Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm kind of glad the Oline got dominated.....
This is the same O-line we had last year except Ogbuehi replacing Dre at RT. So I am pretty sure there was some special reason they looked so bad Sunday. If it was all Bodine's fault then they would have been giving up 7 sacks a game for the last two years.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 12:41 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: I know it will be viewed as an excuse, but I mean, the Jets REALLY do have a tremendous front 7.  I doubt they'll get 7 sacks every game this season, but it can't be just brushed aside that they are possibly the BEST front 7 in the NFL currently in terms of strength, push, etc...  AND that crowd was jacked most of the afternoon, which I think is also valid and cannot be understated.  That said, clearly the middle of our Oline got dominated, and that seems to be a trend almost regardless of who we played last year too, so there's definitely a concern there...  The Jets front 7 ARE really good.  That crowd noise was a REAL factor for Oline communication.  These are facts.  However, the middle of the Oline needs to hold up better.  That is also a fact

We did not handle stunts well. Our rookie RT twice did not pick up stunts leading to 2 sacks, but not sure if it was all on him or on Zeitler or both. The bottom line is our OL was dominated all day by the Jets DL and regardless of how good the Jets DL is and they are great, we need to get better. We can't have our QB get sacked 7 times and hit almost 20 times in one game. Also, our offense only had the ball for 25 minutes so the T.O.P. makes it worse. On a positive note, our offense still out gained the Jets running a lot less plays. Our defense gave up less yards in spite of being on the field for 35 minutes in the extreme heat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 12:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We did not handle stunts well. Our rookie RT twice did not pick up stunts leading to 2 sacks, but not sure if it was all on him or on Zeitler or both. The bottom line is our OL was dominated all day by the Jets DL and regardless of how good the Jets DL is and they are great, we need to get better. We can't have our QB get sacked 7 times and hit almost 20 times in one game. Also, our offense only had the ball for 25 minutes so the T.O.P. makes it worse. On a positive note, our offense still out gained the Jets running a lot less plays. Our defense gave up less yards in spite of being on the field for 35 minutes in the extreme heat.

I don't disagree with that at all!

But as you referenced with the rest of the post, I'll gladly take the good with the bad if there's a W at the end of the day! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is the same O-line we had last year except Ogbuehi replacing Dre at RT.  So I am pretty sure there was some special reason they looked so bad Sunday.  If it was all Bodine's fault then they would have been giving up 7 sacks a game for the last two years.

Bodine is dreadful, there's no argument for that.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Poor performance by the O-line yesterday for sure. But not a lot of alternatives for Bodine on the team either. Fisher & Ogbuehi will no doubt get better with experience.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 12:55 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Bodine is dreadful, there's no argument for that.

What does that have to do with the point that I made?

Bodine is just the popular whipping boy.  He is not that good, but he is not the worst center in the league like the haters here like to claim.  
Reply/Quote
IMO, the most important aspect to success at OLine is that unit's health throughout the year. They stay together, they will get better every week. Since this is the first time this exact unit played together (including preseason), improvement is expected.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 12:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We did not handle stunts well. Our rookie RT twice did not pick up stunts leading to 2 sacks, but not sure if it was all on him or on Zeitler or both. The bottom line is our OL was dominated all day by the Jets DL and regardless of how good the Jets DL is and they are great, we need to get better. We can't have our QB get sacked 7 times and hit almost 20 times in one game. Also, our offense only had the ball for 25 minutes so the T.O.P. makes it worse. On a positive note, our offense still out gained the Jets running a lot less plays. Our defense gave up less yards in spite of being on the field for 35 minutes in the extreme heat.

Agree with this, but would add that Bodine did look terrible.  He was getting pushed 2-3 yards into the backfield on most plays.  Between Bodine, Zeitler, and Ced none of them looked very good at all.  Yes, the Jets defensive line is good, but Andy should not take a beating like that.  Especially when you figure in how quickly he gets rid of the ball.  They need to get it fixed, because he won't survive a season of hits like that.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 08:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: 7 sacks on Andy Dalton. In years past, when the oline has a game like this, Whit and crew take it personal and come out and reek havoc in the next game. So, watch lots and lots of game film this week boys, and get pissed off that you let Andy hit the ground 7 times....... then take it out on the Stoolers..... Rock On

I hope you are right but we need to do something about Bodine. I like Sunset's idea, put Boling at Center.

LT- Whit LG Fisher C Boling RG Zeit RT Og
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is the same O-line we had last year except Ogbuehi replacing Dre at RT. So I am pretty sure there was some special reason they looked so bad Sunday. If it was all Bodine's fault then they would have been giving up 7 sacks a game for the last two years.

So it's Ced's fault?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 01:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What does that have to do with the point that I made?

Bodine is just the popular whipping boy.  He is not that good, but he is not the worst center in the league like the haters here like to claim.  

Ced I give a pass because of his lack of experience. Bodine has had plenty of time to improve, and we haven't seen dick from him.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 01:23 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Ced I give a pass because of his lack of experience. Bodine has had plenty of time to improve, and we haven't seen dick from him.

The truth
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 01:23 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Ced I give a pass because of his lack of experience. Bodine has had plenty of time to improve, and we haven't seen dick from him.

Admittedly I am not an expert on offensive line play, but yesterday really seemed to stand out.  He was just getting blown up play after play.  We watch it in a restaurant with no sound, so not sure if the announcers talked about it at all.  There were three groups of Bengals fan, and everyone in our corner was pointing it out the entire game.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 01:28 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Admittedly I am not an expert on offensive line play, but yesterday really seemed to stand out.  He was just getting blown up play after play.  We watch it in a restaurant with no sound, so not sure if the announcers talked about it at all.  There were three groups of Bengals fan, and everyone in our corner was pointing it out the entire game.

It was obvious Bodine was getting worked... Just imagine if Sheldon Richardson had been active, maybe a 10 sack game?

Ced looked timid, and wasn't very nasty in his blocking. He needs to engage better, but these are things he can learn from.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 12:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ...in spite of being on the field for 35 minutes in the extreme heat.

Extreme heat?  It was a gorgeous, COMFORTABLE day on the east coast, on Sunday.
(low 80's and low humidity)
UNLIKE the day before when it was in the 90's and HUMID.
Reply/Quote
Zeitler gave up at least one sack as well. And based on his performance last year overall, I dont know if he is livin up to his 1st round status to be honest.

If I had to rank the o-lineman in order from best to worst going forward, I would have Whit first, then Boling & Zeitler tied, Ced, then Bodine. Probably shouldnt have Ced in there after 1 game, but at least that is where he would be today.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Hopefully the line as a whole comes out on Sunday with something to prove. They can't be proud of their performance yesterday. The tape will make it worse.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Paul Alexander needs to get his head out of his ***** ass.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 03:20 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Extreme heat?  It was a gorgeous, COMFORTABLE day on the east coast, on Sunday.
(low 80's and low humidity)
UNLIKE the day before when it was in the 90's and HUMID.

Did you not watch the pre game where they showed the temp on the field and it was right around 95 degrees? I was surprised it was so hot there....
Reply/Quote

I don't think anyone wants to see that...
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote