Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
I'm truly tired of hearing the fix the offensive line crowd!
Orlando brown
Volson
Karras
Cappa
Mimms (draft in 1)

Carman Sharping Hill off the bench.
What’s the problem. U wanna replace Volson fine draft another guy later and have Volson Sharping hill and the rookie battle for the LG spot.

Our problems are pass rush and back end. A healthy burrow with that offensive line should be in the playoffs every year at least.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 01:09 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Orlando brown
Volson
Karras
Cappa
Mimms (draft in 1)

What’s the problem.  U wanna replace Volson fine draft another guy later and have Volson Sharping hill and the rookie battle for the LG spot.  

Our problems are pass rush and back end.  A healthy burrow with that offensive line should be in the playoffs every year at least.

the offensive line still isnt good. at all. dont convince yourself otherwise. the run game is trash, and burrow is still getting hit too much (some of it his fault)

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Volson
Karras
Cappa

Mimms (draft in 1)

What’s the problem.  U wanna replace Volson fine draft another guy later and have Volson Sharping hill and the rookie battle for the LG spot.  

Our problems are pass rush and back end.  A healthy burrow with that offensive line should be in the playoffs every year at least.

I see the Bengals leaning more your direction in the sense that they may believe they have 4 Starters already in place.

Many Fans want Major change but the Bengals may not see it that way.

They may want the Comfort of signing a Free Agent Right Tackle with experience that already has an NFL track record.

If they get a weaker/cheaper Free Agent RT or none at all, then that could indicate they may rely on a Rookie 1st rounder.

The Steelers drafted Tackle Broderick Jones in 2023 at overall pick #14 who made his first start in Week 5 & he has done well.

I agree that DEFENSE may be what concerns the Bengals most with Burrow on his way back to Boost the Offense.
Reply/Quote
I swear to god if I have to hear the "We need this poistion more; we can get a good OL prospect in later rounds" one more god damn time i'm gonna lose my shit.
Reply/Quote
Volson
Karras
Cappa
Mimms (draft in 1)

We need better ol coaching or adding talent wont help much...    

Also we need an OL that can run the ball behind.. (or jsut need to run the ball..) that takes the teeth out of pass rushes and keeps the QB healthier
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 01:20 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: the offensive line still isnt good. at all. dont convince yourself otherwise. the run game is trash, and burrow is still getting hit too much (some of it his fault)

I think this offensive line has showed signs of actually really being good I think they are absolutely poorly coached. I think pollack very bad and I think a good offensive line coach gets a hell of a lot more from these guys.
But the bengals are happy with what they’ve put together. It’s pollack now that needs to change. Bring in competition for Volson. Sign Mimms and forget about the offensive line. Til the 5th and get someone to go after Volsons job or maybe carman ends up being more than a practice squad dummie
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 02:34 PM)depthchart Wrote: I see the Bengals leaning more your direction in the sense that they may believe they have 4 Starters already in place.

Many Fans want Major change but the Bengals may not see it that way.

They may want the Comfort of signing a Free Agent Right Tackle with experience that already has an NFL track record.

If they get a weaker/cheaper Free Agent RT or none at all, then that could indicate they may rely on a Rookie 1st rounder.

The Steelers drafted Tackle Broderick Jones in 2023 at overall pick #14 who made his first start in Week 5 & he has done well.

I agree that DEFENSE may be what concerns the Bengals most with Burrow on his way back to Boost the Offense.

This is a pretty brutally bad FA group for OL.  Jonah is probably the legit best OT(right or left), and he's just serviceable.  IOL is thin, as well.  I really like Connor Williams, the Dolphins C, but he tore his ACL late in the regular season.  Still, he may be worth it since we have Karras who can start at C if he's not ready, then kick to LG when he is.  There's some old stopgap guys, like George Fant, but I really do think they need to address RT in the draft.  Fortunately, it's shaping up to be a pretty stacked draft class.

I don't think they're that concerned with the secondary.  Hilton is a top nickel CB, CTB made huge strides, and Battle looked like a stud.  Hill and Turner had some growing pains, but that's to be expected from 1st year starters.  They might go after a vet outside CB to compete with Turner, but that's it, unless there's a really good draft value.

Murphy was the top rookie in pass rush win rate and I think he probably takes Hubbard's starting spot next year.  Interior pass rush is an issue.  They have a mid-tier 3 tech in Hill and had a run stuffing NT in Reader that added little as a pass rusher.  Do they go after a NT that gives them more pass rush, like Wilkins, or stick with Reader or another run stuffer (Grover Stewart, maybe)?  If they do go with the run stuffer, do they dump Hill and make a run at one of the elite 3 techs(Chris Jones, Madubuike) in FA?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe trade up for Bowers and go defense the rest of the way.. or just throw a bunch of names in a hat and pick em all randomly one by one.. lol 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 04:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Really haven't tried this approach.  If we had, we would have a line with Thuney and a different LT.

Sorry, but that's just wrong.

Thuney's agent: "I have a nice offer from 4-11-1 Cincinnati and their injured rookie QB and I also have a similar offer from 14-2 Kansas City that just went to the Super Bowl but were crushed due to an injured O-line."

Thuney: "What to do? What to do?"

Thuney signed with KC about 5 seconds into the FA window.

You can blame scheme and coaching and say that they're not playing to their linemen's strengths, blah, blah, blah . . . this line gets no push. They may not be the worst in the league, but they are definitely near the bottom.

Here's their four outcomes in short yardage
Stopped in the backfield.
Avoids a hit in the backfield and pushes forward for a short gain, sometimes for a 1st down.
The rare hole opens up for a clean run and a 1st down.
Too afraid to run, so they pass from shotgun instead.

Do you know what you never see in short yardage situations? Mixon just falling forward because the O-line got a push off of the line. I had hoped that we were getting a glimpse of that when Carman pushed Calais Campbell about 6-8 yards downfield before pancaking him in Baltimore a few years ago, but that seems to be the best individual snap of his career and no one else has had anything close to that since.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 01:25 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Sorry, but that's just wrong.

Thuney's agent: "I have a nice offer from 4-11-1 Cincinnati and their injured rookie QB and I also have a similar offer from 14-2 Kansas City that just went to the Super Bowl but were crushed due to an injured O-line."

You can blame scheme and coaching and say that they're not playing to their linemen's strengths, blah, blah, blah . . . this line gets no push. They may not be the worst in the league, but they are definitely near the bottom.

Avoids a hit in the backfield and pushes forward for a short gain, sometimes for a 1st down.

Do you know what you never see in short yardage situations? Mixon just falling forward because the O-line got a push off of the line. I had hoped that we were getting a glimpse of that when Carman pushed Calais Campbell about 6-8 yards downfield before pancaking him in Baltimore a few years ago, but that seems to be the best individual snap of his career and no one else has had anything close to that since.

The Eagles have a top tier OL and are the best short yardage offense in the NFL, and they have to resort to the soon to be banned "tush push" to convert. Nobody is just having their OL consistently knock the DL 1-2 yards off the LoS so the RB can just fall forward.  
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 01:25 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Sorry, but that's just wrong.

How's it wrong?  We have yet to sign the best O-lineman available in free agency.  It's not even debatable.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 03:09 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: How's it wrong?  We have yet to sign the best O-lineman available in free agency.  It's not even debatable.

Orlando Brown Jr was the best FA OL available last year.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 04:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: Orlando Brown Jr was the best FA OL available last year.

he was the best tackle available. I wouldnt say the best o-lineman

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 09:34 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he was the best tackle available. I wouldnt say the best o-lineman

Who was?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Do you know what’s even more tiring? The offensive line not being fixed!
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 11:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: Do you know what’s even more tiring? The offensive line not being fixed!

^^^THIS!!!!
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 11:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: Do you know what’s even more tiring? The offensive line not being fixed!

What is even more frustrating is that we had the #5 highest paid oline in 2023.  Bad scouting?  Bad coaching?  Has to be one or both of these as we were the healthiest oline in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 10:11 AM)casear2727 Wrote: What is even more frustrating is that we had the #5 highest paid oline in 2023.  Bad scouting?  Bad coaching?  Has to be one of these 2 as we were the healthiest oline in the NFL.

Its really hard to pinpoint exactly the issue..    we keep adding quality talent but the results dont seem much improved.     If pollock isnt the issue as he appears to be then its either play design/calling or people going off script from whats being called.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 10:40 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Its really hard to pinpoint exactly the issue..    we keep adding quality talent but the results dont seem much improved.     If pollock isnt the issue as he appears to be then its either play design/calling or people going off script from whats being called.

I think the issue is just the general offensive philosophy for the passing game and RB talent in the run game. Cincinnati is often only keeping five in to block so these guys are on islands. Joe likes to play with five receivers in routes and it is going to get him hit often. It's just part of it.

Truthfully, I think this offensive line would look great if Cincinnati was heavier under center, running a bit more and working off play-action. That would be very similar to the 2021 offense. They already changed the run game from wide zone to primarily duos and trap. The linemen we have are built for that, generating double teams and getting vertical. I think the run game struggles are primarily in the RB room, but Burrow is going to be under duress as long as they send out five for him IMO.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 12:16 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think the issue is just the general offensive philosophy for the passing game and RB talent in the run game. Cincinnati is often only keeping five in to block so these guys are on islands. Joe likes to play with five receivers in routes and it is going to get him hit often. It's just part of it.

Truthfully, I think this offensive line would look great if Cincinnati was heavier under center, running a bit more and working off play-action. That would be very similar to the 2021 offense. They already changed the run game from wide zone to primarily duos and trap. The linemen we have are built for that, generating double teams and getting vertical. I think the run game struggles are primarily in the RB room, but Burrow is going to be under duress as long as they send out five for him IMO.

RBs cant get going if you dont call run plays though... we seemed to be running the ball pretty well when we actually ran it
Reply/Quote