Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
I'm just tired of Bengals football, man
(12-25-2023, 01:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: My point is, if it makes you miserable, walk away and watch something else. Don't try to make everyone else miserable too. (And that's directed at all the complainers, not just one) Everyone always said, we need a backup QB that can come in and win you 3 or 4 games, and that's it. Well, that's what we have, Browning came in lost one, won 3, and lost another one. He'll likely win at least 1 more. But now it's the end of the world. After Burrow went out for the season, did anyone really expect to go all the way this year? C'mon man.. enjoy the rest of the season for what it is and support our players who are still out there playing. in 3-weeks, without Burrow, Reader and the rest, we likely won't even have any football to watch. 

Yep, when the season ends, even if it's been a bad season and we never even got near the playoffs, I'm always a little down that it's over.  So, I try to enjoy it while I can and recognize that it's supposed to be a fun thing, after all.  Apparently others see it differently.  There may be no playoffs but we can still pull off a win next week or the week following and at least have a winning season.  And, hell, maybe they can win two and get a little help. Fingers crossed.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 11:12 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This season has absolutely sucked for so many reasons.

The Burrow calf injury. Sucking to start the year. Then Joe getting and healthy and the Bengals being good. Then Burrow getting injured and out for the year. Then sucking again. Then being good again with Browning. And then finally sucking again and riding the Jake Browning roller coaster a long the way.

Not to mention three of our best players getting severely injured a long the way.

I'm just tired. This has been an awful, awful season and I'm just ready for it to be over. I can't even say it's been fun.

This was supposed to be a Super Bowl year and it's been one of my least favorite seasons in recent memory.

I'm tired of being tormented. Just put me down.

We're going to have to win injured, and that is the Cincy Bengals issue for their franchise, their backups are not as good as other team's backups and are noticeably worse.

The SB year we were one of the least injured teams IIRC. We had all the luck. You won't get that again most likely (so little injuries or almost full health into the SB).

When Andy was 8-0 and injured his thumb it was over. Now most team's QB goes out it's game over, except the Browns I guess lol.

That said with even just a little better defense I think we already clinched the playoffs, lol. Has any team with the worst defense in the league in some statistical categories win the superbowl (or even make the playoffs?!). I like how people bring up Brett Favre when I say you won't win with Josh Allen's INT, I don't care how many TDs he throws, that INT is going to cost you in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2023, 09:34 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yep, when the season ends, even if it's been a bad season and we never even got near the playoffs, I'm always a little down that it's over.  So, I try to enjoy it while I can and recognize that it's supposed to be a fun thing, after all.  Apparently others see it differently.  There may be no playoffs but we can still pull off a win next week or the week following and at least have a winning season.  And, hell, maybe they can win two and get a little help. Fingers crossed.

And these are the same people who criticize Stealers fans for having their whole identity and self-worth tied to that team's wins. It's so Pot/Kettle it's hilarious.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 11:34 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: We're going to have to win injured, and that is the Cincy Bengals issue for their franchise, their backups are not as good as other team's backups and are noticeably worse.

The SB year we were one of the least injured teams IIRC. We had all the luck. You won't get that again most likely (so little injuries or almost full health into the SB).

When Andy was 8-0 and injured his thumb it was over. Now most team's QB goes out it's game over, except the Browns I guess lol.

That said with even just a little better defense I think we already clinched the playoffs, lol. Has any team with the worst defense in the league in some statistical categories win the superbowl (or even make the playoffs?!). I like how people bring up Brett Favre when I say you won't win with Josh Allen's INT, I don't care how many TDs he throws, that INT is going to cost you in the playoffs.
We were 10-2 when Andy got hurt, we actually won 2 of 3 last 3 games and lose was in OT with AJ and we blew playoff game. I agree injuries kill teams, I read a stat last week that normally majority of team's that make playoffs are least injured so other teams struggle also. Looking around league Browning has played better in his 5 starts than a majority of backups this year.. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Have seen tougher times as a Bengals fan and not ready to be put down just yet.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 01:07 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Have seen tougher times as a Bengals fan and not ready to be put down just yet.

There have been some Great Depression level seasons in the past (so to speak)

This is more like a Mild Recession season to me by comparison.

We got to have the Highest of Hopes in the Summer, then the Burrow is hurt downer, then the Burrow is healthy again upper, 

then another Burrow is hurt again downer, then the Browning is doing good upper, then the Steelers beat us with Browning downer.

Still 2 games left for another upper, so let it play out and force another NFL Team to put us down if they can.  Popcorn

Definitely seen tougher times...
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 01:07 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Have seen tougher times as a Bengals fan and not ready to be put down just yet.

Especially in the '90s when we couldn't even see them because of blackouts.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 12:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And these are the same people who criticize Stealers fans for having their whole identity and self-worth tied to that team's wins. It's so Pot/Kettle it's hilarious.

I think the more annoying fans are the ones who start talking about 6 SB trophies (4 of them coming 50 or so years ago by this point) every time the Steelers are down.

I was at a Bears @ Steelers game in 2014 and the fans at the stadium were all like:

Score tied - GO STEELERS!
Bears are up by 10 points - Yeah well we have 6 super bowls, they don't.
Steelers score and bring it within reach - GO STEELERS!
Julius Peppers runs a QB strip sack in for a game-sealing TD - Yeah well we have 6 super bowls, they don't.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2023, 05:03 PM)jason Wrote: That defense has been bought and paid for... Hubbard, Bates, Pratt, and Wilson were the only homegrown contributors over the past 3 seasons. We all raved about the second half adjustments against KC, but they've been a middle of the road (at best) unit under Lou. They definitely haven't lived up to the pricetag.

The entire defensive philosophy has to change. To many 3rd and long being completed. The entire bend but don't break puts too much pressure on the D.
Reply/Quote

Remember waiting to week 7 or 8 to get our 1st win of the season....LMAO
Reply/Quote

No kidding, I remember seasons where the most I was hoping for was to not go 0-16
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 09:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No kidding, I remember seasons where the most I was hoping for was to not go 0-16

and if the 1 Win could be against the Steelers then that was our Super Bowl...

The lowest of hopes.
Reply/Quote
I too am over this season.
That's naturally going to happen when your QB is injured for so much of it.
It is nice to see the OL finally gelling though, and I do think it's possible that Jonah is retained when all is said and done.

While some might knock Jonah for allowing 8 sacks this season, he's only allowed 36 total pressures.
Compare that to the guy that replaced him in OBJ, who has only been tagged with 5 sacks but 56 total pressures allowed(!!!!)

And with Volson's recent performance, he's close to Cappa in regards to sacks and total pressures allowed now (4-35 for Volson, 4-31 for Cappa).
Karras doing very well only allowing 20 total pressures.

With Reader continually injured and about to hit FA, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Jonah on a multi-year deal to cover RT while looking at the draft for a new NT and WR to (eventually?) take over as starters.
Re-sign Hudson as well as a stopgap TE if anything and see if any worthy TE falls to the Bengals in the draft at that position as well.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 01:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I too am over this season.
It is nice to see the OL finally gelling though, and I do think it's possible that Jonah is retained when all is said and done.

While some might knock Jonah for allowing 8 sacks this season, he's only allowed 36 total pressures.
Compare that to the guy that replaced him in OBJ, who has only been tagged with 5 sacks but 56 total pressures allowed(!!!!)

And with Volson's recent performance, he's close to Cappa in regards to sacks and total pressures allowed now (4-35 for Volson, 4-31 for Cappa).

With Reader continually injured and about to hit FA, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Jonah on a multi-year deal to cover RT while looking at the draft for a new NT and WR to (eventually?) take over as starters.
Re-sign Hudson as well as a stopgap TE if anything and see if any worthy TE falls to the Bengals in the draft at that position as well.

The only thing I disagree with is keeping Jonah over Reader. I would look for a new RT in FA and draft Reader's eventual replacement, if there is one in this draft.
I am just done with Williams, he has no athleticism and gets overpowered to easily. 
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 01:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: The only thing I disagree with is keeping Jonah over Reader. I would look for a new RT in FA and draft Reader's eventual replacement, if there is one in this draft.
I am just done with Williams, he has no athleticism and gets overpowered to easily. 

Have you looked at the (potential) upcoming RTs set to hit FA?
There aren't a lot of good options.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm with ya man. This season has been exhausting and the Steelers loss week took the air out of the football spirit. Browning with his worst game yet and the defense who just gives up yards at will. I'm sick of watching first down run after first down run go for 6-8 yards a pop. Teams have their entire playbook available and Bengals on their heels. We aren't technically eliminated from the playoffs but it sure feels like we have been eliminated already.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 01:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I too am over this season.

That is a ton of pressures for Orlando, geez. Man, this last game against Twatt made me meh on keeping Jonah honestly. Pathetic effort
from him, he was completely dominated. T'Vondre Sweat would be the perfect Reader replacement and we might be able to get him in 
the 2nd round after grabbing a player like Fuaga in the 1st.

(12-27-2023, 01:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: The only thing I disagree with is keeping Jonah over Reader. I would look for a new RT in FA and draft Reader's eventual replacement, if there is one in this draft.

We just don't know if Reader will come back healthy after that injury, that is the question. Otherwise, I would completely agree with you.

(12-27-2023, 02:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Have you looked at the (potential) upcoming RTs set to hit FA?
There aren't a lot of good options.

Eluemunor would be a nice grab IMO.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 11:32 AM)Goalpost Wrote: 8-2 in games outside their division, yet, practically eliminated.

Reminds me a of a Marvin Lewis quote...

"If you want to win the division you have to win the division games"  Or it was something similar to that. 

We went 6-0 in the North that year and got into the playoffs at 10-6. So 4-6 outside of the division. 

We're a very good team, but we're what... 7-10 in the division in the past 3 seasons? That's a real limiter on a team hoping to be a #1 seed. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 10:12 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Reminds me a of a Marvin Lewis quote...

"If you want to win the division you have to win the division games"  Or it was something similar to that. 

We went 6-0 in the North that year and got into the playoffs at 10-6. So 4-6 outside of the division. 

We're a very good team, but we're what... 7-10 in the division in the past 3 seasons? That's a real limiter on a team hoping to be a #1 seed. 

I would say Burrow being banged up has been a large reason for this. Need to improve big time on Defense of course, but if we had a 
healthy Burrow I highly doubt our Division record would be this bad. Both last year and this year we opened up against our rivals with a 
hurt Burrow coming off an appendectomy and a bad calf strain.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 02:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would say Burrow being banged up has been a large reason for this. Need to improve big time on Defense of course, but if we had a 
healthy Burrow I highly doubt our Division record would be this bad. Both last year and this year we opened up against our rivals with a 
hurt Burrow coming off an appendectomy and a bad calf strain.

It might not be this bad, but a healthy Burrow only led us to a 7-5 record in the division the past 2 seasons. 7-4 if we consider him banged up for week 1 Steelers game last year (he was clearly off, like you've said). 

In those two years, the Ravens had pretty severe injury issues both times we met them the 2nd time round (the 525-yard game, I think guys from this forum were in the Ravens secondary! They were on 3rd string QB in Week 18 last season). We could've won those games in any case (beat them the next week in the playoffs after all), but I don't think we met the Ravens best on either occasion.   

I dunno man, I just think the way we are built is bad for how the AFCN plays. I think even if Burrow is healthy we'll on average get 3-4 division wins. Which granted would've been more than enough this year!
Reply/Quote