Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I think Coach Lewis returns
I've read through many of the recent threads and conversations as to whether Lewis will be back, whether Hue Jackson might take over or whether a new head coach may be a possibility.

In my humble opinion, I think Coach Lewis will undoubtedly return for his 17th season as head coach of the Bengals. Given what has transpired this season with the amount of injuries and the unbridled failure of his defensive coordinator, I think Coach Lewis will feel obliged to return -- whether for reasons of pure ego or the simply the notion of unfinished business.

I don't think he wants this season to be the punctuation on his career in Cincinnati, much the same as last year. I think it more the case that he'll want one more attempt at riding off with that elusive playoff victory, or at the very minimum, a winning season.

I also think he will bring in yet another defensive coordinator to assume the duties that he now handles. What then to do with Hue Jackson? I think there is a very real possibility that he is named the Assistant HC and supplants Bill Lazor as offensive coordinator.

Of course, this is all purely conjecture on my part, but it is also what I find to be most logical as it pertains to what we know about how these situations tend to play out in the Bengals organization. I would be rather ecstatic to be proven wrong by ownership, as I feel the need for change has never been more pressing and the overall situation lends itself perfectly to making said change.
Reply/Quote
Of course he's coming back. And the big question is--why wouldn't he?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I honestly think Brown will Shock the world and let Marvin go at the end of the season. Now I don't think it will be as other teams as in fired right after the last game. Mike will drag it out till most good coaches are gone cause he thinks he has a HC is Hue ?. My plan B is the Mikey just moves staff around making Marvin a DC or even a GM and making either Lazor/Simmons or Hue HC, or Hue OC, ML DC Simmons HC while Lazor gets the axe. I hope none of this is true and we just clean house completely but that will never happen with this organization.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 06:40 PM)McC Wrote: Of course he's coming back.  And the big question is--why wouldn't he?

While reading through the debates concerning Coach Lewis' tenure, there seems to be a notion among some that he has become so comfortable that he stays to simply collect a paycheck. I've never been in that camp and don't feel it is the case. I honestly think that Lewis has stuck around for so long in an attempt to finally achieve postseason success of any kind and to be able to depart from Cincinnati with a sense of accomplishment that overrides the failures and disappointments that continue to haunt him as a head coach. He just simply hasn't been able to do so.

However, I do think that -- in pursuit of that endeavor -- he has held on far too long and has further tarnished his reputation. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 06:57 PM)Lucidus Wrote: While reading through the debates concerning Coach Lewis' tenure, there seems to be a notion among some that he has become so comfortable that he stays to simply collect a paycheck. I've never been in that camp and don't feel it is the case. I honestly think that Lewis has stuck around for so long in an attempt to finally achieve postseason success of any kind and to be able to depart from Cincinnati with a sense of accomplishment that overrides the failures and disappointments that continue to haunt him as a head coach. He just simply hasn't been able to do so.

However, I do think that -- in pursuit of that endeavor -- he has held on far too long and has further tarnished his reputation. 

Honestly, and even though some may say it is an absurd notion...

I believe if he would've been fired after the Chargers loss in the playoffs that he possibly could have landed another HC gig elsewhere.

It's those years that followed and the Steelers game meltdown that truly closed the door and solidified his reputation.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think Marvin should resign. For the good of the team, yada yada. Change can be good, yada yada. Something Mike cant see or understand right now or figure out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 06:40 PM)McC Wrote: Of course he's coming back.  And the big question is--why wouldn't he?

If the league steps in and tells Mikey that his antics may cost all of the franchises revenue sharing money and that he's hurting the brand, maybe he'll listen.  If he is made to understand that placing 12th out of 32 is not interesting to the fan base, and may tangibly affect the financial health of the league, he may just do it.  Other than that, Lewis is coming back.  Going 8-8 and beating up on the rebuilding teams is just fine...until the stadium is embarrassingly empty because the fans know that the franchise will NEVER push their chips in the middle for a champion.  I'm expecting 1 more year of Lewis and then Hue.  The league likes having a "bad boy" team to play ragdoll for their breadwinners.  Mikey likes going 8-8.  Everybody(who makes the decisions) is happy.
Reply/Quote
Well yeah. He is under contract and mike brown is an idiot.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 06:39 PM)Lucidus Wrote: I've read through many of the recent threads and conversations as to whether Lewis will be back, whether Hue Jackson might take over or whether a new head coach may be a possibility.

In my humble opinion, I think Coach Lewis will undoubtedly return for his 17th season as head coach of the Bengals. Given what has transpired this season with the amount of injuries and the unbridled failure of his defensive coordinator, I think Coach Lewis will feel obliged to return -- whether for reasons of pure ego or the simply the notion of unfinished business.

I don't think he wants this season to be the punctuation on his career in Cincinnati, much the same as last year. I think it more the case that he'll want one more attempt at riding off with that elusive playoff victory, or at the very minimum, a winning season.

I also think he will bring in yet another defensive coordinator to assume the duties that he now handles. What then to do with Hue Jackson? I think there is a very real possibility that he is named the Assistant HC and supplants Bill Lazor as offensive coordinator.

Of course, this is all purely conjecture on my part, but it is also what I find to be most logical as it pertains to what we know about how these situations tend to play out in the Bengals organization. I would be rather ecstatic to be proven wrong by ownership, as I feel the need for change has never been more pressing and the overall situation lends itself perfectly to making said change.

Fans already aren't watching the Bengals impersonate an NFL football team, why would those who still watch continue watching if Merv is brought back?

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 01:50 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Fans already aren't watching this team impersonate an NFL football team, why would those who still watch continue watching if Merv is brought back?

I thought the same thing the last 2 times Marvin was "certainly going to be gone."  We will be back. He came back after 2010 and 2017 when he stunk it up AND he even threatened to leave. What is going to be different this time?
Reply/Quote
All he is going to do is get closer to career .500. He currently sits at 130-120-3

Reply/Quote
I get the same feeling that he will be back if he does come back I hope he still calls the defensive plays and has the DC job. I don't want to roll the dice on a new DC and him calling the plays on D has seemed to revitalize him somewhat.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 01:29 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: If the league steps in and tells Mikey that his antics may cost all of the franchises revenue sharing money and that he's hurting the brand, maybe he'll listen.  

I see a similar sentiment from a lot of folks here. But, if anyone is counting on the NFL to ride to the rescue (and, I'm not saying that you are saying that), then I have some bad news for you.  The money is in the tv contracts and merchandising.  As long as that river keeps flowing, the other 31 owners could give a shit how empty PBS is. As unfair as it is, they know that just makes us look like a bad fan base, and does not reflect on the league or their product.  

So, no owner is going to take Mike aside at the winter meetings and tell him to get his shit together, because they're making their bank and they just don't care.  

There's no one looking out for us except us, for what that's worth.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 10:08 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: There's no one looking out for us except us, for what that's worth.

This sounds like a line from either “Red Dawn” or “The Outsiders.” Anyway, your right.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 10:08 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: I see a similar sentiment from a lot of folks here. But, if anyone is counting on the NFL to ride to the rescue (and, I'm not saying that you are saying that), then I have some bad news for you.  The money is in the tv contracts and merchandising.  As long as that river keeps flowing, the other 31 owners could give a shit how empty PBS is. As unfair as it is, they know that just makes us look like a bad fan base, and does not reflect on the league or their product.  

So, no owner is going to take Mike aside at the winter meetings and tell him to get his shit together, because they're making their bank and they just don't care.  

There's no one looking out for us except us, for what that's worth.
While the TV money is 250 mil and the salary cap is 190 million that leaves 60 million to cover all expenses , ticket revenue is a important part of the equation. 65000 times 8 times 80/ ticket is 40 million give or take. If maximizing profits is his goal he should still be catering to his fan base. This coming year if he only draws 30k/game then he loses 25 million on the season. You would think ole Ebenezer would spend that money on a highly regarded FA. But sadly he will resort to his modus operandi and wait until the draft is over and all the good FAs are signed before signing another scrub linebacker that no other team wants.
Reply/Quote
They'll use all the injuries this year as an excuse to why the season went so bad. Lewis will be HC next season. Sadly.
Reply/Quote
I think Marvin has two more games with the Bengals as head coach. I could be wrong but I think this is finally the year we move on.

Also, I see no evidence or reason to believe Hue Jackson would be made head coach. I'm not sure why people keep predicting this.

Reply/Quote
I think Marvin steps down after season.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 06:26 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I think Marvin has two more games with the Bengals as head coach. I could be wrong but I think this is finally the year we move on.

Also, I see no evidence or reason to believe Hue Jackson would be made head coach. I'm not sure why people keep predicting this.

What makes you think Marvin will move on? He had a perfect chance to do that last season because he wasn't even under contract and he still couldn't walk away. I don't see any reason it will be any different this time around.

I mean, I would love for you to be right, but I just don't see it.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 06:26 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I think Marvin has two more games with the Bengals as head coach. I could be wrong but I think this is finally the year we move on.

Mike Brown has a long history of making Marvin or a guy who should not be a HC the HC.  I think its logical to assume it'll be Marvin or Hue.  

Perhaps an 83 year old man will shake things up for once. 
Reply/Quote