Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think this is a good idea
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-P-R-Forum-Closing-on-Weekends

There is so much going on and people are getting so heated (the name calling has really ratcheted up over the last couple weeks) that maybe a couple days of cooling off would help once a week.

I've enjoyed this section being open because the news happens so fast.  It's already been a week since Barr lied about the SDNY aty stepping down on a Friday night!  But I don't want the entire section shut down permanently because people takes things personally and then make personal attacks.

Just my two cents.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
The chili always runs extra hot in Presidential election years, but this time we have the Chef Emeril of Presidents who lives on twitter going "Bam"  with the ghost peppers.

Add in the first world-wide pandemic shutdown in over a century, and have it immediately be turned into a political issue because of the impact on the economy in an election year.  For good measure make it have a much larger impact on the African American community.

While that mixture is simmering stir in a series of racially charged incidents of authoritities either killing or protecting the killers of black people.  Have the last one end with the most chilling image of a dead black man since Emmit Till.

There is not enough ice cream in the world to keep that shit from burning when it comes out.

I am just shocked that we haven't had a big shooting spree.  So far only one little one that I knw of.  Seems like the type of psychos who go on shooting sprees would be especially agitated right now.

Maybe it is a good thing we have places like this message board to go take a dump.
It might have something to do with the way you and your clique talk to anyone who has a dissenting opinion. Being snide and condescending and then feigning ignorance and claiming to be the victim when others respond in kind is not a recipe for a cordial debate. Be the change you say you want in others, it'd be a start.
(06-26-2020, 03:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The chili always runs extra hot in Presidential election years, but this time we have the Chef Emeril of Presidents who lives on twitter going "Bam"  with the ghost peppers.

Add in the first world-wide pandemic shutdown in over a century, and have it immediately be turned into a political issue because of the impact on the economy in an election year.  For good measure make it have a much larger impact on the African American community.

While that mixture is simmering stir in a series of racially charged incidents of authoritities either killing or protecting the killers of black people.  Have the last one end with the most chilling image of a dead black man since Emmit Till.

There is not enough ice cream in the world to keep that shit from burning when it comes out.

I am just shocked that we haven't had a big shooting spree.  So far only one little one that I knw of.  Seems like the type of psychos who go on shooting sprees would be especially agitated right now.

Maybe it is a good thing we have places like this message board to go take a dump.

Ghost pepper. Pshaw. I’m growing Carolina reapers this year. I won’t eat one of the damned things but I know people who like to make food inedible with heat so I’ll give them to them.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-26-2020, 03:44 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It might have something to do with the way you and your clique talk to anyone who has a dissenting opinion.  Being snide and condescending and then feigning ignorance and claiming to be the victim when others respond in kind is not a recipe for a cordial debate. Be the change you say you want in others, it'd be a start.

I don't want to brag, but I have already started taking steps in that direction.

3 hours ago in th "Bad Boys" thread I responded to a post you made where you called anyone who disagreed with you a "simpleton".

I posted a fact that showed that you were lacking important knowledge about the issue and called you a "simpleton" for being wrong.

Then Dill chided me for my language and ask me to de-escalate by refusing to answer in kind.

So I agreed and edited out the line where I called you a simpleton.
(06-26-2020, 04:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't want to brag, but I have already started taking steps in that direction.

3 hours ago in th "Bad Boys" thread I responded to a post you made where you called anyone who disagreed with you a "simpleton".

I posted a fact that showed that your fully understand the argument and called you a "Simpleton" for being wrong.

The Dill chided me for my language and ask me to de-escalate by refusing to answer in kind.

And I applaud you for that.  I have also responded in kind in the thread, although I would ask that you please refrain from casting aspersions when they are not warranted and stick to arguing based on facts, or admitted opinions.  You still made things personal in your post, just without an obvious epithet thrown in the mix.
(06-26-2020, 04:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Ghost pepper. Pshaw. I’m growing Carolina reapers this year.

Have to be SOUTH Carolina Reapers for Emeril Trump to use them.
(06-26-2020, 04:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: And I applaud you for that.  I have also responded in kind in the thread, although I would ask that you please refrain from casting aspersions when they are not warranted and stick to arguing based on facts, or admitted opinions.  You still made things personal in your post, just without an obvious epithet thrown in the mix.

Okey dokey.
(06-26-2020, 04:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: And I applaud you for that.  I have also responded in kind in the thread, although I would ask that you please refrain from casting aspersions when they are not warranted and stick to arguing based on facts, or admitted opinions.  You still made things personal in your post, just without an obvious epithet thrown in the mix.

You just posted this about me 5 minutes ago.

(06-26-2020, 04:11 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This is an excellent example of the sanctimony and hypocrisy you engage in on a regular basis.

Excellent work at de-escalating, officer.
This forum is a microcosm of what is happening with the occupations and statue destruction.

Seattle's Mayor welcomed the Summer of Love and now shakes her fist at them

The DC Mayor welcomed the protesters now asks they no longer continue to destroy statues.

When this forum first started I suggested and made a couple pleas that decorum be more stressed in this forum but it was decided we'd go with 'self-moderation". How's that working out for CHOP?

I'm no saint, but personally feel I've had to pay a stiffer fine(s) that most for my posts. Not questioning any moderation just provided how I view it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Y’all need to not be so thin skinned
(06-26-2020, 04:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't want to brag, but I have already started taking steps in that direction.

I posted a fact that showed that you were lacking important knowledge about the issue and called you a "simpleton" for being wrong.

Then Dill chided me for my language and ask me to de-escalate by refusing to answer in kind.

You're so full of shit

Actually you left it and drew a line through it so everyone could still read it instead of simply deleting it. But yeah, good form. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-26-2020, 04:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're so full of shit

Actually you left it and drew a line through it so everyone could still read it instead of simply deleting it. But yeah, good form. 

Wrong.  Dill drew that line when he quoted me and ask that I remove it.

I then delected the line, but it will still show up in Dill's quote with a line through it.
[Image: tumblr_mvyveuXspK1r4vc5no1_400.gifv]
Why now all of a sudden? It's been going on for the last 4 years. And you've put in your fair share. Now you cry chill, and we are supposed to believe that you actually mean it? 

Are you apologizing for your behavior as well? 
All we are saying

Is give peace a chance.
(06-26-2020, 03:44 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It might have something to do with the way you and your clique talk to anyone who has a dissenting opinion.  Being snide and condescending and then feigning ignorance and claiming to be the victim when others respond in kind is not a recipe for a cordial debate. Be the change you say you want in others, it'd be a start.

I'm not sure who the whole clique is, but some posters feed off of other posters. It's mutual and it causes threads to derail and the civility to crumble. It's not just one group. 

It starts with intentional trolling, though. Snark and shitty posts here and there are one thing, but when your whole purpose is to just troll then that causes issues. As soon as someone does, just stop responding to them. Don't take the bait. That's what they want and it feeds them. If enough people took this approach then we'd have less problems. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I have the perfect answer to restoring civility.

the single biggest thing that ruins threads is when a person (from either side) gets caught saying something wrong and then will not admit it.

So we keep a scoreboard sticky thread for every time a poster admits he is wrong.

Lets turn humility back into a virtue instead of a sign of weakness.

Lets celebrate honesty in debate.
(06-26-2020, 08:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have the perfect answer to restoring civility.

the single biggest thing that ruins threads is when a person (from either side) gets caught saying something wrong and then will not admit it.

So we keep a scoreboard sticky thread for every time a poster admits he is wrong.

Lets turn humility back into a virtue instead of a sign of weakness.

Lets celebrate honesty in debate.

On second thought never mind.

If points are involved I can see fights breaking out over if a member really did admit he was wrong or not.  

Whoever had the authority to award the pints would be accused of playing favorites.

There would be postings of multiple dictionary definitions of "apologize".

And posts about the historically racist concepts associated with awarding points.

And then a random in-depth boring discussion of World War II history.

A total shit show.
(06-26-2020, 06:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: [Image: tumblr_mvyveuXspK1r4vc5no1_400.gifv]
I, for one appreciate having a P&R section to go to, even more so in the off season. I may have disagreements with other posters from time to time, but I try to respect every posters opinion and have learned so much from this section of the website. If someone goes a little to far, there are mods that can issue warnings, suspensions, and even full on bans if need be. This site seems to be policed pretty well so I hope this section remains open and a big "ThankYou" to the moderators and to you Bengalholic for making it happen.