Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a homer. Bring me back to reality, because I'm falling for it again!
(08-02-2018, 06:59 PM)McC Wrote: Glad to help.

I think Price will be be fine.  He is too much of a bulldog to fail.  His level of want-to is through the roof and his level of tolerance for failure doesn't even register zero.  He'll will himself to greatness.  He's learning on the fly right now, a couple really big things and doing it with Geno in his face.  Trial by fire.   I like it.  Push him hard right from the start.  

Nice post.  Don't start offering me real estate in a Florida swamp...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There's absolutely no reason to not feel excited. It's football season right around the corner and whether they have a great season or not it's just plain fun to speculate about how good they can be  even when its painfully obvious there are big gaps needed to be filled. 
Just enjoy the ride. Enjoy the scenery and enjoy a cheap, greasy hamburger whenever available . You have absolutely nothing to lose by being excited about your team . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
This team has solid vets and plenty of young hungry talent looking to make a name and ultimately get paid.. Its a good mix this year.. How can we not be excited..Sweep the steelers,, earn some respect, then by all means they are contenders!!
Reply/Quote
I thinks our roster on paper is very talented. I just hope a few things happen.

1. The O line holds up and gives Dalton the opportunity to succeed and also opens up the running lanes for Mixon.

2. Lazor ends up as a very good coordinator and uses the wide array of talent we have at the skill positions to keep the defenses guessing.

3. Our pass rush has the potential to be completely dominant. If Lawson ends up as a 10+ sack guy to go along with Atkins and Dunlap, I don't see why our defense can't be top 10.

So in conclusion, you aren't the only one that is starting to believe the hype.
Reply/Quote
What I 've learned about the Bengals in the Dalton era is this;

When they get out and play with big time confidence, they are one of the best teams in the NFL. But they play with a psyche that gets shook easily at the worst times..(i.e, giving up points just before halftime by blowing coverages, allowing a kick return or dumb penalties.) I know that's the one thing that makes me so unsure at times. With that being said though, this team seems, at this moment to have a sharp focus that is going to make them a tough out for any opponent they play this year. Of course staying healthy is key but I got the same kind of feeling about this team that I had a couple of years ago when everyone I knew, thought I was on cocaine because I told them that the Bengals were a bad match up for the Seahawks and we all remember how that game ended..I just hope the feeling I have proves to be true this year.
Reply/Quote
Not sure why anyone would want talked down at this point? We rarely have had great things to make us feel all giddy inside. When the Bengals give some positivity, enjoy it. Besides, This team has not been Bunglelike the whole season. They’ve actually had and shown aggressiveness. I’m going to embrace what they’ve done so far (with the occasional joke here and there) and be thankful these ain’t the Bengals we have been used to. Their actually acting like an nfl team.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 07:22 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not sure why anyone would want talked down at this point? We rarely have had great things to make us feel all giddy inside. When the Bengals give some positivity, enjoy it. Besides, This team has not been Bunglelike the whole season. They’ve actually had and shown aggressiveness. I’m going to embrace what they’ve done so far (with the occasional joke here and there) and be thankful these ain’t the Bengals we have been used to. Their actually acting like an nfl team.

Good post.  And very true!   Cheers
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Well if anyone wants to have their enthusiasm curbed, consider this: Marvin and Mike. The 2 remaining constants that can't be ignored.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Seems a lot is being written locally of the new and improved offense of the Bengals, but whenever that happens it kind of makes me a tad nervous. Has the offense gotten so much better or has the defense gotten worse? If its the later we're in trouble..  Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Everyone has rose colored shades and down Kool-Aid by the gallon in the summer when everyone looks good in shorts.

The truth is that the team is very unproven, and the most important positions to the success of the team (QB and Head Coach) are still the "meh" people they've always been.

Sure, if everything falls into place this team has tons of talent and could make some noise. It's just that about 31 other teams are saying the same thing right now.

To use a Marvinism: "I see better than I hear."
Reply/Quote
Last year in the preseason I was optimistic, but still had a nagging doubt due to the worries about the OL. This year I feel optimistic and excited about what this season could become. I am excitedly optimistic because:

1. Look at what a crapstorm of a team we had last season, yet that team still managed to win 7 games. While that's a losing record, I feel it could have been way worse. On top of that, we lost 3 games by giving up TD drives on the final drive of the game. If our D holds on for 2 of those 3 we have a 9 win team and would have made the playoffs ahead of BUF since we beat them head to head.

2. The trend of last year's team over the season. We started out losing games badly and not even scoring a TD in the first two. Middle of the season we got our footing under us and won some games we were supposed to win. By season's end, the OL didn't seem so terrible and was opening some holes for the RBs, and we finished by beating two teams fighting to make the playoffs. A steady upward trend across the entirety of the season.

3. We now have WRs to compliment and take focus off AJ. The man was on an island all last year with teams basically unconcerned with LaFell and focusing on AJ. He was still his great self, but carrying way to big a load. With Ross, Boyd and Malone shining, there is major room to hope that teams cannot double and triple AJ this year. Dalton does leave a lot to be desired, but he is very good at getting the ball into the hands of his play makers very quickly. With those guys getting open, his options are limitless and our O will be hard to stop.

4. Red zone possibilities. Picture the Bengals lining up in the red zone with AJ, Eifert and Auden Tate. And Mixon and Gio are both very good runners, and great as pass catchers too. If you're an opposing D, how do you stop that?

5. The LBs. How many games did the Bengals have to line up with Vinny Rey, and rookies Jordan Evans and Hardy Nickerson at LB last year? Not to mention Vigil's shortcomings. But this year, Preston Brown is a huge upgrade. Couple that with Evans now having experience and showing marked improvement, and Jefferson's athleticism, and the LB room is also way better than last year.

6. The coaching changes and organizational decision making changes. The coaching changes have been praised ad nauseum. But also the organizational changes such as letting ML pick new assistants, trading for Glenn, etc mean this team is finally starting to operate more like other successful teams.

These are the reasons I have changed my outlook from cautiously optimistic last preseason to excitedly optimistic this preseason. The only way these things cannot translate into at least 2-3 more wins is injuries (knock on wood). Can't wait to get to preseason games to see how this all comes together
Reply/Quote
This upcoming season really is a season to have a lot of belief due to so many new faces but also "blind" optimism because we haven't seen those new faces actually produce on this team yet.

New faces on coaching staff we hope/think will make a great impact:
Frank Pollack
Teryl Austin
Alex Van Pelt
Daronte Jones
Bob Bicknell

New faces on the roster we hope/think will make a great impact:
Cordy Glenn
Preston Brown
Billy Price
Jessie Bates III
(I could throw in Hubbard, Jefferson, and Baker, but I don't think many expect any of them to play a significant role this year)

If the above guys actually are as we're believing them to be, this team will be in great shape. If not, we could see struggles again like the past two years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:22 PM)hollodero Wrote: I'm not quite there yet regarding Jackson. I'm not saying he couldn't be what you see in him, I guess he can, but I think calling him the best young CB is a bit premature.

I also have no high hopes for Eifert. Which could make TE a tough spot, which could result in defensive adjustments, which could make life for DAlton et al. more difficult.

Honestly, that's pretty much everything I can do for you. Everything you say is argued solidly in my eyes. I just can say that I personally still see an 8-8 season, maybe that pretty much unfounded pessimism helps you.

Not premature at all.

https://youtu.be/UohtSrI5Hsk

Reply/Quote
Easy enough.

Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis are still running the show.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:46 PM)McC Wrote: You know what?  I've always wondered why the hell the devil even deserves an advocate.

J/K.  I think the OLine thing might have a lot to do with shuffling guys in and out.  Once the lineup is decided, I think the picture will come together.  I believe RG is covered.  A couple promising looking guys over there.  RT, worst case scenario, is the weakest link but not atrociously weak.  Weak enough to have to help but not season wrecking bad.  More likely, imo, a decent starter emerges with Pollack's help.

Not saying the line is solved but it in a waaaay better place than it was. 

And, to recap--**** the devil.
Totally agree. RG doesn't concern me much. We have guys that can play there and play well. RT will sort itself out. Somebody will step up and take it or they will scheme to help out that position.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:56 PM)3wt Wrote: Like I said to McC I managed to depress myself in an effort to be realistic.   But I think it's a brighter picture than I painted.   Happy if Lawson beat Glenn.  I really believe Glenn is the real deal.

I'm totally excited about Boyd.   I think he's the receiver that's going to make a significant difference to our offense.

My biggest hopes and fears are tied up in Price.   I really don't want the bubble I've been riding to be burst.

About Price, how many rookie centers do you think will win every single play against Geno?  Geno abuses vet centers on a regular bases during the season. There will be growing pains, but he will be our best center ever!
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:53 AM)grampahol Wrote: There's absolutely no reason to not feel excited. It's football season right around the corner and whether they have a great season or not it's just plain fun to speculate about how good they can be  even when its painfully obvious there are big gaps needed to be filled. 
Just enjoy the ride. Enjoy the scenery and enjoy a cheap, greasy hamburger whenever available . You have absolutely nothing to lose by being excited about your team . 

Exactly how I feel! Life will kick you in the 'nads, might as well enjoy something!
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 06:50 AM)Air Force 1 Wrote: What I 've learned about the Bengals in the Dalton era is this;

When they get out and play with big time confidence, they are one of the best teams in the NFL. But they play with a psyche that gets shook easily at the worst times..(i.e, giving up points just before halftime by blowing coverages, allowing a kick return or dumb penalties.) I know that's the one thing that makes me so unsure at times. With that being said though, this team seems, at this moment to have a sharp focus that is going to make them a tough out for any opponent they play this year. Of course staying healthy is key but I got the same kind of feeling about this team that I had a couple of years ago when everyone I knew, thought I was on cocaine because I told them that the Bengals were a bad match up for the Seahawks and we all remember how that game ended..I just hope the feeling I have proves to be true this year.

That's the one thing I noticed, they seem to be on a mission! Guys that were questionable at the end of last season, have worked their butts off it seems to get better. Yeah, I know Seahawks all to well and it felt good to kick sand on them for a day!!
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 07:22 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not sure why anyone would want talked down at this point? We rarely have had great things to make us feel all giddy inside. When the Bengals give some positivity, enjoy it. Besides, This team has not been Bunglelike the whole season. They’ve actually had and shown aggressiveness. I’m going to embrace what they’ve done so far (with the occasional joke here and there) and be thankful these ain’t the Bengals we have been used to. Their actually acting like an nfl team.

This is the best response to the OP! I actually thing the players are feeding off the FO for once. They wanted change for the better and it is finally happening. If you have crappy management, it's hard to work for and stay positive for long.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 11:00 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Easy enough.

Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis are still running the show.

It sounds like Mixon is being counted upon to be a bellcow, which means we will be playing Marv's Favorite Style:

Close To The Vest

This, combined with his legendary clock management "skills", is a lethal combination that will cost us at least 2 wins.
If, somehow, we make the playoffs, then you can bet, double down I say, that Marv will play even Closer to the Vest.

We better hope that the Coordinators have the 'nads to override his ass (like Zimmer surely did). This team needs to go balls to the wall, overdrive, hell bent for leather in order to avoid those wonderfully entertaining end of half keystone cop routines we've all become accustomed to.

Great board, btw.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote