Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I miss Marvin
(11-12-2019, 07:03 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: That's just it we are well into multiple seasons with dismal records unless something happens radically. 

With Marvin we had a respectable coach that can keep SOME players here before they fly away for Free Agency.

The Bengals Front office is terrible and players know that and don't want to come here and the players here want to leave.

You don't bring in a rookie coach who can't draw free agents here, unless the coach is one like Mike Zimmer who has respectability and can draw free agents are keep quality players from leaving. 

What we needed was a respectable coach not a noobie. 

Noobie coach's only work out with quality front offices that can help draw quality players, keep quality players, draft quality players.

Mike Tomlin is a quality coach who was a noobie, but the Steelers Front Office is QUALITY, they draw quality players, keep quality players and draft players. When a diva quality player leaves the Steelers they somehow manage. They lost a bunch of quality players over the last 2-3 years
and they are currently 5-4 in a playoff chase. We lost a bunch of players and we are 0-9 going nowhere fast and we might lose our best player next year for NOTHING!!!! That's not Marvin Lewis. Marvin Lewis is not the reason we don't have a winter indoor facility. I have been stating we need an indoor facility for a number of years. Heck, I played college football in New York and we had an indoor facility. I can't imagine practicing in the frigid cold in October and November. Marvin's playoff bound teams had to practice outside in December-January unless they caught a break from the local college team in the area that gave them a few hours in a week. How nice of them. 

This my friend Benton is going to be a long period of time when we are consistently good. Free agency is worse now for small market cheap teams then in the 90's where you could hold onto the players a bit longer. I see good draft choices leaving here like a revolving door. You might have a quality team for 1-2 years like the MLB Miami Marlins and the Kansas City Royals, but once the players become free agents they are gone.

You just have to consistently draft good in the NFL.

With our small scouting staff...that's a big ask.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 01:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: That's not the truth, that's conjecture.  I don't think ZT is in a good situation, but to say that it's so hopeless there would be no difference between the greatest HC to ever exist and a QB coach who has no idea what he is doing is just sour grapes at it's best.

Again, ZT is in a bad situation, but his resume made it clear that he was very likely to be in over his head at the position and with such an apathetic franchise.

We'd likely have 5 wins right now with Belicheck.

People like to talk like this team is totally devoid of talent, but Boyd is a good WR. Mixon led the AFC in rushing last year. Heck...the Bengals changed the run blocking scheme, and the last 2 games Mixon can run.

A GREAT COACH like Belicheck would have likely made those moves on the fly. Eifert at TE. Weapons are here.

On defense, we supposedly have a good line and secondary.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 06:14 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: ^Marvin also had Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden , and Hue Jackson (when he was a good OC - don't know about now because nobody will give him a chance.)

Not to mention a couple of fresh young good draft classes.

Actually rumor mill has ML as a possible new HC in the NFL for the up coming year. It wouldn't surprise me to see ML come back as a HC and have success again, maybe even win a playoff game. 
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 09:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We'd likely have 5 wins right now with Belicheck.

People like to talk like this team is totally devoid of talent, but Boyd is a good WR. Mixon led the AFC in rushing last year. Heck...the Bengals changed the run blocking scheme, and the last 2 games Mixon can run.

A GREAT COACH like Belicheck would have likely made those moves on the fly. Eifert at TE. Weapons are here.

On defense, we supposedly have a good line and secondary 
You are too funny. Guess what a great coach isn't EVER coming here. So you think another coach is going to come in and magically turn this o-line and line backing core into winners. This defense set a record last year for futility. This team lost nine of ten of their games at the end of the season. I guess we should have got rid of Marvin and hired MERLIN. A great coach is out of the question and a young up and coming coach will avoid us like the plague because he knows he won't be given a chance to succeed. 
Reply/Quote