Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
I'm sick of the optimism!
(12-06-2023, 05:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I agree. Browning is more likely to become the next Matt Flynn rather than Warner or Romo. It isn't impossible for Browning to all of a sudden light the world on fire, but it is unlikely. If he can just play well and make the games fun to watch, then I am on board. 

The old, less burned out me would make a thread of all the QB's who came off the bench and did a great job, but didn't turn into Warner, Brady or Purdy.

Off the top, we have Matt Flynn, Case Keenum, Matt Cassel, Shaun Hill, and I know Charlie Batch always seemed to win games for the Steelers.

On our end, Jeff Blake was once our 3rd string QB.

(12-06-2023, 05:05 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Best case is Nick Foles 2.0 and the 2023 Bengals are like the 2011 NY Giants: an average team that wins the Super Bowl.

Who Dey

Well, I did say "realistic", buddy. LOL

Ah, screw it. Super Bowl, here we come!
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 04:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've watched Jeff Blake take us to a 31-13 lead only for our defense to give up 5 consecutive TD's and lose 31-49.

I watched the 1999 team give up a franchise record 460 points.

I watched the 2002 team allow at least 27 points in 13 of 16 games.

I watched the 2018 team allow 414 yards and 28.4 ppg, including 45 to KC and 51 to NO.

What we've seen this year isn't up to our recent standards, but I have higher (lower?) standards for "horrible".

If Jake Browning could play like this the rest of the year, we could be competitive. Never say never.

That said, just knowing what I know, I'm not sure it's wise to assume Browning continues to set the world ablaze. You often see backups with little to no film on them come in and have a huge game. Then defenses adjust and take away what made them successful, and we find out why that QB was a backup.

I doubt Browning is a Warner, Brady, Romo, Purdy success story. The best case realistic scenario is that he's another Case Keenum or someone who can come in, post some good stats and win some games.

Yes, I doubt Browning becomes some kind of star QB or anything, like you said a Keenum type that can do enough to win some 
games is good enough for me. The cool part in my opinion though was this was a Primetime game that he played so well in which
gives me hope in the big games with Browning.

(12-06-2023, 05:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I agree. Browning is more likely to become the next Matt Flynn rather than Warner or Romo. It isn't impossible for Browning to all of a sudden light the world on fire, but it is unlikely. If he can just play well and make the games fun to watch, then I am on board. 

Same.

(12-06-2023, 05:05 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Best case is Nick Foles 2.0 and the 2023 Bengals are like the 2011 NY Giants: an average team that wins the Super Bowl.

Who Dey

That would be awesome. Rock On

(12-06-2023, 05:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And since we have Burrow, that's totally fine with me. A backup that can win some games. If he goes on a winning streak here, we won't be able to afford him next season. But until we are eliminated from the playoffs, I hope he wins them all.

Damn rights, wholeheartedly rooting for our Bengals and Browning to continue to surprise the football world and make a run.

(12-06-2023, 05:24 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Ngl, when Burrow went down, I was super deflated. Being a fan from the 80s, I felt "I've seen this song and dance before." The losing streak, and the deflating loss to the hated Stoolers compounded that. The Buckeyes losing to TTUN yet again added to my glum. The Bearcats were ass this year. I seriously felt like football season was over for me. If my Bengals, Buckeyes (yeah they get a high bowl game but c'mon...), and Bearcats are out of it, football-on-tv-time is replaced with PS5 and Adult Swim. I just don't care much until draft stuff starts up.

Our win on MNF brought me back from the brink. It showed me this team CAN win with a backup QB, even if the defense is still giving up chunk plays and 28+ points. It showed me this team knows it can make the playoffs still, and are still fighting. They could have collectively mailed it in after the Burrow injury and subsequent poor showing against Pittsburgh. They didn't.

If the coaches scheme and call plays like they did against SF, Buff, Jax and the players continue to execute like they have against those teams named, we CAN still make the playoffs. And from there...who knows? A lot of "if's" I know, but I'm back to being optimistic!

Nice post. I am not an OSU fan but I understand the sentiment with so much that has gone wrong for your guys in Cincy and Ohio
this year. This win was big and helped a lot of us out, I always will prefer talking about Playoffs this late in the year to only talking 
about Draft picks in the Draft Forum. If we can get in, anything can happen. Browning showing he can win in a Primetime game is 
a great thing to see. This gives me hope that if we do get into the Playoffs, he might be able to help us win in the big games.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 06:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, I doubt Browning becomes some kind of star QB or anything, like you said a Keenum type that can do enough to win some 
games is good enough for me. The cool part in my opinion though was this was a Primetime game that he played so well in which

Good point. He even shrugged after the game and acted like it was no big deal. The moment wasn't too big for him.

The coolest part for me is that I had no expectations for Browning. He was undrafted and sat around practice squads for 4 years. He's 27 years old.

Not exactly the type of guy you'd have high hopes for.

I know now that he had quite a start for the Huskies and won some Heisman votes, but fell off quite a bit after surgery on his throwing arm.

Maybe we're getting the fully recovered version of him?

Also, fun fact: Browning finished 6th in Heisman voting in 2016 and went undrafted. Jeff Blake finished 6th in Heisman voting in 1991 and went undrafted.

Both replaced injured 1st overall QB's.

History repeating itself? Very interesting. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 07:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point. He even shrugged after the game and acted like it was no big deal. The moment wasn't too big for him.

The coolest part for me is that I had no expectations for Browning. He was undrafted and sat around practice squads for 4 years. He's 27 years old.

Not exactly the type of guy you'd have high hopes for.

I know now that he had quite a start for the Huskies and won some Heisman votes, but fell off quite a bit after surgery on his throwing arm.

Maybe we're getting the fully recovered version of him?

Also, fun fact: Browning finished 6th in Heisman voting in 2016 and went undrafted. Jeff Blake finished 6th in Heisman voting in 1991 and went undrafted.

Both replaced injured 1st overall QB's.

History repeating itself? Very interesting. 

He only went undrafted because he had shoulder surgery. If he had not torn his shoulder, he probably would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 06:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, I doubt Browning becomes some kind of star QB or anything, like you said a Keenum type that can do enough to win some 

Same.

That would be awesome. Rock On

Damn rights, wholeheartedly rooting for our Bengals and Browning to continue to surprise the football world and make a run.

Nice post. I am not an OSU fan but I understand the sentiment with so much that has gone wrong for your guys in Cincy and Ohio
this year. This win was big and helped a lot of us out, I always will prefer talking about Playoffs this late in the year to only talking 
about Draft picks in the Draft Forum. If we can get in, anything can happen. Browning showing he can win in a Primetime game is 
a great thing to see. This gives me hope that if we do get into the Playoffs, he might be able to help us win in the big games.

Try being a FSU fan ..... Whatever

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 11:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: Try being a FSU fan ..... Whatever

Yeah, losing Jordan Travis was a tragedy for you guys. You have one hell of a team this year and you got cheated.
Reply/Quote
I must say that lou called a great game today,much better at challenging receivers off the Los..Plus I must add that the run defense and the tackling was 1st class today, the safeties played great very encouraging ?,I'm not worried about wins and losses or the playoffs just want to see progress with the team going forward..I'm optimistic for next season if we can keep Making strides especially in the secondary I was thoroughly impressed with dj iverys physical play..
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 01:21 AM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I must say that lou called a great game today,much better at challenging receivers off the Los..Plus I must add that the run defense and the tackling was 1st class today, the safeties played great very encouraging ?,I'm not worried about wins and losses or the playoffs just want to see progress with the team going forward..I'm optimistic for next season if we can keep Making strides especially in the secondary I was thoroughly impressed with dj iverys physical play..

Ivey had himself a nice game. Could he be the Tre Flowers replacement against TEs?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote