Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I miss Marvin
(11-11-2019, 05:29 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Marvin's brand is all over this team. Everyone believes that Zac inherited a powerhouse of a team and turning things around was going to be like some magic spell. The team has been a train wreck for three years straight. In the spring when the draft happens we get optimistic. Reality has kicked us every step of the way. With another draft and an upgrade in the assistants maybe he turns thing around . The truth is while maybe we would have one or two wins with a coach like Billichick but with the way things have shaken out we weren't going to the play offs. 

I don't think people expect this team to be 12-4...but not 0-9.

The Dolphins are intentionally tanking and have 2 wins. The Steelers have a backup QB, no Conner, no Tuitt, no AB from last year, no Bell...and they have 5 wins!

We're underperforming no matter how you slice it.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 05:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Hell yeah, we would've had winning records in each of the previous 3 years if only Marvin had been coaching us.  Ninja

If Marvin would have been here in 16,17, and 18 we'd have had at least 2 Super Bowl Championships.  Yawn
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 05:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Without being able to peak behind the curtain of how the Bengals are ran...it's hard to know who makes what decisions. But, at some point...someone evaluated the tape from last year and was like 'We need to re-sign Preston Brown. Oh...and lets play him and Vigil in a 2 LB set. We'll be fine. We'll throw a 3rd Round pick at a LB too.'

At minimum, we need an offensive coordinator. We need defensive coaches fired. We need to sign or draft a star LB or two.

The thing that I can't get past on Taylor is the main selling point on him was that he was a young offiensive mind with a modern system. He's been a TERRIBLE playcaller though.

So then what other traits does he have that scream of him being a good HC?

re: The Zac being the OC. Being the HC of the Bengals means you need to be the PR guy. Scout. Gameplanner. Coach. And all the other stuff...

AND he decides to make himself the playcaller too! That's how naieve he is!

Zac has a lot of learning to do for sure. 

As far as the selling point of his offensive prowess maybe not being the case, that happens with head coaches sometimes. Remember, Marvin's claim to fame was being a defensive and LBer guru, but it wasn't until Zimmer got here that the defense really became a prominent part of his team.

I do agree that he needs to turn over play calling and just focus on head coaching duties, and building his staff and roster the best that he can.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 05:53 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Zac has a lot of learning to do for sure. 

As far as the selling point of his offensive prowess maybe not being the case, that happens with head coaches sometimes. Remember, Marvin's claim to fame was being a defensive and LBer guru, but it wasn't until Zimmer got here that the defense really became a prominent part of his teams, and the LBer thing was always problematic for the most part.

I do agree that he needs to turn over play calling and just focus on head coaching duties, and building his staff and roster the best that he can.

ZT is a horrible playcaller,so far,not creative enough for sure, I am of the belief we will go O-16 and if that happens its time to try and get more picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds for players we have,like the whole D-line except for Sam Hubbard
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 04:48 PM)GodFather Wrote: I dont miss him one bit. Id rather be winless then put up with another one of his inept seasons.

WTF
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 04:58 AM)TKUHL Wrote: People need to stop with this. Marvin is part of the reason this team is in the mess they are today. Marvin’s time was long over due. This team has 2 wins in the last 19 games!

I asked a question on here the first or second week of the season if anyone’s opinion on Marvin as a coach will differ depending on how this season goes. Just about everyone said no. Or said Marvin peaked as a coach, or were just tired of him, or Anyone but Marvin.

I’m not willing to call for the new coaches head just yet. The coordinators are a different story. We should be calling for Zac and MB to upgrade. We should be demanding better from MB when it comes to FA, drafting etc. and we damn sure better be demanding more than just a Marvin.

This team was bad last year with Marvin and other experienced coaches. You would really rather have Marvin back. Why? So we can be 1-8 or maybe 2-7. MB gave Marvin 16 damn years, the least we can do is give the new coach a couple.

You do know that you are knocking the only HC to have a winning record under Mike Brown, don't you?

Taylor isn't more than Marvin. He's a lessor coach, much lessor.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 06:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: You do know that you are knocking the only HC to have a winning record under Mike Brown, don't you?

Taylor isn't more than Marvin. He's a lessor coach, much lessor.

He got 16 years (263 games) 16 drafts and nothing. Nine games and one draft . Aren't you fair.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 06:52 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: He got 16 years (263 games) 16 drafts and nothing. Nine games and one draft . Aren't you fair.

Winning with Mike Brown in charge isn't nothing. And you are making a big assumption about the drafts.

Taylor hasn't even gotten an f'n win. Two losses to winless teams. LOL

Whole team has regressed and is playing worse. LMAO

Time for another change.

I'm going to start calling you Katie, because that is who I think is posting under your name.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 06:55 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Winning with Mike Brown in charge isn't nothing. And you are making a big assumption about the drafts.

Time for another change.

I'm going to start calling you Katie, because that is who I think is posting under your name.

I think I will start calling you Debbie Downer. I know guys like you and Fred are to allowed curse and make personal attacks on others when guys like me get banned but I couldn't help it. I apologize in advance.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 06:55 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Winning with Mike Brown in charge isn't nothing. And you are making a big assumption about the drafts.

Time for another change.

Is that you GIGGLES ?????
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 06:14 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: ^Marvin also had Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden , and Hue Jackson (when he was a good OC - don't know about now because nobody will give him a chance.)

Not to mention a couple of fresh young good draft classes.

He also had Brat and Bresnahan coordinating in the playoffs.  Just sayin'
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 03:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know that Marvin was a bad coach. It's hard to say. It's got to be pretty hard to win a championship for a Mike Brown owned team.

Marvin got the team to above average to good...but not great.

You see what Taylor is doing here. He can't even win a game.

Don’t forget, Marvin had several teams capable of going on a championship run and they consistently fell flat on their face in prime time, playoff and Steeler games.

Marvin was good at acquiring talent and coordinators, but he was not a good game day coach.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 07:11 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I think I will start calling you Debbie Downer. I know guys like you and Fred are to allowed curse and make personal attacks on others when guys like me get banned but I couldn't help it. I apologize in advance.

I get no special treatment from anyone. Comparing Fred and I is funny. He doesn't like me.

LOL, 0-9 is the real downer. Hell, even 3-6 would be a downer. We were 5-4 at this time last season and we were all steaming about the losses to KC and NO. This season each loss is just more numbness on a season lost almost as soon as it began.

It takes a lot incompetence to make an entire team regress and become worse. A lot of wrong things have to be done and between Mike Brown, Katie and Troy Blackburn, Duke Tobin, Zac Taylor and the other cronies who make decisions for this team, they've been doing wrong things in bunches this season.

Bad coaching choices, bad free agent signings (Hart, Brown, Redmond), questionable draft picks and predictable game planning. We use to blame Marvin for those things, but this new staff has taken all to a new level of low-ness.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 05:29 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The truth is while maybe we would have one or two wins with a coach like Billichick but with the way things have shaken out we weren't going to the play offs. 

That's not the truth, that's conjecture.  I don't think ZT is in a good situation, but to say that it's so hopeless there would be no difference between the greatest HC to ever exist and a QB coach who has no idea what he is doing is just sour grapes at it's best.

Again, ZT is in a bad situation, but his resume made it clear that he was very likely to be in over his head at the position and with such an apathetic franchise.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 05:22 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Marvin gave us multiple playoff years and the only coach in Bengals history to have 3 or more playoff years in a row. 
This team would not be 0-9 with Marvin this year. Although we needed a change at HC, and we have a horrible HC and staff including the Front Office. Don't F'n blame this chit of a team on Marvin. I have been saying for a long time that wanted Marvin fired, be careful of what you asked for because you may not like what you get. Presto, you got what you wanted a team that is well on its way to 0-16.  

I agree, we wouldn't be 0-9.  It we'd stumble into another 7-9 win season, maybe grab a wildcat spot and then get ready to draft 

I'll give any coach 2-3 years. Zac may have 16 straight losses, but that won't change my mind.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 05:09 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Seahawks , 49ers, Bills, Steelers, Ravens twice, Rams, all have winning records. The only games we really should have had a chance at were the Cards and Jags. The reality is the Bengals were coming off a season when they finished the season with a 2-9 record. The optimism was from all the returning players from IR and the draft. AJ went down first day and Williams the first rounder never saw the field. Things kind of snowballed from that point.

The main source of optimism was from a new coaching staff with a modern approach.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 09:54 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Don’t forget, Marvin had several teams capable of going on a championship run and they consistently fell flat on their face in prime time, playoff and Steeler games.

Marvin was good at acquiring talent and coordinators, but he was not a good game day coach.

Agreed. Marvin failed in the playoffs and generally in primetime...

BUT, the failure to even win 1 game by Taylor is unprecedented. He's worse than Dave Shula.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 10:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. Marvin failed in the playoffs and generally in primetime...

BUT, the failure to even win 1 game by Taylor is unprecedented. He's worse than Dave Shula.

Agree, ready for this geek to go
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 04:57 AM)Benton Wrote: I agree, we wouldn't be 0-9.  It we'd stumble into another 7-9 win season, maybe grab a wildcat spot and then get ready to draft 

I'll give any coach 2-3 years. Zac may have 16 straight losses, but that won't change my mind.

That's just it we are well into multiple seasons with dismal records unless something happens radically. 

With Marvin we had a respectable coach that can keep SOME players here before they fly away for Free Agency.

The Bengals Front office is terrible and players know that and don't want to come here and the players here want to leave.

You don't bring in a rookie coach who can't draw free agents here, unless the coach is one like Mike Zimmer who has respectability and can draw free agents are keep quality players from leaving. 

What we needed was a respectable coach not a noobie. 

Noobie coach's only work out with quality front offices that can help draw quality players, keep quality players, draft quality players.

Mike Tomlin is a quality coach who was a noobie, but the Steelers Front Office is QUALITY, they draw quality players, keep quality players and draft players. When a diva quality player leaves the Steelers they somehow manage. They lost a bunch of quality players over the last 2-3 years
and they are currently 5-4 in a playoff chase. We lost a bunch of players and we are 0-9 going nowhere fast and we might lose our best player next year for NOTHING!!!! That's not Marvin Lewis. Marvin Lewis is not the reason we don't have a winter indoor facility. I have been stating we need an indoor facility for a number of years. Heck, I played college football in New York and we had an indoor facility. I can't imagine practicing in the frigid cold in October and November. Marvin's playoff bound teams had to practice outside in December-January unless they caught a break from the local college team in the area that gave them a few hours in a week. How nice of them. 

This my friend Benton is going to be a long period of time when we are consistently good. Free agency is worse now for small market cheap teams then in the 90's where you could hold onto the players a bit longer. I see good draft choices leaving here like a revolving door. You might have a quality team for 1-2 years like the MLB Miami Marlins and the Kansas City Royals, but once the players become free agents they are gone.

[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Marvin is like Andy, both mediocre and relies on others to make things better or end up worse.
Reply/Quote