from Harbaugh. Kinda like what Hue Jackson did with McCarron, except Lamar obviously has that added dynamic of great athleticism. I wasn't impressed with his passing though, and think he'll flame out ala Kaepernick, another (Jim) Harbaugh guy that had a great run fueled by athleticism, but his limitations as a passer soon became apparent.

It's funny, I feel like Flacco put the Ravens in a tough spot with that fluky SB run. Then they desperately wanted him replaced. Now the QB they replaced him with had a fluky run that will put the Ravens in another tough spot for at least a couple years. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 04:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Imo, it was smoke and mirrors from Harbaugh. Kinda like what Hue Jackson did with McCarron, except Lamar obviously has that added dynamic of great athleticism. I wasn't impressed with his passing though, and think he'll flame out ala Kaepernick, another (Jim) Harbaugh guy that had a great run fueled by athleticism, but his limitations as a passer soon became apparent.

It's funny, I feel like Flacco put the Ravens in a tough spot with that fluky SB run. Then they desperately wanted him replaced. Now the QB they replaced him with had a fluky run that will put the Ravens in another tough spot for at least a couple years. 

I watched the Browns Ravens game the final week of the season.  The difference between Mayfield and Jackson was night and day.  Mayfield was making all kinds of throws.  He looked like a legit NFL QB.  On the other hand Jackson struggled throwing the ball.  He was able to win the game with his legs, but I don't see him making a career out of that style of play.
Reply/Quote
I don't either Fred. That just doesn't work in the NFL. At least for any length of time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 04:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I watched the Browns Ravens game the final week of the season.  The difference between Mayfield and Jackson was night and day.  Mayfield was making all kinds of throws.  He looked like a legit NFL QB.  On the other hand Jackson struggled throwing the ball.  He was able to win the game with his legs, but I don't see him making a career out of that style of play.

Trying to win the game with your legs as a QB is a good way to get them broken.
Reply/Quote
They do protect QB's more now than they did. Still I'd rather have a passer than a runner. But, just saying...he will be protected like never before.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 04:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Imo, it was smoke and mirrors from Harbaugh. Kinda like what Hue Jackson did with McCarron, except Lamar obviously has that added dynamic of great athleticism. I wasn't impressed with his passing though, and think he'll flame out ala Kaepernick, another (Jim) Harbaugh guy that had a great run fueled by athleticism, but his limitations as a passer soon became apparent.

Funny, you use Krapernick for comparison. I was thinking RG III, except with worse passing ability. I think Krapernick is probably a better comparison. At least RG III had a job last season. Next season teams will make him throw to win and he won't be able to.

(01-29-2019, 04:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I watched the Browns Ravens game the final week of the season.  The difference between Mayfield and Jackson was night and day.  Mayfield was making all kinds of throws.  He looked like a legit NFL QB.  On the other hand Jackson struggled throwing the ball.  He was able to win the game with his legs, but I don't see him making a career out of that style of play.

Yeah, Mayfield will turn out to be the better QB I am certain. Ravens' D is what got them through the season IMO.

(01-29-2019, 05:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They do protect QB's more now than they did. Still I'd rather have a passer than a runner. But, just saying...he will be protected like never before.

When you take off running as a QB you become a RB protection wise and that is as it should be cause he's half RB anyways.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 07:19 PM)BengalChris Wrote: When you take off running as a QB you become a RB protection wise and that is as it should be cause he's half RB anyways.

Ask Jeff Driskel about that. 
Reply/Quote
Boomer seems to think Dalton will be alright with new, offensive minded coaching.

https://www.bengals.com/news/super-notes-boomer-backs-dalton

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: Boomer seems to think Dalton will be alright with new, offensive minded coaching.

https://www.bengals.com/news/super-notes-boomer-backs-dalton

I knida wanna see what AD can do with different coaching. 
Reply/Quote
If we can actually learn how to pass and run block and combine it with a good scheme the results will be eye opening.
Reply/Quote

I called before the draft that Lamar Jackson was basically Terrell Pryor II. Mayfield flashed in spots but also when you look at the schedule the only defenses he played that were worth anything were the Rats and Texans. And both of them handled him pretty easily. In  fact, a lot of his statline was built on playing our "defense" twice (and that defense this last season was BAD...).
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I knida wanna see what AD can do with different coaching. 

Yes because In year 9 he will turn into an all pro with better accuracy arm strength n leadership. Yep. I can see it joe.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 10:58 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yes because In year 9 he will turn into an all pro with better accuracy arm strength n leadership. Yep. I can see it joe.

But he has shown flashes of those things his entire career. Hence Good Andy/Bad Andy. He just needs to kill bad Andy and coaching may do that. See what Hue did and the first half of this past season. Also, a decent line and running game will help out a lot. Ours has been terrible the last few years.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 10:58 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yes because In year 9 he will turn into an all pro with better accuracy arm strength n leadership. Yep. I can see it joe.

Idk about "all pro" but yes, coaching can impove a QB...especially when you switch from an old school defensive coach to an offensive minded guy.

Just peep how Carson's career turned back around once he hooked up with Arians. Or how Goff and Foles looked horrific under Jeff Fisher.

There are hundreds of examples. That's why offensive guys are popular.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Well change is a coming and one thing I have learned watching Dalton is he will continue to work hard, do what the coaches ask of him since he is a professional and continue to be a great leader on the field and in the locker room. very excited about this upcoming season for him.. just hope we can improve the line and keep healthy... if we do those two things we will be in the hunt for Division and a run in playoffs
Reply/Quote

Kenny Anderson has his best season in year 11 so...............
Reply/Quote

Hmm 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/643144-andy-dalton-2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Quote:Dalton’s strength as a passer is his accuracy. He consistently places the ball in an area that only his receiver can make the catch and does a great job leading the receiver and giving him room to run after the catch.

During his pro day workout Dalton showed excellent accuracy to every area of the field. 

A four-year starter for TCU, Dalton is a poised and tough leader who teammates will follow

And that is repeated on every report you read on the guy.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 10:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Hmm 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/643144-andy-dalton-2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report

And that is repeated on every report you read on the guy.

Sometimes, people have deeply entrenched ideas that they get so hung up on, no amount of convincing will ever change their minds.  I think that is the case with most people who don't like Dalton.  He's not Joe Montana, but he's not Ryan Leaf either.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 02:47 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well change is a coming and one thing I have learned watching Dalton is he will continue to work hard, do what the coaches ask of him since he is a professional  and continue to be a great leader on the field and in the locker room.  very excited about this upcoming season for him.. just hope we can improve the line and keep healthy... if we do those two things we will be in the hunt for Division and a run in playoffs

Right, I don't know where this leadership bullshit comes from.  People need to listen to AJ Green sometimes.  Sure, he doesn't have the rocket arm, and that leads to some missed deep throws, but he's accurate overall, and leads by example and calming guys down in the huddle.

I get people don't like the guy, for whatever reason, but don't just make shit up, or parrot other bullshit you've read on here.  The sources and the numbers just don't back it up.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 10:47 AM)Earendil Wrote: Sometimes, people have deeply entrenched ideas that they get so hung up on, no amount of convincing will ever change their minds.  I think that is the case with most people who don't like Dalton.  He's not Joe Montana, but he's not Ryan Leaf either.

You're exactly right.  I read an article about him the other day that summed it up perfectly.  He's solid.  You can do a helluva lot worse than solid, and you can do better.  I get criticizing bad performances and the like, but I don't understand the outright hate some have for the guy.  He's been one of the franchise's all time greats, whether people like it or not.

Reply/Quote