Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Not Seeing Any Great Left Tackles
That doesn't mean there isn't one, but looking at the many draft prospect lists, Not one that really stands out. Some names that reports say the player will have to play right tackle in NFL. A real lack of top skilled All Pro type First Round Left Tackles. .....For Bengals this means they better resign Whitworth. Perhaps 2018 has more Left Tackle talent.

I see some possible top centers and guards and right tackles, but not much at left tackle. I'm sure these early lists are missing somebody.

For Bengals I still see Linebackers from Alabama as their best First Round option. Unless they have a chance at the top Running Back from LSU. I doubt that they will, but that is hard to pass on....Mostly I see Bengals taking one of the top Alabama Linebackers in Round One. It's a goods solid pick and Dansby was just another old pick up until we make this draft pick.

I think round two will offer more top linebackers, but I look at the talent at center or guard or even defensive tackle here. There looks to be good round two talent at these positions. If we lose Kirkpatrick and Zeitler we lose most of that draft. We have drafted CB, but will be in dire need of a guard if we lose Zeitler. Getting the top center in the draft is eye opening as is getting a top DT with Peko maybe done here. ....I'm not sold on the tackles we drafted as being a top left tackle. With a top pick, it is nice to fill a spot like left tackle, I just don't see a great talent out there high in the draft. Munoz was the best pick we ever made. This draft doesn't seem to have anybody that can pass block and run block at LT.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 06:59 AM)kevin Wrote: That doesn't mean there isn't one, but looking at the many draft prospect lists, Not one that really stands out.  Some names that reports say the player will have to play right tackle in NFL.  A real lack of top skilled All Pro type First Round Left Tackles. .....For Bengals this means they better resign Whitworth.  Perhaps 2018 has more Left Tackle talent.

I see some possible top centers and guards and right tackles, but not much at left tackle. I'm sure these early lists are missing somebody.

For Bengals I still see Linebackers from Alabama as their best First Round option.  Unless they have a chance at the top Running Back from LSU.  I doubt that they will, but that is hard to pass on....Mostly I see Bengals taking one of the top Alabama Linebackers in Round One.  It's a goods solid pick and Dansby was just another old pick up until we make this draft pick.

I think round two will offer more top linebackers, but I look at the talent at center or guard or even defensive tackle here. There looks to be good round two talent at these positions. If we lose Kirkpatrick and Zeitler we lose most of that draft. We have drafted CB, but will be in dire need of a guard if we lose Zeitler.  Getting the top center in the draft is eye opening as is getting a top DT with Peko maybe done here. ....I'm not sold on the tackles we drafted as being a top left tackle. With a top pick, it is nice to fill a spot like left tackle, I just don't see a great talent out there high in the draft. Munoz was the best pick we ever made. This draft doesn't seem to have anybody that can pass block and run block at LT.

I think we need to let Ced and Fisher have more snaps before we determine that they are not the answer. If we resign Whit we can focus on drafting a T in the mid to late rounds as the backup for the upcoming season.
Reply/Quote
Not a good OT draft class. We have a need at LB, but a RE who pressure the QB to replace Michael Johnson would impact the defense more than a LB in my opinion. But, depending upon where the Bengals draft and the players left on the board it would make sense to draft LB like Reuben Foster, Zach Cunningham, or Tim Williams (but I'd like know more about his off the field rumors.)

If it were up to me, and it isn't, I would primarily focus on one of two things this up coming draft. Improving the running game to take pressure off Andy Dalton and keep the defense off the field and better rested. Improve the pass rush to take pressure off the secondary and hopefully points off the board.
Reply/Quote
I'm with you. Cam Robinson is projected as the highest OT and he reminds me more of Andre Smith and likely a better fit at RT in the NFL. Ryan Ramczyk could be the best OT in the draft, but he's not played in D1 his whole collegiate career, so there's risk involved. But the potential is there. At the Bengals pick though, is that potential worth the selection? I don't think so, but that's me.

Given how much the Bengals value experience, I would be surprised if they don't get a RT in FA and re-sign Whitworth, thus allowing Fisher and Ogbuehi another year to blossom.

Also, this draft is very defense-heavy, so I think a LB or DL will be selected. LB, to me, makes the most sense given that both Maualuga and Burfict are entering contract years, Maualuga has underperformed greatly and has no dead money left on his contract, Dansby will also be a FA, and Burfict and Rey can be the starters at the beginning of the season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like conor mcdermott as a 3rd or 4th round pick the best
Reply/Quote
Yeah there are good centers ala elflien and good guards ala ramzyck but not good tackles in this draft.
Reply/Quote
Do we really need a franchise LT in this draft? The team certainly has options. The safest one, re-sign Whit to another short term deal, deal away some of the mistakes from the '15 draft, and sign a solid vet to be insurance for '17.

Just so we all know, CFB is not really developing the prototypical LTs of yesteryear. They are taking large "athletes" and putting them into the position, and getting by with it in their spread offenses. To find a bona fide LT of the traditional sense, we may have to look at guys from programs outside the top 25 in National Rankings...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We weren't going to draft a LT this year anyway. And for good reason. This draft class is pretty weak at the tackle side. Cam Robinson isn't that great and it's a drop off even after him.

It's better to try and fix Ogbuehi's technique and lower body strength right now. Give him a full offseason and hopefully he will get better.
Remember. Andre Smith had a terrible first season. It takes time with players like this. I know we all would like a better tackle, but we have what we have for another year.

Our biggest problem has been we have drafted players that haven't stepped up. Outside of Eifert, Kirkpatrick, Gio, and Zeitler, who was the last player we drafted that made an impact on this team?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 07:20 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: We weren't going to draft a LT this year anyway. And for good reason. This draft class is pretty weak at the tackle side. Cam Robinson isn't that great and it's a drop off even after him.

It's better to try and fix Ogbuehi's technique and lower body strength right now. Give him a full offseason and hopefully he will get better.
Remember. Andre Smith had a terrible first season. It takes time with players like this. I know we all would like a better tackle, but we have what we have for another year.

Our biggest problem has been we have drafted players that haven't stepped up. Outside of Eifert, Kirkpatrick, Gio, and Zeitler, who was the last player we drafted that made an impact on this team?

Hmm, have a few issues with your plan Wolf.  Andre Smith's problem was that he had too much mass (read, fat) to be agile enough to play LT in the NFL.  Ogbuehi is the exact opposite, dude does not have enough of the natural lower body mass to excel at the pro level.  He is a perfect example of when I said CFB is putting large "athletes" into the position, and getting by with it. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 07:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, have a few issues with your plan Wolf.  Andre Smith's problem was that he had too much mass (read, fat) to be agile enough to play LT in the NFL.  Ogbuehi is the exact opposite, dude does not have enough of the natural lower body mass to excel at the pro level.  He is a perfect example of when I said CFB is putting large "athletes" into the position, and getting by with it. 

Very true. I don't view Smith the same type of player as Ogbuehi, just using him as an OT example. They're both totally different tackles.

Ogbuehi was a boom-bust pick. He has a high ceiling but also low floor. It will take time for him to improve, I didn't like the pick, but there's still a chance with him.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Sometimes you can get by with having a giant play OT. Dan Skipper from Arkansas seems to have rare athleticism for a man his size. And Zach Banner from USC is enormous. I wouldnt mind taking a chance on either or both.

Cam Robinson is who i am hoping for in the 1st. I think he is the best offensive linemen in the draft. If Ogbuehi proves he can play LT, awesome, not gonna stop me from passing on cam.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 07:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, have a few issues with your plan Wolf.  Andre Smith's problem was that he had too much mass (read, fat) to be agile enough to play LT in the NFL.  Ogbuehi is the exact opposite, dude does not have enough of the natural lower body mass to excel at the pro level.  He is a perfect example of when I said CFB is putting large "athletes" into the position, and getting by with it. 

Plus Og does not seem to want to even play well. He gives up before the play even starts. This is the scary part about the guy.

Sign Whit for a couple years, draft a Center in the 2nd and a talented, raw OT in the mid rounds. Fisher atleast played decent
the last game and gave me a little hope. But i would also really think about digging into OT FA's as well. Need to O-line to
improve more than anything...

and of course, fire PA and hire a decent O-line coach but this goes without saying.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 06:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Plus Og does not seem to want to even play well. He gives up before the play even starts. This is the scary part about the guy.

Sign Whit for a couple years, draft a Center in the 2nd and a talented, raw OT in the mid rounds. Fisher atleast played decent
the last game and gave me a little hope. But i would also really think about digging into OT FA's as well. Need to O-line to
improve more than anything...

and of course, fire PA and hire a decent O-line coach but this goes without saying.

I'd say that is a plan that many of us could get on board with.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 06:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd say that is a plan that many of us could get on board with.

Just heard that the team wants Whit back and he wants to be back here. Good start.
Reply/Quote
I used to be a big fan of drafting OTs in the first round, but I'm starting to think that isn't the slam dunk that it used to be. Back in the 90s and early 2000s, if you took an OT in the first round you were pretty much getting a guy that was going to play for 10 years at a high level. However with the recent changes in the college game, tackles are starting to bust at a high rate.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2016, 12:21 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I used to be a big fan of drafting OTs in the first round, but I'm starting to think that isn't the slam dunk that it used to be.  Back in the 90s and early 2000s, if you took an OT in the first round you were pretty much getting a guy that was going to play for 10 years at a high level.  However with the recent changes in the college game, tackles are starting to bust at a high rate.

It's true. It seems like the OTs that are taken in the first wind up being better guards than tackles.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'd be shocked if we took a tackle in the first three rounds. We just drafted two, we've got some guys on the line in their prime, and all indications are Whit will be back next year.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2016, 12:26 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd be shocked if we took a tackle in the first three rounds. We just drafted two, we've got some guys on the line in their prime, and all indications are Whit will be back next year.

Agreed, given the ... ahem ... patience shown in Ogbuehi and Fisher this year. If anything, I look for the team to upgrade Winston with someone who could back up more than just right tackle. And not just playing, but mentoring too. Not impressed with Alexander's development and Winston's mentoring of Ogbuehi so far.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I would agree not drafting an offensive tackle in the first round. I think the Bengals need a good linebacker someone like Foster and they probably need a speed a speedy wide receiver. Then I would focus on a center and maybe a right defensive end in that order. I think they may let Dre Kirkpatrick walk but they are fairly deep at cornerback and they have that new Rookie showed some promise.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote