[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 02:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: O-line PFF grades:

Jonah Williams - 68.5
Quinton Spain - 75.2
Trey Hopkins - 45.3
Jackson Carman - 44.4
Riley Reiff - 64.4

Let the arrows fly, but that's pretty blah. We might win a championship with a pretty blech line, but when 2/5ths of your line is grading THAT badly, that needs to be your priority in the offseason.

The line definitely seemed to improve in the 2nd half but they did have a pretty rough being of the game it seemed. I wonder if that caused some low scores.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 06:48 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: The line definitely seemed to improve in the 2nd half but they did have a pretty rough being of the game it seemed. I wonder if that caused some low scores.

The Rats O-line scores better be terrible by PFF as we had 5 sacks and constant pressure...
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 02:41 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Well.  Joe still has small hands and there's nothing we can do about it.

Yep, definitely needs bigger, more manly hands.

[Image: 8y7lBE.gif]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 01:43 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: I’ll be the naysayer. Why cant the team convert a 3rd and 1? It’s a r
Tiger Who Dey
Because they prefer converting 4th and 1's to keep things interesting.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 03:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel they've been pretty accurate. Hopkins and Carman have been pretty rough.

The line has held up better than last year for sure, but it's still been shaky at times, largely due to the interior. We gave up a ton of pressures yesterday, but Burrow did a good job avoiding some sacks and making plays.

We've also struggled running in some short yardage situations, which may play into those overall grades. Carman is a rookie, so hopefully we see some growth as the season progresses.

Believe Carman will turn out to be fine with experience per having a real good head on his shoulders

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The end zone dances need improvement.
Reply/Quote
Really have nothing to complain about after that win either, but going too anyway lol.

Will start by saying I love that Joe Burrow is the Bengals QB and want nobody other than him at the helm.

But he still has some growing to do even as good as he already is playing and leading.

First he needs to practice sliding instead of taking unnecessary hits.

Plus needs to NOT go all Favre on every single play and learn when to just throw the ball away on broken plays.

Would also like to see him get those bullets he throws over the middle down some where only the WR can catch the ball. He throws them high and hard at times over the middle and that is not good if throw is errant and WR can't get hand on it or only tips it and the ball sails down the middle of the field.

That being said believe he will do all this on his own as he watches film from week to week.

So really not sweating it, just stating it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 06:48 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: The line definitely seemed to improve in the 2nd half but they did have a pretty rough being of the game it seemed. I wonder if that caused some low scores.

Just to clarify, those are the PFF grades for the entire season, not for last game.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 09:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just to clarify, those are the PFF grades for the entire season, not for last game.

Thanks for clarifying Shake. Thought they were for the Ravens game. I take back my earlier post then.

I liked seeing the improvement the last couple weeks. That is what I have been wanting to see.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 09:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just to clarify, those are the PFF grades for the entire season, not for last game.

Okay I guess I missed that. Still I think the line has been improving over the course of the season thus far. I've also seen some really good play out of Carman at times. I know he certainly hasn't been consistent but the good out ways the bad so I don't like a score in the 40's.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 04:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's quietly a lot of if's.

If we re-sign Spain and Reiff.
If Carman makes a big jump.
If we sign/draft a good Center.

It can certainly be done, I just think you're making it sound like a little simpler and forgone than it actually will be.

As they're playing now, Spain and Jonah are good. The rest is a problem.

Reiff is doing fine, but he's not a long-term solution. We still have to build up a tackle, which takes multiple seasons. Hopkins is bad. Carman looks far off from being good (I'll cut him some slack as it takes linemen years to get to where they need to be).

We're either going to have to toss a lot of money into free agency or throw a few picks at one or two spots.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 11:16 PM)Benton Wrote: As they're playing now, Spain and Jonah are good. The rest is a problem.

Reiff is doing fine, but he's not a long-term solution. We still have to build up a tackle, which takes multiple seasons. Hopkins is bad. Carman looks far off from being good (I'll cut him some slack as it takes linemen years to get to where they need to be).

We're either going to have to toss a lot of money into free agency or throw a few picks at one or two spots.

Its going to make for some interesting decisions. This team can contend for championships now, so do they really want to develop linemen? Or do they spend big in FA and possibly risk losing somebody down the road?

The best choice at this point might be find a couple "value" guys in FA, which isn't something I would've wanted in the past, but I've had to adjust how I view things based on how great this team is playing right now.

Or maybe we can afford one really good lineman with the cap going up?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

It can certainly be done, I just think you're making it sound like a little simpler and forgone than it actually will be.

Spain is playing well enough that there will be competition to sign him.

I think Carman will be good, he just needs to continue to adapt to guard life.

Center is a total crapshoot. 

I also want to know which LT shows up the rest of the season. 

There is still a lot of questions with this group. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 11:16 PM)Benton Wrote: As they're playing now, Spain and Jonah are good. The rest is a problem.

Which still leaves us a year of them developing with a situation where the line isn't very good.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
There might be some competition for Spain’s services, but I don’t see why we wouldn’t be able to get a deal done. As long as we make him a decent offer. He’ll get to stay in Cincinnati, playing for an up and coming team, where he gets to block for Joe Burrow and Joe Mixon. And here he’ll continue to have one of the better OL coaches in the league in Pollack. Who has helped him have a career year.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 06:33 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There might be some competition for Spain’s services, but I don’t see why we wouldn’t be able to get a deal done. As long as we make him a decent offer. He’ll get to stay in Cincinnati, playing for an up and coming team, where he gets to block for Joe Burrow and Joe Mixon. And here he’ll continue to have one of the better OL coaches in the league in Pollack. Who has helped him have a career year.

Yeah, it seems to me our players might be reluctant to leave now and be more apt to sign extensions. Who would want to leave this locker room and go to some other team, especially since there are Championships on the horizon?
Reply/Quote

Carmen is only going to get better.  Heck, by the end of the game he was really getting great push.

Needs to firm up pass pro but heck he's a rookie and has only played 4 or 5 games.  

Dump Trae Wayans (sp.) contract and the other signs are doable.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 09:36 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Carmen is only going to get better.  Heck, by the end of the game he was really getting great push.

Needs to firm up pass pro but heck he's a rookie and has only played 4 or 5 games.  

Dump Trae Wayans (sp.) contract and the other signs are doable.

Was just watching the highlights and focused on Carman during the Perine touchdown. WOW! 
Reply/Quote
This team might be another 2005 team.
Reply/Quote