Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I was wrong about Hayden Hurst - I'll take my crow medium rare, plz
A few months ago, I was very vocal about how much I thought losing CJ Uzomah had hurt the team, both statistically and "in the locker room" via missing leadership.  I didn't think Hayden Hurst could adequately replace him in either capacity.  I was wrong.

He has really won me over... I'll take my serving of crow... medium rare.

[Image: images.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 09:30 PM)Tomkat Wrote: A few months ago, I was very vocal about how much I thought losing CJ Uzomah had hurt the team, both statistically and "in the locker room" via missing leadership.  I didn't think Hayden Hurst could adequately replace him in either capacity.  I was wrong.

He was always going to be the more productive player. I wasn’t sure on the locker room side, but he (and karras) has been awesome.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Better make that crow well done, trust me....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 09:30 PM)Tomkat Wrote: A few months ago, I was very vocal about how much I thought losing CJ Uzomah had hurt the team, both statistically and "in the locker room" via missing leadership.  I didn't think Hayden Hurst could adequately replace him in either capacity.  I was wrong.

He is not the equal in the locker room.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 09:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He is not the equal in the locker room.

We aren't starved for leadership in the locker room. CJ didn't have the reputation his whole career. I assume he just got to be vocal because he was the longest tenured.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 09:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He is not the equal in the locker room.

Do you know first hand?
Reply/Quote

dont really need Uzomah's attitude with Karras and Burrow here
Reply/Quote
Good on ya for taking that. Hard to make a strong take/case and come around to see the other side and admit it.

Also, I don't really believe in hindsight that CJ's locker room presence was really leadership, and more being vocal because of the extra media attention, since he wasn't like that in down years or his career prior. I could be wrong and that's fine, but I don't feel like we've had an ounce of drop-off from CJ to Hurst, and have been plenty happy with the Hurst play this season.
Reply/Quote
I loved the signing a soon as it was announced. Thought he would be productive and he has been. Love his toughnesss. One of my favorites.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote

I like my steak medium rare, but the parasites in a crow? Take it burned to a crisp, especially since crows are often mistaken for Ravens. I think the only way to stomach a Raven is when it's beaten beyond recognition and cooked extra crispy!
Reply/Quote

Burrow is the leader on this team !!!

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
No one is eating anything. It's just words. 

Stupid saying. Rant

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 09:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: Better make that crow well done, trust me....

He's right, Ive had to eat plenty in my day

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 10:25 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Do you know first hand?

I kinda do... Sooner, like many fans, believes that CJ was a leader in the locker room.  I was told that CJ is a good guy, well liked, but more of a hype guy than leader. In fact the hype could get a little overboard, especially around media resulting in some eye rolls.

Hurst is quiet, CJ was loud and excited so it would appear that CJ had more impact off the field... but make no mistake, the leaders last year were Burrow, Mixon, Boyd, Reader, Hubbard, Bell, Bates, and Hilton. Not surprising they still are this year with Chase increasing his leadership and now Karras on the line.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 10:25 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: dont really need Uzomah's attitude with Karras and Burrow here

Oh I think they made up for it but Hurst may one day reach Uzomah’s level. And my comment wasn’t meant to be a knock on him at all. C J Uzomah was special and I know for fact Zac really was disappointed they couldn’t keep him.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 11:58 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Burrow is the leader on this team !!!

Never said he wasn’t. Said Hurst was not on C J Uzomah’s level in the locker room.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 10:25 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: dont really need Uzomah's attitude with Karras and Burrow here

Not disagreeing but the comparison was Hurst. Never said they even missed Uzomah’s locker room presence. The comparison was Hurst. And that’s not condemning Hurst either.

Reply/Quote
Never a bad time to join the Hurst Train.... I always thought he'd be more productive than CJ. Only worried I had was his blocking ability.

I hope Hurst realizes that an elite QB like Burrow will keep him productive but don't over value his worth. Stay with the team on a friendly deal and be a Cincinnati lifer!
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 12:29 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Never said he wasn’t. Said Hurst was not on C J Uzomah’s level in the locker room.

Disagree and remember Burrow had to correct him publicly when CJ said the Bengals would embrace the underdog role in the playoffs and then was told by Joe that the Bengals deserved to be there and did not think of themselves as underdogs at all, but equals.  

Then again when CJ said "why not us" yet came back and had to say "Joe is right" and a new motto was born "It is us". 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I always thought Hurst would surpass CJ in productivity. I thought that because he just looks faster in his routes. I don't think when you look at times he really is, but to the eye test he seems faster to me. CJ always looked slow. (and I know it's because of his stride)
Reply/Quote