Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have doubts…
A month ago I was all aboard the Fuaga train.

As we get closer to the pick I have questions.

Someone resell me on Fuaga…..

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'm going to call bullshit on that guy. The same movement skills that he said made Fuaga an elite run blocker in a Zone Scheme, he also used to contradict himself when talking about Fuaga in Pass Protection.

In fact, he kind of reminds me of that guy that used to show up on here around draft time, promising everyone "his" scouting reports on prospects, and they never actually arrived until after the guys from the major services had put theirs out, and he parroted the ones that favored his players.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
FWIW Goodberry is high on him.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 10:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: FWIW Goodberry is high on him.

Yes, that Youtuber that the OP posted is obviously being paid by someone to put out a negative reflection of Fuaga's skills.  The guy is very amateur, yet does his best to sound seasoned. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The big concern with Fuaga is 34" is the desired arm length threshold in the NFL and he is very short armed for the position at 33-1/8". That, combined with a very top heavy T class, could be a reason some may see him as a G. As a comparison, a fair number of people projected Jonah Williams as a G and he had 33-5/8" arms. Fuaga probably projects better as a T due to being a better athlete, I would think.

The big question is, with so many other top T prospects that do check all the boxes, do you gamble on the guy with short arms or maybe take a safer pick?
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 12:11 AM)Whatever Wrote: The big concern with Fuaga is 34" is the desired arm length threshold in the NFL and he is very short armed for the position at 33-1/8".  That, combined with a very top heavy T class, could be a reason some may see him as a G.  As a comparison, a fair number of people projected Jonah Williams as a G and he had 33-5/8" arms.  Fuaga probably projects better as a T due to being a better athlete, I would think.

The big question is, with so many other top T prospects that do check all the boxes, do you gamble on the guy with short arms or maybe take a safer pick?

Geoff Schwartz has talked about this constantly as a guy who played tackle at a high level that arm length is REALLY overrated.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 08:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: A month ago I was all aboard the Fuaga train.

Fuaga is a right tackle or guard, he lacks ideal arm length, but he's one of the strongest guys in the draft and he gets locked onto guys when he gets his hands on them..  Don't get overwhelmed by guys nitpicking these guys, we all have a different flavor we like, but most of these guys are the best lineman this team has drafted in a long long time

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 10:40 AM)Au165 Wrote: Geoff Schwartz has talked about this constantly as a guy who played tackle at a high level that arm length is REALLY overrated.

That's because Schwartz had short arms and had to learn to over come it with fast hands not every tackle can lol.

It's funny we talk about the lack Taliese Fuaga's length and mention only his arms when I think it shows up more in his legs.  His recovery step after oversetting or an inside counter can expose his inside shoulder at times. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Great, now I have doubts now too. I thought Fuaga was the right tackle I preferred and Troy Fautanu was the one more likely to move to guard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 10:40 AM)Au165 Wrote: Geoff Schwartz has talked about this constantly as a guy who played tackle at a high level that arm length is REALLY overrated.

Geoff Schwartz was primarily a G and only started a handful of games as a T during his NFL career.  Are you confusing him with Mitchell Schwartz, maybe?

I'm not saying anybody should be crossing Fuaga off their board or anything like that, either.  Just pointing out a viable reason why some teams may see him as a G rather than a T, especially in such a strong T class.  
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 11:49 AM)Synric Wrote: That's because Schwartz had short arms and had to learn to over come it with fast hands not every tackle can lol.

It's funny we talk about the lack Taliese Fuaga's length and mention only his arms when I think it shows up more in his legs.  His recovery step after oversetting or an inside counter can expose his inside shoulder at times. 

Geoff Schwartz literally only started 8 games as a RT per his Wiki.  The rest were at G.  He never really overcame his short arms, because he was only ever a spot starter as a T.  
Reply/Quote
Get jackson powers and start rebuilding from the inside out.
Reply/Quote

This video has him 14th on their big board.  I actually have Fuaga 11th overall.  I would have no problem with the pick.  The pick wouldn't be a reach, which would be the worst way to use the pick.  
Reply/Quote
I also call BS on this guy, but hey, won't be our problem as Fuaga will be taken by the Raiders a ways ahead of our pick.

Fuaga has arm length issues and gets off balance at times, but he will get right back and dominate his man if he makes a mistake.

Fuaga is very impressive when watching him get his hands on defenders. So powerful and explosive.

Fautanu is the guy gaining ground with me along with Amarius Mims even with the lack of playing time.

Mims playing time is impressive what little there is and playing behind Trent Brown should really help him.
Reply/Quote
Fuaga: Slightly undersized arm length and reach. Elite functional strength. Repeatedly successful in getting to second level. Footwork could be refined, but might be boredom not laziness as he plays better against tough competition (Latu, Brice, Senior Bowl)

IMO the Bengals tend to err on the side of height/length which might be why our OT projects who play on skates at OT really can't move inside. I want the Bengals to start drafting athletes instead of size. It's a problem all over the field.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 12:12 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Great, now I have doubts now too.  I thought Fuaga was the right tackle I preferred and Troy Fautanu was the one more likely to move to guard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh Fuaga is a Right Tackle but does he fit Cincy? They are going to ask him to pass block 65% ish of his snaps. I'm a huge Taliese Fuaga fan and have been talking about him since November but his upside as a player is in a heavy undercenter play action multiple run scheme offense where he can play more in a 3 point stance and run block 45 to 50% of the snaps.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 04:23 PM)Synric Wrote: Meh Fuaga is a Right Tackle but does he fit Cincy? They are going to ask him to pass block 65% ish of his snaps. I'm a huge Taliese Fuaga fan and have been talking about him since November but his upside as a player is in a heavy undercenter play action multiple run scheme offense where he can play more in a 3 point stance and run block 45 to 50% of the snaps.

The good thing is that there's enough great T talent at the top of the draft that you don't have to gamble on a guy like Fuaga if he's not a scheme fit or face a steep drop off in talent to someone else that is.  

One thing I love about Zierlein's grades for the Combine site is they let you easily compare prospects from different classes.  Last year, everyone was all in on Darnell Wright, who had a 6.40 grade.  By comparison, there are 7 T's graded better than that this year.  
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 05:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: The good thing is that there's enough great T talent at the top of the draft that you don't have to gamble on a guy like Fuaga if he's not a scheme fit or face a steep drop off in talent to someone else that is.  

One thing I love about Zierlein's grades for the Combine site is they let you easily compare prospects from different classes.  Last year, everyone was all in on Darnell Wright, who had a 6.40 grade.  By comparison, there are 7 T's graded better than that this year.  

Last I heard Darnell Wright didn't have a good rookie year either and I was all in on him myself.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 05:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: The good thing is that there's enough great T talent at the top of the draft that you don't have to gamble on a guy like Fuaga if he's not a scheme fit or face a steep drop off in talent to someone else that is.  

Was Zierlein able to provide a Grade for JC Latham ?  or an Estimated Grade ?

Latham hurt his ankle in the National Championship game on 1/08/24 & was helped off the field.

I think that he would have tested had he not hurt his ankle. 

Assured as a 1st round pick & having a short window to get back up to 100% at his size likely led to him just letting Teams rely on his Game Tape. 

He has always seemed to take his Job seriously, so I still Love him as pick, although many want to avoid him for not Testing.

Latham has the size & girth that is hard for defenders to move and looks long & athletic enough to me.

FWIW - Mel  Kiper has him going to the Chargers at Pick #5.  
Reply/Quote

I would ask Pollack his thoughts, and go the opposite directions.
Reply/Quote