Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I love the 80's ( and beyond, ya old fart )
It's been two or three years ago but I remember seeing a list of stuff people born after 95 or whatever had never used, seen, been around etc. and it really made me stop and think how damn old I am, LOL.

Remember these monsters ?

[Image: th?id=JN.Hvmdh7Y%2b1u27LYwmeHgtWA&pid=15.1&P=0]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 03:36 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I remember having to use that system, and citing sources and all that stuff.  Do they even still use those cards at the library anymore (been awhile since I've been to one).  I'm assuming it's all on computers now.

now a days, kids in school can simply google what they want for an essay or assignment. 

back in my day, i had to get on a bus and drag my ass to my university in the middle of winter and dig around for what i wanted. 

once i had the books i needed, i stuffed them into a bag that weighed a metric ton and bused them back home.

then i had to bus them back when i was done.

call me old or whatever, but I actually had to work for the information i needed.  you had to put in some actual labour instead of using google and never leaving the living room.

i'm assuming kids have it that easy now? i wouldn't know...i have no kids or relatives in that age group
Reply/Quote
Oh I very much remember the old Encyclopedia Britannica days ! Stacks of them on the table doing a book report. And going to the library using the old cardx or whatever it was called.

And if we had a calculator at school we were cheating ! But have you ever noticed at the convenience store if you try and give the change to kids (under 30) after they've already keyed in the $20 or whatever they get this blank stare on their face and can't figure it out ?
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 11:11 AM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: now a days, kids in school can simply google what they want for an essay or assignment. 

back in my day, i had to get on a bus and drag my ass to my university in the middle of winter and dig around for what i wanted. 

once i had the books i needed, i stuffed them into a bag that weighed a metric ton and bused them back home.

then i had to bus them back when i was done.

call me old or whatever, but I actually had to work for the information i needed.  you had to put in some actual labour instead of using google and never leaving the living room.

i'm assuming kids have it that easy now?  i wouldn't know...i have no kids or relatives in that age group

Oh I can remember spending hours in the library finding the books I needed.  Making copies of pages, writing down sources, page numbers, authors, etc...

But things change with each generation.  I'm sure when my son is my age he'll be looking back saying "I remember when we still had to google stuff..." LOL
Reply/Quote
[Image: 446092a7.png]
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
[Image: 300px-WOPR_test.png]
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 03:14 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Oh I can remember spending hours in the library finding the books I needed.  Making copies of pages, writing down sources, page numbers, authors, etc...

But things change with each generation.  I'm sure when my son is my age he'll be looking back saying "I remember when we still had to google stuff..." LOL

when he is your age, his kids will have to think of a subject the lights will dim and it will project in the room he is sitting in. 

It will be in 3D and the graphs, charts and what have you will be completely explained in James Earl Jones' voice.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 03:43 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: when he is your age, his kids will have to think of a subject the lights will dim and it will project in the room he is sitting in. 

It will be in 3D and the graphs, charts and what have you will be completely explained in James Earl Jones' voice.

With sources already cited I'm sure, lucky bastards :snark:
Reply/Quote
Check out these cool parachute pants.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 05:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Check out these cool parachute pants.
I used to set 'em off with a Members Only jacket.

We use to also have the pointy toed dress shoes that came in all different colors. They had about 2 eyelets. Can't remember the name, must research. We called them PFCs (Puerto Rican Fence Climbers).
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 03:36 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I remember having to use that system, and citing sources and all that stuff.  Do they even still use those cards at the library anymore (been awhile since I've been to one).  I'm assuming it's all on computers now.

I was at the Cincinnati State library a few months ago, and they still have theirs.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 05:51 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I was at the Cincinnati State library a few months ago, and they still have theirs.

Wow I'm surprised.  Wander if most libraries still use them?  I'd assume most have been computerized these days.
Reply/Quote
"I left something on my dashboard"

Kids today wouldn't think about "a car"
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 05:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I used to set 'em off with a Members Only jacket.

We use to also have the pointy toed dress shoes that came in all different colors. They had about 2 eyelets. Can't remember the name, must research. We called them PFCs (Puerto Rican Fence Climbers).

Back in the day.  There was a trendy place called Chess King at the mall.  LMAO  I recall buying some stuff there.  Any old farts here remember it?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 10:39 PM)NBengalsRocker Wrote: Back in the day.  There was a trendy place called Chess King at the mall.  LMAO  I recall buying some stuff there.  Any old farts here remember it?

[Image: 9fad4c592ed8072fcbbdc80607473a2f.jpg] Smirk
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
When speaking of a song or group of songs I still continue to use the term "album". Though they are making a comeback.
"Don't call it a comeback, cause I've been here for years".
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwPjY5PZQY

enough said
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 02:52 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: "Don't call it a comeback, cause I've been here for years".

[Image: image.jpg?w=555&c=1]

1780's style
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 09:53 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: "I left something on my dashboard"

Kids today wouldn't think about "a car"

remember when you could leave the front door of your house wide open or your skateboard/bike on the front lawn and it would be there the next morning?
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 02:43 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: remember when you could leave the front door of your house wide open or your skateboard/bike on the front lawn and it would be there the next morning?

Yeah now if you leave your bike in the front lawn you're not sure if another kid stole it, or a scrapper took it these days.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote