Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know I said I had quit, but....
I found myself in a liquor store today and they had on sale Ainsley Brae single malt scotch whisky made in Scotland finished in sherry caskets for a mere $25 and I couldn't resist.. Good stuff man! If you're gonna drink Scotch whisky get the single malt stuff.. Goes down nice and smooth.. and is quicker than that garbage beer some of you drink because you just don't know any better.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just enjoy in moderation gramps. Wink
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Give me back those coins. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 10:12 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Give me back those coins. Ninja

I don't think they make them for 3 1/2 days.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Just a common man and will take a beer over scotch whiskey any day of the week.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Will take some California chronic over both though.

Now that is some smooth stuff.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I prefer Jamison Irish Whiskey, but my nephew always has some great scotch. Can't remember the name, but it is good stuff.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 10:12 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Give me back those coins. Ninja

I've never placed any faith in the usefulness of those coins. I used to live directly behind the biggest AA meeting hall in Dayton and anyone at any time can purchase one of those coins for a buck and a half . A 20 year coin cost exactly the same as a 1 day coin and if you have a nasty gambling addiction they're more than happy to scratch the itch for you . I'm not saying they're totally corrupt there, but they're not exactly on the up and up .  I wish I had a dime for every time I was drinking with someone who had just given a nice long speech at one of their meetings.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 12:31 PM)grampahol Wrote:  I wish I had a dime for every time I was drinking with someone who had just given a nice long speech at one of their meetings.. 

Hmm... Maybe we have met? Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 12:31 PM)grampahol Wrote: I've never placed any faith in the usefulness of those coins. I used to live directly behind the biggest AA meeting hall in Dayton and anyone at any time can purchase one of those coins for a buck and a half . A 20 year coin cost exactly the same as a 1 day coin and if you have a nasty gambling addiction they're more than happy to scratch the itch for you . I'm not saying they're totally corrupt there, but they're not exactly on the up and up .  I wish I had a dime for every time I was drinking with someone who had just given a nice long speech at one of their meetings.. 

The coins are kind of for the person who receives them.  They aren't really used as evidence of anything.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 01:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The coins are kind of for the person who receives them.  They are really used as evidence of anything.

Your right. For some, it's something they always carry to remind them how far they've come. Coins are considered benchmarks and even those who have a 24hr coin, should be proud of it.

Reply/Quote
I guess if you place meaning on them that's a personal decision.  I certainly don't hold it anyone against it . I had some bad experiences with the organization, but I'm aware others have had good experiences. The single biggest problem I had with AA was back when judges could force people to attend meetings and the success rate of getting people to quit drinking has been greatly exaggerated over the years. I've known people who found good results and I've known more who didn't. 

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 09:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: I guess if you place meaning on them that's a personal decision.  I certainly don't hold it anyone against it . I had some bad experiences with the organization, but I'm aware others have had good experiences. The single biggest problem I had with AA was back when judges could force people to attend meetings and the success rate of getting people to quit drinking has been greatly exaggerated over the years. I've known people who found good results and I've known more who didn't. 

I just meant there’s really no reason to buy one.

Speaking of sentencing, my niece used to be a cashier at a grocery store and sold a bottle of wine to a liquor agent on Sunday before you were allowed to. The judge made her attend 5 AA meetings.

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 09:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: I guess if you place meaning on them that's a personal decision.  I certainly don't hold it anyone against it . I had some bad experiences with the organization, but I'm aware others have had good experiences. The single biggest problem I had with AA was back when judges could force people to attend meetings and the success rate of getting people to quit drinking has been greatly exaggerated over the years. I've known people who found good results and I've known more who didn't. 

You're a grown man, you know what's good for you.  You don't need group support, or pressure to keep your mind on what's important to you.  

I'll be the first to admit that I just love a drink.  However, I also enjoy working my job, loving my wife, and all of the other things that go with life.  Therefore, I set limitations on myself.  Most days, that is...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 09:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're a grown man, you know what's good for you.  You don't need group support, or pressure to keep your mind on what's important to you.  

I'll be the first to admit that I just love a drink.  However, I also enjoy working my job, loving my wife, and all of the other things that go with life.  Therefore, I set limitations on myself.  Most days, that is...

Here here Sunset.. It took me years to come to terms with the notion of personal responsibility and not having to get completely soused every time I opened a bottle. Ahh, the good old days of being able to shrug off a hangover to get a days work done.. Now I can actually take a drink and put the stopper back in the bottle for another day. It only took me 40 years to figure that out..lol
I'm still quite amazed that I still have over 3/4 of that bottle of Scotch left. Back in the bad old days that would have never happened. Back then it was taken as an article of faith that i had to kill the entire bottle and then go temp fate to drive back to the liquor store before they closed. Now ? Just enough to feel it and go to bed before the clock strikes midnight   .. 

Reply/Quote
One main reason I drink scotch and whiskey straight now is because I drink slower.

I learned this last Christmas when I started drinking vodka and cranberry at a party. They tasted like candy and I had drank A LOT before I realized it.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2018, 08:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: One main reason I drink scotch and whiskey straight now is because I drink slower.

I learned this last Christmas when I started drinking vodka and cranberry at a party. They tasted like candy and I had drank A LOT before I realized it.

Everclear and Hawaiian Punch will teach you that lesson in a hurry.

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2018, 09:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Everclear and Hawaiian Punch will teach you that lesson in a hurry.

In the old days, we'd make that in a brand new trash can, with cut up fruit thrown in there.  We called it "Hairy Buffalo".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2018, 08:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: One main reason I drink scotch and whiskey straight now is because I drink slower.

I learned this last Christmas when I started drinking vodka and cranberry at a party.  They tasted like candy and I had drank A LOT before I realized it.

Drink single malt and you'll probably drink a little quicker or at least I did.  Then again I burnt out those taste buds years ago so whisky doesn't really have that 'hot' taste to me anymore.  I don't like vodka .I do like tequila straight , but it doesn't like me.. I get too aggressive with tequila and want to hit things and people . 

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2018, 09:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In the old days, we'd make that in a brand new trash can, with cut up fruit thrown in there.  We called it "Hairy Buffalo".

We called them "Irish Car Bombs"!! 
Reply/Quote