Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hope our Fanbase doesn't change because of this...
Whether we win the Super Bowl or not, and whether we turn this team into a dynasty or not, I REALLY hope our fan base doesn't turn into the Chiefs fan base.

Reading the NFL subreddit game thread and then reading the comments from Chiefs fans on twitter, and then reading their own subreddit after the game, those fans are absolutely terrible. I imagine a fair number of them are bandwagon fans, but the Chiefs are not some historically relevant franchise. How they have turned so toxic so quickly is horrifying. And that's not even getting into the media stans (Nick Wright is the worst one).

Nothing is the Chiefs' fault. They are the victims of everything. The refs are out to get them. The Bengals didn't deserve to face them. etc.

I really hope this team and this fanbase remain likable and humble even in the face of success.

I don't want us to be the NFL's villain in 3 or 4 years like the Chiefs have become. I want us to always be the hero of the story. And I think Burrow will remain who he is. I'm just a little nervous about the fan base haha.
Reply/Quote
It happens to a lot of successful teams. The bandwagon is strong. There are already plenty of Bengals fans who have believed that the NFL was rigging games to keep the Bengals out of the spotlight because they are a small market team, believing the refs are out to get Cincinnati etc. so as the fan base grows larger, that vocal area of the team will only get louder.
Reply/Quote
What are you talking about?. Our fan base is famous for crying about the refs robbing us and everyone in the media being against us.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What are you talking about?. Our fan base is famous for crying about the refs robbing us and everyone in the media being against us.

That's only because the refs keep robbing us and everyone in the media is against us..... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What are you talking about?. Our fan base is famous for crying about the refs robbing us and everyone in the media being against us.

Yeah, but this time we are on the winning side.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 10:10 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: It happens to a lot of successful teams. The bandwagon is strong. There are already plenty of Bengals fans who have believed that the NFL was rigging games to keep the Bengals out of the spotlight because they are a small market team, believing the refs are out to get Cincinnati etc. so as the fan base grows larger, that vocal area of the team will only get louder.

I dont get that. I understood the paranoia with the NOLA LA thing but KC is also a small market. 
Reply/Quote
If we are talking the Fan Base on This Site, I would Welcome more new Fans more Positive and Excited to be Bengals Fans, especially with some of the regular's on here saying there has been too much Who Dey lately and drinking the Kool Aid and they miss the insults and witty sarcasm thrown at The Bengals. They who do not like the Bengals winning and in Super Bowl. I would Welcome some New Fans on here as opposed to those still calling us Homers because we are Proud of Bengals in The Super Bowl. Oh, they will get their day. As soon as Bengals lose their next game, they will be on in great negativity. Even if Bengals win Super Bowl, some of the regulars on here will find something to complain about. So I Welcome a Change to the Bengals Fan Base to where rooting for Bengals to WIN does not make us Homers, it simply makes us Bengals Fans. For we are not Browns Boards or Ravens Boards or Steelers Boards, WE ARE BENGALS BOARD. If New Fans jump on Board over Super Bowl Bengals, Great. I see many on Talk Show raving about Bengals, may these celebrities jump on here and Join The Party and become Bengals Fans. Jump in the pool, the waters fine. Welcome New Bengals Fans. For Those About To Rock, We Salute You.

Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Where's Denny?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 10:05 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Whether we win the Super Bowl or not, and whether we turn this team into a dynasty or not, I REALLY hope our fan base doesn't turn into the Chiefs fan base.

Reading the NFL subreddit game thread and then reading the comments from Chiefs fans on twitter, and then reading their own subreddit after the game, those fans are absolutely terrible. I imagine a fair number of them are bandwagon fans, but the Chiefs are not some historically relevant franchise. How they have turned so toxic so quickly is horrifying. And that's not even getting into the media stans (Nick Wright is the worst one).

Nothing is the Chiefs' fault. They are the victims of everything. The refs are out to get them. The Bengals didn't deserve to face them. etc.

I really hope this team and this fanbase remain likable and humble even in the face of success.

I don't want to us to be the NFL's villain in 3 or 4 years like the Chiefs have become. I want us to always be the hero of the story. And I think Burrow will remain who he is. I'm just a little nervous about the fan base haha.

I'm going to continue to believe it's a small part of their fanbase on the filth that is social media.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah it's pretty disgusting and it's really not for any great reason. I certainly won't be part of a community like that. Surely our crowd will remember our roots and the adversity we've overcome.

Hopefully we'll be as classy as Mr. Brown was last night.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 10:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm going to continue to believe it's a small part of their fanbase on the filth that is social media.

I think you're right. Fans that were at the game said they were very respectful and polite. I know a couple Chiefs fans that are great people. They sent me messages yesterday congratulating us and wishing us good luck.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:02 AM)wcu Wrote: Yeah it's pretty disgusting and it's really not for any great reason. I certainly won't be part of a community like that. Surely our crowd will remember our roots and the adversity we've overcome.

Hopefully we'll be as classy as Mr. Brown was last night.

Yes Brown was very complimentary of the other teams and how close these games were.
As for the bandwagoners - they can alll get off my lawn. Especially the ones that for years dogged the Bengals and asked me why I rooted for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 10:05 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I really hope this team and this fanbase remain likable and humble even in the face of success.

I don't want to us to be the NFL's villain in 3 or 4 years like the Chiefs have become. I want us to always be the hero of the story. And I think Burrow will remain who he is. I'm just a little nervous about the fan base haha.

All you can control is yourself and how you continue to carry yourself. Every fanbase has insufferable idiots and reasonable people, there's little you can do about it. Best you could do is channel your inner Sam Wyche and be like "HEY! You don't live in Cleveland!" and hope that works. And yes, I'm aware of the hypocrisy of that statement, it's a joke...
Reply/Quote

Literally, every fan base has gripes about refs. If that's all this was, I'd let it pass. But the level of disrespect and cockiness that the fans of the Chiefs exhibited all week was awful. They considered the game against Buffalo the "Real AFC Championship game."

During the NFL subreddit game thread, there were Chiefs fans saying things like "The Bengals don't deserve to play in this game against us." or "This is the most embarrassing championship game match up I've ever seen" (ironically, that guy was correct, but for the wrong reason). 

They have this level of self entitlement. That they deserve the Super Bowl. That other teams shouldn't dare play against them.

And then, yes, they also complain about the refs. That's kind of just the cherry on top of their toxicity.

I saw a tweet, that has since been deleted, from a KC local news source that read "We were never supposed to be here. They counted us out. They put us down. But this team battled back. We did it once and we'll do it again. Thank you for an incredible ride this year."

...They were never supposed to be here? They were the super bowl favorites in the pre-season! Ranked in the top 10 in the power rankings by many outlets even when they were 3-4. EVERYONE knew they were going to get right and make the playoffs and, probably, win the Super Bowl even when they were struggling. Literally, no one counted them out. No one put them down.

This level of victimhood mentality while being the favorite in, basically, every game they played all year is pathetic. And I'm just saying I don't want our fanbase to become as bad as theirs.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 10:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm going to continue to believe it's a small part of their fanbase on the filth that is social media.

(01-31-2022, 11:05 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think you're right. Fans that were at the game said they were very respectful and polite. I know a couple Chiefs fans that are great people. They sent me messages yesterday congratulating us and wishing us good luck.

I hope you guys are right. I don't know any KC fans in person so all I see are the social media fans and they're some of the most toxic I've ever seen.
Reply/Quote
I think this just tells us there really isn't much difference in overreactions and meltdowns from bottom feeder teams and dynasties after losses. Which is surprising, but we are fans and that's what we do. Especially those who spend so much time on message boards. We the most extreme fans of all fans.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I was already insufferable. Now it’s on steroids since on drunk with success and it went straight to my head.
Reply/Quote
I really don't dislike Mahomes, he seems like a good dude (albeit with a horrible wife and brother). But when they showed him on the bench in the first half, he had a smirk on his face that screamed "See, week 17 was a fluke and these guys don't belong on the same field with us" I never wanted a smirk wiped off someone's face so badly in years. And then our guys did it.
Reply/Quote
Every fanbase has their faction of boisterous fools who think they're entitled to blurt out ignorance in condescending fashion. .

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
My engineer last night is a Chiefs fan. We got under way when the score was tied 21 21. Just like last week, I had Hulu recording the game, with intentions of watching it at the hotel “live” so to speak. We stopped at a siding called Knobel, in the middle of nowhere with no data, and he got an update from his wife. He didn’t say anything but started whistling and humming when we got back underway, and I’m like “crap, the Chiefs won”. We get off the train, the ear buds go in, and I start watching on my phone. I was in the room by the time the game was over. I texted him and thanked him for keeping a poker face, and he said he’d be rooting for us to win.
Don’t let a few toxic social media types ruin this. It’s a great feeling and I don’t intend to allow those types in my head.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote