Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
I'm truly tired of hearing the fix the offensive line crowd!
(01-29-2024, 12:22 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I ultimately hope it is Zac as the head coach that finds a way to adapt when leading Pitcher and Pollack. During yesterday's Cheifs/Ravens game, when the Chiefs were in 3 TE sets, the announcers spoked to Reid's ability to adapt as his roster has changed. If Zac proves capable as Reid in this area then we'll continue to contend with a healthy Burrow at QB.

I think we saw a bit of that this year, with the heavier use of different TEs once Jake came in (all 4 were active for a number of weeks), so that there would be some extra blockers as Browning is not Joe in the pocket, as well as more varied use of RBs, also to help Browning (screens, keeping them in to chip more, etc.).

Most good coaches will adapt and I think Zac is great in that regards. Marv OTOH...

(01-29-2024, 01:13 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Our line has sucked since 2016 though....look at those bust draft picks. 

2016 was good still, with only Ogbuehi being the true weak link.

2017, things started to go downhill...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 12:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: The issue I have with this is that the Bengals coaches also do a good amount of scouting.  As the OL coach, it's his job to scout and recommend guys that fit his scheme and the offense.  For example, I remember an interview he did where he said that Tobin asked him to look at and see if he could use Orlando Brown Jr. and he was enthusiastically all for it.  

Wide zone heavy schemes require good athletes, but everything out of the guy's mouth is "glass eaters".  I wonder if he's prioritizing that "glass eater" trait(whatever that means) over the athletic tools he needs to run his preferred scheme in evaluations.  

However, the quickest, easiest run game fix is addressing the RB position.  Our backs leave so much yardage on the field it's not even funny, especially since they constantly face light boxes as teams sit back in 2 deep zone with their S's all game.  Getting a legit RB threat that can actually make teams pay for sitting light in the box would do a lot of good for this offense as it gradually moves towards getting better athletes as contracts expire.

Yeah, the scheme fit evaluation is puzzling. Personally, I think if Cincinnati had a more talented backfield and operated more under center with heavy play-action, this line would be great. However, that's not really playing to Burrow's strengths, nor does Cincinnati have a strong backfield but that's another conversation. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 04:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Welll...We've tried high draft choices, we've tried top FAs, and they're not firing the Oline coach.

So, maybe our approach should be quit trying to fix it. 

Really haven't tried this approach.  If we had, we would have a line with Thuney and a different LT.

The reality is that we have to get guys that significantly upgrade the team on the O-line like we have with the defense (Trey, Hilton, Vonn Bell, Chido, Reader).....

We've yet to get a guy with that kind of impact on our O-line - and it shows.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 03:07 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: If we dont draft Defense all around, this team doesnt deserve to go to the playoffs. Lou deserves most of the picks this time around.

And that's how you would land a draft full of busts.  You need to take the best guy on the board.   When we've done that, we've drafted well.  It's when the need stuff creeps in, you start to see the Jackson Carmans of the world getting picked.
Reply/Quote
Fix the Offensive Line!!!!

*flips the table*
*runs screaming from the boardroom*

Anyway, can you believe we are the team of Andrew Whitworth, Willie Anderson and the All-Universe Anthony Munoz?
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 03:54 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think we saw a bit of that this year, with the heavier use of different TEs once Jake came in (all 4 were active for a number of weeks), so that there would be some extra blockers as Browning is not Joe in the pocket, as well as more varied use of RBs, also to help Browning (screens, keeping them in to chip more, etc.).

Most good coaches will adapt and I think Zac is great in that regards. Marv OTOH...

2016 was bad, Bodine was a mess

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 05:09 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 2016 was bad, Bodine was a mess

Bodine was never a mess, he was always passable in the grand scheme of things, but probably shouldn't have been starting.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 05:15 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Bodine was never a mess, he was always passable in the grand scheme of things, but probably shouldn't have been starting.

Bodine was a mess. I guess we're gonna disagree here

Reply/Quote
I said on the whole.

Indeed: Ryan/Royle/'zerker was always right about him, but he was never as bad as perceived.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 05:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I said on the whole.

Indeed: Ryan/Royle/'zerker was always right about him, but he was never as bad as perceived.

yea, preperation H does feel good

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 03:54 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think we saw a bit of that this year, with the heavier use of different TEs once Jake came in (all 4 were active for a number of weeks), so that there would be some extra blockers as Browning is not Joe in the pocket, as well as more varied use of RBs, also to help Browning (screens, keeping them in to chip more, etc.).

I liked what I saw Zac doing with Burrow and the offense in the 49'ers game and I liked how he positioned Browning for success. I want that to be the theme in '24. I do wonder if we have a better RB1 if many of us would see Pollack in a different light.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 03:54 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, the scheme fit evaluation is puzzling. Personally, I think if Cincinnati had a more talented backfield and operated more under center with heavy play-action, this line would be great. However, that's not really playing to Burrow's strengths, nor does Cincinnati have a strong backfield but that's another conversation. 

Pollack strikes me as a guy who either a.)slacks on his evals or b.) isn't honest in his evals.

Going back to his first stint here, no way they're dropping a 1st on Billy Price, need or not, unless Pollack told them he was worth it.  

Again with Brown, he apparently wasn't even on the team's radar.  His representatives reached out to the club, which prompted Tobin to go to Pollack.  

The guy seems more worried about his unit than team as a whole, endorsing big investments in players that will only yield minimal gains, when those resources (cap dollars and draft capital) can be better invested elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 04:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Really haven't tried this approach.  If we had, we would have a line with Thuney and a different LT.

The reality is that we have to get guys that significantly upgrade the team on the O-line like we have with the defense (Trey, Hilton, Vonn Bell, Chido, Reader).....

We've yet to get a guy with that kind of impact on our O-line - and it shows.

Brown, Cappa, Karras, Collins were all top FAs or at least as big as the Defensive examples you provided (BTW you left out Trae Waynes). It's just the defensive folks have preformed as good or better than they had prior to arrival. The olinemen have each gotten worse. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 05:05 PM)Destro Wrote: Fix the Offensive Line!!!!

*flips the table*
*runs screaming from the boardroom*

Anyway, can you believe we are the team of Andrew Whitworth, Willie Anderson and the All-Universe Anthony Munoz?

Whitworth ready to Coach?
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 11:40 AM)J24 Wrote: Ogbuehi didn't test do to injury, Fisher had a pretty good RAS, and Jonah had a bad performance( outside of 40)according to RAS . https://www.google.com/amp/s/ras.football/2020/01/04/jonah-williams-ras/%3famp 

I'm not talking strictly RAS.

Ogbuehi was considered a "gifted athlete," per NFL.com draft profile.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cedric-ogbuehi/32004f47-4266-6101-dd5b-dff63b4661d1

Jonah was considered also athletic according to his NFL.com draft profile.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jonah-williams/32005749-4c13-2676-fb3e-2b3d97cbfc66
Quote:Athletic with fluid movement and body control
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 05:31 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I liked what I saw Zac doing with Burrow and the offense in the 49'ers game and I liked how he positioned Browning for success. I want that to be the theme in '24. I do wonder if we have a better RB1 if many of us would see Pollack in a different light.

Having a decent running game would make a lot of things look different.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 08:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Having a decent running game would make a lot of things look different.

It’s embarrassing and has gone on ridiculously too long.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

2017 was definitely the worst....but there were signs in '16. Dalton was sacked seven times in week one at NYJ, for example.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 05:15 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Bodine was never a mess, he was always passable in the grand scheme of things, but probably shouldn't have been starting.

In my eyes, Bodine gave the appearance of looking okay versus even fronted defenses.  Whenever he had a NT head up on him, he was on skates.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2024, 07:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, 2013-2023 has been pretty damn rough in terms of drafting:

T- Jonah Williams   1st
T- Cedric Ogbuehi   1st
T- Jake Fisher   2nd
T- Jackson Carman   2nd
T- D'Ante Smith   4th
T- Hakeem Adeniji   6th
T- Reid Fragel   7th

G- Cordell Volson   4th
G- Michael Jordan   4th
G- Tanner Hawkinson   5th
G- Christian Westerman   5th  
G- Trey Hill   6th 
G- Rod Taylor   7th

C- Billy Price   1st
C- Russell Bodine   4th
C- JJ Deilman   5th
C- TJ Johnson   7th

My Lord, what an absolute horror show. I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable fan but I had no idea that they have been this poor at drafting O linemen.  I think Bodine was a 4th and they actually traded up for him and Jordan.

Tobin isn't going anywhere, but please Bengals, hire somebody to help him tell the difference between shit and apple butter when they put on a tape.
Reply/Quote