Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I was wrong about Hayden Hurst - I'll take my crow medium rare, plz
(01-09-2023, 04:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: One of the best abilities is availability. He had the whole next year to step up with a QB who doesn't throw to WRs and didn't.

all I know is Hurst is better than Uzomah. That's that
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 09:30 PM)Tomkat Wrote: A few months ago, I was very vocal about how much I thought losing CJ Uzomah had hurt the team, both statistically and "in the locker room" via missing leadership.  I didn't think Hayden Hurst could adequately replace him in either capacity.  I was wrong.

He has really won me over... I'll take my serving of crow... medium rare.

[Image: images.jpeg]

[Image: 55i33kekbdf91.jpg?auto=webp&s=05856e1059...1a01002175]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Keep Hurst (if the cost is in line) and draft a TE.

We need depth/improvement/and healthy competition in the TE group.

Drew Sample is the obvious guy who needs to go.

No real reason to keep harping on this subject.

Cheaper starting TE with about the same numbers.

Seems like a waste of energy to debate... but whatever.

Also, last time I checked this complete season isn't over.

What if Hurst makes some spectacular plays in the playoffs?

Kind of early to be making a full judgement on his team worth.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 04:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: One of the best abilities is availability. He had the whole next year to step up with a QB who doesn't throw to WRs and didn't.

I don't disagree regarding availability, and usually agree with you on most things, but just don't get the negativity on Hurst. 

Reply/Quote
I see the TE and WR strategy moving forward as very fluid situations. We have Asiasi under contract for next year, and Wilcox will be a restricted free agent, but that’s it for commitments. Next year will also be the last season for having the big 3 receivers, so the best case ( if possible) would be to extend Hurst on a team-friendly contract and then draft both a TE and WR in the middle rounds and see who pans out for 2024. 3 of the first 5 picks in 2023 should probably be defense and OL, because we won’t be able to sign many veterans to 3rd contracts.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 10:25 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: dont really need Uzomah's attitude with Karras and Burrow here

Cappa. Thomas. Wilson. Reader. Hubbard. Hendrickson. Bell. Awuzie.

Taylor drafted a ton of high character guys. Captains. Coache's sons. ADG. Bailey. The list goes on. 
Reply/Quote
I fully expect Hurst to be re-signed and paired with a rookie TE. The Bengals were looking at Trey McBride last year. I expect us to look at TEs again.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 09:30 PM)Tomkat Wrote: A few months ago, I was very vocal about how much I thought losing CJ Uzomah had hurt the team, both statistically and "in the locker room" via missing leadership.  I didn't think Hayden Hurst could adequately replace him in either capacity.  I was wrong.

He has really won me over... I'll take my serving of crow... medium rare.

[Image: images.jpeg]

Looks like a Raven.  Good omen.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hurst is better than Uzomah.
Sample is not going to be cut, he is on the team for his blocking ability, not his pass catching talent. People need to just get over his draft spot, it's done and can't be changed.
Wilcox will continue to ascend as he gets more playing time.
Reply/Quote
Hayden hit one of his contract incentives on Sunday by making his 50th reception. This was easily his 2nd best season of his career second only to his 2020 season in Atlanta. He would have easily beat that season if he hadn’t missed 3 games (really 4). The only stat may not have exceeded was yards per catch.

Our tight ends will never be high reception guys. There are only so many pass attempts per game and with our WRs and ability of our RBs to catch, it’s tough for them to get a lot of targets.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Hurst is a welcomed addition to the bengals, he impressed me very early on. He didn't even stood out much when we would play the ravens during his tenure there. This leads me to believe he is at his peak, right now with this team and I love it.

Uzomah is great too, but Hurst's power is unmatched. He can be used to some capacity as a WR or even as a Fullback! He is in the TE we've lacked for years. (the Kelce, Witten, Gronk, Gates, etc)
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 09:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hurst is better than Uzomah.
Sample is not going to be cut, he is on the team for his blocking ability, not his pass catching talent. People need to just get over his draft spot, it's done and can't be changed.
Wilcox will continue to ascend as he gets more playing time.

Isn't he a free agent next season? Hmm
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 09:41 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Isn't he a free agent next season? Hmm

Rocker what’s up pal?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 09:41 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Isn't he a free agent next season? Hmm

Yes. I don't see the Bengals bringing him back.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

He might be. If he is, it won't surprise me to see them re-sign him. Of course, it won't surprise me if they don't. But he was never brought here to catch passes. He was brought here to be a blocker and help out a fledgling Oline.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 10:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He might be. If he is, it won't surprise me to see them re-sign him. Of course, it won't surprise me if they don't. But he was never brought here to catch passes. He was brought here to be a blocker and help out a fledgling Oline.

It was my impression that he didn't have the numbers in college because the QB ignored him as a pass catcher.

He was open but not thrown to...  which meant he was underutilized(analysis, not my own opinion)but had the perceived skills to be a receiving TE.

You add what I stated above with reaching for him, then you can see why he's considered a flop.

Don't get me wrong.  I have seen him grade well in blocking.

I just am not sure if he was intended to be one dimensional as a draft pick by our team.
Reply/Quote