Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a feeling Marvin will be back...
Some players show support for him returning and he told the local media in the post game that everyone was “counting him out.” Or something along those lines....

https://www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2017/12/28/16825238/bengals-bytes-12-28-some-players-show-support-for-marvin-lewis-to-return-next-season#click=https://t.co/Xa9VVyeUmq

If he does return this makes my decision to stop supporting this franchise a lot easier, then again a new coach won’t change much anyways with the garbage owner that “us” fans are stuck with until he dies or retires.
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 10:31 AM)Trademark Wrote: Some players show support for him returning and he told the local media in the post game that everyone was “counting him out.” Or something along those lines....

https://www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2017/12/28/16825238/bengals-bytes-12-28-some-players-show-support-for-marvin-lewis-to-return-next-season#click=https://t.co/Xa9VVyeUmq

If he does return this makes my decision to stop supporting this franchise a lot easier, then again a new coach won’t change much anyways with the garbage owner that “us” fans are stuck with until he dies or retires.

If the Bengals win or at least show competitiveness in this last game, he will probably be back. And I'm with you, until BOTH Marv and the Browns step down, I will look elsewhere to cheer until this happens. I love the players we have, but their potential is being held back by the ones who call the shots.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
If that happens with the way this season went down, it's a sure sign that keeping their little circle jerk together matters more than pursuing a SB, as if we didn't already know.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Everything Marv has said and done this year screams of being burned out and fed up. He won't be back, but it will be his decision, which is pathetic. MB should have fired him after the Chargers playoff loss.
Reply/Quote
you're crazy if you think he will be back. does this not feel like the end to you? this is the only time it has truly felt DIFFERENT.
Reply/Quote
I don't know how they keep him at this point. Mike Brown can't possibly think it would help game attendance next year.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 10:31 AM)Trademark Wrote: Some players show support for him returning and he told the local media in the post game that everyone was “counting him out.” Or something along those lines....

I disagree. I think people are underestimating how bad of a gameday coach Marvin Lewis is. A new coach could do wonders for this team... If nothing else, we'll likely see some much needed in-game adjustments.

As for the players sticking up for him, what do you expect them to say? He's still technically their coach for a few more days, they'd be stupid to talk down on him. It's bad PR to say something along the lines of, "Coach Lewis wants out? Good! Get lost!"

... But yeah, you're probably right. Hard to see this team winning anything substantial as long as Mike brown is involved in any capacity. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 11:00 AM)McC Wrote: If that happens with the way this season went down, it's a sure sign that keeping their little circle jerk together matters more than pursuing a SB, as if we didn't already know.

This
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 10:56 AM)Interceptor Wrote:  until BOTH Marv and the Browns step down, I will look elsewhere to cheer until this happens. 

You do realize that if the "Browns" step down as owners, the team is likely gone, right? Why would a new owner stay in Cincinnati....
Reply/Quote

No, i highly doubt Marv is back. This is just showing respect for him as he is out the door from the players.

Nothing more.

But if he is back and PA i won't purchase any Bengal gear for a long damn time.

Honestly i see Jay Gruden as the next HC and i would be okay with that.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 02:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You do realize that if the "Browns" step down as owners, the team is likely gone, right? Why would a new owner stay in Cincinnati....

Better to have no product than a bad product. It would save the fans and community from grief.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 11:05 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Everything Marv has said and done this year screams of being burned out and fed up. He won't be back, but it will be his decision, which is pathetic.  MB should have fired him after the Chargers playoff loss.

I remember similar talk back in 2010 about Marv looking fed up. We all know how that turned out. 

I think the only thing Marv is fed up with is not having the contract extension he asked for back in January. I don't believe he's suddenly burned out 11 months later. He's just pissed that his future is unsettled. I do think Marv will be done with coaching if it's not in Cincy, but he wants to keep his current job. I'd bet on that. If the Brown family wants him back, he'll be back. If they don't, Marv will roll into the sunset or take a job overseeing operations ala Mike Holmgren with the Browns or The Big Tuna with the Dolphins. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I remember similar talk back in 2010 about Marv looking fed up. We all know how that turned out. 

I think the only thing Marv is fed up with is not having the contract extension he asked for back in January. I don't believe he's suddenly burned out 11 months later. He's just pissed that his future is unsettled. I do think Marv will be done with coaching if it's not in Cincy, but he wants to keep his current job. I'd bet on that. If the Brown family wants him back, he'll be back. If they don't, Marv will roll into the sunset or take a job overseeing operations ala Mike Holmgren with the Browns or The Big Tuna with the Dolphins. 

Those two at least had Super Bowl success on their side when given a FO job.

I meant he was fed up and burned out with being in Cincy, not coaching in general. I don’t recall Marv ever in his 14 prior years throwing so many players under the bus. He’s usually been very protective of his players. That’s what leads me to believe he knows he’s not coming back here.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:04 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Those two at least had Super Bowl success on their side when given a FO job.

I meant he was fed up and burned out with being in Cincy, not coaching in general. I don’t recall Marv ever in his 14 prior years throwing so many players under the bus. He’s usually been very protective of his players. That’s what leads me to believe he knows he’s not coming back here.

I don't think he's burned out with either one. I think he's just pissed that he didn't get his extension and his future is unsettled. He's lashed out at players before, specifically 2010 when he turned hard on Chad and had rookie Dunlap in his dog house. The lashing out is just Marv looking out for #1. It's like a dog when it gets backed into a corner. He senses his livelihood is at stake, and he's lashing out because of it.

I think Marv is quite comfortable in his current situation and wouldn't want to start over elsewhere...but he's not necessarily burned out on Cincy or coaching in general. Just my opinion.

As for the FO stuff, I'm not saying anyone would hire him. That said, 7 playoff appearances and division experience has to look enticing to a team like the Browns.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think he's burned out with either one. I think he's just pissed that he didn't get his extension and his future is unsettled. He's lashed out at players before, specifically 2010 when he turned hard on Chad and had rookie Dunlap in his dog house. The lashing out is just Marv looking out for #1. It's like a dog when it gets backed into a corner. He senses his livelihood is at stake, and he's lashing out because of it.

I think Marv is quite comfortable in his current situation and wouldn't want to start over elsewhere...but he's not necessarily burned out on Cincy or coaching in general. Just my opinion.

As for the FO stuff, I'm not saying anyone would hire him. That said, 7 playoff appearances and division experience has to look enticing to a team like the Browns.

Interesting, but way to get an extension Marv. Sabotage your own team, that is the way.

That will get it for you.

Comes off like a spoiled punk honestly.

Have to admit, he has looked both pissed off and tired this year.

Problem is, it is HIS fault that things are the way they are.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think he's burned out with either one. I think he's just pissed that he didn't get his extension and his future is unsettled. He's lashed out at players before, specifically 2010 when he turned hard on Chad and had rookie Dunlap in his dog house. The lashing out is just Marv looking out for #1. It's like a dog when it gets backed into a corner. He senses his livelihood is at stake, and he's lashing out because of it.

I disagree - I know, it feels weird to me, too - but this just feels different than 2010. Maybe time has dulled my memory, but I don't really remember having that feeling of Merv being gone or that Merv was done with the team. This year, since like the 3rd or 4th game, I've had this feeling that Merv is just going through the motions, that he doesn't really have his heart in it. I truly feel like he's done with coaching the Bengals and probably coaching in general (at least, he'll take some time off - like a year - to recharge before taking on another coaching opportunity).

I do agree that if he wants to be a head coach elsewhere, he'll be a head coach elsewhere.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Interesting, but way to get an extension Marv. Sabotage your own team, that is the way.

That will get it for you.

Comes off like a spoiled punk honestly.

Have to admit, he has looked both pissed off and tired this year.

Problem is, it is HIS fault that things are the way they are.
I wonder if Lewis has the balls to tell Brown, "I brought you out of the dark ages and gave you a little respectability. now we do it my way or I am gone" 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:58 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I disagree - I know, it feels weird to me, too - but this just feels different than 2010. Maybe time has dulled my memory, but I don't really remember having that feeling of Merv being gone or that Merv was done with the team. This year, since like the 3rd or 4th game, I've had this feeling that Merv is just going through the motions, that he doesn't really have his heart in it. I truly feel like he's done with coaching the Bengals and probably coaching in general (at least, he'll take some time off - like a year - to recharge before taking on another coaching opportunity).

I do agree that if he wants to be a head coach elsewhere, he'll be a head coach elsewhere.

This is my gut feeling as well. Plus wasn't 2010 the holdout year or whatever?

MB probably didn't want to start over that Offseason with a new HC and QB.

(12-28-2017, 05:05 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I wonder if Lewis has the balls to tell Brown, "I brought you out of the dark ages and gave you a little respectability. now we do it my way or I am gone" 

Eh, Marv's way is clearly not working, he has little to stand on. I mean 0-7 in the playoffs?

We could hire a new coach this year and if he won one playoff game he would be more successful of a Head Coach.
Reply/Quote
I don't know why this would be surprising. 15 years. 15. No playoff wins, 7 appearances. Think about it.
Reply/Quote
He will not be back. That is his choice though, which is crazy considering he should have been fired 3 or 4 times by now.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote