Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
I'm going to become a Daddy!
Congratulations! Plenty of good advice already posted on here, so I'm not going to flood you with more of the same. I'll just add that sometimes it's best not to overthink what is going on, and just let it come to you. People have become 1st time parents for many thousands of years, I'm sure you'll make a great Dad!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Looks like your sig was speaking truth to power! Congrats buddy
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2017, 10:50 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: The wife just informed me last night we are pregnant!   I just came home from work and was going in for a "How was your day kiss" when she held out her hand.  She was holding a pregnancy test that clearly showed the positive result.  She was crying.  I was crying.  Holy buckets......what a moment.  I can't describe all the feelings I had going thru me.  

So.....do any of you veteran Dads have any advice for this Dad to be?  Any helpful hints or secrets to help get thru the next 8-9 months? 

First and foremost, congratulations from me as well as from my family in Kettering. There is some sage advice going on so I won't repeat any of it but let me throw my $0.02 worth in because being a father is the greatest thing ever. I remember finding out when our last child was on the way: It was Father's Day 2008 and my youngest daughter -- the biggest AJ Green fan since she was only two-- was born in February 2009.

The only additional advice I can offer is to treat your wife like the queen of your life she is. There will be weird cravings at all hours so be ready to jump in the car at a moment's notice to take care of them. Mrs. Fan_in_Kettering would crave spicy Mexican food during the day and doughnuts and ice chips at night. Also, change those diapers! We had a system: She filled and I emptied.

One piece of advice I'll leave you with is to tamp down on sarcasm and humor at the wrong moments which something I've never been able to do and I never will. When the lactation consultant comes in to make sure your baby is latching on correctly, etc. and she's manipulating your wife's mammary regions, the lactation consultant will ask anyone in the room if they have any questions. Do not ask what I did: "How do I get that job?"
Reply/Quote
Congrats Hawk !!

Good advice in here already.

I'll just say....
Feed your wife whatever she wants and make sure to touch her.
She may swat you and tell you no, but that's waaaay better than the mood she'll be in if you don't.
Good luck !

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 06:21 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: My wife and I found out we were pregnant in December. We're definitely pumped.

Congrats to you!

And even though this thread wasn't for me, great advice!

Congrats to you and your wife as well.  good luck
Reply/Quote
Congratulations.. The good news is they know what causes that these days.  The bad news is it's going to last a lot longer than you ever thought possible. 
My daughter just had her 3rd baby and from all reports she had been the most pregnant women in the history of pregnancy and chronicled every single second on Facebook. I never thought I would be thinking, Would you just have the damned kid and get it over with? 
Anyway, she's a beautiful little girl, perfectly healthy and I couldn't be happier for her. 
Now I have to sift through the daily mountain of baby selfies from now till the end of time. LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Wait..YOU'RE pregnant too? This IS a big deal..
You said "we are pregnant".. This is truly a new biological precedent..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 01:15 PM)grampahol Wrote: Congratulations.. The good news is they know what causes that these days.  The bad news is it's going to last a lot longer than you ever thought possible. 
My daughter just had her 3rd baby and from all reports she had been the most pregnant women in the history of pregnancy and chronicled every single second on Facebook. I never thought I would be thinking, Would you just have the damned kid and get it over with? 
Anyway, she's a beautiful little girl, perfectly healthy and I couldn't be happier for her. 
Now I have to sift through the daily mountain of baby selfies from now till the end of time. LOL

(02-14-2017, 01:19 PM)grampahol Wrote: Wait..YOU'RE pregnant too? This IS a big deal..
You said "we are pregnant".. This is truly a new biological precedent..

Thank you!  Ya we aren't the type of folks who will be plastering it all over FB.  Maybe a picture of the ultrasounds, but that's about it.  We still have a few people we have to tell yet that we don't want them to find out on FB. 

Well, my belly may look like I'm preggers, but alas, that's not the case.  If I were, I'd be rich beyond belief! 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Alright guys....we are coming down to the crunch time in the pregnancy.  We made the decision not to know what we are having.  So we have a girls name picked out already.  But our boy names are all over the place.  We cannot agree on anything.  So, I'm coming to you Klotch friends for some help.  What are some boy names you like?  Keep in mind, we are going for some of the older, classic names.

So far my list consists of: Isaac, Max, Hayden, Edward, Robert (I like Robert for the flexibility of it....Robert, Rob, Robbie, Bob, Bobbie, etc), and Theodore (Teddy).  I really like Nile and Kinnick too.   
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 12:50 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Alright guys....we are coming down to the crunch time in the pregnancy.  We made the decision not to know what we are having.  So we have a girls name picked out already.  But our boy names are all over the place.  We cannot agree on anything.  So, I'm coming to you Klotch friends for some help.  What are some boy names you like?  Keep in mind, we are going for some of the older, classic names.

So far my list consists of: Isaac, Max, Hayden, Edward, Robert (I like Robert for the flexibility of it....Robert, Rob, Robbie, Bob, Bobbie, etc), and Theodore (Teddy).  I really like Nile and Kinnick too.   

How about BengalHawk63?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 01:13 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: How about BengalHawk63?

I'm saving that for his/her username here when they become old enough to handle this band of ruffians around here.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 12:50 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Alright guys....we are coming down to the crunch time in the pregnancy.  We made the decision not to know what we are having.  So we have a girls name picked out already.  But our boy names are all over the place.  We cannot agree on anything.  So, I'm coming to you Klotch friends for some help.  What are some boy names you like?  Keep in mind, we are going for some of the older, classic names.

Waylon.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 03:18 PM)jason Wrote: Waylon.

She's already shot that one down.....but Hank is still hanging in there! I like Hank too.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2017, 10:50 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: The wife just informed me last night we are pregnant!   I just came home from work and was going in for a "How was your day kiss" when she held out her hand.  She was holding a pregnancy test that clearly showed the positive result.  She was crying.  I was crying.  Holy buckets......what a moment.  I can't describe all the feelings I had going thru me.  

So.....do any of you veteran Dads have any advice for this Dad to be?  Any helpful hints or secrets to help get thru the next 8-9 months? 

Sleep, sleep and more sleep. Get all the sleep you can, because you are NOT going to get as much once baby is born.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Oh, and talk to your wife's belly as much as possible the next 9 months.

I did so and when all 3 of my kids were born and placed in my arms, as soon as I started talking to them, they immediately stopped crying. Such a great feeling.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 05:23 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sleep, sleep and more sleep. Get all the sleep you can, because you are NOT going to get as much once baby is born.

I was lucky. My daughter was sleeping thru the night at like 2 months old.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 04:52 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: She's already shot that one down.....but Hank is still hanging in there! I like Hank too.

I didn't get far with that one myself. Turned out we had a girl anyway. I did come up with her name though.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Isaac 'Ike' Leeman Bengalhawk62 was born on 10/17/17. 7 lbs 8 ozs, 19 inches long. Everyone is doing fine.

My oh my. Never thought feelings like this existed. We had some trouble on the day of delivery so we had to go in after him. Sitting outside the OR, waiting for the surgeon to prep the wife for the c section, me n God had a pretty tight relationship. I'm not the most religious fella in the world, but even Pope Francis would have struggled to keep up with my rosary skills in that moment. Wowzers.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2017, 07:42 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Isaac 'Ike' Leeman Bengalhawk62 was born on 10/17/17. 7 lbs 8 ozs, 19 inches long. Everyone is doing fine.

My oh my. Never thought feelings like this existed. We had some trouble on the day of delivery so we had to go in after him. Sitting outside the OR, waiting for the surgeon to prep the wife for the c section, me n God had a pretty tight relationship. I'm not the most religious fella in the world, but even Pope Francis would have struggled to keep up with my rosary skills in that moment. Wowzers.

Awesome. Totally awesome!

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2017, 07:42 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Isaac 'Ike' Leeman Bengalhawk62 was born on 10/17/17.  7 lbs 8 ozs, 19 inches long.  Everyone is doing fine.  

My oh my.  Never thought feelings like this existed.  We had some trouble on the day of delivery so we had to go in after him. Sitting outside the OR, waiting for the surgeon to prep the wife for the c section, me n God had a pretty tight relationship.  I'm not the most religious fella in the world, but even Pope Francis would have struggled to keep up with my rosary skills in that moment.  Wowzers.

Congrats to Mom and Pop!
Glad the three of you are all healthy ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote