Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I thought I saw Blocking against Miami
Am I wrong ? I thought I saw some Running Lanes due to Blocking, which then set up Pass Blocking. I hope that is what I saw. IF Bengals can Block and Tackle for the first time in years, they would be dangerous. They have the Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receivers. But none of those are any good without Blocking. But if Bengals have Blocking, they could be dangerous. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw some Blocking out there today against Miami

. Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 08:36 PM)kevin Wrote: Am I wrong ?  I thought I saw some Running Lanes due to Blocking, which then set up Pass Blocking.  I hope that is what I saw.  IF Bengals can Block and Tackle for the first time in years, they would be dangerous. They have the Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receivers. But none of those are any good without Blocking.  But if Bengals have Blocking, they could be dangerous.  I could be wrong, but I thought I saw some Blocking out there today against Miami

. Tiger

Was this the first pre season game you watched this year, because pass blocking has been excellent. 3 games, and I don't really remember a sac.
Reply/Quote
Depends on how they hold up against everyone else's starters instead of the scrubs. Preseason basically is the time when the dead weight washes out, but that's pretty much true for every team..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 08:51 PM)grampahol Wrote: Depends on how they hold up against everyone else's starters instead of the scrubs. Preseason basically is the time when the dead weight washes out, but that's pretty much true for every team..

Our starting Oline held up against Tampa Bay and WFT's starters. No one touched our QBs.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 08:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Was this the first pre season game you watched this year, because pass blocking has been excellent. 3 games, and I don't really remember a sac.

See, you are talking Pass Blocking.  I am talking Running Lanes, and NO, I have not seen Running Lanes out of this team in Years, but I thought I saw some Today against Miami. 

The Reason I am focused on Running Lanes is that Bengals can not try to have Joe Burrow try to lead the NFL in Pass Attempts as they tried to do last year. Burrow will end up back in The Hospital and have a short career like Greg Cook. 

So I'm NOT talking pass blocking.  I'm talking RUN BLOCKING, and I thought I finally saw some Running Lanes and Runners having a chance to pound the rock.  MIXON is also on this team, and it should not be Pass, Pass, Pass until Joe Burrow gets clobbered again.  FIRE off the Line, Open a Lane, Give Mixon a hole to run through.  I thought I saw THAT type of RUN BLOCKING Today. I hope so. RUN BLOCKING is THE KEY to this team Winning or Losing.  RUN BLOCKING eats clock and that makes Defense give up less points. RUN BLOCKING keeps Burrow from having to pass every play until some defensive monster ends his career early and forever.

I SAW NO RUN BLOCKING AGAINST TAMPA...NONE....NO RUNNING LANES AT ALL. ...Today was Better.....If this awful O Line over that last 4 seasons can get it together in 2021, This Team Can Win....And I Want This Team To Win....I don't want to see Burrow become the NFL punching Bag just because Bengals can not Run Block.....But Today, I thought I saw Run Blocking.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It appears Michael Jordan has fallen out of favor.

Price and Smith looked good.

Never got to see why Reiff got a personal foul.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 09:46 PM)kevin Wrote: See, you are talking Pass Blocking.  I am talking Running Lanes, and NO, I have not seen Running Lanes out of this team in Years, but I thought I saw some Today against Miami. 

The Reason I am focused on Running Lanes is that Bengals can not try to have Joe Burrow try to lead the NFL in Pass Attempts as they tried to do last year. Burrow will end up back in The Hospital and have a short career like Greg Cook. 

So I'm NOT talking pass blocking.  I'm talking RUN BLOCKING, and I thought I finally saw some Running Lanes and Runners having a chance to pound the rock.  MIXON is also on this team, and it should not be Pass, Pass, Pass until Joe Burrow gets clobbered again.  FIRE off the Line, Open a Lane, Give Mixon a hole to run through.  I thought I saw THAT type of RUN BLOCKING Today. I hope so. RUN BLOCKING is THE KEY to this team Winning or Losing.  RUN BLOCKING eats clock and that makes Defense give up less points. RUN  BLOCKING keeps Burrow from having to pass every play until some defensive monster ends his career early and forever.

I SAW NO RUN BLOCKING AGAINST TAMPA...NONE....NO RUNNING LANES AT ALL. ...Today was Better.

Well I guess you confused me when you mentioned pass blocking..... so I thought you were talking about both Ninja

Quote:Am I wrong ?  I thought I saw some Running Lanes due to Blocking, which then set up Pass Blocking. 
And to be honest, if it's pass blocking or run blocking, I'll take pass blocking all day.
Reply/Quote
Well sure, our o-line can protect Brandon Allen....
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 09:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well I guess you confused me when you mentioned pass blocking..... so I thought you were talking about both Ninja

And to be honest, if it's pass blocking or run blocking, I'll take pass blocking all day.
and You would get Burrow killed, because no quarterback can pass all day. Trying to do that got Burrow killed last season. MIXON is also on this team, and They Need To Use Him. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 09:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well I guess you confused me when you mentioned pass blocking..... so I thought you were talking about both Ninja

Well, that same shitty run blocking also led to Mixon being out for 10 games last season, so there is also that to consider.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 10:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, that same shitty run blocking also led to Mixon being out for 10 games last season, so there is also that to consider.

Cause he kept getting hit on his foot? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If we play and coach scared like that first series we’re not winning many games. Gotta be balanced and use the pass to set up the run, and run to set up the pass.

I want more balance this year. Hope to see the line improve.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 09:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Never got to see why Reiff got a personal foul.

He just gave one of the Dolphin guys a shoulder check/swipe at the end of that failed Chase play. It was unnecessary but I think the guy definitely flopped as I don't think he really made that much contact with him.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 10:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, that same shitty run blocking also led to Mixon being out for 10 games last season, so there is also that to consider.

... which led to us throwing the ball way more than we should have, which ended the season. 

And I'm not sure why giving up only one preseason sack is an indicator we've improved our pass protection. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 10:50 PM)Benton Wrote: ... which led to us throwing the ball way more than we should have, which ended the season. 

And I'm not sure why giving up only one preseason sack is an indicator we've improved our pass protection. 

You're right, it's not an indicator that they have improved.  However, what I have noticed throughout the preseason, in regard to the OL, is that they appear to be much more well orchestrated in working as a unit.  Much less blown assignments, followed by looks that might say "I thought you were going to pick him up?".  Sure, we haven't been watching RBs gashing the defenses for massive rips, but when I watch them execute, they seem to all be operating off of the same sheet of music.  On one particular play in the 1st Qtr. I noticed Billy Price chipping on the DT, then peeling to the second level and executing a strong block on a LB.  Getting back to doing what he did in college that got him that 1st round draft selection.

So, while I was crabbing about how bad our backup defenders looked in another thread, I will stand up and say that it appears that the OL is making some progress.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I was actually at the game today and from my seat in section 118 I could see the blocking very well. Pass blocking overall is slightly better and interior run blocking is improved somewhat. However, blocking on runs to the outside and blocking on screen passes is absolutely terrible. Today all the longer runs went predominantly through the A- and B-gaps but runs to the edges and sweeps got blown up.

After some observation of all three preseason games I can see what Frank Pollack is doing: He’s fixing the footwork first and moving up the body from there; hand placement and upper body leverage will be the last pieces to fall in place.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 11:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I was actually at the game today and from my seat in section 118 I could see the blocking very well. Pass blocking overall is slightly better and interior run blocking is improved somewhat.  However, blocking on runs to the outside and blocking on screen passes is absolutely terrible.  Today all the longer runs went predominantly through the A- and B-gaps but runs to the edges and sweeps got blown up.

After some observation of all three preseason games I can see what Frank Pollack is doing: He’s fixing the footwork first and moving up the body from there; hand placement and upper body leverage will be the last pieces to fall in place.

I did like our blocking and it wasn't about pressures or holes but more about the technique and schemes.

The run blocking didn't look great but Mixon, when he's running hard, doesn't need the best blocking, especially if we have a passing game to keep defenses honest.

Let's hope our line can keep it up!
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 09:46 PM)kevin Wrote: See, you are talking Pass Blocking.  I am talking Running Lanes, and NO, I have not seen Running Lanes out of this team in Years, but I thought I saw some Today against Miami. 

So I'm NOT talking pass blocking.  I'm talking RUN BLOCKING, and I thought I finally saw some Running Lanes and Runners having a chance to pound the rock.  MIXON is also on this team, and it should not be Pass, Pass, Pass until Joe Burrow gets clobbered again.  FIRE off the Line, Open a Lane, Give Mixon a hole to run through.  I thought I saw THAT type of RUN BLOCKING Today. I hope so. RUN BLOCKING is THE KEY to this team Winning or Losing.  RUN BLOCKING eats clock and that makes Defense give up less points. RUN  BLOCKING keeps Burrow from having to pass every play until some defensive monster ends his career early and forever.

I SAW NO RUN BLOCKING AGAINST TAMPA...NONE....NO RUNNING LANES AT ALL. ...Today was Better.....If this awful O Line over that last 4 seasons can get it together in 2021, This Team Can Win....And I Want This Team To Win....I don't want to see Burrow become the NFL punching Bag just because Bengals can not Run Block.....But Today, I thought I saw Run Blocking.

You're spiraling.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 09:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well sure, our o-line can protect Brandon Allen....

I suspect Allen gets rid of the ball quicker?  Anyone have video to time him with Burrow?
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2021, 09:57 PM)kevin Wrote: and You would get Burrow killed, because no quarterback can pass all day. Trying to do that got Burrow killed last season. MIXON is also on this team, and They Need To Use Him. 

No, but most teams throw quite a bit more than they run. Cincinnati is no different. I would expect Joe to be dropping back 35-ish times a game if things are going well. If he’s dropping back more than that, then we stink. This team will certainly be a pass first team. I’d expect something like 55/45 pass run at minimum.
Reply/Quote