Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a homer. Bring me back to reality, because I'm falling for it again!
(08-03-2018, 10:39 AM)Beaker Wrote: Last year in the preseason I was optimistic, but still had a nagging doubt due to the worries about the OL. This year I feel optimistic and excited about what this season could become. I am excitedly optimistic because:

1. Look at what a crapstorm of a team we had last season, yet that team still managed to win 7 games. While that's a losing record, I feel it could have been way worse. On top of that, we lost 3 games by giving up TD drives on the final drive of the game. If our D holds on for 2 of those 3 we have a 9 win team and would have made the playoffs ahead of BUF since we beat them head to head.

2. The trend of last year's team over the season. We started out losing games badly and not even scoring a TD in the first two. Middle of the season we got our footing under us and won some games we were supposed to win. By season's end, the OL didn't seem so terrible and was opening some holes for the RBs, and we finished by beating two teams fighting to make the playoffs. A steady upward trend across the entirety of the season.

3. We now have WRs to compliment and take focus off AJ. The man was on an island all last year with teams basically unconcerned with LaFell and focusing on AJ. He was still his great self, but carrying way to big a load. With Ross, Boyd and Malone shining, there is major room to hope that teams cannot double and triple AJ this year. Dalton does leave a lot to be desired, but he is very good at getting the ball into the hands of his play makers very quickly. With those guys getting open, his options are limitless and our O will be hard to stop.

4. Red zone possibilities. Picture the Bengals lining up in the red zone with AJ, Eifert and Auden Tate. And Mixon and Gio are both very good runners, and great as pass catchers too. If you're an opposing D, how do you stop that?

5. The LBs. How many games did the Bengals have to line up with Vinny Rey, and rookies Jordan Evans and Hardy Nickerson at LB last year? Not to mention Vigil's shortcomings. But this year, Preston Brown is a huge upgrade. Couple that with Evans now having experience and showing marked improvement, and Jefferson's athleticism, and the LB room is also way better than last year.

6. The coaching changes and organizational decision making changes. The coaching changes have been praised ad nauseum. But also the organizational changes such as letting ML pick new assistants, trading for Glenn, etc mean this team is finally starting to operate more like other successful teams.

These are the reasons I have changed my outlook from cautiously optimistic last preseason to excitedly optimistic this preseason. The only way these things cannot translate into at least 2-3 more wins is injuries (knock on wood). Can't wait to get to preseason games to see how this all comes together

Great post Beaker. So you have heard about Evans showing marked improvement? This is a big deal if true as he
has that size and speed combination that is very rare. He just needs to really improve in the tackling department.

Needs to study the way Burfict tackles, sink those hips and explode into the tackle.

BTW, last night there was a BS call with this new lowering the helmet rule that pretty much gave the Ravens a
TD in the HOF game against the Bears. Believed they called it on Orr. Not liking this rule as of right now.

(08-03-2018, 10:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: This upcoming season really is a season to have a lot of belief due to so many new faces but also "blind" optimism because we haven't seen those new faces actually produce on this team yet.

New faces on coaching staff we hope/think will make a great impact:
Frank Pollack
Teryl Austin
Alex Van Pelt
Daronte Jones
Bob Bicknell

New faces on the roster we hope/think will make a great impact:
Cordy Glenn
Preston Brown
Billy Price
Jessie Bates III
(I could throw in Hubbard, Jefferson, and Baker, but I don't think many expect any of them to play a significant role this year)

If the above guys actually are as we're believing them to be, this team will be in great shape. If not, we could see struggles again like the past two years.

I keep forgetting about Daronte Jones. Was hearing some good things about him i think from Kirkpatrick.

The players sure have seemed to buy in to these new coaches.

In the end i think Beaker is correct, injuries i think would be the main thing that could hold this team back.

That and inexperience with our rookie Center that might take some time to iron out.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:46 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I’m at 8-8 or 9-7. Still a lot of questions. The potential is there, but a wise person once told me potential just means “ain’t done it yet”. Gotta prove it when it counts. I do however remain cautiously optimistic that they just may do that this season. Time will tell.

That's me too.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:22 PM)hollodero Wrote: I'm not quite there yet regarding Jackson. I'm not saying he couldn't be what you see in him, I guess he can, but I think calling him the best young CB is a bit premature.

I also have no high hopes for Eifert. Which could make TE a tough spot, which could result in defensive adjustments, which could make life for DAlton et al. more difficult.

Honestly, that's pretty much everything I can do for you. Everything you say is argued solidly in my eyes. I just can say that I personally still see an 8-8 season, maybe that pretty much unfounded pessimism helps you.

According to PFF Jackson was arguably the best CB in the entire league last year.  I think it's safe to say he's the best of the young corners.

A few facts about WJIII's play last year:

Held Antonio Brown to 0 receptions.

Coverage snaps per reception: 26.4 (best in the league)

Lowest catch % allowed: 36.6% (best in the league)

Fewest yards allowed: 151 (best in the league)

Yards per coverage snap: 0.38 (3rd best in a season since 2006)

Passer rating: 36.1 (7th best since 2006)

Again, all this in essentially his rookie season.
:andy:
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:24 PM)WhoDeyandtheBlowFish Wrote: According to PFF Jackson was arguably the best CB in the entire league last year.  I think it's safe to say he's the best of the young corners.

OK, OK, I'm convinced... :)
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:24 PM)WhoDeyandtheBlowFish Wrote: According to PFF Jackson was arguably the best CB in the entire league last year.  I think it's safe to say he's the best of the young corners.

Yeah, i don't much stock into PFF but the stats don't lie, Will Jax is for real. About the only WR giving him troubles
has been Ross with his abnormal speed. When WJ3 is on AJ he has been covered. The guy getting Kirkpatrick or
Dennard is the guy usually making catches.

Dennard is really good and Dre is not as bad as some claim, just inconsistent. Will Jax could be the next great
shutdown Corner, great start.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:06 PM)SladeX Wrote: It sounds like Mixon is being counted upon to be a bellcow, which means we will be playing Marv's Favorite Style:

Close To The Vest

This, combined with his legendary clock management "skills", is a lethal combination that will cost us at least 2 wins.
If, somehow, we make the playoffs, then you can bet, double down I say, that Marv will play even Closer to the Vest.

We better hope that the Coordinators have the 'nads to override his ass (like Zimmer surely did). This team needs to go balls to the wall, overdrive, hell bent for leather in order to avoid those wonderfully entertaining end of half keystone cop routines we've all become accustomed to.

Great board, btw.
Welcome aboard!

I agree with you.   Half of winning is a mindset.  They need to be putting it all out there and ready to get back in there when someone inevitably knocks you off track.

I very much like the culture change on offense.  I'll be intrigued to see how the defense cues up.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great post Beaker. So you have heard about Evans showing marked improvement? This is a big deal if true as he
has that size and speed combination that is very rare. He just needs to really improve in the tackling department.

Needs to study the way Burfict tackles, sink those hips and explode into the tackle.

BTW, last night there was a BS call with this new lowering the helmet rule that pretty much gave the Ravens a
TD in the HOF game against the Bears. Believed they called it on Orr. Not liking this rule as of right now.

I keep forgetting about Daronte Jones. Was hearing some good things about him i think from Kirkpatrick.

The players sure have seemed to buy in to these new coaches.

In the end i think Beaker is correct, injuries i think would be the main thing that could hold this team back.

That and inexperience with our rookie Center that might take some time to iron out.

Didn't see the game unfortunately.  I think we can expect that refs are going to be calling this left and right to start the season.  Hopefully they get more conservative as the season goes on.
Reply/Quote
It's an 8-8 league. If things all pan out, they MAY be better than that. I'm in show me mode after the last two seasons.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:52 PM)3wt Wrote: Didn't see the game unfortunately.  I think we can expect that refs are going to be calling this left and right to start the season.  Hopefully they get more conservative as the season goes on.

From the ex-ref that was in the booth last night, "They are instructed to throw the flag on anything that is close to the helmet rule during the preseason and will gather all the info before week #1 and hash things out to clear things up for the refs."  
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:52 PM)3wt Wrote: Didn't see the game unfortunately.  I think we can expect that refs are going to be calling this left and right to start the season.  Hopefully they get more conservative as the season goes on.

Sure hope so, saw about 5 or 6 of these lowering the helmet calls and i didn't watch the entire game.

Collinsworth was his normal abnoxious self saying, "you just can't do that anymore."

Dungy was much better and was saying "well who do you call it on? The offense or defense anymore?"

This rule already just cost the Bears a Preseason game. Don't like it.

(08-03-2018, 02:07 PM)sandwedge Wrote: From the ex-ref that was in the booth last night, "They are instructed to throw the flag on anything that is close to the helmet rule during the preseason and will gather all the info before week #1 and hash things out to clear things up for the refs."  

They better get it cleared up, on the play on Orr he led with the shoulder even from what i saw.

Just a good hard hit that jarred out the ball.

Iloka will lose us games with this rule even if he leads with the shoulder from what i am seeing.
Reply/Quote

A fact many forget that makes him extra special...he was greatly desired by the steelers and we took him a pick or two ahead of them in the draft. We were looking WR in the first round, but the 4 top WRs went before our turn. That forced the Bengals to re-evaluate and we took Jackson forcing the steelers to settle for Artie Burns who so far has been serviceable at best. That makes Jackson that much sweeter.  :andy:
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 02:51 PM)Beaker Wrote: A fact many forget that makes him extra special...he was greatly desired by the steelers and we took him a pick or two ahead of them in the draft. We were looking WR in the first round, but the 4 top WRs went before our turn. That forced the Bengals to re-evaluate and we took Jackson forcing the steelers to settle for Artie Burns who so far has been serviceable at best. That makes Jackson that much sweeter.  :andy:

That was beautiful ha ha

One could argue that Burns has even been a bust so far.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 02:51 PM)Beaker Wrote: A fact many forget that makes him extra special...he was greatly desired by the steelers and we took him a pick or two ahead of them in the draft. We were looking WR in the first round, but the 4 top WRs went before our turn. That forced the Bengals to re-evaluate and we took Jackson forcing the steelers to settle for Artie Burns who so far has been serviceable at best. That makes Jackson that much sweeter.  :andy:

I certainly haven’t forgotten it!

(08-03-2018, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That was beautiful ha ha

One could argue that Burns has even been a bust so far.

I wouldn’t call Burns a bust, but he’s no WJ3!

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 08:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I certainly haven’t forgotten it!

I wouldn’t call Burns a bust, but he’s no WJ3!

I would agree with you but some Steeler fans certainly wouldn't on if Burns is a bust...

Lots on here said Dre was a bust and he might of been better early on when he got a shot.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 02:07 PM)sandwedge Wrote: From the ex-ref that was in the booth last night, "They are instructed to throw the flag on anything that is close to the helmet rule during the preseason and will gather all the info before week #1 and hash things out to clear things up for the refs."  

Look at bright side, Burfict will get to watch 4 weeks of how it is called prior to his first game with the rule.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 08:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Look at bright side, Burfict will get to watch 4 weeks of how it is called prior to his first game with the rule.

Good point.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 05:56 PM)Brimey Wrote: Year after year I convince myself that this is the year that the Bengals make the leap. And year after year the season ends with a definitive thud of reality. But I'm looking at this team realistically and not seeing why this year couldn't be the year. The year a corner is turned and this team not only is in the playoffs, but winning some games. So tell me where I'm wrong in my rose colored view of the team as it stands.

QB: B. Last time this team had healthy weapons and a decent offensive line number 14 had a great year. I believe he can do that again. He has to stay healthy though because the options behind him are scary.

RB: B+. Mixon could be an absolute stud, and Gio is still a dangerous guy with playmaking ability.

TE: B+ Eifert playing even 10 to 12 games and Kroft? That's a great tight end duo. Obviously health is key, but Eifert IS playing right now. So my optimism seems warranted.

OL: C- This grade is just below average. I don't see the line being a F anymore. We have a lot of young guys, and there is really no way to see how they will shape up. But apparently Ced is still bring abused in practice and standing out as the poorest lineman, and we we're counting on him to be our LT(!!!) last year! The line doesn't have to be great. Just average with the weaponry we have.

WR: B AJ Green automatically gives you a B. He's a top 5 receiver. And there is a plethora of young talent with top notch athleticism. Boyd, Malone, Ross, Tate as a red zone threat? The fact that they cut Lafell tells me the young guys are REALLY coming along. Red zone sets with Tate, Green, Eifert and Ross would be lethal.

DL. A Dunlap, Atkins and Lawson on passing downs? Oh my. Lawson looks like he has the ability to be the best edge rusher we've had in forever. Willis looks impressive. Billings stepping up and reaching his potential would be huge

LBs. D This is the weak spot to me. Burfict is a great linebacker when he is healthy and motivated (and my favorite player in the league to watch play) and not suspended. Brooks looks to be a solid backer. The rest are very meh. Someone will have to step up between Vigil, Jefferson and Evans.

CBs B+. We have arguably the best young CB in football. Solid vets rounding out the rest of the unit. Dre Isn't great, but he's probably the 3rd best corner on the team which he's certainly capable of filling that role.

S. C Iloka and Williams are average vets. Bates may be starting sooner than later.

We added the OL coach of probably the best OL in football, the QB coach of perhaps the best QB in football and a DC that preaches what we've wanted the Bengals to do for years...get the ball get the ball get the ball.

The national media understandably discounts this team any opportunity they have. And the thing is it's usually a narrative of the Head Coach is still there and so is the QB. Well I see all new coordinators and serious talent at every single level of the team. And some serious YOUNG talent.

So please, dispel my notions. Don't allow me to trick myself this year like I have so many times. Bring me back down to earth before the cold hard reality of Bengals football always seems to as the season progresses.

Never forget that this guy is STILL IN CHARGE!
Reply/Quote
Here is a good dose of reality

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-The-truth-about-our-O-line-situation
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 05:56 PM)Brimey Wrote: Year after year I convince myself that this is the year that the Bengals make the leap. And year after year the season ends with a definitive thud of reality. But I'm looking at this team realistically and not seeing why this year couldn't be the year. The year a corner is turned and this team not only is in the playoffs, but winning some games. So tell me where I'm wrong in my rose colored view of the team as it stands.

QB: B.    Last time this team had healthy weapons and a decent offensive line number 14 had a great year. I believe he can do that again. He has to stay healthy though because the options behind him are scary.

RB: B+.  Mixon could be an absolute stud, and Gio is still a dangerous guy with playmaking ability.

TE: B+ Eifert playing even 10 to 12 games and Kroft? That's a great tight end duo. Obviously health is key, but Eifert IS playing right now. So my optimism seems warranted.

OL: C-  This grade is just below average. I don't see the line being a F anymore. We have a lot of young guys, and there is really no way to see how they will shape up. But apparently Ced is still bring abused in practice and standing out as the poorest lineman, and we we're counting on him to be our LT(!!!) last year! The line doesn't have to be great. Just average with the weaponry we have.

WR: B AJ Green automatically gives you a B. He's a top 5 receiver. And there is a plethora of young talent with top notch athleticism. Boyd, Malone, Ross, Tate as a red zone threat? The fact that they cut Lafell tells me the young guys are REALLY coming along. Red zone sets with Tate, Green, Eifert and Ross would be lethal.

DL. A  Dunlap, Atkins and Lawson on passing downs? Oh my. Lawson looks like he has the ability to be the best edge rusher we've had in forever. Willis looks impressive. Billings stepping up and reaching his potential would be huge

LBs. D This is the weak spot to me. Burfict is a great linebacker when he is healthy and motivated (and my favorite player in the league to watch play) and not suspended. Brooks looks to be a solid backer. The rest are very meh. Someone will have to step up between Vigil, Jefferson and Evans.

CBs B+. We have arguably the best young CB in football. Solid vets rounding out the rest of the unit. Dre Isn't great, but he's probably the 3rd best corner on the team which he's certainly capable of filling that role.

S. C Iloka and Williams are average vets. Bates may be starting sooner than later.

We added the OL coach of probably the best OL in football, the QB coach of perhaps the best QB in football and a DC that preaches what we've wanted the Bengals to do for years...get the ball get the ball get the ball.

The national media understandably discounts this team any opportunity they have. And the thing is it's usually a narrative of the Head Coach is still there and so is the QB. Well I see all new coordinators and serious talent at every single level of the team. And some serious YOUNG talent.

So please, dispel my notions. Don't allow me to trick myself this year like I have so many times. Bring me back down to earth before the cold hard reality of Bengals football always seems to as the season progresses.

Think the red zone set would include Boyd before Ross. Ross being better when he can stretch the field, not sure enough hands in red zone imo.

But agree with just about everything else said.

Only bringing down to earth I can add is that the OL is still a big question mark presently. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'm a homer too but Marvin Lewis is still the coach, Dalton is still the QB and Mike Brown is still the owner. If we can overcome that, I'll be amazed.
Reply/Quote