Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I think it's time to officially call Pollack to task.
How is it that other teams have injured veterans replaced with 2nd and sometimes 3rd line players and never seem to miss a beat? Didn't Dallas have 2 or 3 vet OLmen out? Didn't seem to bother them too much. Brady lost Gronk, Kappa and their Center 3 weeks ago. They won today. Their patch line looked pretty good to me. 45 YO Brady was on balls of his feet lookin downfield for an open man and most times found one today in their 4th Q win.

What is different with the Bengals? They look like a car with 2 flat tires out there. How come we can't "plug & play" and make it acceptable?
Reply/Quote
How about that one coach we had that made the dude in Miami cry? Maybe he wasn't so bad afterall.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 09:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: Two bad weeks for the guys up front, and lack of talent is no longer an excuse. Joe wasn't holding the ball too long today, he didn't have time to very often. I get it's been against two good dlines, but this has GOTTA be fixed soon, and next week soon. 

Full disclosure, I've been a Frank Pollack supporter, but his unit is looking bad again with a significant investment in players.

I said during the offseason that he needs to show he can actually coach pass protection now that he supposedly has "his" guys.
The only one who should maybe have problems is LG, as the others are all proven veterans.
There were clear moments where defenders ran in clean, pointing to missed blocking assignments.
And just like against PIT, the OL got beat pretty soundly again today.

So much for those "glass eaters."

Also, Taylor isn't doing the offense any favors with his playcalling.

This season is feeling like 2020 all over again so far.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 10:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: we pretty much cleaned house after Taylor 1st year, did we do that with Marvin staff ? no... 

we have a losing season have over 40 sacks.. i could see Pollack gone

?

The only coordinators/position coaches who were there in 2019 that weren't there in 2020 were QB Coach Alex Van Pelt who got an OC job elsewhere, CB Coach Robert Livingston who got a DB Coach job elsewhere, and LB Coach Tem Lukabu who got a DC job in college (but Boston College, so I don't think really a promotion).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 11:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How about that one coach we had that made the dude in Miami cry? Maybe he wasn't so bad afterall.

Or maybe just maybe they both are terrible ??
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 09:08 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Two bad weeks for the guys up front, and lack of talent is no longer an excuse. Joe wasn't holding the ball too long today, he didn't have time to very often. I get it's been against two good dlines, but this has GOTTA be fixed soon, and next week soon. 

Full disclosure, I've been a Frank Pollack supporter, but his unit is looking bad again with a significant investment in players.

Been time. The guy's reputation is literally nothing more than coaching that stud ass all pro line Dallas had for a bit. I guess he's not Jim Turner too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 11:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How about that one coach we had that made the dude in Miami cry? Maybe he wasn't so bad afterall.

Nah.... Bad coach, and an underwhelming person. Pollack just doesn't seem to be a great (or ever pretty good) position coach.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 10:06 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Turns out eating glass is bad for your health. :)

It sure seems to be bad for Joe Burrow's health....and psyche.   I'm worried he is starting to get that "look"
Reply/Quote

Considering the only job he could get after we let him go was Texas State (which he in turn got immediately fired from) I’d say yeah - he’s pretty bad.

Reply/Quote
How is it this team is not only terrible at drafting OL players unless they are can't miss types (Munoz, Big Willie) or the once in a great while gem after round 1 (Whit) but they are also just horrible at getting an OL coach? Piano man, Jackass womanizer, and now Pollock who just... sigh, why did you have to fail us Pollock. Maybe Taylor actually had the right idea when he arrived and let Pollock leave.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Sure would be nice if we could get Whit back and kick J Williams to guard. No way in hell Whit is coming out of retirement and definitely wouldn’t come back to this team.

I’m just as worried about the D line. They have done nothing against two below average O lines. We have what 2 sacks in two games and Burrow has been sacked 13 times. It all starts with the lines.
Reply/Quote
I may be wrong here but when you can’t point out which Oline player is the culprit you have to look at the coach. I’m still hoping this is just a chemistry issue from not playing together and they will get it together soon but will it be too late when they finally click.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 10:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nonsense.

Right....are they watching these guys get beat? 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 11:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I said during the offseason that he needs to show he can actually coach pass protection now that he supposedly has "his" guys.
The only one who should maybe have problems is LG, as the others are all proven veterans.
There were clear moments where defenders ran in clean, pointing to missed blocking assignments.
And just like against PIT, the OL got beat pretty soundly again today.

So much for those "glass eaters."

Also, Taylor isn't doing the offense any favors with his playcalling.

This season is feeling like 2020 all over again so far.

Agree on all points.

Reply/Quote
The best thing Callahan could do for this team is convince his dad to come coach the oline.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:40 AM)casear2727 Wrote: The best thing Callahan could do for this team is convince his dad to come coach the oline.

That would be a dream scenario for sure.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 09:08 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Two bad weeks for the guys up front, and lack of talent is no longer an excuse. Joe wasn't holding the ball too long today, he didn't have time to very often. I get it's been against two good dlines, but this has GOTTA be fixed soon, and next week soon. 

100% agree, and I was also a big Pollack guy.

It's just the natural progression of blame. First you look at talent, then you look at other possible reasons (are sacks on the QB, etc), then finally you start to look at coaching, starting with the position then moving up.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
When you look and see the linemen are not being physically beat and the issues are mental mistakes (missing stunts, not picking up overloads or delays), the next question becomes WHY. Either the linemen are stupid, line communication is broken or the scheme is faulty. In our case 4 of the 5 starters are actually noteworthy for being football SMART not stupid. So that leaves line communications or scheme.

Both communication and scheme are partly players and partly coaches. The coaches are responsible for being sure the line all understand the signals and that the scheme matches the strong suits of the players. The players are responsible for executing the scheme correctly and for giving, receiving and acting on the signals correctly. In my opinion both are issues right now.

The line is not communicating correctly - if they were the constant missing of stunts would not be happening. This hopefully improves with time and snaps (and yes not plying them together in preseason is hurting here).

The line also does not look comfortable executing the wide zone. And for 4 of them they have never done it before. If they are uncomfortable and ineffective in the wide zone ditch it and go to something they DO know and ARE effective in. By the way, this is something else that playing them as a unit in preseason would have uncovered - you shouldn't be doing this in games that count.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 11:08 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: How is it that other teams have injured veterans replaced with 2nd and sometimes 3rd line players and never seem to miss a beat? Didn't Dallas have 2 or 3 vet OLmen out? Didn't seem to bother them too much. Brady lost Gronk, Kappa and their Center 3 weeks ago. They won today. Their patch line looked pretty good to me. 45 YO Brady was on balls of his feet lookin downfield for an open man and most times found one today in their 4th Q win.

What is different with the Bengals? They look like a car with 2 flat tires out there. How come we can't "plug & play" and make it acceptable?

Pretty sure Brady lost his top 3 WR’s too.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 02:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 100% agree, and I was also a big Pollack guy.

It's just the natural progression of blame. First you look at talent, then you look at other possible reasons (are sacks on the QB, etc), then finally you start to look at coaching, starting with the position then moving up.

I agree except.. talent does not mean success, there are players that come out of college considered not so talented yet they succeed and there are those that come out talented and don't.  Also players have to make adjustments just like coaches.. I feel we are lacking in both right now, coaches need to get better but at same time, players have to also get better if we act like coaches are the only issue, what does that say for players with talent ?
Reply/Quote