Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm gonna need taunting rules in JN
Because they work so well in the NFL:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-twitter-taunting-penalties-titans-seahawks-002508298.html

We had 2 called in our game and both were stupid
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because they work so well in the NFL:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-twitter-taunting-penalties-titans-seahawks-002508298.html

I don't really understand why this was made a point of emphasis. Never really seemed to be an issue. I mean I understand if you knock a guy out or injury him you don't need to be flexing standing over him but now a days a hit that would cause that would probably be flagged on its own.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it is that big of an issue, but I understand why the NFL wants to keep a lid on taunting. They want to project more of a mature image.

And employers are allowed to make rules regarding their employees behavior on the job. I could see a lawyer getting disciplined harshly for taunting an opposing attorney in the courtroom after a favorable ruling.

I know football is not like any job in the real world, but I still don't like taunting. I am kind of "middle of the road" on the "personal expression" issue in sports. I accept a lot more "celebration" than a lot of people like, but I don't like taunting. It seems childish to me. I understand teenagers getting into it, but it looks silly with grown men. They are not out in the street where anyone is going to get their ass kicked. So it doesn't look "tough". It just looks like a bunch of peacocks playing to the crowd.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think it is that big of an issue, but I understand why the NFL wants to keep a lid on taunting. They want to project more of a mature image.

And employers are allowed to make rules regarding their employees behavior on the job. I could see a lawyer getting disciplined harshly for taunting an opposing attorney in the courtroom after a favorable ruling.

I know football is not like any job in the real world, but I still don't like taunting. I am kind of "middle of the road" on the "personal expression" issue in sports. I accept a lot more "celebration" than a lot of people like, but I don't like taunting. It seems childish to me. I understand teenagers getting into it, but it looks silly with grown men. They are not out in the street where anyone is going to get their ass kicked. So it doesn't look "tough". It just looks like a bunch of peacocks playing to the crowd.

Aren’t these guys entertainers though? I enjoy the rough mentality that some defenses have, and barking at other players is commonplace out there. The Vonn Bell penalty was absurd imo, guys should be able to talk trash to each other….

All I know is that old vets of the 60s and 70s are laughing at how dumb this has become. Much of their game was based around intimidation. The HoF is built around guys who were known to strike fear into their opponents during the play and after… Rivalry games especially should have a little grit to them IMO.
Reply/Quote
It is bogus. Use it!
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 07:42 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Aren’t these guys entertainers though? I enjoy the rough mentality that some defenses have, and barking at other players is commonplace out there. The Vonn Bell penalty was absurd imo, guys should be able to talk trash to each other….

All I know is that old vets of the 60s and 70s are laughing at how dumb this has become. Much of their game was based around intimidation. The HoF is built around guys who were known to strike fear into their opponents during the play and after… Rivalry games especially should have a little grit to them IMO.
I agree. I get a lot of the "roughing" calls; even thought they can be a bit much. But when you get flagged for hurting an opponent's feelings, we might have jumped the shark. 

Reply/Quote
I haven't seen a single taunting foul called that I've agreed with. They've all been so minor, nothing over the top. And wasn't the over the top taunting already called as an unsportsmanlike penalty? If the nfl really thinks this is such an important rule, maybe implement a 1 warning per team then the next one is a foul? Just a dumb rule period and adds more interpretation calls to the game when there are already too many.
Reply/Quote
Fans call a lot of flags and penalties stupid and wimpy, but I'll be damned if they don't cheer their assess off when the softest flag saves their team's drive. So it goes.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because they work so well in the NFL:

Not to say I agree with it, but the Bears player standing over our player clapping is going to be called every time. You can't stand over a player. The rest of them, especially in the Seattle game, were bullcrap. If this is the way it is going to be, I'm going to need a taunting call every time TJ Twat does his brother's war dance after getting a sack. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think it is that big of an issue, but I understand why the NFL wants to keep a lid on taunting. They want to project more of a mature image.

If they want a mature image they should work on DUI’s and their players beating and raping women before celebrating a good play.
Reply/Quote
I realize this doesn't pertain to the NFL, but the Big 12 this year passed a new rule where if a player throws up the "Horns Down" symbol to taunt the Texas Longhorns, that will now be considered taunting and a 15 yard penalty.  Just another example of the Big 12 pandering to the will of Texas in my eyes.  About 2 weeks later after this ruling, the Longhorns and Sooners said sayonara to the league and is bolting to the SEC.   

There will forever be taunting in football. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 07:42 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Aren’t these guys entertainers though? I enjoy the rough mentality that some defenses have, and barking at other players is commonplace out there. The Vonn Bell penalty was absurd imo, guys should be able to talk trash to each other….

The old-school tough guys did their intimidation with their play.

It was about the force of the hit.  Not prancing and flexing afterward.  Guys like Nitzche and Butkus didn't do a lot of strutting and preening.  After they knocked someone's head off they just walked back to the huddle.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:44 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't really understand why this was made a point of emphasis. Never really seemed to be an issue. I mean I understand if you knock a guy out or injury him you don't need to be flexing standing over him but now a days a hit that would cause that would probably be flagged on its own.

Cause Violence is okay....

As long as no one gets and hurt feelings.

But a lot of the taunting is just show boating. and not really needed....
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 08:35 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: If they want a mature image they should work on DUI’s and their players beating and raping women before celebrating a good play.

They are working in suppressing the criminal element.

And as I said before I treat "celebration" a lot different from "taunting".  I don't mind celebrating.  The NFL allows celebration.  But "taunting" is poor sportsmanship.  It looks immature to me.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They are working in suppressing the criminal element.

And as I said before I treat "celebration" a lot different from "taunting".  I don't mind celebrating.  The NFL allows celebration.  But "taunting" is poor sportsmanship.  It looks immature to me.

The end zone camera where a team as to go and mug for the camera throwing up gang signs is immature to me. I  guess it's all about perspective
Reply/Quote
This is the wording for the rule:

Quote:SECTION 3 UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT
ARTICLE 1. PROHIBITED ACTS. There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct. This applies to any act which is contrary to the
generally understood principles of sportsmanship. Such acts specifically include, among others:

© Using baiting or taunting acts or words that may engender ill will between teams.

Who the hell interprets that?

Is this taunting:
[Image: 200.gif]

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This is the wording for the rule:

Who the hell interprets that?

Is this taunting:
[Image: 200.gif]
that is stiff arming
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:45 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: that is stiff arming

But he called him a mean name while doing it. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The end zone camera where a team as to go and mug for the camera throwing up gang signs is immature to me. I  guess it's all about perspective

Well let's talk about our own behavior as fans.

Do you see any difference in "maturity" between fans that celebrate a great play by their own team and fans that start fights with opposing fans?

I do.

Everyone, even "mature" people, celebrate.  Only punks try to taunt and start fights.

If you were coaching a Pee-Wee football team would you teach the players that taunting was acceptable but celebrating was not?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 08:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not to say I agree with it, but the Bears player standing over our player clapping is going to be called every time. You can't stand over a player. The rest of them, especially in the Seattle game, were bullcrap. If this is the way it is going to be, I'm going to need a taunting call every time TJ Twat does his brother's war dance after getting a sack. 

Yep. That is and has always been a flag. 

Standing next to someone and talking junk should not get flagged though.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote