Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I fit the description….
http://artandeverythingafter.com/i-fit-the-description/

Quote:I fit the description….

[Image: IMG_3854.jpg]This is what I wore to work today.

On my way to get a burrito before work, I was detained by the police.

I noticed the police car in the public lot behind Centre Street.  As I was walking away from my car, the cruiser followed me.  I walked down Centre Street and was about to cross over to the burrito place and the officer got out of the car.

“Hey my man,” he said.

He unsnapped the holster of his gun.

I took my hands out of my pockets.

“Yes?”  I said.

“Where you coming from?”

“Home.”

Where’s home?”

“Dedham.”

How’d you get here?”

“I drove.”

He was next to me now.  Two other police cars pulled up.  I was standing in from of the bank across the street from the burrito place.  I was going to get lunch before I taught my 1:30 class.  There were cops all around me.

I said nothing.  I looked at the officer who addressed me.  He was white, stocky, bearded.

“You weren’t over there, were you?” He pointed down Centre Street toward Hyde Square.

“No. I came from Dedham.”

“What’s your address?”

I told him.

“We had someone matching your description just try to break into a woman’s house.”

A second police officer stood next to me; white, tall, bearded.  Two police cruisers passed and would continue to circle the block for the 35 minutes I was standing across the street from the burrito place.

“You fit the description,” the officer said. “Black male, knit hat, puffy coat.  Do you have identification.”

“It’s in my wallet.  May I reach into my pocket and get my wallet?”

“Yeah.”

I handed him my license.  I told him it did not have my current address.  He walked over to a police car.  The other cop, taller, wearing sunglasses, told me that I fit the description of someone who broke into a woman’s house.  Right down to the knit cap.

Barbara Sullivan
 made a knit cap for me.  She knitted it in pinks and browns and blues and oranges and lime green.  No one has a hat like this. It doesn’t fit any description that anyone would have.  I looked at the second cop.  I clasped my hands in front of me to stop them from shaking.

“For the record,” I said to the second cop, “I’m not a criminal.  I’m a college professor.”  I was wearing my faculty ID around my neck, clearly visible with my photo.

“You fit the description so we just have to check it out.”  The first cop returned and handed me my license.

“We have the victim and we need her to take a look at you to see if you are the person.”

It was at this moment that I knew that I was probably going to die.  I am not being dramatic when I say this.  I was not going to get into a police car.  I was not going to present myself to some victim.  I was not going let someone tell the cops that I was not guilty when I already told them that I had nothing to do with any robbery.  I was not going to let them take me anywhere because if they did, the chance I was going to be accused of something I did not do rose exponentially.  I knew this in my heart.  I was not going anywhere with these cops and I was not going to let some white woman decide whether or not I was a criminal, especially after I told them that I was not a criminal.  This meant that I was going to resist arrest.  This meant that I was not going to let the police put their hands on me.

If you are wondering why people don’t go with the police, I hope this explains it for you.

Something weird happens when you are on the street being detained by the police.  People look at you like you are a criminal.  The police are detaining you so clearly you must have done something, otherwise they wouldn’t have you.  No one made eye contact with me.  I was hoping that someone I knew would walk down the street or come out of one of the shops or get off the 39 bus or come out of JP Licks and say to these cops, “That’s Steve Locke.  What the **** are you detaining him for?”

The cops decided that they would bring the victim to come view me on the street.  The asked me to wait. I said nothing.  I stood still.

“Thanks for cooperating,” the second cop said. “This is probably nothing, but it’s our job and you do fit the description.  5′ 11″, black male.  One-hundred-and-sixty pounds, but you’re a little more than that.  Knit hat.”

A little more than 160. Thanks for that, I thought.

An older white woman walked behind me and up to the second cop.  She turned and looked at me and then back at him.  “You guys sure are busy today.”

I noticed a black woman further down the block.  She was small and concerned.  She was watching what was going on.  I focused on her red coat.  I slowed my breathing.  I looked at her from time to time.

I thought: Don’t leave, sister. Please don’t leave.

The first cop said, “Where do you teach?”

“Massachusetts College of Art and Design.”  I tugged at the lanyard that had my ID.

“How long you been teaching there?”

“Thirteen years.”

We stood in silence for about 10 more minutes.

An unmarked police car pulled up.  The first cop went over to talk to the driver.  The driver kept looking at me as the cop spoke to him.  I looked directly at the driver.  He got out of the car.

“I’m Detective Cardoza.  I appreciate your cooperation.”

I said nothing.

“I’m sure these officers told you what is going on?”

“They did.”

“Where are you coming from?”

“From my home in Dedham.”

“How did you get here?”

“I drove.”

“Where is your car?”

“It’s in the lot behind Bukhara.”  I pointed up Centre Street.

“Okay,” the detective said.  “We’re going to let you go.  Do you have a car key you can show me?”

“Yes,” I said.  “I’m going to reach into my pocket and pull out my car key.”

“Okay.”

I showed him the key to my car.

The cops thanked me for my cooperation.  I nodded and turned to go.

“Sorry for screwing up your lunch break,” the second cop said.

I walked back toward my car, away from the burrito place.  I saw the woman in red.

“Thank you,” I said to her.  “Thank you for staying.”

“Are you ok?”  She said.  Her small beautiful face was lined with concern.

“Not really.  I’m really shook up.  And I have to get to work.”

“I knew something was wrong.  I was watching the whole thing.  The way they are treating us now, you have to watch them. ”

“I’m so grateful you were there.  I kept thinking to myself, ‘Don’t leave, sister.’  May I give you a hug?”

“Yes,” she said. She held me as I shook.  “Are you sure you are ok?”

“No I’m not.  I’m going to have a good cry in my car.  I have to go teach.”

“You’re at MassArt. My friend is at MassArt.”

“What’s your name?”  She told me.  I realized we were Facebook friends.  I told her this.

“I’ll check in with you on Facebook,” she said.

I put my head down and walked to my car.

My colleague was in our shared office and she was able to calm me down.  I had about 45 minutes until my class began and I had to teach.  I forgot the lesson I had planned.  I forget the schedule.  I couldn’t think about how to do my job.  I thought about the fact my word counted for nothing, they didn’t believe that I wasn’t a criminal.  They had to find out.  My word was not enough for them. My ID was not enough for them.  My handmade one-of-a-kind knit hat was an object of suspicion.  My Ralph Lauren quilted blazer was only a “puffy coat.”  That white woman could just walk up to a cop and talk about me like I was an object for regard.  I wanted to go back and spit in their faces.  The cops were probably deeply satisfied with how they handled the interaction, how they didn’t escalate the situation, how they were respectful and polite.

I imagined sitting in the back of a police car while a white woman decides if I am a criminal or not.  If I looked guilty being detained by the cops imagine how vile I become sitting in a cruiser?  I knew I could not let that happen to me.  I knew if that were to happen, I would be dead.

Nothing I am, nothing I do, nothing I have means anything because I fit the description.

I had to confess to my students that I was a bit out of it today and I asked them to bear with me.  I had to teach.

After class I was supposed to go to the openings for First Friday. I went home.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
If you know you did nothing wrong. Why would the thought of resisting even cross your mind?

I've been rounded up and had to stand in front of a cop car while a victim got a look at me because i fit the description and was in the area. It is probably uncomfortable for anyone in that situation.

Suspect in the area black male 5'11" knit hat. Possible match.

Innocent. Cooperated. Let the cops do their job. Went about his business.

So this highly educated college professor considered resisting arrest while on his lunch break. Why? Wtf is wrong with cooperating with police.
Quote:I was not going to let some white woman decide whether or not I was a criminal, especially after I told them that I was not a criminal. This meant that I was going to resist arrest

Wow, I'm a little annoyed with myself. I've arrested numerous people who told me they weren't a criminal. All this time I was supposed to just believe them and let them go.

Thanks for posting this, "I actually like LEO's". It perfectly illustrates just how stupid the "debate" on this topic has gotten.
Full Definition of empathy
1: the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it

2: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
"I imagined sitting in the back of a police car while a white woman decides if I am a criminal or not."

The irony of the implied racism in that statement is thick. And, apparently, that "white woman" did come and look at him - and not only is he not dead, but wasn't even arrested.
--------------------------------------------------------

The dude is a racist and narcissist.
(09-25-2016, 01:54 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Wow, I'm a little annoyed with myself.  I've arrested numerous people who told me they weren't a criminal.  All this time I was supposed to just believe them and let them go.  

Thanks for posting this, "I actually like LEO's".  It perfectly illustrates just how stupid the "debate" on this topic has gotten.

He showed his ID, they could have easily checked it and his story and sent him on his way but even knowing who he was and what he did for a living they waited until the witness came along to verify it was not the suspect they were looking for.

Yeah, I'd be pissed too.

But then I'm white so that won't happen to me.

How you took an article about how a man was treated just because he was black and made into all officers are racist is beyond me.  But then you have to attack me because I won't follow your orders I guess.  Maybe you're just having a bad day?
(09-25-2016, 06:56 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Full Definition of empathy
1:  the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it

2:  the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also :  the capacity for this

That is lost on people who think because we say "all men are created equal" they are all treated that way.

They want to close their eyes and ears to anything outside of "everything is fine except when those other people start causing trouble".
(09-25-2016, 12:10 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If you know you did nothing wrong. Why would the thought of resisting even cross your mind?

I've been rounded up and had to stand in front of a cop car while a victim got a look at me because i fit the description and was in the area. It is probably uncomfortable for anyone in that situation.

Suspect in the area black male 5'11" knit hat. Possible match.

Innocent. Cooperated. Let the cops do their job. Went about his business.

So this highly educated college professor considered resisting arrest while on his lunch break. Why? Wtf is wrong with cooperating with police.

This highly educated college professor knew that even with his Id and the officer's ability to check his alibi they still wanted the witness to see him first.

So totally innocent but at the mercy of someone who says they can pick you out just by looking at you.  Heck even the officers picked up the wrong guy based on her description.

No matter what evidence he had already presented he would have gone to jail because one other person identified him.

If you think that wouldn't cause a sane man to run I can't convince you.
(09-25-2016, 09:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: This highly educated college professor knew that even with his Id and the officer's ability to check his alibi they still wanted the witness to see him first.

So totally innocent but at the mercy of someone who says they can pick you out just by looking at you.  Heck even the officers picked up the wrong guy based on her description.

No matter what evidence he had already presented he would have gone to jail because one other person identified him.

First, please explain how the cops could check his alibi in a manner that was quicker than having the witness ID him.

No sane man would run from the police even if they were falsely IDed.

Thanks for posting yet again more evidence that if you cooperate with the police, you'll generally be fine. Too bad this racist, anti-cop teacher didn't learn that lesson.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk
(09-25-2016, 10:10 AM)PhilHos Wrote: First, please explain how the cops could check his alibi in a manner that was quicker than having the witness ID him.

No sane man would run from the police even if they were falsely IDed.

Thanks for posting yet again more evidence that if you cooperate with the police, you'll generally be fine. Too bad this racist, anti-cop teacher didn't learn that lesson.

They had his Id.  He had his college ID around his neck.  One call.  Problem solved.

How many people have gone to jail over a bad witness?

And unless you are him you don't know his life experiences.  And unless you are black you aren't even remotely afraid of the police in that situation.

The man was brutally honest and still considered a suspect because he had a knit hat and "puffy coat". 

Too bad people can't understand that.

Its not to say police are bad...its to say that if you are black in America you have a different experience with how the police treat people like you.   And even well educated, innocent people can become fearful.

You're right though.  He did everything the right way.  There is a lesson there.

Like if you put your hands up on the way back to your vehicle you shouldn't be shot.

Like when you tell the officer you have a legal weapon in the vehicle and are reaching for your ID you shouldn't be shot.

Like when you are arrested and put in the back of a van for you should die on the way there of a broken neck.

Just do what the nice officers tell you and wait for the one witness to come and say you are guilty anyway and spend some time in jail.  It will be alright in the end.
(09-25-2016, 10:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: They had his Id.  He had his college ID around his neck.  One call.  Problem solved.

How many people have gone to jail over a bad witness?

Our system isn't perfect but do you have a better one? Maybe only arrest people that are caught in the act? Let criminals go free because sometimes witnesses are wrong?

(09-25-2016, 10:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: And unless you are him you don't know his life experiences.  And unless you are black you aren't even remotely afraid of the police in that situation.

No? The few times I've been pulled over by the police I've been nervous. But I'm not black so I guess that matters some reason.

If you're black and have done nothing wrong and you're that scared of police, you're a moron that falls for all the crap that's spewed in the media.

(09-25-2016, 10:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: The man was brutally honest and still considered a suspect because he had a knit hat and "puffy coat". 

It's called fitting a description. Guess what? It happens to white people too. Did you know that? White people fit descriptions too. I'll grant you not as much because white people don't commit as much crime but it still happens.

(09-25-2016, 10:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: Too bad people can't understand that.

Yeah! Stupid police looking for a criminal. How dare they stop someone who matches the description of the criminal. Clearly they should've stopped everyone regardless of race, gender, out clothing. Rolleyes

(09-25-2016, 10:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: Its not to say police are bad...its to say that if you are black in America you have a different experience with how the police treat people like you.   And even well educated, innocent people can become fearful.

By the guy's own words, the police didn't mistreat this guy. Heck,they didn't even force him to go to the witness but had the witness come to him.

(09-25-2016, 10:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: You're right though.  He did everything the right way.  There is a lesson there.

And yet here you are complaining.

(09-25-2016, 10:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: Like if you put your hands up on the way back to your vehicle you shouldn't be shot.

Like when you tell the officer you have a legal weapon in the vehicle and are reaching for your ID you shouldn't be shot.

Like when you are arrested and put in the back of a van for you should die on the way there of a broken neck.

And all but maybe one of those, the person would still be alive if they fully cooperated with police. Thanks again for proving the point.

(09-25-2016, 10:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: Just do what the nice officers tell you and wait for the one witness to come and say you are guilty anyway and spend some time in jail.  It will be alright in the end.

Except the witness came and did NOT ID him as the perpetrator and the guy spent zero time in jail. Soooooooo bullshit point is bullshit?

(09-25-2016, 10:37 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Guess what? It happens to white people too. Did you know that? White people fit descriptions too. I'll grant you not as much because white people don't commit as much crime but it still happens.

I've been detained and even held at gunpoint.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(09-25-2016, 10:37 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Our system isn't perfect but do you have a better one? Maybe only arrest people that are caught in the act? Let criminals go free because sometimes witnesses are wrong?

No? The few times I've been pulled over by the police I've been nervous. But I'm not black so I guess that matters some reason.

If you're black and have done nothing wrong and you're that scared of police, you're a moron that falls for all the crap that's spewed in the media.

It's called fitting a description. Guess what? It happens to white people too. Did you know that? White people fit descriptions too.   I'll grant you not as much because white people don't  commit as much crime but it still happens.

Yeah! Stupid police looking for a criminal. How dare they stop someone who matches the description of the criminal. Clearly they should've stopped everyone regardless of race, gender, out clothing.  Rolleyes

By the guy's  own words, the police didn't mistreat this guy. Heck,they didn't even force him to go to the witness but had the witness come to him.

And yet here you are complaining.

And all but maybe one of those, the person would still be alive if they fully cooperated with police. Thanks again for proving the point.

Except the witness came and did NOT ID him as the perpetrator and the guy spent zero time in jail. Soooooooo bullshit point is bullshit?

Glad you can completely ignore HIS experience because...he lived to tell about it.
(09-25-2016, 10:59 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I've been detained and even held at gunpoint.

why?
(09-25-2016, 11:28 AM)GMDino Wrote: why?
Wrong place, wrong time, a couple of times.
I've been stopped on the street at night (walking in an upscale neighborhood), just for an ID check.
I guess I appear to be an unsavory character.
Heck, I went to Federal court with a friend (I wasn't on trial, at all) and they put a Federal Marshal in the row ahead of me, and one behind.
There were only 8 people total in the room.
Dunno...

I guess I'll take it as a compliment.

(09-25-2016, 09:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: He showed his ID, they could have easily checked it and his story and sent him on his way but even knowing who he was and what he did for a living they waited until the witness came along to verify it was not the suspect they were looking for.

Yeah, I'd be pissed too.

But then I'm white so that won't happen to me.

How you took an article about how a man was treated just because he was black and made into all officers are racist is beyond me.  But then you have to attack me because I won't follow your orders I guess.  Maybe you're just having a bad day?

The guy should be mad at the other guy that was a criminal. The police never touched him. Held him for long enough to verify he was not the suspect and everyone went about their day. I understand his concern, but it's focused in the wrong direction. HE was the one convinced he was going to die because HE was not going to let police do their job. 

Turns out, there was no need for concern and he was able to go about the rest of his day. He assumed the worst and had zero respect for how the situation unfolded, even stating he wanted to go back and spit in their face because they didn't just take his word for it. More than likely, this situation is only going to harden him more against police and if he's ever detained again, the outcome may be totally different and it may be totally on him because of it. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(09-25-2016, 09:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: This highly educated college professor knew that even with his Id and the officer's ability to check his alibi they still wanted the witness to see him first.

White collar professionals never commit crimes?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
I Fit The Description...

I was driving my pickup truck in the OTR back in 2001 making a late night delivery to a print shop. I pulled off of Central Parkway onto another street then turned down a back street and parked the truck. Instantly, I was blocked by three police cars, one in front, one behind and one along side with those bright lights shinning in my face. 

A police officer walked up to the side of my truck and about 5 feet away he had his hand on his gun saying, "Put your hands on the steering wheel and don't move". Of course, I didn't move and I told him my liscense and insurance were in my arm rest. He told me to "Get out of the truck and keep your hands where I can see them". I opened the car door, got out and had my hands up...I knew I was going to die, I just knew it.

The officer said "You fit the description of those who like to come down here and buy drugs. There was an accident earlier tonight where a white guy was driving a pickup truck and hit a lady crossing the street then took off. We're you in an accident earlier tonight?"

I said, "No, I'm down here making a delivery to that business right there. Here's the package, my clip board with the address and you can call my dispatcher on the CB to confirm everywhere I've been today".

Then the officer asked to search my truck and I said "Go ahead". That's when one of the guys working for the business came out and asked what was going on. As I was handcuffed, sitting on the curb I said, "your package is right there on the hood, ask this police officer if you can take it, sign the clip board, print your name and put the time down for me please. Also, could you call my dispatcher and let him know I'm being detained by the police?"

After about 20 minutes, the police officer finally said I could go and I radioed in to my dispatcher to tell him the package was delivered and that I was done for the day. After a 15 hour day of messing with Cincinnati traffic, I was ready to go home.

Another night I was busting ass up Johnson Fork Road in Indiana on my way home. I was pulled over by a police officer and thought I was going to get a ticket. I was told to get out of the truck and that "I fit the description of someone who eluded another police officer not that long ago.

After about 30 minutes, another police car pulled up and automatically the other police officer said, "That's not him" and I was sent on my way with a warning of "Slow down".

I wonder, is this racial profiling?
(09-25-2016, 11:27 AM)GMDino Wrote: Glad you can completely ignore HIS experience because...he lived to tell about it.

I'm not the one ignoring it. You and he are.

Or are you saying it's better to try to run from the police even though you're not guilty of any crime? Dude said he KNEW he was going to die, clearly he should've attacked the police and tried to kill the first. Rolleyes