Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm rethinking our QB stance
(03-27-2019, 10:18 PM)Synric Wrote: I could see the Dolphins, Giants, and maybe even the Redskins taking a shot at Daniel Jones in the first round. What's great is the Bengals could be the gateway to that pick.

(03-27-2019, 10:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is just downright silly. I guarantee Rosen will not be out of the NFL within a few years. He’s definitely a starting caliber QB.

It’s funny that every excuse under the sun has been made for Dalton over the years (coaching, OL, no running game, etc), but we’re ready to call this kid a total bust after his rookie season on an absolutely TERRIBLE team?
Jones going round 1 for sure. Bengals maybe ?
Reply/Quote
I think were in a good position in rd 1 to trade back with the Giants, Redskins or Dolphins and gain a 3rd rd pick at the least and still get a guy we want in the top 17.

1) Devin Bush, TJ Hockenson, Rashaan Gary, Ed Oliver, Cody Ford, or Andre Dillard. and then we get another pick in the 3rd to address another area of need in the top 80!!
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 11:24 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Jones going round 1 for sure. Bengals maybe ?

You'd be getting almost the exact same QB as Dalton. Downside is Dalton makes excellent decisions and knows NFL defenses. Upside you're eventually dropping a 20mil contract.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Andy is only 31 yrs old, Brady is 40. Andy has 9 more years as a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 12:03 AM)Synric Wrote: You'd be getting almost the exact same QB as Dalton. Downside is Dalton makes excellent decisions and knows NFL defenses. Upside you're eventually dropping a 20mil contract.

Terrible take. Jones is 605 220 n can scramble n has a bigger arm than Dalton the reason you might compare the two is because they both aren’t flashy n Jones has the simple same. You just don’t know what your getting from Jones because he’s a rookie , but he was coached up by the Manning mentor coach Cutcliffe.
Reply/Quote
I still say we have more pressing needs than QB. And I am not convinced Rosen would be the answer anyway.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 02:04 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: I know we don't know what the team does in regards to moves, but if AZ really is drafting a QB, Rosen should be considered for a lower rounder by this team.

He can learn under Dalton without pressure to perform, he is a cheap long term replacement.  He did show reasonable progress in AZ with a bad team.  He is not expensive.  Draft picks are crapshoots, so at least we know what is being had.

There may be more, but I gave this a little consideration and don't hate the idea.  Obviously, the price AZ wants is the wild card here.

Rosen will fetch a 2nd or 3rd. Sadly people think getting him will put us in a good situation but he's really no different then Dalton, but with a better contract.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 11:32 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I think were in a good position in rd 1 to trade back with the Giants, Redskins or Dolphins and gain a 3rd rd pick at the least and still get a guy we want in the top 17.

1) Devin Bush, TJ Hockenson, Rashaan Gary, Ed Oliver, Cody Ford, or Andre Dillard. and then we get another pick in the 3rd to address another area of need in the top 80!!

As fans these common sense scenarios seem like easy decisions. I agree, if White is not there at #11, great plan to trade back and I agree a QB like Jones or Lock may be appealing for a team to move up.

I don't know a lot about Jones or Lock, but Jones sure has the size to see the field better than AD. But, great athletes with speed and size do not always have great minds also which is essential for a pocket passing NFL QB.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 02:04 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: I know we don't know what the team does in regards to moves, but if AZ really is drafting a QB, Rosen should be considered for a lower rounder by this team.

He can learn under Dalton without pressure to perform, he is a cheap long term replacement.  He did show reasonable progress in AZ with a bad team.  He is not expensive.  Draft picks are crapshoots, so at least we know what is being had.

There may be more, but I gave this a little consideration and don't hate the idea.  Obviously, the price AZ wants is the wild card here.

I don't think AZ will take anything as low as a third rounder...I would imagine it would have to be a first rounder or a very high 2nd at the very least.  I think a 2nd rounder is fair as the team that takes Rosen will have already lost one year until he becomes a free agent (5th year club option on 1st rounders).  

I personally wouldn't want him as he isn't a very mobile QB and has a history of concussions.  The perfect place for him is New England.  If Belichek can slide back out of Rd 1 and pick up an additional 2nd rounder, they may use one on him.  They can protect him...the Bengals can't 
Reply/Quote
Rather have dalton. Why would you want to replace dalton with a guy who had 11 tds and 14 ints and 66 passer rating? And use a high draft pick to do it.. hard pass.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 12:15 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Andy is only 31 yrs old, Brady is 40.  Andy has 9 more years as a Bengal.

Oh god please no!!
AD is a good QB but is only going to go downhill over the next few years, I see us sticking with him this year and maybe next but we really need to draft someone to sit behind him and is ready to take over.
If we don't draft our future QB in this draft we need to sign a decent backup and get a guy in the next draft
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 12:15 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Andy is only 31 yrs old, Brady is 40. Andy has 9 more years as a Bengal.

Do even the most hardened Dalton backers want this to happen???

I mean if we are going to remain mediocre/half-crappy for the next 9 years could we at least do it differently for the sake of variety?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 12:15 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Andy is only 31 yrs old, Brady is 40.  Andy has 9 more years as a Bengal.

That sounds somewhat insane, but then I realize that the only two franchise QBs that played under Mike Brown left the Bengals while they had 5 or so years left of football in them.  It's possible that Dalton is here as long as he wants to be in the NFL as long as he doesn't demand a trade to his home state! 
Reply/Quote

Well, the rub is Andy has been under Marvin his entire career up until now. It's unknown how he'll do under Zac. We could see drastic improvements or we could see drastic steps backwards and Andy devolve into J Football 2.0. I don't see the huge devolution happening. I think we have a much better chance of him getting better with a new staff than getting worse. QB is the rare position that seems to improve with age as opposed to positions that rely on speed, youth and vigor ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 05:08 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Terrible take.  Jones is 605 220 n can scramble n has a bigger arm than Dalton the reason you might compare the two is because they both aren’t flashy n Jones has the simple same.  You just don’t know what your getting from Jones because he’s a rookie , but he was coached up by the Manning mentor coach Cutcliffe.

Dalton had the stronger arm coming out of college with 56mph velocity (61st percentile) compared to Daniel Jones 54mph (37th percentile) for comparison Josh Allen was 62 and Baker Mayfield 60. Dalton was also consider a mobile QB coming out of TCUs spread system and had alot higher agility scores than Jones but Jones has better burst scores. As a passer coming out Dalton averaged 9.0 ypc with a 66% accuracy Jones 6.8 ypc 60% accuracy (Jones receivers did have a ton of drop passes). Dalron made alot better decisions coming out than Jones who is known to just throw balls up and try to make throws he shouldnt. Have to also remember Dalton has also improved in all these areas by seeing the world's best throwing mechanics coach in Tom House.

These two guys are very similar solid, accurate, with average NFL arms. They are both more of a game manager than a QB that is going to carry the team in back.

All that said Daniel Jones would likely fit the under center play action scheme that Zac Taylor is hinting at...as does Dalton. If you take Jones they can trade Dalton next offseason for 4th ish round composition and get out from under a 20 mil contract. But you are gonna get a slightly taller Andy Dalton. I think Jones actual player comp is Ryan Tannehill.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote